Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BigWaveSurfer

3rd Nation of ships

36 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
953 posts
5,654 battles

I know like me you where thinking British line would be 3rd.....but no Russian line has jumped in to be the next nation ahead of the British. oh well, guess they want to make money form there largest player base. I can wait

wows Russa.jpg

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Yup bring in the losing nation of major naval warfare encounters of the 20th century.....

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tsushima)

Leave out 2 of the major powers of the 20th century (and imo most anticipated) in Great Britain and Germany...

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_battleship_Bismarck & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hood_(51))

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
953 posts
5,654 battles

well it was a big naval player in 1905. just not so big after 1906 and I think WoWs kicks off in 1905. they had no shortage of paper ships in the years to follow (just never got around to starting any).

ok game market might be the biggest sway to put them in first, can't blame them for that

Alpha Tester
8 posts

The Italian Navy would also be viable - dem Littorio Class Battleships bro.  But yeah, the RN would have been the obvious 3rd nation.  Oh well.

Edited by CrossHares

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

You need to have the business aspect in mind as well. WG's core targetaudinece in WoT is the RU region. In order to get that region interested in a game, you need the content from their region, which is why the russian treehas jumped up in priority in WoWS, to get the same core target audience that has made WG the company it is today, interested in WoWS to the same degree they are interested in WoT.

You might say or think, that the same holds true for europeans or commonwealth member countries, but it is not really so. And afair the Royal Navy vessels will be the fourth line implemented. It might even be that upon release or very shortly after release, there will be 4 trees. If I recall correctly, the RN vessels to be included had allready been chosen, and modelling plus skinning of them were in the initial stages. So thats work that doesn't need to be done again, meaning a shorter time to get them implemented after the russian vessels.

And at the end of the day WG needs to make business wise decisions as well. Compared to a lot of other companies in the gaming industry, I would say that WG actually walks the balance between prioritizing business decisions vs gameplay decisions very well.

Alpha Tester
802 posts
2,945 battles

there are also the french. they all got bombed in port in ww2, in fear of the germans using them. I would say they have started with IJN and USN because both had powerful carrier fleets in ww2. germany, britain and everyone else was behind the 8-ball.

Alpha Tester
8 posts

there are also the french. they all got bombed in port in ww2, in fear of the germans using them. I would say they have started with IJN and USN because both had powerful carrier fleets in ww2. germany, britain and everyone else was behind the 8-ball.

Oh yeah, forgot about the French - would be interesting.  But if memory serves, Britain had 7 carriers at the outbreak of war, whereas the US had either 6 or 9, depending on whether you see WW2 starting in 1939 or 1941 for the US.  Britiain actually invented and built the aircraft carrier, so to say that it was behind the 8-ball doesn't quite ring true.  As for Germany, Italy, the USSR and others, yeah, they didn't exactly embrace the idea

Super Tester
802 posts

At the end of the day it's a financial decision. What you've ended up with is a nation that should (in theory) be big in the Asia region (IE: Imperial Japanese Navy), the NA region (US Navy.. well duh) and last and most definitely least the Russians. 

But given there was a lot of lend lease to the Russians, expecting British ships as premiums or even regular ships is a given at this stage for Russia. 

Alpha Tester
8 posts

'What do the Russians have to offer?' - This was my original, mocking question when I heard the news.  Then I thought about it a bit more and it turned from mocking rhetoric into an actual question.  You see, I don't actually know that much about the Imperial Russian or Soviet Navies from 1905 to the 1950s.  In fact, let me show you what I mean by putting down the internal narrative I have about the two Navies:

"The Russian Navy was alright I guess.  Then they suffered a crippling and humiliating defeat at the Battle of the Tsushima Strait and had to rebuild.  During the First World War, they mostly stuck around the Black Sea.

It turned into the Soviet Navy around about 1918, although most of the personnel had fled or been killed by revolutionaries.  It then sat around in a semi-decayed state for the interwar years, its few competent personnel being picked off by successive purges and was reduced to little more than submarine and MTB actions during WWII.  For the most part sailors were used as soldiers and naval guns were used as artillery, though let's not forget that these were desperate times.

It wasn't until Nikita Khrushchev that the Soviet Navy become a power in its own right, and I would even contest that it was this ability to project power that made the USSR a superpower until it was eventually dissolved in the early 90s."

