Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

All things considered...

13 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,665 posts
27,333 battles

So I have had a good hard reflection on spending money on this game lately.

I have come to the conclusion that I am going to stop.

I just removed my payment details from my account.

This has nothing to do with claims of rigged loot boxes (I see no proof in anything anyone has said).

This has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the game (even though my recent ranked games have been woeful, I still enjoy sailing the pixel seas and shooting pixel boats).

This has nothing to do with being able to afford to spend money on my gaming (I live alone and no one depends on me for anything - all my money is my own).

Mind you, the recent claims about the Dutch Early Access "containers" and feeling I needed to point out ridiculous claims based on a very small sample size was catalytic - it has caused me to reflect upon entertainment value for dollars spent.

I know.

I know.

Many of you got there before me.

I never said you were wrong, I was just prepared to continue buying stuff and that's totally my (and anyone else's) prerogative.

But, all things considered, I have been caused in the last day or so to really consider what I have spent and how much enjoyment I have bought for that money.

Again, yes. I know. Some of you got there before me.

This isn't a Manifesto or a Call to Arms - it's just what I have come too in my own time and by my own experience.

I rolled Johan De Witt on the 21st roll and was excited... for 5 minutes.

I rolled the dice.

I paid the dealer.

It's on me.

But this has happened before.

Many times.

Early access... early pay... excited for 5 minutes... then like a lonely gust of wind that just for a moment blows through brown and orange autumn leaves... it is gone.

I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm not suggesting that I was manipulated or forced to gamble.

I did it willingly, knowingly and if I am to be completely honest, brazenly.

But now, I have so many ships, tech tree and premium and literal years of premium time up my sleeve - I wonder how much extra enjoyment I can purchase in this game?

Just today, just now, it became enough money, enough spent, enough gambled.

My enjoyment comes from learning better tactics and the people I play with - you can't buy that - you can only understand it.

I don't have any statistics or facts but I feel like there is less and less value for dollar spent on this game than there has been in the past.

Gamble Boxes seem to have had better "consolation" prizes in the past - camos and flags you couldn't easily get any other way.

So it kind of didn't matter to me if I gambled on a few loot crates and ended up with the peripherals - it kind of seemed like it still had some value.

Recently I gambled for Agincourt and Konig Albert - one of the consolation prizes was 1.2 million credits - in game silver that you can earn in a handful of half reasonable PvP games.

I tried not to be insulted.

I read the loot table - I could see the options, it was on me.

But that was a wake up call - I became conscious that I was actively suppressing my dissappointment and it began to manifest as a schism in my gaming psyche.

I don't like schisms anywhere let alone my gaming psyche so I have to resolve it.

Wallet closed.

I'm not going to stop playing but Max_Whale has left the building.

• Cool 10
  • Thanks 1

253 posts
5,317 battles

Congrats Max,

Although I never fell for the loot boxes I did spend $$$ on premium ships and premium time. I've also stopped spending.

You'll feel better for doing this.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,996 posts
13,182 battles
13 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Wallet closed.

I'm not going to stop playing but Max_Whale has left the building.

Fair call mate, I can't blame you.

I was once a whale of a comparable calibre. Now I buy things but mostly just enough to play the game how I want.

Mood about the game shifts and turns. Right this second I'm over a portion of the community. For no particularly notable reason apart from the usual no patience for conflicting views... (I'm ok with it but dislike shouting down others with vile of any kind)

Combine that with the number of things in the game that could be improved and I'm just over it today.

But I'm tired right this second. Really tired.

I wouldn't say spend your money or don't spend it, you do what you're comfortable with, atm that's wallet closed, I applaud you, if you change your mind later that's fine too.

I like playing with Max_Anthything. I just wish I had more time to.

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 3

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,026 posts
9,763 battles

Nice post Max.

I wont criticise anyone for spending or not spending money a game.  Its a personal choice.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,188 battles

Good post, well said, good logic.

Why pay if it doesn't add equal value enjoyment?

