Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mroctopus

Tier6 Premium Cruiser, Anyone?

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,806
[151ST]
Member
2,928 posts
11,017 battles
17 minutes ago, mroctopus said:

what is the best tier6 premium cruiser in your opinion?

Perth

Has a fairly low skill requirement to play ok.

Has an extremely high skill ceiling.

There will be other opinions but that's my opinion.

I also find Graf Spee to be amazing but you gotta know how to play her.

BUT...

What do you want the Cruiser for?

What are you trying to achieve with this premium?

Credits?

Operations?

Trainer?

Because that's what you can afford?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
6 posts
1,150 battles
Just now, S4pp3R said:

ceiling.

There will be other opinions but that's my opinion.

I also find Graf Spee to be amazing but you gotta know how to play her.

BUT...

What do you want the Cruiser for?

What are you trying to achieve with this

Credits

Operations

Trainer

and yes thats within my budget range as of now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,002
[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,739 posts
8,253 battles
17 minutes ago, mroctopus said:

Credits

Operations

Trainer

and yes thats within my budget range as of now

 

Perth: Credit earner. Can do operations, poor trainer because there is no line to train.  The pick of the bunch due to its versatility.  AP/HE are good. Creeping smoke. Hydro and spotter.  

 

GS: Credit earner. Can do operations.  Good trainer.   As S4pp3r said, its a strange one but good.  BB guns on a cruiser which can hit the ocean take some getting used to 

 

London. Credit earner. Can do operations. Good trainer.   Let down by its gun range, but overall a pretty solid ship because its a UKCA that actually has smoke and heal as well as hydro.

 

DeGrasse. Credit earner. Can do operations. Good trainer.  Good all rounder for french crews

 

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,806
[151ST]
Member
2,928 posts
11,017 battles
8 minutes ago, mroctopus said:

Credits

Operations

Trainer

and yes thats within my budget range as of now

Ok, well have a bit of patience as this could get a bit busy... Time to summon the wolves...

Social Wolves, ASSEMBLE!

A newbie wants our advice on a T6 Cruiser as a credit earner, ops ship and possible trainer...

Given that information, I'd probably suggest Perth, or find a Tech Tree Tier 6 and get a perma camo for it instead...

Most T6 premium Cruisers don't earn that much more in credits compared to tech tree ships. With in game methods you can try out the different ships and find the one you like, then get a permanent camo for a bit of extra earnings.

But if you are set on a Trainer, depends very much on which nations Cruisers you like to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[TF44]
Member
8 posts
4,543 battles

Huang He might be a good alternative to Perth since you can train the Pan-Asian Line. Not to mention if you don't mount Hydro then you can mount fast torps reload while will help you either way. Just note that the 8km torps are powerful though narrow spread (compared to the narrow & wide spread on most other ships).

 

GS is good as everyone has said but remember that you have cruiser armour with BB potential damage (with reload) but not alpha damage. Meaning you'll need to be selective on your targets and make those shots count. Has good handling and turret turn time as well plus Hydro and Repair so you're pretty set for a balanced purchase.

 

Molotov is a fine option too if you're willing to commit to lots of movement while firing your guns. Easy lead time on shots but your armour is paper. At least Huang He has creeping smoke to help itself. You'll need to constantly do get good angles on your targets to maximise this ship and only use the torps if you're that confident of surviving at 4km range.

 

You can consider Aigle or Anshan too since they can be bought for coal instead though I'm definitely not a fantastic DD player so I wouldn't recommend that as your first purchase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,499 posts
6,628 battles
26 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

 

Perth: Credit earner. Can do operations, poor trainer because there is no line to train.  The pick of the bunch due to its versatility.  AP/HE are good. Creeping smoke. Hydro and spotter.  

 

GS: Credit earner. Can do operations.  Good trainer.   As S4pp3r said, its a strange one but good.  BB guns on a cruiser which can hit the ocean take some getting used to 

 

London. Credit earner. Can do operations. Good trainer.   Let down by its gun range, but overall a pretty solid ship because its a UKCA that actually has smoke and heal as well as hydro.

 

DeGrasse. Credit earner. Can do operations. Good trainer.  Good all rounder for french crews

 

Molotov. Can do Operations (and excels in Aegis). Good trainer (do not heavily depend on IFHE: 180-mm shells penetrate 30-mm plating by default). Excellent Tier IX rifles from Dmitri Donskoi aboard a T6 hull, the epitome of in-game Soviet cruisers and their "glass cannon" concept: guns with excellent ballistics, fast in a strait line but rather sluggish to turn, and with rather poor protection.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,806
[151ST]
Member
2,928 posts
11,017 battles
3 minutes ago, mroctopus said:

nobody mention Duca d'Aosta? 

Would not recommend... Her build won't match RM CAs so not that great as a trainer and her shells are just bad...

