Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Dragon_769

Unbalanced ranked battles - Season 3 - 2021

9 comments in this topic

2 posts
4,571 battles

Hi Captains,

l'm currently in the bronze rank 1 stage qualifying for Sliver for several days now. There would be times when things go well and others that doesn't go well such as this. I'm more of a cruiser/battleship player and leaning towards IJN ships (my first tech tree line when l started playing this game in 2018). For Silver T8/9 ships, my favourite is Izumo - its heavy, has good armor protection, able to pack quite a punch with its AP rounds in a well place shot, good secondaries and overall performance (tho some might disagree). l am quite experienced with Izumo with a level 17 captain in command. Just to show you how well Izumo can perform in a normal random battle in the hands of an experienced player, a snapshot is provided below. Lately in qualifying, l have been constantly losing and wining stars, which makes it hard to complete qualification. After reading numerous forums, chats, advice and even Flamu's ships recommendations on Youtube, l starting to notice a pattern as to why l lose a ranked match + my hard earned star.

This the problem - overpowered teams in matchup progress. My team - Izumo (me), Lion, Jean Bart, FDG + cruisers and dds DONT stand a chance against the other team - Jean Bart, 2 x Musashis, Sov. Soyuz + cruisers and dds. -> You can imagine how that is going to turn out already :<

Breakdown: 

- Jean Bart - good BB with good armor, bow tanking, etc.

- Musashi - T9 of Yamato, big guns, lots of hp - able to deliver huge amounts of damage per shot.

- Sov. Soyuz - good armor on all sides, hard to cause significant damage to superstructure and sides with BB AP rounds.

Despite a tough fight put up by my team, we lost. I straight away knew it was going to be a defeat while in matchup before the game started. 

l'm someone who believes in fair play and an equal playing field - but in this case it is not right. It might as well be as one sided team win. Now l don't blame the player who chooses to take their best ship into battle but unbalanced team matchups is what causes loses and falling down in ranks. 

You might say...why not take georgia, musashi or some other premium well performing ship? Well l don't have only of those, that was because l didn't have enough resources to acquire them before they were removed from the game. The only T8/9 premium ships l have is Lenin and Agir along with a handful of cruisers and BBs from the usual tech trees of Japan and US. The only trustworthy ship l have is Izumo, the other is Iowa (just bought recently and still training the captain and skills, not suitable for ranked yet).

If anyone is going through the same frustration with T8/9 ranked matchups, comment and share your experiences below.

World of Warships 24.JPG

World of Warships 23.JPG

[A___A]
72 posts
3,084 battles

Well i had a silver ranked match this morning with 10 DD yes that is right 10 DD 5 each side myself in Izumo and a Georgia they had a Georgia and a Iowa

There Georgia rushed and 3 of our DD could not deal with it it killed one while it took the other 2 dd out of the game

Myself and Georgia well we got burned and torpped into the ground think the game lasted 7 or 8 mins

5dd.JPG

[REPOI]
363 posts
14,744 battles
26 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

This the problem - overpowered teams in matchup progress. My team - Izumo (me), Lion, Jean Bart, FDG + cruisers and dds DONT stand a chance against the other team - Jean Bart, 2 x Musashis, Sov. Soyuz + cruisers and dds. -> You can imagine how that is going to turn out already :<

What you mean DON'T stand a chance? There is always a chance. If you have this sort of mentality where you would assume you do not have a chance at all given the lineup, then well, how are you supposed to improve to be better?
I have had instances especially in random where my team doesn't get a radar but the enemy has multiple (And I am in a DD). If I were to apply your mentality just cause enemy has a radar and my team doesn't, it should mean and imbalanced team and an automatic loose? NO, it doesn't really work that way. It will work that way if you have that mentality and just give up but for me, I DO NOT give up. There is always a chance in every game.

