Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Shimakaze_The_Loli

Yamato or Petro for Randoms

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
61 posts
3,422 battles

Heya. I've been grinding for a bit now and I've enough Free XP to grab myself the Petropavlovsk outright (BTW, Riga is a very meh cruiser. Don't spend your time on her if you can help it). Alternatively, I've been wanting to get myself a good battleship for Tier 10, with Yamato being the most appealing one.  Are either of them worth it for simply playing the game? I don't do clan battles at all, and I only do ranked occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[IJN]
Member
311 posts
5,152 battles

Well, if you want to use either of them in randoms you will almost certainly need a perma-camo for them.

If you have the doubloons for one (5000) of the camos then I would suggest Petropavlovsk, as there is a free Yamato perma-camo you can get through the High School Fleet colection that appears whenever they have a collaboration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
969
[LBAS]
Member
1,939 posts
3,672 battles

Pro tips, if you want petropavlovsk no need for free XP. Of you want Yamato, Izumi is worth the skip.

 

Unless you want a ship that badly, WG will definitely remove some free XP ship.... 

The best way to use free XP is skipping low tier pass tier 8, the XP is damn lower compared to high tier bracket. For example cap in Minks+deal 36K damage just got winning XP for 1000, while in Udaloi or Ognevoi its worth more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
189
[4RSE]
Member
362 posts
8,925 battles

I recommend you persevere with Riga, it's lays a solid foundation on which Petro builds on. If you are getting a bit bogged down on the grind, load up some special flags to speed it up a little. But playing the ship is worthwhile even if it's just learning what it does well and what it lacks elsewhere. Just my personal thoughts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,855
[151ST]
Member
3,005 posts
11,080 battles
38 minutes ago, Skarhabek said:

Pro tips, if you want petropavlovsk no need for free XP. Of you want Yamato, Izumi is worth the skip.

Do not skip Izumo, she's amazing...

She's had a string of buffs over the years, if played well she's arguably the strongest T9 tech tree BB.

I find Yamato boring, snipe snipe snipe

Petro is strong but takes some nuance to get the most out of. She's less 'noob friendly' than Yamato but I would argue stronger in class.

But it's much for muchness.

1 hour ago, lunsmann said:

I recommend you persevere with Riga,

This is the right way to do it.

Save your FXP, there's far better ways to spend it than skipping a ship. e.g. skipping being stock, getting an Alaska, etc.

No matter how bad the ship is, learn to play it and you get better as a player.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
61 posts
3,422 battles
4 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

This is the right way to do it.

Save your FXP, there's far better ways to spend it than skipping a ship. e.g. skipping being stock, getting an Alaska, etc.

No matter how bad the ship is, learn to play it and you get better as a player.

 

1 hour ago, lunsmann said:

I recommend you persevere with Riga, it's lays a solid foundation on which Petro builds on

Okay, I will stick with Riga. I do like her design and ability to get up and go, but I suppose I've been spoiled by playing supercruisers and being able to bounce battleship shells on my sides. 

6 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Do not skip Izumo, she's amazing...

I was actually thinking of skipping playing Amagi to play Izumo. Amagi is just so... mediocre. Sure she works well as a ship, but there's nothing that stands out with her. She's even shorter ranged than Nagato was! I enjoyed playing Nagato for her range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,005
[TLS]
Member
4,371 posts
20,673 battles

If you want to survive this server's meta, play like everyone else. Yamato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,855
[151ST]
Member
3,005 posts
11,080 battles
1 hour ago, Shimakaze_The_Loli said:

Okay, I will stick with Riga. I do like her design and ability to get up and go, but I suppose I've been spoiled by playing supercruisers and being able to bounce battleship shells on my sides. 

It's probably not so much the SC or belt armour differences but HP... Any 'tanky' Cruiser is only a bit tanky, as it's a Cruiser...

Riga has good belt and upper belt, even her mid section is 35mm because go figure...

Her belt extends almost to her rear so you can actually stern tank a bit and shoot over your shoulder.

Cruiser tanking should never be 'absorb all the damage' but be done for a purpose; zoning out an enemy DD, tank one salvo before going dark, etc.

Riga has 25mm bow-stern sections which means if you are too static, BBs will blast you, almost all BBs at T7-10 can overmatch that, yes she does have an icebreaker but that's only the bottom 1/2, at any range over about 14km most BBs will be aiming above that anyways.

Maybe take a break if you aren't enjoying Riga and play other lines.

Grinding out T10s isn't about the destination unless you really really need it for CB or something, IMO it's more about the journey.

But anyways...

1 hour ago, Shimakaze_The_Loli said:

I was actually thinking of skipping playing Amagi to play Izumo. Amagi is just so... mediocre. Sure she works well as a ship, but there's nothing that stands out with her. She's even shorter ranged than Nagato was! I enjoyed playing Nagato for her range.

Yeah I still wouldn't skip Amagi, she teaches you stern tanking and kiting as a BB.

Izumo is a stern tanky BB, meaning you want to be showing your rear to enemy while angled.

