Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Metal_illness

Tier 8 premium ships and their obsoletion

22 comments in this topic

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,345 posts
9,225 battles

With all these grinds for steel, coal, RBP to obtain super ships that are considered very powerful at tier 9 and 10, my tier 8 premium ships spend less and less time being played at all.

It's very obvious the direction WG have taken, and the fact that majority of dockyard ships are added to my obsolete list of premium 8s, is disheartening.

Now I don't even bother wanting any tier 8 premium ships, only 9 and 10.

And Ragnar comes out...in the RAREST and HARDEST to obtain in game ONLY currency...steel.

[IMS]
2,537 posts
27,782 battles
3 hours ago, Metal_illness said:

With all these grinds for steel, coal, RBP to obtain super ships that are considered very powerful at tier 9 and 10, my tier 8 premium ships spend less and less time being played at all.

It's very obvious the direction WG have taken, and the fact that majority of dockyard ships are added to my obsolete list of premium 8s, is disheartening.

And Ragnar comes out...in the RAREST and HARDEST to obtain in game ONLY currency...steel.

Still playing my Massa, Asashio and Atago the MOST

Edited by Andy_Siau

219 posts
14,069 battles
1 hour ago, Metal_illness said:

Been playing ranked with T8s over the weekend. Not an issue for me. Massa, Kaga and my newest addition USS Kidd are a blast to play. I don't see an issue being uptiered in randoms. Will get more experience and credits doing damage to T9s and T10s. It is ironic that T8s contribute more in higher tier games due to the campy passive playstyle of the T10 players. More often than not T8s play near the caps and win games whether we like it or not. The occasional top tier games allow you to bully ships with lower range too and weaker armour too. 

• Cool 2

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
4,298 posts
18,895 battles

Kaga is still a beast. She's the closest thing to the "unlimited plane factory" nonsense preached by the Anti-CV dummies. Indomitable is also in the same league with the ability to "slingshot" through the flak walls.

DDs like Kidd & Cossack are also strong in their own league. One has heal & godlike AA, while the other is a straight upgrade from Lightning.

• Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,345 posts
9,225 battles

I play very aggressively in JB atm, I'm trying to farm credits, but often still only earn 500k for 20mins of intense focus, camo, signals and prem account active.

Feels like credit farming has become so much harder.

I used to farm credits with my Bayard who could generate 1m+ credits every random battle if we won.

I might have to return to my tier 8s if they can still farm more credits.

[TLS]
5,846 posts
24,614 battles
20 minutes ago, Metal_illness said:

Feels like credit farming has become so much harder.

Of course. weegee wants you to spend more time on the game to inflate their spreadshit statistics.

[O7]
349 posts

Premium ship Tirpitz is the worst performing T8 BB on the Asia server.    Its early history was know as the Derpitz due to players,  umm,  misplaying the ship

I'm surprised to see North Carolina as the second worst.  Don't ask me which I thought would be the worst.  I just didn't think NC would be one of them.

[H20]
2,135 posts
7,765 battles
22 分鐘前,Jayde2405 說:

Don't ask me which I thought would be the worst.

I guess Bismarck

[SMOKE]
4,372 posts
24,372 battles

Is it just T8 and is it just premium ships , really when you go into a T5 game and find piloting a premium T5 but find that the game match with double CV or you get into that premium T7 and find yourself constantly having to face T9 .

It's not all about the ships 

But yes many premium and non premium ships not T9 and T10 suffers from spec to fail or at least spec to be grossly dis-advantaged. Even some T9 / T10 tech line and premium too but they had so much on hand to start with that this meta is not apparent.

Can we talk about T6 Shinonome which is awarded for Campaign and bestowed with a grand AA rating of 1 exactly which are of course expected to face T4 to T8 in battle including CV. 

Shall we talk about Shimakaze which are bestow with guns that reload slower than even many T6 DD ( but is not equipped with Torp that can consistently hit )

Can we talk all the Secondary BB , and ....

No it's about wanting people to keep spending to get that next T9/T10 premium so they can made a bunch and then keep repeating. Planned obsolescence in work shall we say.

[H20]
2,135 posts
7,765 battles

Don't like playing T10 at all,too stressful and too little room to breath,I actually love playing T8,not to mention there are many famous historical ships in T8 for you to admire. In T10 you'll face too many WG's fantasy ships like Venezia

But you are right,WG is constantly driving people towards T8 and higher,in my opinion T6 and T8 are the best tiers overall. Maybe T9 also counts,but I find myself not enjoying T9 games like others.

Edited by New_Jersey_prpr

[IMS]
2,537 posts
27,782 battles
12 hours ago, Andy_Siau said:

Still playing my Massa, Asashio and Atago the MOST

And these ships earn the most credits

Edited by Andy_Siau

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,345 posts
9,225 battles
3 hours ago, Jayde2405 said:

Premium ship Tirpitz is the worst performing T8 BB on the Asia server.    Its early history was know as the Derpitz due to players,  umm,  misplaying the ship

I'm surprised to see North Carolina as the second worst.  Don't ask me which I thought would be the worst.  I just didn't think NC would be one of them.

