Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

BRAWL do's and dont's

30 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles

DD Do: Jervis, Z-39, Vauquelin

DD alright: Sims, Mahan, Maas

DD Maybe: Blyskawica

DD Don't: Shiratsuyu, Akatsuki, Minsk

Cruiser Do: Atlanta/Flint, Yorck, Myoko (Yorck is top pick for sure)

Cruiser Maybe: New Orleans

Cruiser Probably Not But They Seem To Work Sometimes: Fiji, Helena, Schorrs

Cruiser Really Don't, like I mean I have seen literally zero of these so far: Surrey, Algerie

BB Do: Gneisenau, Scharnhorst

BB Maybe: SinOP, DoY, KgV, Caracciolo

BB Don't: Colorado, Nagato, Ashitaka

Matchmaking is apparently "skill based" so all you people begging WG for skill based MM (you know who you are) - this is your mode. I lost a couple of games due to a BB being really clueless, but not many, and overall the quality of play has been pretty high. My win rate is high mostly because people are bringing the wrong DD to the fight.

WG is fronting 80k ECXP and 10k coal for the event, awarded through the mission chain. That's a lot of captain XP, and you just have to win 41 games to get it all.

You can play a lot of games in a short time in this mode, and the dopamine rush is quite addictive. I don't recommend mounting flags or consumables, you'll burn through your stash very quickly and T7 is not profitable enough to make it worthwhile unless you are grinding the ship you are playing.

And lastly: OMG Two Brother's Epicenter!!! The meme is now real!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update after 23 wins:

Jervis is the best DD for this, and arguably the best ship overall to actually win in. Z39 has more hydro range, but it's too clumsy for close-in work. All the little perks about Jervis add up: longer hydro, 360o rear turret, 4 front facing guns, high dpm and fire chance, flexible torp launching, fast smokes,  fast rudder shift, and fast acceleration. I only have a 12-13 pt captain, but even without RPF and AR its more than strong enough.

A well played Yorck in this mode is a thing of beauty, and absolutely devastating. People forget what a monster it can be close up because the opportunities in random for cruisers to knife fight are so rare, but with the hydro up and with all targets within torp range, it is fearless.

Gneisenau is fastest BB, the turrets are quick, and it has torps and decent secondaries. It just lives for this stuff. 

Situationally, there's a bunch of other ships that work - but the three above work the best most often. Altanta pairs well with a US DD or Blys with longer smoke, but honestly I think hydro is superior to radar in overall utility in this mode, because duration trumps range, and radar can't screen for torps. Cruisers with their own smoke pair nicely with Vauquelin, etc. but unless you are fighting in division you have no guarantees.

And finally, for the last time: stop playing Colorado!

Edited by Rina_Pon

1,851 posts
9,360 battles
24 minutes ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

Please do not play:

-Z-31

-Colorado

-Strasbourg

Pls.

The choice of some tech tree ships (Z-31, Colorado, Nagato, Shiratsuyu, Akatsuki, Helena etc.) may be explained as players attempted to use the brawl mode to grind on said ships.

How Sinop performs I haven't decided yet.

Yet I have also met Strasbourg and even DoY (though due to a lag spike I give Strasbourg a victory by running into torpedoes that would have well dodged without excessive lagging).

Personally I rate Yorck highly: enhanced hull plating so can resist some battleships if they come to this mode against me. As a heavy cruiser she overmatches the Atlanta sisters. German hydro can have much advantage in close range encounters. She has torpedoes that can make and break things in CQC as well as detering rushes. Her speed is mediocre but she boasts a rather small turning radius which means she would be less likely to throw herself grounded somewhere when maneuvering in tighter confines.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,319 posts
14,772 battles

Myoko is easy since the only natural enemy is the BB that snipes from far away, which is a counterproductive thing to do for this mode. Got 7 win streak with it & almost finish my grind through it. And because there's no CV in that mode, Myoko can definitely stick with hydro.

Atlanta is only good at Big Race & Two Brothers maps as those maps have perfectly placed islands to take cover.

