Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cyberwaste

A battleship and a destroyer come face to face

32 comments in this topic

[BKT]
Beta Tester
24 posts
3,847 battles

Both have all weapons on one side aimed directly at the other. Both fire. The destroyer launches 12 torpedoes and 6 HE rounds. The battleship fires 9 15 inch AP rounds. 6 torpedoes hit the battleship. It explodes and dies. 5/9 15 inch AP rounds rip through the destroyer's rear half. He loses 25% of his hp. No sign of the 5 human sized holes that have gone right through his ship into the water. The shells, while not detonating, managed to not hit a single important component or caused any form of structural damage on their way through the entire width of the ship.

Another short story from the world of invisible HE and torpedo spammers.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles

Way back then BB's would rip through DD for full pen damage.
Gone are those days.

[IMS]
649 posts
13,435 battles

1) It depends on the reamaining HP of the DD
2) If the BB readies and fires HE, different outcome
3) Some DDs get detonation from BB fire before it launches torps.

Experienced the above before...

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
488 posts
5,995 battles

An unlikely scenario, most battleships are way too far away from the action, back edge of the map and all.

Late battle the BBs that get hunted by DDs generally never see them. Which is fun for the DD.

• Haha 1

[IMS]
649 posts
13,435 battles
2 minutes ago, FG_Yomamamoto said:

An unlikely scenario, most battleships are way too far away from the action, back edge of the map and all.

Late battle the BBs that get hunted by DDs generally never see them. Which is fun for the DD.

When I use Massa and most BBs, I'm always upfront.
I like to do kiting, angling, whatever.

Edited by Andy_Siau
  • Cool 2

1,851 posts
9,360 battles

Yet battleships remain the most popular ship type among players to date.

• Cool 3

[KAMI]
488 posts
5,995 battles
49 minutes ago, Andy_Siau said:

When I use Massa and most BBs, I'm always upfront.
I like to do kiting, angling, whatever.

I don't doubt it, but the majority like to be less than active.

• Thanks 1

[KAMI]
488 posts
5,995 battles
11 minutes ago, Project45_Opytny said:

Yet battleships remain the most popular ship type among players to date.

Because they've got the biggest guns and require minimal insight. The divide between the average player and the good players is enormous.

• Cool 2

[-CAT-]
704 posts
11,449 battles

IMO, BB are the easiest. Cruiser are the hardest.

[BONED]
896 posts
12,845 battles
20 hours ago, Cyberwaste said:

Both have all weapons on one side aimed directly at the other. Both fire. The destroyer launches 12 torpedoes and 6 HE rounds. The battleship fires 9 15 inch AP rounds. 6 torpedoes hit the battleship. It explodes and dies. 5/9 15 inch AP rounds rip through the destroyer's rear half. He loses 25% of his hp. No sign of the 5 human sized holes that have gone right through his ship into the water. The shells, while not detonating, managed to not hit a single important component or caused any form of structural damage on their way through the entire width of the ship.

And equally we don't have the case where 1 torp hit on a BB totally disables it and it sails around in circles for the rest of the game do we?

Or a few torp hits sink the BB?

Sounds like you have presented another short story from the world of one eyed players.....

• Cool 1

[MRI]
4,042 posts
17,937 battles

Same reason why crossing the T is something that you don't want to do in this game despite it being desirable IRL.

This game is not meant to be realistic...

Edited by Thyaliad
  • Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,537 posts
15,104 battles

That DD deserves to survive for getting that close to a BB and not dying. He's had to track across half the map (bacuse most BBs stay near the back these days), and survive being spotted by radar/hydro/planes/other DDs, avoid being shot at by ships, and has somehow crossed the remaining 6 kms between his detection range and the BB without being killed by BB's allies or BB's secondary's or Main Battery.

The question is not why the BB cannot do more damage to the DD, the question is how the BB allowed the DD to get that close in the first place.

You can get away with point blank torping in co-op 90% of the time, but in Randoms, most players are smarter. If you're in a BB who got point blank torped, its probably because you got ambushed around the side of an island and did not have enough situational awareness (and were probably ignoring the minimap) to notice the likelyhood of a DD being in the area.

