You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
speedbird_concorde

Flandre or Gascogne

10 comments in this topic

11 posts
2,116 battles

I am not on any French ships at this moment, but I'd like to take the opportunity of French national day mission to get one premium French BBs.

I'd like to take either Flandre or Gascogne, Gascogne is an old ship all the reviews I could found were years ago. So which one would you recommend today?

A little bit about myself. I am a below average BB players, grinding hard on Tire 8 German BB line with secondary build. I enjoy play Scharnhorst with secondary build. I have reached Tire X in US and Italian BBs, but I have struggled a lot on accuracy at tire IX for both lines, trying to improve but not yet found a hit.

Based on Wiki, Gascogne has faster reload time, seems like a battle cruiser, while Flandre seems more traditional BBs, maybe a good snipper? I haven't run across these two ships that much in the past 2 months. I did see people playing Flandre when it was released but not as many as it used to be. 

Edited by speedbird_concorde

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles

Flandre would be the better choice since it's more forgivable when you make mistakes on it.
Also it has more guns / higher HP ... basically it's a T9 hull (Alsace) on a T8 ship.
This ship has a disclaimer (It may or may not be BALANCED later on).

Gascogne, Gascogne, Gascogne more like a trainer on how to play the Republique.
Same gun layout, same number of guns but Republique has way better accuracy, BIGGER guns and better armored.
This ship is virtually protected from direct nerfs(for how long only WG knows)

For me,  just go for Flandre.

[BLESS]
1,570 posts
13,794 battles

As a rule of thumb I prefer uptiered premiums (tech tree ship (or Dunkerque) + buffs aka Jean Bart, Strasbourg) to the downtiered ones (tech tree + nerfs aka Flandre and (perhaps, technically) Gascogne).

None of the above are bad ships though [disclaimer - do not own Flandre or Gascogne]. With any BB, you have to play to its strengths to do well. For all the French BB premiums though, I find I'm happiest in Richelieu.

[LNA]
2,185 posts
16,374 battles

Gas can need to take the backseat here. Although it feature same gun layout as Republique, it is much less forgiving due to bad AA, horrifying gun layout and gun problem.

It will frequently have trouble using all of it's gun. Adding salt to that is they have a ton of penetration, over pen on CA/CL is very frequent if it did not bounce off due to lack of overmatch.

Go Flandre or Champagne (good sniper bad tanker).

11 posts
2,116 battles

Thanks guys, I will go Flandre. 

If I had time, I would grind from tire II CA, I believe French is a good line, no need to mention two great BBs Richelieu and Alscase, however, time is limited...

BTW, Champagne is not available anymore right? I cant't find this ship in neither Amory or Premiums shops.

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles
14 minutes ago, speedbird_concorde said:

Thanks guys, I will go Flandre. 

If I had time, I would grind from tire II CA, I believe French is a good line, no need to mention two great BBs Richelieu and Alscase, however, time is limited...

BTW, Champagne is not available anymore right? I cant't find this ship in neither Amory or Premiums shops.

Champagne is a WG seasonal ship.
It has bigger guns(16") with same gun layout as Gascogne.
It also has weakest armor, lowest HP, greatest range of the 3 (@ 25Km),
From the time of it's introduction it was only offered once or was it twice.
Aside from that it's also available through the Christmas Loot Boxes.
Another thing to note is that Flandre has -1 charge of heal / no speed boost but it's already fast (1.5 knts faster compared with Gascogne) while Gascogne has a fast reloading heal with normal amount of charges/ has speed boost.
Still would prefer Flandre against Gascogne.

[XSA]
Super Tester_
197 posts
9,877 battles

Gascogne all the way. I only have the Gascogne, not the Flandre, but I have heard that the Flandre has been garbage ever since the Dead Eye is gone. Flandre has better concealment and more HP but it has only three heals, while Gascogne has four 40s reload heals (fast reloading heals), it also has speed boost which is common for any French BBs beyond Tier VIII, while Flandre doesn't. I own the Gascogne and the Champagne and I found Gascogne to be the most enjoyable to play (even against Tier X).

Ship comparison:

Gascogne: 8x 380mm guns, 28s reload, 23.82km shooting range and has spotting aircraft, 1.9 sigma, better rudder shift and turning circle than Flandre, 63,200 HP with 4 or 5 fast reloading heal (40s), 32 knots base speed, has speed boost
Flandre: 9x 380mm guns, 33s reload, 20km shooting range and has NO spotting aircraft, 1.8 sigma, better AA and concealment than Gascogne, 75,400 HP with 3 or 4 normal heal (80s reload), 33.5 knots base speed, has NO speed boost

Edited by PbKavarovsky

11 posts
2,116 battles

Thanks for your input. 

Gascogne has mixed review in NA forums. It's quite a unique ship I feel. Like Graf Spee.

[HKG]
Senior Moderator
132 posts
15,825 battles

I bought my Flandre when it was first released. Loved it. Playstyle is more akin to traditional battleship.

It runs at 33.5 knots default which is faster than Gascogne's 32 knots. Exploit its speed to compensate its lack of a heal. Remember to pick up the extra heal from commander skill as well. Avoid taking excessive damage despite Flandre's tier 9 hull. That way the lack of a heal is actually less of a problem.

Know the limit of 380mm gun and you should know when to use HE and AP. Flandre has decent performance in both departments.

Bon voyage!

• Cool 1

11 posts
2,116 battles

Thanks everyone's input.

I took the Gascogne instead of Flandre... after running a few research, reviewing my recent playstyle and I have decided to give Gascogne a try. I still have a long way to go on aiming and positioning so I found Gascogne is more forgivable for me at this moment. 

I played around 10 games, so far so good, I will grind French BB line next.

See you guys in the battles.