Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Helena

Fighters - Who should get their cover and how to support the team effectively?

26 comments in this topic

119 posts
430 battles

Summary: I have finally got Ranger. But my experience with her so far is how tedious & frustrating it is to play the supposedly "easy to play" class.

The first problem I encountered was the multiple requests for AA support. I have only played Ranger twice so far, both as the only CV in the team, and both as bottom tier. The main problem is that I can never support everyone simultaneously.

Example (this actually happened in one of the battles), I dropped my fighter on the Shiratsuyu because the enemy squadron was heading to her position. But then the enemy squadron decided to ignore the Shiratsuyu, and headed to the Gaede on the other flank instead. And because my current squadron could not drop another fighter to support the Gaede due to the cooldown on the fighter, I had to withdraw the squadron, and deploy a different one. But I failed to reach the Gaede in time, and the Gaede began to blame me for not supporting him. Eventually my team won by a slight margin in points, but I got notification in the port that said "You were reported 1 time". Like why?

The second problem was the extremely limited number of fighters I could use. With only 9 charges in total (3 charges per squadron), and active for 1 minute each; it is just impossible to support the team throughout the battle should it be a long one. Superintendent skill does not help on that problem, either.

So how to use the fighters? I looked for the guide on Youtube, but they only work on paper. I mean they do if my teammates are smart enough to know the limits of my ability to support.

There are actually more problems that I would ask for the solutions, but save it on another thread.

[LBAS]
1,936 posts
3,668 battles

Welcome to the CV Bandwagon

Fighter is just cosmetics Item,

The purpose of it is to be sacrifical spotter or tanking enemy AA while you Bomb everyone. 

If necessary, it can be used to protect yourself.

Dropping fighter to cover allies is just waste time and useless since enemy just target someone else. 

The only moment maybe at early game to give DD a bit protection to get the cap.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,006 posts
13,334 battles

It is not the CV's job to provide AA support.

That is a carry over attitude from the pre-rework CVs which no longer works today.

Yes yes, I know, sounds weird, CV's are not supposed to provide air support like their real world counterparts did. That's WG "realism" for you.

Fighter consumables are near useless, unable to really fend off an air attack, and, as @Skarhabek says, should be used for spotting or AA tank while bombing.

That said, I have seen them used effectively to discourage enemy CV from bothering allied DD's while capping. Though this is more due to the enemy CV not wanting to risk their planes, or not being aware that the fighters are near useless. If a CV wants to attack the DD, they will attack the DD. But anything that makes them thin twice is worth it. So you could drop them near caps, both to discourage enemy CV from attacking allied DD, or discourage enemy DD from capping due to fear of being spotted.

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles

fighters are used only 2-3 ways effectively 

1, if you have a german CV on the enemy team and you have a radar teammate that's camping islands, you can use FTs to lockdown the side that's exposed for him by dropping NEXT TO HIM

2, if you want to keep enemy CV from going after a DD in the cap, you drop your FTs AHEAD of the cap, so it's going to take time for the enemy CV to get around it and reorient himself before being able to line up for a strike

3, drop them to spot the enemy team,  or on top of singular DDs to keep them spotted while you turn your planes around for a attack run, prob the most effective thing to do

most other ways to use FT are situatiinal

Edited by Drakon233
  • Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,216 posts
17,119 battles

Truth is CAP / AA Cover by fighter plain do not work. Neither do ship AA so there reason why so many call for AA , in real world a group of ship in AA formation had certainty to ward off most aerial attack but in the game even if in a group if the CV wants it it can and will go after the chosen target despite all.

Real world CAP follow the ship or fleet designated but in this game it's dropped and then the fighter just stay there and no less the fighter cover an area too small

In real world fighter exchange against bomber / Torp plane definitely way better than the 1:1  exchange ratio this game puts it.

All combined this made it pretty useless, a CAP that cover not enough an area, do not actively follow the designated protected target, do not actively seek to repel, do not give fighter exchange Vs bomber Torp planes ... one had to wonder if the guy making this actually ever get to read what CAP suppose to do.

To help surface ship AA you put your fighter ahead somewhat of your teammate at choke point where enemy plane need to get through, and better still force enemy to take a route that route them off.

