You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tagnbag

Destroyers accidently nerfed?

14 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

Since the patch playing destroyers has become harder, ive noticed smoke doing weird things such as making the enemy invisible to the smoker while the enemy seems to be able to spot and shoot the smoker.  Most battles now have 2 enemy carriers, usually IJN and with their 5 thousand planes roaming about, the entire fleet is perma spotted making sneaky attacks nearly impossible.  The role of spotter gains no xp (I could be wrong) and so battles vary from super intense dodge the incoming fire even before you get near a target to death in the opening minutes as 5 thousand planes drop 5 thousand torpedoes on any place you drop smoke in an attempt to survive long enough to fire torps.  Don't get me wrong, you can still have exciting games but the fail and fail badly is so much higher. Its somewhat easier to get torp strikes from cruisers since at least you can take a few hits on the way in.   If anyone has work arounds for the being spotted all game i'd like to hear them. Maybe decrease spotting range on non-spotter planes?   Or maybe after the new carrier fad slows down and there's one per team it may go back to normal....  Would be nice to see some spotting xp since doing a good job of spotting helps the team win, but a win with "you have not proved yourself in this battle" is a hollow victory.

Beta Tester
146 posts
313 battles

Since the patch playing destroyers has become harder, ive noticed smoke doing weird things such as making the enemy invisible to the smoker while the enemy seems to be able to spot and shoot the smoker.  Most battles now have 2 enemy carriers, usually IJN and with their 5 thousand planes roaming about, the entire fleet is perma spotted making sneaky attacks nearly impossible.  The role of spotter gains no xp (I could be wrong) and so battles vary from super intense dodge the incoming fire even before you get near a target to death in the opening minutes as 5 thousand planes drop 5 thousand torpedoes on any place you drop smoke in an attempt to survive long enough to fire torps.  Don't get me wrong, you can still have exciting games but the fail and fail badly is so much higher. Its somewhat easier to get torp strikes from cruisers since at least you can take a few hits on the way in.   If anyone has work arounds for the being spotted all game i'd like to hear them. Maybe decrease spotting range on non-spotter planes?   Or maybe after the new carrier fad slows down and there's one per team it may go back to normal....  Would be nice to see some spotting xp since doing a good job of spotting helps the team win, but a win with "you have not proved yourself in this battle" is a hollow victory.

1. If no one is spotting for you while you are in the smoke screen then you can't see outside of it either. Its just logical.

2. You will get spotted inside the more you fire. Your AA included, if planes are right above you and you didn't turn off your AA good luck hiding.

3. They are still working on the reward system be patient.

4. Still having a hard time? You must be doing something wrong. 

5. This has all been there since way before I got into CBT. IT just became more apparent with more planes flying everywhere and more people not turning of their AA in a smokescreen.

Edited by MARVinis

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

It isn't really the DD's job to spot, and if you considered spotting giving exp, then the BBs at the back will be getting the most as they will spot the enemy BBs before anyone can even spot them. Planes are the one that should do the spotting as DDs themselves can't spot behind islands.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

ive noticed smoke doing weird things such as making the enemy invisible to the smoker while the enemy seems to be able to spot and shoot the smoker.

Yes, you are invisible to the enemy when deploying smoke. But not how the smoke being deployed. As enemy ship can manually aim for that lead smoker & damage you.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

1. If no one is spotting for you while you are in the smoke screen then you can't see outside of it either. Its just logical.

2. You will get spotted inside the more you fire. Your AA included, if planes are right above you and you didn't turn off your AA good luck hiding.

5. This has all been there since way before I got into CBT. IT just became more apparent with more planes flying everywhere and more people not turning of their AA in a smokescreen.

If you are not moving in smoke, nothing short of a 2km proximity detection will see you. I've sat countless times in smoke AA gun firing at the dive bomber above me and shooting at the BB 7km away, never got detected once.

(Though a smart captain will shoot blindly or torpedo the spot where you are hiding)

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Even A CV can predict the DD inside the smoke by following the smoke trail

It's easier for a CV to see, not so easy for other ships. 

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

It's easier for a CV to see, not so easy for other ships. 

It is easier just to look, but harder to aim

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

It is easier just to look, but harder to aim

I meant the smoke boundary. There's no indicator anywhere and you wouldn't really know you are in the smoke until everything disappears.

Beta Tester
131 posts
2,024 battles

A good DD captain picks his battle grounds first, I once stuck to my BB squad of 3 and when we rounded a corner dropped smoke so the enemy ships had a very hard time finding/ ranging the BB's. I do this when there no enemy CV's on the map. then go DD hunting. Also a great surprise for a sneaky CA captain, suddenly having torps coming from the bunched battleship firing line.

Edited by Tarrell

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

A good DD captain picks his battle grounds first, I once stuck to my BB squad of 3 and when we rounded a corner dropped smoke so the enemy ships had a very hard time finding/ ranging the BB's. I do this when there no enemy CV's on the map. then go DD hunting. Also a great surprise for a sneaky CA captain, suddenly having torps coming from the bunched battleship firing line.

Be careful doing this, enemy DD's will use your smoke to cover their torpedoes .....

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,562 posts

Be careful doing this, enemy DD's will use your smoke to cover their torpedoes .....

I know I do, why use my smoke when they have already laid it for me

Beta Tester
86 posts
6,093 battles

1* Yes this is how I assumed it worked but I seem to be getting accurate incoming fire from 8km away, im not leading smoke, firing aa or main guns. Could be a lag issue?

2* Agree 100% , AA off

3* Yes

4*Well i'm always doing something wrong but its the same wrong I was doing before the patch ...

5* Yes, the more planes thing is the issue i'm describing, it may settle down but in any case is kind of an accidental nerf to destroyers operating in stealth mode. Its very difficult to remain undetected with so many planes...

My reasoning for maybe a lesser view range on non spotter planes being that spotters have dedicated well.. spotters, whereas the attack aircraft on a mission have other priorities, maybe this would tip the balance back slightly.

Beta Tester
6 posts
557 battles

Just as an addendum. The smoke does not cover you perfectly if you are going at full steam and not directly away from the enemy ship. I have noticed multiple times that my "sixth sense" kept popping up even when i was smoked (yes my AA guns were off, yes I wasnt firing) I would break and reestablish contact sporadically, it helped a lot to dodge shots but it definitely wasn't stealth mode. 

(Note, that was with IJN destroyers, I don't know if its the same with USN destroyers)

Edited by go123452