Amagi can do the same but works better kiting... She has an extended belt to her rear meaning if you can catch shells on that, they'll bounce and if you can catch them on her torp bulge, they often shatter/do nothing as it functions like spaced armour.

You can extend her range with Spotter, otherwise patience is a virtue.

Amagi is still a good BB, T8 can just be a little rough at times but I'd still pick her over a range of other T8 options, NC is about the only tech line T8 that's better, although Kansas isn't bad if you have good aim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,601 posts
5,582 battles

I have both ships and run premium premium account (thats WG and wows premium subscriptions).

Yamato does very little damage for such big amazing guns, always overpen or ricochete, I die often as my WR in randoms is 10%. YES YOU HEARD ME TEN PERCENT.....coz "random"....about that wg...

Anyway... this means playing a mighty end game BB like Yamato that doesn't get much damage yet dies a lot, costs me MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of credits to play.

Playing Petro, the AP AND the HE do great damage, it has brilliant AA, collects you credits for plane kills and keeps you safer than Yamato...

Petro camps behind islands well as it can bow tank, funnily enough bow tanks better than mighty Yamato....

Petro has incredible low waterline profile, hard to hit, and gains russian bias bonus of -2 rng to hits and -2 rng to what the damage is done IF hits and gains +2 rng to accuracy and +2 rng to damage if hits with accuracy.

Petro all day long son.

Currently doing ranked silver qual seeing tonnes of petros and no Yamatos, they too scared coz Thunderer exists.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,855
[151ST]
Member
3,005 posts
11,080 battles
3 hours ago, Metal_illness said:

Yamato does very little damage for such big amazing guns, always overpen or ricochete, I die often as my WR in randoms is 10%. YES YOU HEARD ME TEN PERCENT.....coz "random"....about that wg...

Wait what??

Yamato is arguably one of the strongest BBs in the game and one of only a couple that Overmatch 32mm, i.e. everything.

It's also one of the most accurate.

I don't particularly enjoy playing her but if you are having issues, I'm sorry but the problem lies with the player...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,358
[CLAY]
Member
3,010 posts
13,351 battles
4 hours ago, Metal_illness said:

Yamato does very little damage for such big amazing guns, always overpen or ricochete, I die often as my WR in randoms is 10%. YES YOU HEARD ME TEN PERCENT.....coz "random"....about that wg...

 

2 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Wait what??

Yamato is arguably one of the strongest BBs in the game and one of only a couple that Overmatch 32mm, i.e. everything.

It's also one of the most accurate.

I don't particularly enjoy playing her but if you are having issues, I'm sorry but the problem lies with the player...

While Yama is known for her long range sniping, she is surprisingly tanky if used right. And this can be very useful mid-late game when you need to get in there to finish off ships. Only 3 BBs in the game can overmatch her bow currently. The only thing is to not expose her 'cheeks' due to her angled front citadel.

Of course, in the current meta, with all the HE spam, she is vulnerable to fire spammers, so should keep her distance early game. But she's less squishy than things like the Conqueror.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
225
[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,601 posts
5,582 battles

Pretty much all my salvos are on target, all the time every time.

My Yamato burns bad, has poor AA, and never gets any support.

I have no idea how the rest of you manage to play it.

But then my BBs often spawn off on their own side of the map with one ship support, usually a dd.

Hizen has just had that happen 3 games in a row , coz "random", but I guess that's the players fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,504 posts
6,696 battles
11 hours ago, hurricaneflyer said:

as there is a free Yamato perma-camo you can get through the High School Fleet colection that appears whenever they have a collaboration.

In fact that one is slightly inferior comparing with regular permacamoes for T10 ships, namely there is only the service cost reduction and the credit earning bonus is absent (subsituted by a commander XP earning bonus).

However it is very neat and good-looking (even if one has little knowledge about HSF before like me) and it costs only regular grinding (rather than 5000 doubloons), and anyway it is better than nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
766
[SMOKE]
Member
2,218 posts
17,136 battles
2 hours ago, Project45_Opytny said:

In fact that one is slightly inferior comparing with regular permacamoes for T10 ships, namely there is only the service cost reduction and the credit earning bonus is absent (subsituted by a commander XP earning bonus).

However it is very neat and good-looking (even if one has little knowledge about HSF before like me) and it costs only regular grinding (rather than 5000 doubloons), and anyway it is better than nothing.

IMHO that its kind of even out, you are already at T10 , so any extra EXP do not give you access to anything higher , extra credit earn is great but earning at T10 never the big plus, if wanting the credit , just play T9 or better still a Premium T9 ; and the Commander XP, well you can always use more Commander XP , and coming even more so with the 21 skill point cap raise.

By all means I advice against skipping any ship, even if you find it boring, challenging or down right bad , its all about using the grind to train yourself , OK , had to admit some of them really do not fit the bill , if skipping at all, I do also advice you should use the FXP to skip the early tiers, might be all the way past T5 , and start with T6 , where most Operation serve well as training ground and Co-Op is quite economically speaking , fine .. T7 / T8 is where you really start familiarizing yourself wit high tier Random ..  T9 is like , playing it without the T10 economy penalty

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×