Sometimes all it takes is asking yourself "Am I getting value for money enjoyment out of this?"

While I haven't completely closed my wallet to WoWS, its a pretty high bar to access it. I may re-up my premium time when it runs out in a few months, and I may buy a new ship or two a year if I think I'll pay it (like a T6 or T7 in scenarios, though scenarios the way the are, that keeps looking unlikely), but apart from that, nope, not worth it.

• Cool 1

[MRI]
4,046 posts
17,956 battles

Well said Max. Sometimes it is best to take a step back to do some introspection. No one can tell you whether you how you should spend your money or how valuable something is - worth is subjective and only you can answer that question for yourself.

• Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,040 posts
6,880 battles

Do I rue the WG business model...yes

Do I still play WG products every day, 1-2 battles when I'm working and 6-8 hours a day when I'm not working....yes

Does this mean I still enjoy play WoT and WoWS...yes

Am I an addict?...also yes.

Let us know how you get on with the not spending, I certainly should be happy with what I already have, yet I struggle to resist.

[BLESS]
1,571 posts
13,794 battles

The odd thing is about this game  -  the nice thing is about the game - is that you can retire peacefully. You can keep playing ships you have bought or unlocked indefinitely, the running costs are offset by the battle winnings.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,188 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

The odd thing is about this game  -  the nice thing is about the game - is that you can retire peacefully. You can keep playing ships you have bought or unlocked indefinitely, the running costs are offset by the battle winnings.

It’s still one of the saving graces of this game. You don’t actually need to pay to play well.

The tech trees are all free access, and there are many good, competitive ships there and It’s 100% possible to get coal, steel, FXP and RB ships without paying.

All modes are playable without paying.

While it is harder to grind and earn credits, XP, etc without premium time (and very hard not to lose credits playing at high level without it), it’s still quite doable, and WG rewards a bit of premium time now and then.

There are free to play games out there where you can barely do anything without paying, whereas at worst here it just takes a little longer, and you cannot access any premium ships or loot boxes, but nothing game breaking.

The things which break the game usually have little to do with whether you pay or not, they affect everyone the same.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,040 posts
6,880 battles
34 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

It’s still one of the saving graces of this game. You don’t actually need to pay to play well.

The tech trees are all free access, and there are many good, competitive ships there and It’s 100% possible to get coal, steel, FXP and RB ships without paying.

All modes are playable without paying.

While it is harder to grind and earn credits, XP, etc without premium time (and very hard not to lose credits playing at high level without it), it’s still quite doable, and WG rewards a bit of premium time now and then.

There are free to play games out there where you can barely do anything without paying, whereas at worst here it just takes a little longer, and you cannot access any premium ships or loot boxes, but nothing game breaking.

The things which break the game usually have little to do with whether you pay or not, they affect everyone the same.

It's great, but at the end of the day, if they can't make money, they won't be any game to play.

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,188 battles
49 minutes ago, Metal_illness said:

It's great, but at the end of the day, if they can't make money, they won't be any game to play.

Which is one of the reasons I personally started spending money in the first place. And personally, I’ll probably still buy premium time and the odd ship here and there.

Beyond that? WG has to start making the game better for me so I feel it’s worth spending more money on.

But I doubt that will happen, there are plenty of super whales out there who continue to justify WG’s methods.

But my point was you don’t need to spend to have fun with the game. It’s more of an option, like donating to your favourite free webcomic.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,040 posts
6,880 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Which is one of the reasons I personally started spending money in the first place. And personally, I’ll probably still buy premium time and the odd ship here and there.

Beyond that? WG has to start making the game better for me so I feel it’s worth spending more money on.

But I doubt that will happen, there are plenty of super whales out there who continue to justify WG’s methods.

But my point was you don’t need to spend to have fun with the game. It’s more of an option, like donating to your favourite free webcomic.

Yes, if I'm spending a lot of time in the game, I'll give money.

These massive whale outs are too much though, research bureau, early access, dockyards etc.

Sign in to follow this