Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Puggsley

Torps hitting islands?

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

422
[BONED]
Member
904 posts
12,942 battles

Anyone else experienced torps hitting islands when you launch well clear of the island?

First few times I thought I had just aimed badly, but its definitely happening when aiming well clear of any land.

  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[CLAY]
Member
3,545 posts
15,179 battles

Similar to ships hitting islands when you appear well clear.

I think WG have been messing with the maps, changing the underwater topography (possibly for subs), so islands are now bigger due to underwater obstacles, they no longer end at sea level.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
230
[BELLE]
Member
498 posts
33,831 battles

If you have watched Best of twitch WoWs by FreetheBrain, there are like 4 or 4 BBs grounding on islands well out in what was a channel

 

if you watch from 10:40 onwards you will see

Edited by SgtSullyNZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43
[AUSFF]
Member
71 posts
14,501 battles
1 hour ago, Puggsley said:

Anyone else experienced torps hitting islands when you launch well clear of the island?

First few times I thought I had just aimed badly, but its definitely happening when aiming well clear of any land.

yea ive noticed times when my torps are on completely different trajectories than what the sights have shown... most noticeable when half o em smash into an island that they should have cleared.... same thing can happen with main batteries at times... i think its desync

Edited by KingOchaos
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,245
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,553 posts
12,466 battles
3 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Anyone else experienced torps hitting islands when you launch well clear of the island?

First few times I thought I had just aimed badly, but its definitely happening when aiming well clear of any land.

Yes, I've had a couple of torp launches this patch that have been released clear of land, but half a launcher has hit the island. I can't recall seeing it before this patch, I put it down to lag, but maybe they've broken something. 

It was quite clear that the torps were launched on a slightly different angle to that which was clicked on, it definitely wasn't an aiming problem. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
975
[SMOKE]
Member
3,057 posts
19,534 battles

Yeah seeing that here too , usually trying to blind fire along the edge of an island on some maps, now its hitting the island instead of sailing along .. not all, but some .. there need t be a reminder for surface ships that there's sandbar or something there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,646
[MRI]
Member
4,045 posts
17,956 battles
6 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Anyone else experienced torps hitting islands when you launch well clear of the island?

First few times I thought I had just aimed badly, but its definitely happening when aiming well clear of any land.

Same here. I have experienced this once in a while, but I always thought it was due to lag or something.

Just played a game I launched a set of torps that would have cleared the sinking wreck of a dead enemy, but one torp actually went on the other side of the wreck.

Some screenshots from the replay:

shot-21_06.26_19_01.40-0123.thumb.jpg.11139d66e5828c5bdd8de9e1cc06f4bb.jpg

I have just launched my torps. Notice the wreck of the sinking DD on the left side of my torp aiming line. My torps would have cleared it.

shot-21_06.26_19_02.00-0314.thumb.jpg.7639e9a1791eeb51be529033b7da3bd1.jpg

But one torp ends up on the left side.

The replay for those interested:

20210626_182106_PJSD518-Asashio_23_Shards.wowsreplay

It happens around the 10:55 mark on the in-game timer.

6 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Similar to ships hitting islands when you appear well clear.

I think WG have been messing with the maps, changing the underwater topography (possibly for subs), so islands are now bigger due to underwater obstacles, they no longer end at sea level.

OP is talking about something else. In this case, torps are not matching their launch trajectory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,963
[CLAY]
Member
3,545 posts
15,179 battles
26 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

Same here. I have experienced this once in a while, but I always thought it was due to lag or something.

Just played a game I launched a set of torps that would have cleared the sinking wreck of a dead enemy, but one torp actually went on the other side of the wreck.

Some screenshots from the replay:

shot-21_06.26_19_01.40-0123.thumb.jpg.11139d66e5828c5bdd8de9e1cc06f4bb.jpg

I have just launched my torps. Notice the wreck of the sinking DD on the left side of my torp aiming line. My torps would have cleared it.

shot-21_06.26_19_02.00-0314.thumb.jpg.7639e9a1791eeb51be529033b7da3bd1.jpg

But one torp ends up on the left side.

The replay for those interested:

20210626_182106_PJSD518-Asashio_23_Shards.wowsreplay

It happens around the 10:55 mark on the in-game timer.

OP is talking about something else. In this case, torps are not matching their launch trajectory.

Ah, right. I did have something like that happen recently as well, Aimed at stationery ship which was beached, fired, torps hit about a length from the bow to the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,245
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,553 posts
12,466 battles

@Puggsley it seems that there is a bug introduced with this patch that makes your torps go down a different release direction than the aiming point when you are turning.  The higher the ping the more it will do it, but it does it even with very low ping. 

Until they fix it, all we can do is make sure we are not turning when launching torps.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[-LCM-]
Member
7 posts
1,823 battles

Could it be like shell fire while you are moving. Seems to  drag projectile left or right depending on ship  direction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
422
[BONED]
Member
904 posts
12,942 battles
4 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

@Puggsley it seems that there is a bug introduced with this patch that makes your torps go down a different release direction than the aiming point when you are turning.  The higher the ping the more it will do it, but it does it even with very low ping. 

Until they fix it, all we can do is make sure we are not turning when launching torps.

OK thanks for that info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×