Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
QMG_Waz

Advice for newby wants to get better

9 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
4 posts
1,927 battles

Hi 

I've now been playing for a few years and have ships in all Tiers but I have to admit Im not sure what I need to do to get better, Im really a BB player but play other ships for Campaigns missions etc.

I like to brawl but enjoy sniping with the right ship I dont think I have a pref but I "think" I mix up my game-play with the wrong ship at times and how I position myself during games. I know with CA/CL / DD I am too aggressive and I will spend some time watching u tube for these ships but as each ship has different characteristics Im not sure if I need to watch a video for each type?

If anyone has time to check my stats if there is anything obvious Im doing please call out?

I'm thinking do I need to pick a couple of favorite ships of each type and tier and just stick to them rather than trying to learn everything? I guess Im trying to gauge how others approach this? I tend to mix ships/ game types a lot chasing "snowflakes" extra XP etc haha Im all over the place - appreciate any advice I rate myself as an ok player depending on the ship and at times I can be terrible.

Cheers

 

QMGWaz

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23
[XSA]
Member
87 posts
8,249 battles

Player statistics might represent how good a player perform in general, but one cannot tell what mistakes you have made simply by looking at your stats. There are many aspects to consider when you look to improve yourself. For example, how good is your aim? Do you fire whenever you can while neglecting the fact that you are broadside to half of the enemy team? Do you always find yourself over-extending, facing multiple enemies yourself? Brawling in a BB is a nice gesture for your team but the current meta in the ASIA server is sniping (yeah it's sad), and thus tanking too much does not reward your gameplay. I'm not encouraging you to hide and snipe, but knowing when and where to push is critical for a BB.

43 minutes ago, QMG_Waz said:

I'm thinking do I need to pick a couple of favorite ships of each type and tier and just stick to them rather than trying to learn everything?

This entirely depends on if you have the time to grind multiple lines. My account is less than two years old but I have more than 5000 random battle records in more than 300 ships. Playing different types of ship would let you know their characteristics, and thus you'll know how to counter them, but it does not hurt to master one or two before you move to the others. As a beginner, it is wise to choose the right ships to play with regards to your playstyle because you have limited resources (Free XP, Captain XP, Credits, etc.), but as you accumulate resources, trying to change your playstyle with different ships would make you an all-rounded player.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
250
[BONED]
Member
585 posts
7,735 battles

I'd also suggest thinking about how you will measure your progress as you go on the improvement journey.

Personally I like WR because I think it encompasses a whole bunch of difficult to measure areas like positioning and map awareness.

Some other measures might lead you to focus only on a couple of areas eg is farming BBs with HE spam which they can repair and getting 150k damage better or worse than getting 90k damage where you damaged cruisers and destroyers who could not heal and killed 2 of them. 

But pick one which you can keep a track of. Also remember short term swings can be pretty wild, so measure your improvement over a large number of games, a few hundred is about the bottom end of the right number. 

For an in game measure I like to keep an eye on my damage, spotting and tanked numbers. If they have not moved much for a few minutes then that is a sign I am pretty much out of the game and I need to move to a spot where I can start putting more pressure on the enemy and actively contributing to getting a win. 

I'm not sure what a good main gun accuracy is but at ~26% with main gun hits working on aiming might help you in the short run. Could also be you take a lot of sketchy snap or blind shots which impact too. Mine is at 33% and tbh I'm not sure what a decent range would be. Maybe have a look at some of the better forum posters stats on one of the sites to get an indication.

At higher tiers you are not getting enough damage on the enemy compared to what you take into the game for your side. 

Take a few moments after each game to ask yourself what you could have done differently to get a better result.

Things which have helped me get a little better. 

  • Try to fight one on one where you can.
  • Stay alive and steadily accumulating damage/spotting/tanked.
  • Map awareness is critical - where you are and who you need to be fighting.
  • Taking guns out of the enemy line-up is top priority.
  • PTFO is everyone's responsibility.

And the biggest one of all by far.

I'M TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY RESULTS. Even if I might rant in game a bit....

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,822
[151ST]
Member
2,962 posts
11,051 battles
3 hours ago, QMG_Waz said:

If anyone has time to check my stats if there is anything obvious Im doing please call out?

Ok... But none of this is conclusive, only indicative at best but kudos for asking for help!

Cursory look would indicate that you don't do well in ships that are punished harshly for positioning errors, e.g. CAs, certain BBs...