Flint relies on someone's spotting a lot, and the DD caliber guns cannot dent BB's deck even with IFHE.

Jervis is rare because longer hydro range on Maass, Haida, and Z-39 straight up powercreep Jervis'.

Z-31 is ok as long as it gets proper support. A gunboat with 6.3 surface detection range & lots of HP is pretty good. Minsk on the other hand.....

Colorado can work. The problem is that most players with that ship will stop pushing the moment they get spotted, although they are still too far to get torped by anything in that mode.

Sinop is both great & terrible. Great because the Soviet BB dispersion gimmick fits this mode perfectly. Terrible because that thing takes forever to turn around when needed, especially when being rushed by Gneisenau & Scharnhorst.

TBH I'd rather have people grind through the mediocre ships in Brawl than in Ranked. Having DD players with insufficiently-trained commanders is an instant dead weight for the team.

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles
46 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

The choice of some tech tree ships (Z-31, Colorado, Nagato, Shiratsuyu, Akatsuki, Helena etc.) may be explained as players attempted to use the brawl mode to grind on said ships.

For a DD, you want high DPM and preferably hydro. Good torp angles a plus, single fire also useful. Smoke is an asset, but the RN smoke is more useful than the long lasting american type as the fluid and fast paced games rarely give you any opportunity to smoke camp for any length of time. As a DD, you have to contest the cap from the start as the points timer is so fast. If you let the enemy hold the caps, the game will end before you have a chance to kill the enemy ships.

Helena is generally inferior to Atlanta/Flint, though the insane DPM means she can straight up murder DDs and so is not completely useless. Schors is pretty much useless. Agree Yorck is a top pick, though Myoko with hydro is close second.

Scharnhorst/Gneisenau are the top BB picks. Sinop might work, but is too easily outflanked and overrun in my opinion. The Italian BBs are ok. Anything else is pretty marginal.

[IMS]
649 posts
13,435 battles

Use Fiji all the time and helped me get all the wins very quickly, about 80-85%
Need to master Fiji that's all

[IMS]
649 posts
13,435 battles

Bad Fiji day today... switched to Mahan working well...

[TLS]
5,309 posts
22,026 battles

Also, this mode is anything but skill-based. Potato me gets put up against against unicums. And if you are that good, you should be put into the purple team. Oh wait. This is "skill based". Potat team vs unicum team.

• Funny 1

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles
5 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Also, this mode is anything but skill-based. Potato me gets put up against against unicums. And if you are that good, you should be put into the purple team. Oh wait. This is "skill based". Potat team vs unicum team.

If you think you are a potato, I suggest you need a better grasp of botany.

[BONED]
896 posts
12,845 battles

Had a good run in the Blysikiwiskawica.

Very fast to push into an island on cap, fast reload on 7 guns and short torp reload. And the things AP does to broadside cruisers..........

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles
8 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Had a good run in the Blysikiwiskawica.

Very fast to push into an island on cap, fast reload on 7 guns and short torp reload. And the things AP does to broadside cruisers..........

I forgot about Blys. Her speed and heavy battery are assets, but you have to be very careful not to get yourself caught in hydro.

Also, a skilled opponent can make you pay heavily for your poor concealment. I rate it a "maybe"

Edited by Rina_Pon

[BONED]
896 posts
12,845 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I forgot about Blys. Her speed and heavy battery are assets, but you have to be very careful not to get yourself caught in hydro.

Also, I skilled opponent can make you pay heavily for your poor concealment. I rate it a "maybe"

You have to get close to an island really fast and it takes the poor concealment totally out of the equation, you have exactly the same concealment as the best! DPM is very powerful

[IMS]
649 posts
13,435 battles
On 7/20/2021 at 8:13 AM, FatFluffyPenguin said:

Please do not play:

-Z-31

-Colorado

-Strasbourg

Pls.