She has good range and good reload but ends up just being poor.

Any of the Soviet long range ships are better options and generally stronger.

She can work ok if you stack fire chance but she doesn't get into the reliable territory even with full fire spec - others do it better.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
21,365 battles

Ok, so I have these ones but I'm really not sure what I would recommend.
1247054020_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_01.02-21_54_34_29.thumb.png.8dd67f0a3aca4f0b2b3610b14cab1fa6.png

I do a lot of Ops and I generally get through all of them when its a T6 Op week (which sadly it almost always is).

If I had to pick three, I'd say Molotov, London and De Grasse but that's mostly from an Ops point of view.

Molotov is as squishy as she is shooty (does not forgive bad positioning)

De Grasse is shooty and fast.

London is tough - In Ops you get to dictate range a lot more - or the bots are just going to be close anyway so the shorter range is not an issue in my opinion.

Also, certain of these ships do better at certain phases of certain Ops...

How invested in tech tree lines are you? Like which lines? 

Because that may be a wise consideration as you think about a premium.

London probably go well with either UK CA or BB captain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
764
[SMOKE]
Member
2,183 posts
17,073 battles

I second Perth and London , but Makarov , well its just so easy to just grind and get to Nürnberg , just get the permanent camou for it  , well I do find that the best HEAVY cruiser for Op at T6 is not actually a Cruiser at all but the French T6 BB Normandie. You just cannot beat 12 guns My usual rotation of a typical day's T6 Op run rotate between Perth, London, Nürnberg , & Normandie , sometime I just throw in some others just for fun and variety

Edited by Mechfori

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
21,365 battles
13 minutes ago, Mechfori said:

but Makarov , well its just so easy to just grind and get to Nürnberg

Yes.

I meant to say that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,854 posts
6,090 battles

BEST for Ops and Credit Earner :

1 :

London is by far the best Operations Build for Credit Earner due to versatility on Gimmicks. It can Heal , Hydro and Smoke , Not to mention high powered 203mm cannon.

Pros :

! ! ! : Alot of Gimmicks involved with Smoke Generator , Hydro acoustics Sonar , Repair Party.

! : Quite a nasty punch for 203mm Cannon.

! ! : Fairly Good Concealment.

Decent Turret Firing Angle and Turret Traverse.

! ! : Hydro Acoustic Sonar is long lasting for long defensive engagement.

Can turn well.

Cons :

203mm Cannon has a long reload of 15 Seconds.

! ! ! : Citadel is a joke as any above 140mm like Kuma had no problem using AP if you're on fire of course.

! : Slow for a Heavy Cruiser.

Below Average Anti Aircraft Suite.

! ! : Fairly short range for main gun 13.4 KM

------------------------------------

2 :

Molotov too best suited for aggressive flanking run because of high ballistics , High Speed , So much that Its Beginner friendly for Ops.

Pros :

! : Quite fast for a cruiser and very good turning response.

! ! : High Velocity 180mm Cannon capable of hitting something easily.

Good Range of 15.50 KM.

 

Cons :

! ! ! :  Fragile Armor means as usual getting hit beyond 150mm cannon is gonna make you suffer.

! : Torpedo Launchers are Shotgun ranged of 4 KM. Use that for Emergency Situation.

! ! : Large Turning Radius

----------------------------------------------------------

3 :

De Grasse is also by good ops credit earning cruiser due to its all rounder type of Light Cruiser . You can utilize it for Support or go Solo on.

Pros :

! ! ! : Turrets turns extremely fast for 15 seconds.

! : Fairly good reload for 8 seconds

! ! : Great Gimmicks : Speed Boost , Defensive Fire AA or Hydro Acoustic Sonar and Catapult Fighter .

! : Triple Torpedo Tubes for 9KM Range and Okayish 60 Knots speeds.

Cons :

! ! ! : This cruiser is non-existent when it comes to armor. Getting sneezed easily by anything.

! ! : Despite Cruiser Dispersion , It is below average.

! ! : Rudder tail gets smashed easily .

! : Anti Aircraft is woeful despite the main gun is a Dual Purpose itself even with DFAA.

Below Average 33 Knots Speed ( If you did not activate speed boost ) .

 

 

---------------

Will add more later.

 

 

 

LEGENDS :

! ! ! - Danger/Benefit

! ! - Critical/Great

! - Moderate/Good

No Exclamation - No Highlights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
21,365 battles
3 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

London is by far the best Operations Build for Credit Earner due to versatility on Gimmicks. It can Heal , Hydro and Smoke , Not to mention high powered 203mm cannon.

Yeah I tend to agree.

Only reason I didn't promote it like this is because different people have different styles.

But yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,312
[CLAY]
Member
2,958 posts
13,271 battles

Once you have a 19pt (soon to be 21pt) captain, it matters less what nation the ship belongs to, as it will all go to elite captain xp.

That said, considering you will soon be able to train a captain for 4 ships (one spec for each class), it would be beneficial to have a premium belonging to a nation you play a lot otherwise. Although even then, you have to retrain for different tech tree ships, so the captain will be limited to one tech tree class and three premiums of separate classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,854 posts
6,090 battles
9 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Yeah I tend to agree.

Only reason I didn't promote it like this is because different people have different styles.

But yeah, I don't think you can go wrong with London.

As long as you know how to hold the line when you are challenging a Battleship like Kongo or Fuso ( Especially those in Operation Aegis ) , You should be fine.

The Citadel will get sneezed often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
21,365 battles
2 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

As long as you know how to hold the line when you are challenging a Battleship like Kongo or Fuso ( Especially those in Operation Aegis ) , You should be fine.

The Citadel will get sneezed often.

See there's where I would rather be in Graf Spee.

Which again is why I am conflicted about recommendations.

Because there are numerous situations and circumstances in which certain ships are better.

BUT

Yeah, London good for a great many circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,854 posts
6,090 battles
Just now, Max_Battle said:

See there's where I would rather be in Graf Spee.

Which again is why I am conflicted about recommendations.

Because there are numerous situations and circumstances in which certain ships are better.

BUT

Yeah, London good for a great many circumstances.

 

I had a problems with Graf Spee alot. I would not recommend that Panzerschiff. Its moderately unfriendly to newbies who got it for first time. ( Lest its good at Aegis anyway due to slow convoys at far North sector . )

While, This Panzerschiff is best at hitting so hard but i am very questioned by its bent barrel stupidity. I cant hit so well at mid range. Especially its so bad against Izumo in Newport... The only good about it is when stupid A.I's Cruiser show trash broadside. But then again , I do not liked it even it has good gimmicks man.

When i finally had London, oh man , this guy is rekt-ing everything in most Ops.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,157
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,800 posts
21,365 battles
3 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

 

I had a problems with Graf Spee alot. I would not recommend that Panzerschiff. Its moderately unfriendly to newbies who got it for first time. ( Lest its good at Aegis anyway due to slow convoys at far North sector . )

While, This Panzerschiff is best at hitting so hard but i am very questioned by its bent barrel stupidity. I cant hit so well at mid range. Especially its so bad against Izumo in Newport... The only good about it is when stupid A.I's Cruiser show trash broadside. But then again , I do not liked it even it has good gimmicks man.

When i finally had London, oh man , this guy is rekt-ing everything in most Ops.

 

Again, I agree.

I like Graf Spee but I understand her.

And its hard to recommend her to someone who doesn't understand her, even though I like her.

But yeah her main guns can be a bit whoooosh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,854 posts
6,090 battles
1 minute ago, Max_Battle said:

Again, I agree.

I like Graf Spee but I understand her.

And its hard to recommend her to someone who doesn't understand her, even though I like her.

But yeah her main guns can be a bit whoooosh.

Yeh. So for now i lay out the good thing post on op as i post on it.

Molotov is too a strong ship for Ops.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
3 posts
2,275 battles

While I can't say much because I haven't tried most of the T6 Premium cruisers, from my own experience:

Graf Spee has the durability to outlast many cruisers at this tier, but her guns are quite different from anything you'll find here. Take the time to get used to them, but I enjoyed my rental period with her. While she has caliber her damage/dispersion is not quite up to scratch so make your shots count. Graf Spee has a repair party and a good health pool/armor scheme, but can still fold under fire. 

Molotov is a personal favourite of mine because of her guns. She is also fast but doesn't turn well. She is not forgiving though, as her armor scheme isn't quite up to scratch and she has no repair party. I don't recommend for Ops, unless you know how to protect yourself.

I've heard Makarov can make it work as well, but she has no Repair Party and has Nurnberg levels of armor protection (read: not very good). Perth and Huanghe have the funny smoke generator, but Perth can't train other captains as a Commonwealth ship. 

Overall I would recommend Huanghe and Graf Spee for what you're going to be doing in them. Other non-cruiser options are also available but I may not be the best person to ask about these things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
187
[4RSE]
Member
361 posts
8,782 battles

I don't disagree with any of the opinions in this thread, but my personal favourite T6 cruisers for operations are Leander, Nuernburg and Makarov. Makarov is the only premium on my short list. Leander for rate of fire and heal and the other twins for rate of fire and overall excellent damage dealing potential with unmatched range and accuracy. Makarov is also an excellent trainer for all the light cruisers in the Russian tech tree. Personally I just don't get the ships negative press at all. It's a damn fine light cruiser with excellent German guns and German torpedoes. I blame Floupies (thank you Sapper) for the "hate".

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×