Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MARVinis

The Roles of USN Carriers

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
146 posts
343 battles

So I got back my Independence after playing a couple of games on the Bogue and playing everything else in port to get the credits to buy the Independence back. 

After a few games I have gotten the "new" feel for the Independence. I also took a quick look at the aircraft load outs of the higher tier American Carriers and as well as adding a few games on the "new" Independence I have pretty good round about idea on the possible roles of USN Aircraft Carriers.

I do have to say that at least in my opinion USN Carriers are best played with the balanced plane load out. I have done the same on the Independence before while grinding for the Attack load out and I managed to make it work pretty well. 

Usually for this role you use the default plane load out. In the case of the Independence 1 squadron each of Fighters, Torpedo Bombers and Dive bombers. One thing that you will notice is that USN carriers tend to only carry a maximum of one plane, and that is only with the default load out the other load outs do away with TBs completely. 

As a general purpose ship your options vary from fleet defense and support to offensive roles. Compared to the other two load outs you keep your one Torpedo bomber squadron. This at least gives you chances to put the hurt on enemy warships. 

Having only one TB squadron however makes significant damage a lot harder. You can do more however by developing a two stage attack.

1st stage is you use your Dive Bombers to go ahead of your torpedo bombers. With the increase in the effectiveness of High Explosive shells and to an extension the HE bombs on Dive Bombers your objective here is to set the enemy in fire. If the enemy uses his repair ability don't worry, you've done exactly what you want him to do.

2nd stage-- Attack with your torpedo bombers if the enemy used his repair function after getting set on fire this should make up for the damage lost in lesser squadrons by flooding the enemy.

American aircraft carriers can gain the option of going for an all out Air superiority platform. However choosing this role leaves you very few choices however if the enemy team does not have any carriers, in which case your fighters only serve as scouts. You do get one or two dive bombers but these are pretty useless apart from self defense against Destroyers and Lightly Armored Cruisers. 

And even if you do manage to get into a game where the enemy has Carriers you won't get as much credits and XP (for now at least) compared to damaging or sinking an enemy warship.

The Other load out for American carriers focuses on Dive Bombers. Now on patch 0.3.1 High Explosive shells and in the case of DBs High explosive bombs are more effective, especially against lightly armored targets. In this role while DBs are still not as effective against large Battleships you can use them to great effect to harass the enemy team by setting ships on fire and forcing them to use their repair abilities.

Also it helps to feel secure when an enemy DD knows that you have dive bombers ready to ruin his day. 

Edited by MARVinis

Beta Tester
2,718 posts
1,988 battles

*How to play USN CV*

1. Use the Fighter loadout

2. Click at incoming enemy planes

3. Repeat

*Finish*

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

*How to play USN CV*

3. Repeat

*Finish*

"Repeat this until proceed to next tier with very low exp every match"

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

*How to play USN CV*

3. Repeat

*Finish*

until you hit tier 7 with hiryuu waiting at you, damn she has quite good figher, ranger fighter will win against 1-1 but she she has 2 fighters squadron and they can mow down ranger fighter if its use together against ranger 1 fighter squadron.

i wish tier 7 USN CV has 2 fighter 1 torpedo bomber setup. :unsure:

Edited by yansuki

Beta Tester
146 posts
343 battles

*How to play USN CV*

3. Repeat

*Finish*

1. For now at least this is not a very rewarding way to play CVs.

2. You can gain air superiority but unless your team has another CV with some attack planes other than just 1 squadron of DBs then you might as well be playing a live action version of minesweeper, because all you are doing is spotting enemy ships, which is again for the moment not very rewarding apart from hopefully allowing your team to win.

3. What happens if both teams have one guy left alive and the guy on the enemy team is a battleship? You can force a draw but let's face it nobody likes a draw.

Sign in to follow this