Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Cyberwaste

Remove/Alter Karma

6 comments in this topic

[BKT]
Beta Tester
24 posts
3,847 battles

The Karma system only serves to give toxic players a way to punish people for not doing what they want, or for simply outplaying them. A prime example is when you don't immediately throw your ship away to save someone who made a chain of poor decisions and is now going to die.

You find yourself too often in games where your battleship is staying back from an area because of one or more enemy destroyers lurking  behind islands and being ping spammed by someone who expects you to simply sail straight into them. If you don't do it, they and their division mates will just bad karma bomb you. What they want is a sacrificial scout that isn't them. It doesn't matter that battleships aren't really going to be good at spotting destroyers around islands and will almost certainly die without doing any damage or spotting for any amount of time. They just want you to make things easier for them, and if you don't, they'll spam report you.

You get a similar problem playing a carrier. Carriers fill multiple roles across the entire map. Because of this, every player on the team expects the carrier to be supporting them, and them alone, with whatever they think is most important. The carrier may actually be working to scout a dd on the far side of the map for a push that lost their own scout. That doesn't matter, if you don't fly all the way over to the radar cruiser spamming the AA request immediately, you'll get reported.

The karma system, at least in its current state, simply provides a tool for bad players to punish others who don't play just as poorly as them. Players just feel bad when they do their best, do everything right, hold a flank alone, or deal 150k damage, and then get back to port having lost 3 karma for their effort because they didn't charge into a Halland and two Shimakazes to push a flank that didn't need to be pushed.

Either remove it, or only allow positive karma to be attributed by players.

• Cool 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,025 posts
9,753 battles

@Max_Battle  Your time to shine my friend.  A MaKrA thread.

Cyberwaste.......What does negative makra do?    Nothing.    Dont lose sleep over it.   

• Thanks 1

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,664 posts
27,309 battles

Makra Gud.

High Makra Gudderer.

It puts the crisp in your bacon and the fluff in your scrambled eggs.

It makes your exes pine for you and phone you up for booty calls at 3am.

It gives you 2% extra interest on all your investments.

It makes you immune to Covid-19.

Makra Gud.

• Funny 1

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
6,025 posts
9,753 battles
46 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Makra Gud.

High Makra Gudderer.

It puts the crisp in your bacon and the fluff in your scrambled eggs.

It makes your exes pine for you and phone you up for booty calls at 3am.

It gives you 2% extra interest on all your investments.

It makes you immune to Covid-19.

Makra Gud.

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[CLAY]
3,545 posts
15,179 battles
4 hours ago, Cyberwaste said:

The Karma system only serves to give toxic players a way to punish people for not doing what they want, or for simply outplaying them. A prime example is when you don't immediately throw your ship away to save someone who made a chain of poor decisions and is now going to die.

You find yourself too often in games where your battleship is staying back from an area because of one or more enemy destroyers lurking  behind islands and being ping spammed by someone who expects you to simply sail straight into them. If you don't do it, they and their division mates will just bad karma bomb you. What they want is a sacrificial scout that isn't them. It doesn't matter that battleships aren't really going to be good at spotting destroyers around islands and will almost certainly die without doing any damage or spotting for any amount of time. They just want you to make things easier for them, and if you don't, they'll spam report you.

You get a similar problem playing a carrier. Carriers fill multiple roles across the entire map. Because of this, every player on the team expects the carrier to be supporting them, and them alone, with whatever they think is most important. The carrier may actually be working to scout a dd on the far side of the map for a push that lost their own scout. That doesn't matter, if you don't fly all the way over to the radar cruiser spamming the AA request immediately, you'll get reported.

The karma system, at least in its current state, simply provides a tool for bad players to punish others who don't play just as poorly as them. Players just feel bad when they do their best, do everything right, hold a flank alone, or deal 150k damage, and then get back to port having lost 3 karma for their effort because they didn't charge into a Halland and two Shimakazes to push a flank that didn't need to be pushed.

Either remove it, or only allow positive karma to be attributed by players.

I agree with you. I just usually keep my mouth shut about it because the general attitude of karma is that of Ralph's. And anyone who gets annoyed by karma is usually told not to worry about it, or called a snowflake.

People: "Remove Karma, it does nothing but makes you feel bad."

Other People: "Why remove karma? It does nothing, why feel bad about it?"

This basically sums up the Karma argument. And WG being WG, its easiest to do nothing about a non-core-game problem.

Its not wrong that losing karma makes you feel bad, it just means that you care what people's opinion of you, and it makes you strive to improve yourself. Which is why having no idea WHY you were reported is so annoying.

But the Truth is, its an online game. There are going to be salty people who just say or do things that make you feel bad, either through Karma or through chat just because they feel like it. Its not right that they do so, but you just have to harden you heart against them. Or if you truly cannot deal with it (such as if you have severe mental issues), stop playing. Its not worth your mental wellbeing.

Best of Luck Captain.

[BKT]
Beta Tester
24 posts
3,847 battles

Grygus, thanks for the friendly insight. I find myself so often surrounded by hostile and abusive team mates in random battles and that in turn can get me to bite back sadly. I've resorted to disabling battle chat, one so I don't have to read the constant stream of trolling, but also so I don't buy into it. It is incredibly frustrating to play very well and contribute to the team's win then find you've been reported three times. It's a bit like being stuck wondering why people you always had a good time with now won't reply to your messages. Anyway, if the karma system doesn't affect anything, why have it at all? It's so open to abuse that making it actually count for anything impossible. I think only allowing positive karma votes would actually really improve it.

Sign in to follow this