And there is no need for the exageration where you claim your team to NOT BE ABLE TO stand a chance against the opposing team. It is the mentality you give yourself. The lineup that happened on the enemy team could also happen to your team where your team's lineup looks superior to the enemy team. Ever thought of that before to what the enemy thinks? Do you understand the criteria of Match Making?

32 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

- Jean Bart - good BB with good armor, bow tanking, etc.

Sorry but no, if you consider 32mm good, then there is an issue. JB is covered with 32mm all over and if your team has a clue to what they are doing, then its fine to be dealt with.

33 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

- Musashi - T9 of Yamato, big guns, lots of hp - able to deliver huge amounts of damage per shot.

Yes, a Tier 9.5 ship. If you give it the chance to deliver that damage, then it will. Yes, its 460s overmatches you but you do also know there are ways to mitigate the damage

34 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

- Sov. Soyuz - good armor on all sides, hard to cause significant damage to superstructure and sides with BB AP rounds.

Yes, you are right, it has good armour. But it's gun's performance is rather questionable at times. And hard to cause damage to it's superstructure????? Excuse me sir, you are playing in an Izumo with one of the smallest superstructures in-game.
I can assure you it's harder to cause damage to an Izumo compared to a Soyuz when aiming at the superstructure. And its hard to deal damage to it's side with BB AP rounds? Well, if a Soyuz is angled and knows how to do so, then yes, obviously it would be challenging. If it presents you a broadside, then it aint that hard at all. Assuming you know the plating and where to shoot.

39 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

Despite a tough fight put up by my team, we lost. I straight away knew it was going to be a defeat while in matchup before the game started. 

There we go, this again. Let me tell you this. I have been using Match Making Monitor most of the time and I can see that my team's players are not in my favour and the enemy team has the better players and so on.
But I NEVER let that decide the outcome of the battle for me. I just do my best to what I am capable of and in the end, we won. Stop making assumptions early game just because of the ship lineup. A player may be in a good ship but individually as a player themselves, they are bad.

41 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

Just to show you how well Izumo can perform in a normal random battle in the hands of an experienced player, a snapshot is provided below.

Sorry but that is just 1 game in out of how many? Out of the total 166 games you have played as of now this reply is made. 1 good game doesn't mean much. It could have been you are lucky and the enemy team gave you opportunities.
I did also notice that is your record for Izumo today. We here do not base our comments on just one good game. We looks on the average performance of a player in a ship.

Also, had to break this to you but I think classifying yourself to be experienced is an overstatement. Maybe in your minds, perhaps, we all value stuffs differently. But if I were to be honest. I would say it is average-good at best.

• Cool 7

2 posts
4,571 battles
17 minutes ago, HoChunHao said:

What you mean DON'T stand a chance? There is always a chance. If you have this sort of mentality where you would assume you do not have a chance at all given the lineup, then well, how are you supposed to improve to be better?
I have had instances especially in random where my team doesn't get a radar but the enemy has multiple (And I am in a DD). If I were to apply your mentality just cause enemy has a radar and my team doesn't, it should mean and imbalanced team and an automatic loose? NO, it doesn't really work that way. It will work that way if you have that mentality and just give up but for me, I DO NOT give up. There is always a chance in every game.

And there is no need for the exageration where you claim your team to NOT BE ABLE TO stand a chance against the opposing team. It is the mentality you give yourself. The lineup that happened on the enemy team could also happen to your team where your team's lineup looks superior to the enemy team. Ever thought of that before to what the enemy thinks? Do you understand the criteria of Match Making?

Sorry but no, if you consider 32mm good, then there is an issue. JB is covered with 32mm all over and if your team has a clue to what they are doing, then its fine to be dealt with.