So as you can see, there are a lot of gaps in my knowledge and understanding of the two Navies - by which I mean I'm totally ignorant.  In summary, I know a little bit of 1905, and a lot from the 1950s onwards but close to nothing from in-between and I suspect there are a few people in the same boat (pun not intended, just a happy coincidence).  It appears that this is the exact period that WoWs is covering, so after thinking about it, I've come to the conclusion that this could be a very good thing for everyone who has a similar or even slightly better knowledge base.  We'll get to see and learn about actual ships from the time, even paper ships have something to teach us about what/how naval architects were thinking.  Think about it, an entire period of warships and weapons that might have otherwise been lost to history or passed us by.  I for one will look forward to the IRN/SN tech tree for this reason alone.

Edited by CrossHares

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
953 posts
5,654 battles

there isn't much to go on in the time frame 1905 to 1945 they did have 4 battlecruiser Gangut, Poltava, Petropavlovsk, Sevastopol (all showing a date of 1911) with 4 more planed (and looking much along the same layout as the earlier ones I mentioned. Borodino (1917?), Ismail (1915?) Kinburn (1915?), Navarin (1917?). but these last 4 where not completed most likely because of WWI.

there was also Battleship design 'UP 41' this was a ship designed by the Italians for the Russians but came to nothing. was to be a 32kt ships armed with 9x16in guns around the 42,000-50,000 ton. there were also 3 other designs drawn up by US firm Gibbs & Cox for battleship-carrier hybrid all around the 70,000 ton mark.

later they laid down 3 units of the Sovietskiy Soyuz class, these where 60,000 ton ships with 9x16in guns and speed of 28kts, armour on them looks quite strong 16.75in-14.75in belt, 8.7in deck, 19.7in turret, 16.75in conning tower.

that is about as much as I have (the heavy units being the easier to look up).

hope this helps a bit

Alpha Tester
5 posts
611 battles

There are quite a few nations that could have themselves added to the list with US and Japan, but of course the major ones are the RN, Russia, Italy, France and Germany. I'm just hoping that, in the RN tree, some Australian cruiser variants appear for use (not that I'm biased or anything) =)

[STGGC]
Beta Tester
162 posts
2,861 battles

the only russian active battleship that i know in ww2 is Gangut-class,, and she doesn't even fire her gun after 1942,, less action,, and no one cares,, unlike the brit that fighting more on the sea,, or USA in pacific,, or even the italy on mediterranea,, no action mean no one cares about them,, but hey,, she still deserve a medal anyway

Edited by Admiral_Sonoda_Umi

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

dafak WG.......why Russia.......was expecting British (yep announced) and German.....

but why Russia? all I know they lost that genuine term "navy" in their armed forces the moment when the lost the Russian-Japanese War.......only to reclaim it back later on after World War II....

:honoring:

Beta Tester
856 posts
746 battles

Well, most of the Russian ships are just old ones that date back World War I (hence they can only be tier 1-tier 3), but most if not all of them haven't got the chance to participate in World War II.......

some are still in construction stage, but were stopped due to the bombardment of the Germans....

some are just given by the USN or by the Royal Navy....

some already are made, but are being scrapped, or being converted to an another type of ship (oil tankers for example)

some are just captured from the Kriegsmarine.....

some few are the ones genuinely built by the Russians (example: Kirov and Chapayev class cruisers, and some destroyers)

these are the only things that I can vaguely remember.....(kek I don't have many knowledge in Russian ships, because it's like...THERE ARE NO RUSSIAN SHIPS AT ALL BEFORE :teethhappy:)

so yeah if the Russian tree shows up, I would make and equivalent of this as like WoT's "imaginary tanks" like for example, the Waffles E-100.......

Edited by GeneralPaps

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Well, most of the Russian ships are just old ones that date back World War I (hence they can only be tier 1-tier 3), but most if not all of them haven't got the chance to participate in World War II.......

some are still in construction stage, but were stopped due to the bombardment of the Germans....

some are just given by the USN or by the Royal Navy....

some already are made, but are being scrapped, or being converted to an another type of ship (oil tankers for example)

some are just captured from the Kriegsmarine.....

some few are the ones genuinely built by the Russians (example: Kirov and Chapayev class cruisers, and some destroyers)

these are the only things that I can vaguely remember.....(kek I don't have many knowledge in Russian ships, because it's like...THERE ARE NO RUSSIAN SHIPS AT ALL BEFORE :teethhappy:)

so yeah if the Russian tree shows up, I would make and equivalent of this as like WoT's "imaginary tanks" like for example, the Waffles E-100.......

Верный as tier 10 DD?

Sign in to follow this