I bought it immediately on release as I love german war machinery, however I quickly dubbed it the Dudpitz.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,345 posts
9,225 battles

Thought I'd go back to my Bayard days, but now have Mainz, so I loaded her up with credit signals and went to work.

Second in team, AA battle hero award, won, 100k dmg, 4 sunk...almost a kraken!, made 1m credits.

I guess I'm back to playing tier 8 prems for credit farming.

[A___A]
79 posts
3,351 battles
3 hours ago, New_Jersey_prpr said:

Don't like playing T10 at all,too stressful and too little room to breath,I actually love playing T8,not to mention there are many famous historical ships in T8 for you to admire. In T10 you'll face too many WG's fantasy ships like Venezia

But you are right,WG is constantly driving people towards T8 and higher,in my opinion T6 and T8 are the best tiers overall. Maybe T9 also counts,but I find myself not enjoying T9 games like others.

Completely agree i love my Arizona its slow and tanky but i feel it still competitive in T7 or T8 battles  took me awhile to get her play style right mind you i am still a potato but i have 61% win ratio in her

And she looks good to

Also like my Massa

Maybe i just like girls with big butts

Yep i bet that song just went straight in your head

[BLESS]
1,702 posts
17,242 battles
4 hours ago, Jayde2405 said:

Tirpitz and N. Cal are very early introductions into the game, and continue to be very popular ships. Popular with potatoes that is.

While N. Cal is still one of the most competitive BBs in the game, Tirpitz has always been rather iffy even in skilled hands, because closing range to close-combat to make use of the gimmick torpedoes is so unreliable... and if you aren't using the torps, you might as well Bismark.

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
987 posts
14,124 battles

In Tirpitz nowadays, the opportunity to use your torpedo launcher became slimmer, if not close to impossible in current meta. Not to mention It can easily disabled or destroyed by HE spammer (especially CL and DD) which is become usual encounter in almost every battles. If we can't use the torpedoes launcher effectively, whats the point to use the ship (Tirpitz) anyway? Meanwhile, if we compare between Bismarck and Tirpitz, at least hydro on Bismarck can be more useful rather than torpedo tubes on Tirpitz.

In the end, It's not the problems that plaguing 1 or 2 ships, but most of early or older ships had similar problems compared to newer ships / tech-tree lines. And yet, the game developer efforts to overcome this kind of problems are... what can I say? Questionable?? maybe?

[TF44]
[TF44]
26 posts
6,843 battles

Tier 8 has pleny of good premiums, Cossack, Kaga, Massa, Atago, Tirpitz, De 7 Prov (dunno why people think its bad), Indomitable, Kutuzov, Mainz...

Probably one of the better tiers in the game to play at 

[KAMI]
837 posts
10,274 battles

From experience in ranked, T8 is so overloaded with excellent/downright op premiums, that its a somewhat a pay2win tier.

[H20]
2,135 posts
7,765 battles
19 小時前,NinoV1 說:

De 7 Prov (dunno why people think its bad)

I think De 7 Prov is not that bad,it's not strong of course,but still playable. The aristrike certainly affects her performance. If she doesn't have that airstrike thing she would be much better.

It's people's way of thinking that matters,some people think not OP/very strong=bad

[IMS]
2,537 posts
27,782 battles
15 hours ago, Verytis said:

From experience in ranked, T8 is so overloaded with excellent/downright op premiums, that its a somewhat a pay2win tier.

Tier 8 tech tree have some very good ships, like:
Amagi, Kagero
North Carolina, Benson
Vladivostok
V. Veneto

[KAMI]
837 posts
10,274 battles
2 hours ago, Andy_Siau said:

Tier 8 tech tree have some very good ships, like:
Amagi, Kagero
North Carolina, Benson
Vladivostok
V. Veneto

Those are fine in the context of randoms.

But if we look at something more competitive and restricted to same tier, such as ranked. Thats a different story.

You can try to counter them with a skill advantage, but the ship advantage is there nevertheless.

Amagi

• lacks armour and AA. Quite decent in randoms due to long ranged nature. Although said just doesn't work well with the ship.

Kagero

• Just poor as a T8, even more so in ranked. A DD's 1st role is to contest against other DDs. Torping capital ships usually comes 2nd. Also, Harekaze and Asashio exist.

NC

• Works fine in randoms because long ranged nature. But in ranked, literally replaced by Massa.

Vlad

• Solid option in the form of Stalinium armour and accuracy, 1 of the good tech trees for T8 ranked. Probs works better in ranked than randoms because limited dmg con.

V. Veneto

• No idea, never gathered enough experience before I stopped playing.

Sign in to follow this