Yes, a Tier 9.5 ship. If you give it the chance to deliver that damage, then it will. Yes, its 460s overmatches you but you do also know there are ways to mitigate the damage

Yes, you are right, it has good armour. But it's gun's performance is rather questionable at times. And hard to cause damage to it's superstructure????? Excuse me sir, you are playing in an Izumo with one of the smallest superstructures in-game.
I can assure you it's harder to cause damage to an Izumo compared to a Soyuz when aiming at the superstructure. And its hard to deal damage to it's side with BB AP rounds? Well, if a Soyuz is angled and knows how to do so, then yes, obviously it would be challenging. If it presents you a broadside, then it aint that hard at all. Assuming you know the plating and where to shoot.

There we go, this again. Let me tell you this. I have been using Match Making Monitor most of the time and I can see that my team's players are not in my favour and the enemy team has the better players and so on.
But I NEVER let that decide the outcome of the battle for me. I just do my best to what I am capable of and in the end, we won. Stop making assumptions early game just because of the ship lineup. A player may be in a good ship but individually as a player themselves, they are bad.

Sorry but that is just 1 game in out of how many? Out of the total 166 games you have played as of now this reply is made. 1 good game doesn't mean much. It could have been you are lucky and the enemy team gave you opportunities.
I did also notice that is your record for Izumo today. We here do not base our comments on just one good game. We looks on the average performance of a player in a ship.

Also, had to break this to you but I think classifying yourself to be experienced is an overstatement. Maybe in your minds, perhaps, we all value stuffs differently. But if I were to be honest. I would say it is average-good at best.

While l appreciate your reply this this thread, there is a few points l would like to address.

- The points about JB, Musashi and Sov.Soyuz are agreeable - yes there are some qualities that we don't like about it. One thing about Sov. Soyuz, you're right about the armor but l most damage is 4k as most AP shell salvos ricochet.

- With the Izumo game, yes that was from today. I decided to see how well it performs overall before going into ranked, hence that was why you saw the snapshot of the random match.

- And yes l am more an 'above average' skilled player, accounting for mistakes made at times. 

However, there are some points to be raised:

- In my view, l find your choice of words and bolding them deemed as 'unsuitable' to this thread topic. l suggest you also toned down your language as well, especially how you started off your reply. You seemed to be putting the words into the questions and shoving it at the person's face. In addition, you are actually 'criticising' the player in a negative manner more than replying to the thread topic of unbalanced matchup. As with the losing mentality part - yes l stated that because that was my opinion. 

- Your reply did not contribute anything handy to the thread topic.

- While l accept criticisms up to a certain level, in this case, l feel that has gone overboard with your reply. 

- If you want to be negative in your replies, it is always best to reply in a 'neutral' manner. 

- Looking at your profile, if you think you are an experienced player, then that is fine by me given you have played 14k battles in total over the years but do not act like some tough, smart-arse person over a less skilful ship player.

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,179 battles

In my experience, the problem is not being unable to win, it’s being unable to win consistently. You’ll have your 4 win streak, then you 4 loss streak, then win, then lose, all the time not gaining any ground.

Eventually, if you’re a player with a W/R above 50, you’ll eventually get there. Or if you’re just lucky. It also may depend on what time of day you’re playing. At this point in the season, we’re scraping the dregs of bronze rank as far as players go, all the good ones have already moved on to silver.

[REPOI]
363 posts
14,744 battles
27 minutes ago, Dragon_769 said:

My apologies then it is? I dropped by bag of sugar when I was on my way back home. That explains the lack of sugarcoating.
And let me be brief, what is said in here is from what I have seen with personal experience as with older threads in which a player complains about it. It is also a common sight to see a player making a thread about something just from one game ignoring that fact that sample size matters. As with player's skills. We can see you are not having a good time in ranked espesially in your Izumo.

What you are experiencing in Ranked Battles in terms of unbalanced is also experienced by others players. There are cases where your team has the better lineup compared to the enemy's.
Also, yes, teams can be pepega, match making can be pepega, but have you ever try to reflect on yourself rather than putting the "blame" on the MM? The ship? Or maybe who knows in the future, the player?

