Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
MissJinx

USS Olympia

10 comments in this topic

[G-AB]
75 posts
1,531 battles

So at Tier 2 we have the Mikasa, a pre-dreadnought ship. of course we have the Dreadnought and other ships prior and during World War I. Now I am thinking, why not have the USS Olympia as well? Flagship of Adm. Dewey, which was the lead US ship in the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War. Overall I can see World of Warships to encompass the development of the 20th century warship all the way up to World War II, and the Olympia certainly has its contribution to the creation of the dreadnought, and ultimately the battleship. Drachinifel makes a good presentation of the USS Olympia:

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles

Reading the original transcript of the US Constitution at 2 AM while being half-drunk is arguably easier than reading this thread.

• Funny 1

119 posts
430 battles

Wasn't this ship the one that made it into news sometime ago? It was about how terrible the ship's condition was due to the lack of funds to maintain it.

[G-AB]
75 posts
1,531 battles

Maybe WG can help out in maintaining it. I think WG does help in the maintenance of historical war ships and vehicles, and certainly the Olympia would be a good candidate.

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
3 hours ago, MissJinx said:

So at Tier 2 we have the Mikasa, a pre-dreadnought ship. of course we have the Dreadnought and other ships prior and during World War I. Now I am thinking, why not have the USS Olympia as well? Flagship of Adm. Dewey, which was the lead US ship in the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish-American War. Overall I can see World of Warships to encompass the development of the 20th century warship all the way up to World War II, and the Olympia certainly has its contribution to the creation of the dreadnought, and ultimately the battleship. Drachinifel makes a good presentation of the USS Olympia:

Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of love for lower tier premiums for some time.

We got the Oklahoma but she's rather poor, but below T5, WG doesn't really bother much as they're 'cheaper'.

I would love to see her and many other older ships but I wouldn't hold high hopes.

Mostly the game is T8-10, almost officially it begins at T5-T6...

1,503 posts
6,693 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Wasn't this ship the one that made it into news sometime ago? It was about how terrible the ship's condition was due to the lack of funds to maintain it.

I recall WG has indeed held fundraising efforts to help preserve USS Texas and USS Batfish.

Another problem relating with the original post, however, is that there seems to be little motivation, besides "historical" aspects, to make lower tier premiums.

[151ST]
Alpha Tester
52 posts
7,189 battles

I think if WG were to give us a low tier protected Cruiser premium that helped lead the design phases of Pre-Dreadnoughts, Dreadnoughts all the way up to the Super Battleships, the USS Olympia shouldn't be it, it should be the Esmeralda. Really the USS Olympia really hasn't much claim to fame.....yes she was flying the flag of the Admiral when they entered Manila Bay, against an out dated enemy, riding at anchor in port. The battle was pretty much one sided...............so she was used for gunboat diplomacy, with not much else (suddenly have that song from Team America in my head,.......lol)

Chilean Ship Esmeralda was the first ever Protected Cruiser as we would know it (7 Years before Olympia), was part of a Naval Arms Race in South America, later was sold to the Imperial Japanese Navy and named "Izumi", took part in the Russo-Japanese War in 1904. She was the one of the ships that shadowed the Russian fleet before the Battle of Tsushima, and was involved in the start of the battle.......

This way it'd give the Pan-America line a Low tier Premium, as well as the choice of a low tier Premium for the IJN line..........plus keep US propaganda to a minimum

H

Edited by H_87A_2CU

[-FUN-]
470 posts
7,701 battles
On 1/8/2021 at 3:29 PM, MissJinx said:

Your font makes my eyes ache

[G-AB]
75 posts
1,531 battles
13 hours ago, H_87A_2CU said:

I think if WG were to give us a low tier protected Cruiser premium that helped lead the design phases of Pre-Dreadnoughts, Dreadnoughts all the way up to the Super Battleships, the USS Olympia shouldn't be it, it should be the Esmeralda. Really the USS Olympia really hasn't much claim to fame.....yes she was flying the flag of the Admiral when they entered Manila Bay, against an out dated enemy, riding at anchor in port. The battle was pretty much one sided...............so she was used for gunboat diplomacy, with not much else (suddenly have that song from Team America in my head,.......lol)

Chilean Ship Esmeralda was the first ever Protected Cruiser as we would know it (7 Years before Olympia), was part of a Naval Arms Race in South America, later was sold to the Imperial Japanese Navy and named "Izumi", took part in the Russo-Japanese War in 1904. She was the one of the ships that shadowed the Russian fleet before the Battle of Tsushima, and was involved in the start of the battle.......

This way it'd give the Pan-America line a Low tier Premium, as well as the choice of a low tier Premium for the IJN line..........plus keep US propaganda to a minimum

H

Now that's a thought. Yes, I think there should be more representation of ships from other nations, especially those that aren't the usual ones seen ingame, though I will say that the Olympia does have a place ingame as well. Well hopefully.

[CLAY]
3,006 posts
13,334 battles

What about HMS Olympic? Run down and ram some U-Boats 😛

Sign in to follow this