You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
isaaclao_2017

What is the best ship to use radar?

21 comments in this topic

[HK612]
3 posts
739 battles

Recently saw a video about Des Moines from Yuro's channel, and he said Des Moines is not the best ship to equip radar with, so what ship is recommended to use the radar consumable (if it can be equipped)

[CLAY]
3,310 posts
14,398 battles

Yuro is an entertainer first and foremost. And an extremely good player. I’d take anything he says with a grain of salt.

Radar is a tool. You should never go into a game expecting radar to be the solution. You should just be aware that you have this tool, play the ship in a suitable style, and use radar when the opportunity arises.

Frankly, every US and Russian ship which can equip radar should have it.

Pan Asia DDs... Only if you’re good and know how to play without smoke, and RN CLs, only Mino, if you’re good.

• Cool 6

[151ST]
3,690 posts
12,242 battles
3 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Yuro is an entertainer first and foremost. And an extremely good player. I’d take anything he says with a grain of salt.

This is 100% (as is the rest of his post)

Radar (once you become adept at when to use it) is arguably the strongest tool in the game.

On a DM, if you are not running radar, you are crippling your team and you should realistically be playing a different ship.

There are other ships that are better at range than DM and don't have access to it.

Radar is so strong that for some players (I am one) it is considered more frustrating to vs than a CV.

• Cool 4

207 posts
4,682 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

This is 100% (as is the rest of his post)

Radar (once you become adept at when to use it) is arguably the strongest tool in the game.

On a DM, if you are not running radar, you are crippling your team and you should realistically be playing a different ship.

There are other ships that are better at range than DM and don't have access to it.

Radar is so strong that for some players (I am one) it is considered more frustrating to vs than a CV.

Spot on S4pp3R.

Except I find CV equally frustrating :Smile-angry:

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,690 posts
12,242 battles
2 minutes ago, Davey77 said:

Spot on S4pp3R.

Except I find CV equally frustrating :Smile-angry:

Oh I do at times too, but usually it's when I'm low HP (my own fault) or playing too static (I should know better) or it's just good RNG for the CV (like the perfect AP DB drop)...

Radar consistently gives me more issues...

But that's me, probs has more to do with how I play - that's my own thing to improve.

• Cool 1

207 posts
4,682 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

Oh I do at times too, but usually it's when I'm low HP (my own fault) or playing too static (I should know better) or it's just good RNG for the CV (like the perfect AP DB drop)...

Radar consistently gives me more issues...

But that's me, probs has more to do with how I play - that's my own thing to improve.

Playing in a dd radar gives me the most problems. At least you can smoke up or when in Halland/Smaland give the finger to CV.

Radar, there is no hiding.

• Cool 1

[WGPLS]
249 posts
4,769 battles

I find Gaydar much more frustrating than CV. At least CV is not a permanent 12km exclusion zone around a cap.

Let's not begin on chain cycling

• Cool 1

[TLS]
4,999 posts
21,516 battles
32 minutes ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

I find Gaydar much more frustrating than CV. At least CV is not a permanent 12km exclusion zone around a cap.

Or the triple minotaur div that molests lolibote shima.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,301 posts
24,766 battles
1 hour ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

Ha!

Ranked battle the other day.

I dashed into cap behind an island in my Fletcher.

Enemy German DD island hugged on the other side.

Hydroed me.

I hugged my island waifu so hard she got bruises.

Hydro ran out.

"Phew," I say and started to look for an exit strategy.

Enemy Missouri trundles up towards cap on other side of island...

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,301 posts
24,766 battles
13 hours ago, isaaclao_2017 said:

Recently saw a video about Des Moines from Yuro's channel, and he said Des Moines is not the best ship to equip radar with, so what ship is recommended to use the radar consumable (if it can be equipped)

What do you mean by your question?

Are you asking about radar range and duration?

Are you asking if 10km radar is useless compared to 12km radar?

Are you asking if it's worth putting Special Modules on or using commander skills to increase radar duration?

There's more to radar than just whether it exists or not on a given ship.

[LBAS]
2,129 posts
3,796 battles

normal DD player : Radar is frustating we cannt go stealth..... i am better againts CV (use smoke to hide)

Kleber : CV rocket nuke 1/3 HP.... WTF.... spotted all the time, so radar is literally useless

[SMOKE]
2,653 posts
18,422 battles

What Radar really present is an exclusion zone that's having no counter. And usually helped by your own team's big guns and cruisers who keep on ignoring the ship and refuse to take it out.