Or, despite playin g over 3000 games, didn't realize that BB AP will rarely kill DDs in 1 shot. Seriously, any ship who suspects that a DD is in the area should make sure they meet him bow on, unless they are hauling aft. BB in example was playing poorly, trust me, made that mistake a few times myself, and I was definably playing poorly in those instances.

[CLAY]
3,537 posts
15,104 battles
21 hours ago, Cyberwaste said:

Another lesson learned from the book of "This isn't real life, Learn the mechanics of the GAME."

[TF44]
233 posts
2,649 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Another lesson learned from the book of "This isn't real life, Learn the mechanics of the GAME."

To be fair the result in real life could be the same. Tsushima Straight wasn't exactly a head on battleship brawl.

• Cool 1

[BZ]
63 posts
17,130 battles

5 hits for the BB - wow!

Surely 1 overpen and 1 ricochet for 1.5k total damage?

[TLS]
5,309 posts
22,026 battles

by right the dd would be flooding and sinking with the holes the size of elephants.

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles
50 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

by right the dd would be flooding and sinking with the holes the size of elephants.

That would surely be right even with Cruisers hit on the hull.
And while were at it, how about torpedoes on DD be realistic too ... those are torpedo systems that are meant to be reload on port.
-------------------------------
By these settings it would only garner more frustrations and annoyance to players.
Being realistic in a ship game is not that fun. (no aim assist, no lead, no ninja ships and sinking from being hit by large caliber shells would be more prevalent).
Only BB would thrive in such an environment oh ... correction CV would be the winner here.

• Thanks 1

[SMOKE]
3,030 posts
19,497 battles

If its real world, with a DD that speed so close, the BB's guns would be pretty much useless cause no BB guns had that acute a depression angle allowed , people always forget that those guns are placed way higher than even the highest part of the DD's super structure bar the main mast. BB's defense against any close in enemy is their secondaries and usually by individual manual aiming. 

Edited by Mechfori

[TLS]
5,309 posts
22,026 battles
2 hours ago, iDd_Sloth said:

That would surely be right even with Cruisers hit on the hull.
And while were at it, how about torpedoes on DD be realistic too ... those are torpedo systems that are meant to be reload on port.
-------------------------------
By these settings it would only garner more frustrations and annoyance to players.
Being realistic in a ship game is not that fun. (no aim assist, no lead, no ninja ships and sinking from being hit by large caliber shells would be more prevalent).
Only BB would thrive in such an environment oh ... correction CV would be the winner here.

So... dds should keep quite as they have been given tons of unfair advantages c/f to IRL? :3

• Funny 1

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles

Real world mechanics is not fun for arcade.
I mean would like calculating for target solutions before you fire you guns?
Well, it would be fun for some but who would stay for 1-3 hour per game.

[TLS]
5,309 posts
22,026 battles
Just now, iDd_Sloth said:

I mean would like calculating for target solutions before you fire you guns?

Isn't this what we are currently doing in game? I always have to do trigonometry...

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
671 posts
21,139 battles
5 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

So... dds should keep quite as they have been given tons of unfair advantages c/f to IRL? :3

The point was in reply to people wanting to apply real world mechanics in-game.
Since before even DD's could come near the BB's they would have to deal with the screening DD and if they get past that ... there's also the cruiser picket.
It's not really that easy to go near a BB unless you're in a limited engagement area.

[TLS]
5,309 posts
22,026 battles
13 minutes ago, iDd_Sloth said:

The point was in reply to people wanting to apply real world mechanics in-game.
Since before even DD's could come near the BB's they would have to deal with the screening DD and if they get past that ... there's also the cruiser picket.
It's not really that easy to go near a BB unless you're in a limited engagement area.

I know. Obviously my comment was aimed at certain segments who keep on complaining about dds "getting shafted".

146 posts
1,108 battles

I remember the days when bb shells did what they should. It was pretty much "dd must be in smoke or island ambush" or they just  one shot in a smoking heap from the 1st bb volley, BB's just wern't scared of them nor did they have a reason to be. As is, it's much more natural/realistic, BB's should be running with support to defeat dd close in.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this