• Regarding the bolding, it is common for me to bold key points. In which I have been doing so in almost all of my replies. This is the first time this was mentioned and taking the previous sample size into account, I can say that this is negligible.
  • My reply did not contribute to anything related to the topic? In my point of view yes, I was replying to the point(s) you stated and to point out what could be wrong. As with the mentality you gave yourself which is a common flaw in almost every player even myself. 
  • My reply is overboard? Well, not the first I can tell you that. I don't carry a bag of sugar around to melt it down and make a coating out of it. See? We all perceive things differently. Some may view this as "acceptable" and some small amount may view this as "too much". In which I do refer them as snowflakes
  • Again, all I can say is I did not suit your bubble? I won't agree or disagree on this.
  • And sorry, if you think I am active all though, then so be it. There is no need to get all emotional and snowflakey about it. We ain't here to simply please people.
    Also, battles counts don't mean much. There are those with 20k battles with the experience of a <1k battle player. Basing ones experience solely on battle counts is just beyond flawed. I look at stats.
2 hours ago, Dragon_769 said:

l'm someone who believes in fair play and an equal playing field - but in this case it is not right. It might as well be as one sided team win. Now l don't blame the player who chooses to take their best ship into battle but unbalanced team matchups is what causes loses and falling down in ranks. 

Again, do you understand the requirements for MatchMaking? The criteria for it? Let me repeat what I said above again. What happened in that match where the enemy team has better ships also has happened to you before. But clearly it goes unoticed as when something is in ones favour, it gets ignored. But the moment when it's not in ones favour, then it gets all the attention. Thats how it works.
Not to mention, ship may be strong but what about the player behind it? It can be a bad player behind it. Ship is one thing, but again, there are loads of variables.

2 hours ago, Dragon_769 said:

If anyone is going through the same frustration with T8/9 ranked matchups, comment and share your experiences below.

How to deal with said frustration is to simply take a break. Not working out? Take a break, stop, come back later. If you kept on going, then it's on you.
Any player, no matter how bad they are can still progress to Gold League. Just how many games one is willing to play and how much sanity does one have.

• Cool 2

[MALD]
544 posts
13,876 battles

Team lineups do have some some sort of influence towards the outcome but its all random, therefore blaming the MM isn't on point, the thing you can control is how good you carry the team. Thus just do what you can and move on. Moreover, blaming the MM by just one sample doesn't make your point stand, unless you can prove that you didn't get OP ships as your teammates over a great number of samples. 

If you feel like Izumo doesn't make the cut (which imo is still a solid pick) you can choose other ships that you have such as Lenin for the tankiness & close range accuracy, or you can play DD/CV as both classes have an easier time in influencing the battlefield than a BB. 

You don't have to try that hard till the point you are frustrated by your teammates' pick, you really can't do anything about it, time is still available for you to qualify for silver so eventually you will get there. 

I wonder if I will end up here in a screenshot since I plan to grind my GJ Maerker in ranked  feel free to bash me if you meet me in it:cap_cool:

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
692 posts
21,273 battles
2 hours ago, HoChunHao said:

That must be your state of mind always.
I'm not a good player, in fact I'm far from it but when I go into battle this is always my mindset ... always has and always will.
With this I was able to crawl up from my 42% WR to 50%+ something WR in WoT.
Here in WoWs I don't play random but I do apply this mindset when going into ranked.
I will fight 'til I'm sunk, do what I can to win!
Don't assume don't complain ... just do what you can.
They also suffer the same from MM imbalance as much as you do and they tend to get those meme players as often as you have it's just about how much you can use those meme players to your advantage.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
5,321 posts
22,034 battles

Orangetato vs purple div last night. It looked like no contest against us, yet I still put max_battle max_effort into it. The only reason I didn't survive? Because I fired to entice the last remaining venezia to reveal itself and get obliterated by the hanotsuma. If I remember correctly, our team was always trailing behind in points and ships until the end.

shot-21.07.02_00.28.41-0579.jpg

Edited by dejiko_nyo

Sign in to follow this