Noobs SERIOUSLY have to STOP using Colorado. This BB always LAST in place:

image.thumb.png.bc1b2e4072f77b2edcaa71b87aea5f13.pngimage.thumb.png.ce10c1e5e01eaf9bde40d714d77f4ed2.png

[STUN]
203 posts
On 7/20/2021 at 10:13 AM, FatFluffyPenguin said:

Please do not play:

-Z-31

-Colorado

-Strasbourg

Pls.

Agree, especially with Colorado. Every game I get Colorado on the team we lose except for the 1 game where the other team also had a Colorado...

Also, the game mode is called Brawl. The number of BB's I've seen sniping from way back...boggles the mind and everything else.

• Haha 1

601 posts
7,082 battles

Where would Algerie be here? Do, Maybe, or Don't?

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles

If you're a BB player just pick Scharny or Gnei and push. Lead the charge and hope the CA/DD will support your push.
One thing's for certain ... it would be over quick either them or you.

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles
9 hours ago, TD1 said:

I added it to the don't list. Basically, any cruiser designed for long range combat is a poor choice.

While it does have nice torp firing angles, if you tried to play as a close in brawler it would be inferior to Yorck in all respects.

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,319 posts
14,772 battles
9 hours ago, TD1 said:

Don't. While MBRB is a nice gimmick, the close range meta doesn't suit her well. Especially if the maps you get are Two Brothers, or Shatter; where long range gunnery doesn't work.

Myoko can dive into the frontline and use her slim hull to troll the big gun BBs (380mm & higher) by just showing broadside at less than 7km away from the enemy BB. Algerie can't because her hull is too thick.

But even then her MBRB is still a one-trick pony. Helena can deal much higher burst damage with great efficiency.

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles
1 hour ago, THAI_THIEF said:

I'm out

That's your 41st then? Congrats!

1,851 posts
9,360 battles

Bump up the post as the 4th Brawl of T6 ships has started today.

Judging from what I have experienced Graf Spee seems to be something of a meta pick this time. Tried Bayern myself but the result has been disappointing: 1.8 Sigma of American dispersion remains wonky even with ASM1, she is still prone to chunks of damage and her main gun performance is significantly lagging behind her peers.

Met a very wide range of T6 ships, including some really weird picks like Admiral Makarov, Fushun and London.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
2,056 posts
7,377 battles
3 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Bump up the post as the 4th Brawl of T6 ships has started today.

I bring Ryujo , E loewenhardt , Andrea Doria and La galisonniere to a brawl.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,319 posts
14,772 battles

Hold my T-61!:Smile_trollface:

PEF also works better than Bayern due to higher top speed. Just don't camp like the filthy untermensch, don't show flat broadside, and it can wreck havoc with secondary build.

I also have seen a lot of Nurnberg being effective. A ship that is basically "75% Mainz" with 5.5km hydro is a tough one for this mode.

[SMOKE]
3,030 posts
19,497 battles

surprisingly those that do not had a name can be very useful , PEF, Normandie both are actually quite good at BRAWL.  Izmail, Andrea Dora and also Mutsu got the speed that can kind of keep up with the Cruiser / DD and they can work alright. Really able to keep up with the group is very important. Pls no Ise !!

Nürnberg is a beast at that tier, 6 torp per side out to 6 KM combined with 6 sec reload guns , really she's the T6 HE spammer alright before that meta even came in. If you got Perth or Mysore, they both are mighty effective. All the other CL are decent , all the other CA are decent too. The mid tier really do not had particularly bad Cruiser around , just might be less effective ( depending on how one play ). Graf always the exception.

AM not so sure about the DD roster though , had to play more to see how it goes , but seriously what Brawl present is whole load different than way too infested 2CV games at mid tier Random , but one thing for sure the IJN are pretty much out of the game, just useless guns and torp reload simply too slow. Despite a lover for torpedo boats , I just cannot imagine Hard Core torpedo boat any use in Brawl, you do need decent gun performance. instead of particularly good choice its more like on the DD side its what you should not take to the Brawl , the Pan Asian say. But there will always be the exception or may be , Aigle , Västerås for example, both can be play to effectiveness but ...

Sign in to follow this