You also dip off fairly sharply as the tiers get higher. This is usually thanks to survival in most players but you survival % is fairly high... So most likely positioning and aim but that survival % could just be high because you have a high % played in BBs.

To be honest your stats are hard for me to read which most likely indicates I'm missing a key component of information or there isn't a consistent story.

Actually looking at it that's exactly the issue. You have certain outlier ships like Massa that throw your averages out. My guess is your aim and positioning probably need improving.

By 'Aim' I don't mean hitting things, I mean doing damage to things. When using BB AP against ships, you want to aim higher when they're angled, around turret level so you can hit their superstructure or upper belt.

You may want to learn armour plating and overmatch at different tiers.

BBs

T5 - 19mm, overmatched by all BB guns

T6-7 - 26mm, 380s+ overmatch

T8-10 - 32mm, 460s+ (Yamato, Mushy, Shiki)

This knowledge with knowing who has icebreaker noses (Soviet, German BBs and some CAs) allows you to more reliably damage angled or bow-in targets.

But golden rule is aim high when they ar3 angled.

Look up how to aim guides on YouTube for more info.

2 hours ago, PbKavarovsky said:

Playing different types of ship would let you know their characteristics, and thus you'll know how to counter them, but it does not hurt to master one or two before you move to the others.

This definitely but...

18 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

I'd also suggest thinking about how you will measure your progress as you go on the improvement journey.

This is excellent advice, have something you want to achieve, even if it's as simple as 'improve my win rate'... Then do what you can to get there. The easiest way to improve win rate is to do more damage and always have your actions giving your team an advantage where possible. I know that's not that helpful but Puggs has basically covered all the good stuff.

One last thing I would suggest is stick to one line of ships or a type of playstyle.

This way you don't have to adjust your brain or instincts to new shell ballistics or positioning as often.

I 'discovered' (realised) this recently... My WR goes up when I'm grinding a new line. It's not because I'm playing middle tiers (I do that a lot anyways), it's because I'm playing ships with the same playstyle over and over and not needing to readjust my thinking each game.

It's not a huge thing but if you are trying to improve, stick to a certain line, even if you are doing something like playing Vlad and then SinOP when Vlad is out of action... At least the play styles will be very similar.

Goodluck! Great attitude! Welcome to the englisg speaking forums, probably the least toxic place to discuss WoWS on the internet... lol

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
4 posts
1,927 battles

Thankyou for the fast replies some great advice I will put into practice track and see how I go

3 hours ago, PbKavarovsky said:

Do you always find yourself over-extending, facing multiple enemies yourself

Yes I do Im always seem to be on a Open flank when most of the team have headed the other way..I guess I feel obliged to "cover" a flank but always soon become outnumbered.

 

3 hours ago, PbKavarovsky said:

but it does not hurt to master one or two before you move to the others

Ill take this onboard

50 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

I'm not sure what a good main gun accuracy is but at ~26% with main gun hits working on aiming might help you in the short run

yes I seem to get many bounces etc but agree it is very low and I do take many "snap shots" rather than a more deliberate aim - I will adjust this

50 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

At higher tiers you are not getting enough damage on the enemy compared to what you take into the game for your side. 

Yeah agree I end games T9/10 and do think I havent done, enough many times I feel I havent positioned correctly and miss half the battle trying to get in a firing position I need to work on this

52 minutes ago, Puggsley said:
  • Try to fight one on one where you can.
  • Stay alive and steadily accumulating damage/spotting/tanked.
  • Map awareness is critical - where you are and who you need to be fighting.
  • Taking guns out of the enemy line-up is top priority.
  • PTFO is everyone's responsibility.

Im going to focus on these and track my results

20 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Actually looking at it that's exactly the issue. You have certain outlier ships like Massa that throw your averages out. My guess is your aim and positioning probably need improving.

yes agree Ive got a few ships Ive done ok in but many I havent and aim and positioning is a good call

22 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

By 'Aim' I don't mean hitting things, I mean doing damage to things. When using BB AP against ships, you want to aim higher when they're angled, around turret level so you can hit their superstructure or upper belt.

This is a great point I hadnt tried as I said I get many bounces etc and I do think my aiming point is off I will try to aim a little higher when opposition angled to me.

Ok Ill take all these points into Random practice with t9/10 so I can put into practice next Silver ranked sprint thanks for all the help please call out if you see me in a battle.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrator, WG Staff
247 posts
13 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Things which have helped me get a little better. 

