Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cyberwaste

Ramming

16 comments in this topic

[BKT]
Beta Tester
24 posts
3,847 battles

Ramming needs to be refined significantly. Right now it's a cheap tactic that is used to remove a more valuable asset at the cost of an inferior ship. The angle of the ram should be taken into account, along with the kinetic force the other ship applies with the armor of its own bow vs the armor it is hitting.  Smaller ships, ignoring the fact that secondary fire would rip them apart anyway, would most likely bounce off the side of a battleship or scrape against it doing basically no structural damage.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,665 posts
27,333 battles

I hate ramming.

Should lose all benefits in battle if you ram.

You TKed yourself.

Many things in this game are squirrel.

And some people are funny walking, cheese merchant killers.

I have zero humour when it comes to ramming.

All rammers should be rammed HARD in HELL.

And yes.

I do mean...

RAMMED.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[KAMI]
488 posts
5,997 battles

If it's a crucial part of getting a win, I'm ramming.

If it's a little bit troll-ish, I'll probably do it as well. Ramming BBs in a DD is fun.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,665 posts
27,333 battles

Two things are Eternal.

Makra Gud.

Ram Bad.

Eternal.

[TLS]
5,327 posts
22,034 battles

Jean Luc Picard says: RAMMING SPEED!

If you are that close to be rammed, then something is seriously wrong with your positioning.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
3,057 posts
19,534 battles
3 hours ago, Cyberwaste said:

Ramming needs to be refined significantly. Right now it's a cheap tactic that is used to remove a more valuable asset at the cost of an inferior ship. The angle of the ram should be taken into account, along with the kinetic force the other ship applies with the armor of its own bow vs the armor it is hitting.  Smaller ships, ignoring the fact that secondary fire would rip them apart anyway, would most likely bounce off the side of a battleship or scrape against it doing basically no structural damage.

In reality , no , do remember you are talking even with DD several thousand tons of mass at speed. The kinetic energy is going to ignore anything .. this is bore out in real world ship collisions , though I do agree some very shallow angle collision should be treated as scrap by with both only taking surface scratches and minimal damage.

And Ramming is perfectly fine tactics. Sacrificing a ship to take out key enemy ship can be very beneficial to the team. On the other hand, Ramming a lesser ship can be a viable tactic too. I've done that before, ramming a DD on my BB or CA , due to HP difference the DD will certainly die but the BB stand a chance to survive ( there's even an achievement for that )

Edited by Mechfori

[BONED]
904 posts
12,942 battles

If you let them get close enough to kill you with a cheap ram then take that ram in the spirit it has been intended! 

Salty ramee tears = best tears!

And ramming in a DD during a CW to kill the last ship in a sure victory is something of a tradition.

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,188 battles

I don't have an issue with ramming. Sorry Max.

I use it rarely, usually after a long battle where I'm unlikely to get out alive, and ramming is the best option to do as much damage as I can. And even then its a careful consideration of if there are other options available.

But its rare simply because I do not often put myself in positions to get rammed, or where I need to ram. I'm more likely to try to kite away long before I'm in a position where I need to ram.

And most rammers leave it till too late and die before they ram anyway.

Ramming is a legit strategy used as a last ditch attempt by players who have been outplayed into a CQC. If you're using ramming as a goto move, all you're doing is depriving your team of a ship (though if ramming is your goto move, your team is probably better off without you). And if you're pushing early to ram, you'll probably get killed before you do.

If you find yourself being the victim or ramming too often, you might want to adjust your playstyle. If you and bow tanking a ship, And find that it manages to cross the map and ram you, even if you are reversing, that is mostly your team mates fault for not burning it down fast enough. Or it may be your fault for solo engaging when all your team mates went the other way. If you're often attacking without support, you really need to ensure you have an exit strategy so you can turn and run.

Taking this post along with the other recent post by OP, it looks like OP is being too aggressive and getting too close to enemy, and then saying that in real life things would be different because the mechanics would be different. Well, ignoring the fact that this is a game and runs on its own mechanics, in real life, most sea battles were on open ocean with no islands, and ships were far over 10km apart. So maybe you should take a page from real life and keep your distance.

• Cool 2

[IMS]
691 posts
13,539 battles
5 hours ago, Cyberwaste said:

Friendly fire already GONE... it's already BECOMING an ARCADE GAME...
SO what remove ramming?
Anyway, my BB ever rammed a DD in the channel, sinking that DD and survive with some HP gone...

Edited by Andy_Siau

[151ST]
3,996 posts
13,182 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I don't have an issue with ramming. Sorry Max.

Agree 100% mate, I dislike being rammed but there's a large number of mistakes leading up to that situation.

1 hour ago, Andy_Siau said:

Friendly fire already GONE... it's already BECOMING an ARCADE GAME...

Oh it's always been an arcade game Andy, magic heal button? 

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
694 posts
21,273 battles

If the enemy manages to close the distance enough to ram you then there must be something wrong.

• Cool 1

[BELLE]
499 posts
33,831 battles
13 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Jean Luc Picard says: RAMMING SPEED!

If you are that close to be rammed, then something is seriously wrong with your positioning.

• Thanks 1

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,665 posts
27,333 battles
5 hours ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

It's a bit chilly this morning.

That's why I have goosebumps.

Nothing to do with Worf gritting his teeth and preparing for honourable death.

No sir.

Just plain old cold morning.

• Cool 1

[TLS]
5,327 posts
22,034 battles
5 hours ago, SgtSullyNZ said:

Heghlu’meh qaq jajvam!

[BELLE]
499 posts
33,831 battles
11 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said: