Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jimmywrangles_1

The Kitikama and why it makes a good anchor.

11 comments in this topic

[1NATN]
Beta Tester
192 posts
11,244 battles

So in a mad uncontrolled spending spree I bought the infamous Kitikami yesterday and prepared to dominate with massive torp spam and earn some serious creds.

For the price I had two choices, Kitikami or the Atlanta, I'm a DD driver so the Kitkami seemed the logical choice with 40 torps.

Big Mistake.

Firstly this ship cannot turn

Is slow to accelerate

Is just slow

And burns to death if you look at it with the right intensity.

It's gun placement means you can only fire at targets in front of you which is a shame as you spend all game running away from ships faster than you.

But yes, the torps are good, not great, but with a ten K range they're good....unfortunately the Kitikami's detection range is several hundred K's so a sneak attack is probably not going to work.

But wait, It has smoke now, surely I can lay a smoke screen and launch devastating strikes from behind that dubious cover....No, the Kitikamis smoke lasts a scant 13 seconds, not long enough to make your eyes water let alone launch an attack.

The only saving grace it has is that when the game goes live I get my gold back and right now the Atlanta looks pretty damn good.

And after all that I realize I spelled Kitikami wrong in the title and can't change it...I hate this ship.

Edited by jimmywrangles_1

679 posts
3,491 battles

Its also really really good at TKing.  Got TKed no less than 3 times last night due to noobs in their gold ships.

See that thing 120m of your port side, that's an ally you idiot!

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

In Hatsuharu, Torping BB in 8 to 5 km, Kitakami launch their torp 8 km to my escape route and 8 + 8 = 16 km.....

Alpha Tester
1,637 posts
7,230 battles

With all those torps and a low survival, at least you can farm the reward  'It is but a scratch'. 

Beta Tester
141 posts

WG really hates it, it's true.

Surface detection range is 11.3km.  Torpedo range is 10km.  This right here makes it a newbie trap.  New players don't understand this ratio, while people who've been playing for a while just shake their heads at this ratio for a ship that is supposed to primary its torpedoes.

This thing is literally a low tier American Destroyer.

Except of course, USN DDs don't primary torpedoes, they primary guns.  And have a longer lasting smoke screen.  And are more maneuverable.  And are a smaller target.  All things the Kitakami can't do.

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

Kitakami is a weak ship - no doubt about it. Terrible armor, inadequate gun, but extreme torpedo armament. And that makes it a perfect Tier 8 PREMIUM.

I Truely understand this is the SEA server and people tend to favor IJN ships over other nations' (Most noticeably USN), but I personally do not believe Kitakami is UP for a Premium ship.

It's a bit like the Lowe - Awful mobility, underwhelming armor and Awesome gun. It's plays essentially like an IJN DD - but even more extreme of a sniper. I didn't face the Kitakami too many time, but in the few encounter even in a DD I found it terrifying as the amount of torpedo it can deliver at a time is not something easy to avoid even with a Destroyer if he decided to unload on you.

However - I do agree that any kind of Mobility buff is helpful to make it better and yet not OP. If WG think this is a long range torpedo spamming machine or a super dangerous brawler, give it better mobility or Alternatively give it more smoke and lower it's cool down time.

Kitikami is the ideal way to identify a noob player on your team. (Just like the guy in an IS6)

What? So I am a noob now :( I thought the Jagtiger 88 is the ship of choice....

Beta Tester
141 posts

That's problem, isn't it?

Compared to many other Premium vessels which are very good or even OP for their tier and class (Sims and Gremyaschy, particularly the Sims) , the Kitakami is godawful.  I'd say it's the worst Premium ship out there, except maybe Yuubari.

The stupidly short range of its torpedoes are definitely not compensated for by the morning haze smoke it puts out.  It literally has to become visible to shoot its torpedoes.  Then it's not really fast enough or agile enough to escape everyone unloading on it, especially at Tier 8.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Never go alone in the Kitakami. Ambush and support. Attack targets that are preoccupied with other ships. Use islands and smoke to your advantage. Be bait for your faster DD brethrens. Its not a bad ship at all, when played right. I will repeat what I have said in other threads : "Adapt your playstyle to the vessel you are in, instead of expecting the vessel to adapt to your playstyle".

Beta Tester
2,040 posts
1,326 battles

Did you know that you can reduce your detection range by 22% ? (from 11.2km to approx 8.8km) Get the concealment module and that commander skill on 5th row.

8.7km detection range, and you have 20x 10km torps per broadside, now with added smoke for emergency escape/ambush.

Indeed it takes quite a bit to get that 5th Commander skill for reduced detection range, but if you want to be really successful in it you should invest more time, it should pay off nicely.

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

To be effective in a game not only do you need some enemies to do something silly but more importantly your own team has to realise what you are capable of and where you need to do your biniz ... the amount of times ive run to a  corridor to spam it with torps before its too late and just as I get set one or more team members drive right out in front, I abort and go to next ambush position and hello friendly ships race ahead and block again .. by this time im probably spotted read insta killed ....  it would be nice if the thing could turn in its own smoke screen but alas nope ... you can have an amazing game but it takes 50 hideous ones to do it.  Spamming team chat that you are gonna launch torps unfortunately doesn't help.    I rate this ship as unfriendly if it's on either team ;)  

Sign in to follow this