Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Pharoah

The great disappearing trick

21 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

Having played the CBT for a few weeks now, I'm struggling to try and understand the logic behind the great 'disappearing trick' ie. where ships can up and disappear before your eyes, without smoke or any meteorological condition (cloud, rain squall, snow storm, fog, etc) to explain this. I mean, I get the whole concealment thing where, if you're weapons locked you can sort of not be seen, however when I've spotted you and am firing on you multiple times...and you're trailing smoke and fire....YOU SHOULD NOT FRIGGIN DISAPPEAR ON ME!!!

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

I'll give you a scenario - i'm in a cruiser and managed to sneak behind enemy lines...where I stumble upon two CVs. happy days! so I start shooting up the CV furtherst away and he's down to one red bar when suddenly POOF!! he's gone. just like that...a whole friggin carrier. In the mean time I change target to the other CV when I notice 2-3 flights take off from an invisible carrier (yet I can see the aircraft for some reason...not the ship), who then proceed to line up and sink me. Another situation, I'm quite close to a BB whose guns are facing a diff direction when he too disappears. 

If you've been spotted you should stay spotted. Perhaps you should disappear from the minimap but don't friggin disappear altogether! thats just ridiculous!

Alpha Tester
184 posts
2,083 battles

DD's should stay spotted if they are within 2kms from you yet they vanish and torp you. This is problem with all ships which suddenly disappear for no reason. As you said, if you are spotted, you should stay spotted. Even BBs vanish behind smoke within 3-4 kms which makes no sense, considering the size of the ship.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

Disappearing carrier best carrier. Now you see it, now you don't, but you can see the planes taking off.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Disappearing carrier best carrier. Now you see it, now you don't, but you can see the planes taking off.

You can even see Recon planes landing on a disappearing BB

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

But thats what I want to understand. Why do we have a silly disappearing trick ingame? If we're trying to replicate RL battles, we can't have a 40,000T warship just up and disappear in front of your eyes on a clear sunny day. I mean, ships that are spotted can be seen from behind an island (the icon is visible) - I would expect that icon to disappear. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

how far away was the CV? or any other ship that up and disappeared?

2 to 4 km, I'm in Hatsuharu against Ranger that time with smoke screen nearby

Edited by Harpoon01

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Best tactic always, people always up and forget that there is a team battle going on.
Edited by Halken_Sky

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

2 to 4 km, I'm in Hatsuharu against Ranger that time with smoke screen nearby

I would guess you was in the smoke screen, not near it

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I would guess you was in the smoke screen, not near it

No, the other destroyer (Mutsuki if I remembered) already layed some smoke before I get in and the CV gone

But, probably the CV turn off her secondaries

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

7 Km away.

A Shokaku equipped with the concealment module together with the captain concealment perk can only be spotted at 9.6 km

A Hiryu with the above will only be spotted at 9.2 km

A Ryujo with the captain perk will only be spotted at 7.7 km

A Zuiho with the captain perk will only be spotted at 7.3 km

A Hosho with the captain perk will only be spotted at 6.7 km

Alpha Tester
76 posts

is it only me to see that Recon Plane still do nothing even spoting incoming torpedo?

for me the main problem is smoke screen give too much advantage to it's user  and it's last too long  i'm really frustrating when i'm getting nailed by the ship that in front of me but he is under smoke cover , if i recall correctly the ship in smoke should lost all of it's cover factor provide by smoke and would appear to the enemy for a time

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

is it only me to see that Recon Plane still do nothing even spoting incoming torpedo?

for me the main problem is smoke screen give too much advantage to it's user  and it's last too long  i'm really frustrating when i'm getting nailed by the ship that in front of me but he is under smoke cover , if i recall correctly the ship in smoke should lost all of it's cover factor provide by smoke and would appear to the enemy for a time

Smoke does not decrease torpedo detection ranges, this is a misconception made by most of the community.

Also the plane detection range for torpedoes have been decreased after the 3.1 patch as in the past having a plane always lets you see torpedoes 100% of the time no matter how far they are.

Edited by Halken_Sky

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

A Shokaku equipped with the concealment module together with the captain concealment perk can only be spotted at 9.6 km

hang on, is this WoWS or Call of duty? there shouldnt be a perk. if you're spotted, you're spotted. 

Alpha Tester
24 posts
186 battles

yeah sorry i understand how it works - my issue is why do we have it in the first place? it doesn't happen IRL except for weather induced conditions (which we don't have) and WoWS is trying to replicate RL yet we have this stupid cloaking device. It says 'reduces ship detectability' ie. ability to detect....yet if I'm staring at it, and landing shots on it....ITS BEEN DETECTED!!! it can't just magically disappear. thats my point.

Alpha Tester
1,063 posts
509 battles

Any ship has a detectable range if you out of that range and can still see a ship it is most probably being spotted by an allied ship or plane. Once the ally ship gets sunk by any means or the plane gets taken down, the enemy ship you are targeting will disappear since you are unable to spot it.

Sign in to follow this