Radar sure is a thorn sticking out , but it's usually the team who would not prioritize their fire towards eliminating this thread that's more the issue.

[CLAY]
3,310 posts
14,398 battles

I assume these are the videos in question.

In addition to my comments on Yuro above, these videos are over two years old. There has been several reworks since then, so what was true then will not necessarily be true now.

Yuro’s comment on DM not being a radar cruiser is related to before radar was in game... a long time ago when the meta was much different. His idea is that you can either play as a gun cruiser or a radar cruiser. In the idea that radar cruisers donate all their time to staking out cap points and stalking DDs and become useless to team.

You should just play as a cruiser with radar. Adapt to the situation, if you need to play as a cruiser and just damage other ships, play as that, if you need to stalk DDs, do that. Radar has a huge effect on the game, and as @S4pp3R says, you’re holding your team back if you’re in a DM without it. Case in point, ever been shot at by a smoked DD or Mino and having no way to fight back?

• Cool 1

[WGPLS]
249 posts
4,769 battles
3 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Or the triple minotaur div that molests lolibote shima.

On that note, yesterday I ran into a unicum clan Radar Minotaur/Harugumo division in my Shima.

Outcome: Both torped to death, I lost -2 karma

Just imagine playing an anti-DD division and you are destroyed by the prime DD you are supposed to counter

Screenshot (1648).png

Screenshot (1647).png

Screenshot (1671).png

Edited by FatFluffyPenguin
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,301 posts
24,766 battles
16 minutes ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

On that note, yesterday I ran into a unicum clan Radar Minotaur/Harugumo division in my Shima.

Outcome: Both torped to death, I lost -2 karma

Just imagine playing an anti-DD division and you are destroyed by the prime DD you are supposed to counter

Screenshot (1648).png

Screenshot (1647).png

Screenshot (1671).png

LOL!

Well done.

5,903 posts
9,742 battles

Radar is another reason why Ocean is best map (and the only map that should exist in the game): there is no island for radar ships to hide behind.

F**k islands.

15 hours ago, isaaclao_2017 said:

The video where he recommends Spotter Plane for that ship? If so, that's bollocks.

You can do that and get a few laughs in Random (or Co-op), but there is no sane and/or serious person would use Spotter Plane over Radar. Des Moist is NOT a ship with ballistics friendly for long-ranged shots (not the entire US tree). Haven't watched the video again, but plane spotting, even when the video was made (before CV rework), was extremely BAD and still is extremely BAD. Radar cannot be destroyed, planes can be. Radar's detection is absolute, plane vision is trash.

Another bollock thing about that video is that, if you can get close and safe enough to a DD in smoke, you can use your very long Radar duration + DM's very high RoF to dispatch the DD quickly. Same thing with Worcester really, but Wusster's Radar is a bit worse.

The only few ships that can guarantee 'good' radar usage are the super CRs (Alaska, PR, Kornstarch, Stalingrad), Missouri and Smalland. The rest of the CRs require some skills to use. RN CLs require more skill.

1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

His idea is that you can either play as a gun cruiser or a radar cruiser. In the idea that radar cruisers donate all their time to staking out cap points and stalking DDs and become useless to team.

That's weird because... well, read above.

16 minutes ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

Error 404: Torpedobeat not found.

[LGND]
586 posts
13,862 battles

that Yuro video works well if you play Salem minus spotter plane (SALEM Spotter Plane when WG ?) since salem radar is in border line of useless 8.5km gaydar.... IMHO

[TLS]
4,999 posts
21,516 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Radar is another reason why Ocean is best map (and the only map that should exist in the game): there is no island for radar ships to hide behind.

OCEAN #1 AND ONLY MAP. Real men play ocean only.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,653 posts
18,422 battles
3 hours ago, Gesterbein said:

that Yuro video works well if you play Salem minus spotter plane (SALEM Spotter Plane when WG ?) since salem radar is in border line of useless 8.5km gaydar.... IMHO

I kind of disagree , but that's me , if you ask Salem to perform like a Des Moines, then go play Des Moines, yes its of the same class but its not the same ship. The Radar are not to be used for denying enemy cap , the range is not there , its to be used for defensive ( when enemy PUSH ) or offensive ( when you in Salem push ) , just play as a gun cruiser ( and a fast reload CA guns it had and take advantage of its Heal , its just a totally different play and play style vs D.Moines , that is what it is