  • Try to fight one on one where you can.
  • Stay alive and steadily accumulating damage/spotting/tanked.
  • Map awareness is critical - where you are and who you need to be fighting.
  • Taking guns out of the enemy line-up is top priority.
  • PTFO is everyone's responsibility.

And the biggest one of all by far.

I'M TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR MY RESULTS. Even if I might rant in game a bit....

Map awareness and positioning are still things I am working on. I feel a lot more comfortable following teammates and moving in a group than I do going off on my own. I try to use the map to my advantage rather than just sailing straight at the enemy team.... unless I'm playing JBB. Then is hammer time 💁‍♀️🔨

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[REPOI]
Member
271 posts
13,075 battles
  • Map awareness is always essential. And it varies from class to class in which area you would position yourself in. Spot weak sides, flanks in which you could take advantage of. 
  • Know your class, know their roles of each different classes. But do not it may differ for different nations even if they are in the same class. Play to their strength.
  • If you are playing a DD, please do stick with your team at the start of battle. You do not want to head out alone too early just yet unless you know what you are really doing. Being in a DD doesn't mean you have to rush cap first. Look around, look at how the enemies position themselves. Take a look at this thread below, it has been awhile and not updated yet but most of the points still stands.
  • Have some form of situational awareness. Know whats going on in your surroundings. Example includes don't get too tunneled visioned in. Look around you, there is no need to stay in bino view all the time.
  • Know your shells. HE being good does not mean you should stick to HE, HE and AP has its place. Know when to use AP or HE. Know their penetrations too. Some have 1/4th, 1/5th or 1/6th calculation. You can see their penetration in port under "Artillery" when looking at your ship.
  • Know the basics of overmatching. Don't know? Armour Value x 14.3 = Caliber needed to overmatch. What is overmatch? Shell simply just punches through the armour dealing damage instead of richochet/bounces/non-pens. You can refer back to S4pp3r's reply.
  • Wanna see how your perform compared to the server? Take a look at this site. https://asia.wows-numbers.com/
  • Referring back to your "aggresive" playstyle, try hold back a little. Don't get too trigger happy also while you are at it. Asia is known to be very passive and loaded with ∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎. I myself is an aggresive player but you got to learn to adapt from match to match.
Edited by HoChunHao
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
4 posts
1,927 battles
1 hour ago, HoChunHao said:
  • Map awareness is always essential. And it varies from class to class in which area you would position yourself in. Spot weak sides, flanks in which you could take advantage of. 
  • Know your class, know their roles of each different classes. But do not it may differ for different nations even if they are in the same class. Play to their strength.
  • If you are playing a DD, please do stick with your team at the start of battle. You do not want to head out alone too early just yet unless you know what you are really doing. Being in a DD doesn't mean you have to rush cap first. Look around, look at how the enemies position themselves. Take a look at this thread below, it has been awhile and not updated yet but most of the points still stands.
  • Have some form of situational awareness. Know whats going on in your surroundings. Example includes don't get too tunneled visioned in. Look around you, there is no need to stay in bino view all the time.
  • Know your shells. HE being good does not mean you should stick to HE, HE and AP has its place. Know when to use AP or HE. Know their penetrations too. Some have 1/4th, 1/5th or 1/6th calculation. You can see their penetration in port under "Artillery" when looking at your ship.
  • Know the basics of overmatching. Don't know? Armour Value x 14.3 = Caliber needed to overmatch. What is overmatch? Shell simply just punches through the armour dealing damage instead of richochet/bounces/non-pens. You can refer back to S4pp3r's reply.
  • Wanna see how your perform compared to the server? Take a look at this site. https://asia.wows-numbers.com/
  • Referring back to your "aggresive" playstyle, try hold back a little. Don't get too trigger happy also while you are at it. Asia is known to be very passive and loaded with ∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎∎. I myself is an aggresive player but you got to learn to adapt from match to match.

Great advice and thanks for reposting the link for DD I will study this - is there a similar link for CL/CA play?

Cheers

 

waz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
451
[REPOI]
Member
271 posts
13,075 battles
7 hours ago, QMG_Waz said:

Great advice and thanks for reposting the link for DD I will study this - is there a similar link for CL/CA play?

Cheers

 

waz

I am sure there is some here and there but I did not notice it. It is mainly in the form of replies to threads.
But I can surely get one in the works.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×