Yes it's a tough call but do know the guy underneath is having to endure the bombing Torps and all and the AA on surface ships plain do not work. Anyone in that situation are likely not in a good mood.

119 posts
430 battles
59 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

1, if you have a german CV on the enemy team and you have a radar teammate that's camping islands, you can use FTs to lockdown the side that's exposed for him by dropping NEXT TO HIM

I have yet to encounter any German CV in those games. But I will keep this in mind.

1 hour ago, Drakon233 said:

2, if you want to keep enemy CV from going after a DD in the cap, you drop your FTs AHEAD of the cap, so it's going to take time for the enemy CV to get around it and reorient himself before being able to line up for a strike

This one seems tricky to do depending on bow braindead the friendly DDs are. But I will try.

3, drop them to spot the enemy team,  or on top of singular DDs to keep them spotted while you turn your planes around for a attack run, prob the most effective thing to do

Wouldn't this actually decrease my chances to give AA cover though?

And Iirc, fighters are actually the most vulnerable plane in the game (easiest to shoot down). I mean the chance where my teammates would ignore it until the fighters are shot down is fairly high. I have seen the battles where the CV had to drop their fighters twice on top of the same enemy DD because they were very late to shoot it.

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles

You can't fix the other's stupidity. Especially during this season.

Funnily enough, you actually have high PR in your Ranger stats. The only low one is plane shot down. So I suppose you have no trouble in dishing out damage.

[MRI]
3,683 posts
15,985 battles

I am a bit busy right now so I am just dropping in to say that this:

3 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

The purpose of it is to be sacrifical spotter or tanking enemy AA while you Bomb everyone. 

Is a myth and does not actually work.

Each squadron takes full damage from any AA aura. There is no AA tanking or spreading out of AA damage.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Aircraft_Fire

Edited by Thyaliad

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Helena said:

like i said, FT coverage works very little in it's current state, there's not much that FTs can do unless you're popping it over a stationary target and the enemy is coming at him with more or less full squad

it's much much more effective as a spotting tool than it is a defensive tool, which might not be how WG intended it to be but it's certainly how it is in game 

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Helena said:

like i said, FT coverage works very little in it's current state, there's not much that FTs can do unless you're popping it over a stationary target and the enemy is coming at him with more or less full squad

it's much much more effective as a spotting tool than it is a defensive tool, which might not be how WG intended it to be but it's certainly how it is in game 

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,820 posts
21,559 battles

If I am in a DD and I rush an early cap and the CV drops a fighter ahead of me on the cap and then flies on to spot radar ships so I can monitor their location then I feel I have received "AA support".

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles
4 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

If I am in a DD and I rush an early cap and the CV drops a fighter ahead of me on the cap and then flies on to spot radar ships so I can monitor their location then I feel I have received "AA support".

support in general, we have a saying in Chinese, "if you want to save one city, go sack the other city the invaders are from" 

if AA doesn't work anyways and there's other threats to the DD that doesn't come from the air, i'd rather deal with the surface ship effectively than to save the DD to no avail

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,820 posts
21,559 battles
1 minute ago, Drakon233 said:

support in general, we have a saying in Chinese, "if you want to save one city, go sack the other city the invaders are from" 

if AA doesn't work anyways and there's other threats to the DD that doesn't come from the air, i'd rather deal with the surface ship effectively than to save the DD to no avail

I guess if I see the CV trying to support me, I try to take advantage of it because I am grateful when I see it!

But yeah, I hope the CV player attacks the right target no matter what.

Otherwise, as I prefer US and Ikean DDs, I'll shoot down my own planes 😛

It's rare that by choice a CV will focus me in a DD, once they see my AA turned off til last minute and watch me "just dodge".

How the new concealment rules and AA ramping up will affect my avoidance tactics remains to be seen.

(I find I get focused more by planes if I am trolling CVs in my Hill or Nicholas - CVs be mad at those AA lolibotes!)

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
56 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

This is it...

Fighters are invaluable spotting tools. Particularly at higher tiers uou are either dropping them outside enemy AA to give your team a spotting/shooting advantage or you are dropping them on an enemy DD to keep him lit whioe you make another pass.

Yes you can use them as a deterrence but honestly, if the enemy CV really wants to, they'll strike through it.

Some CV players out there will just farm damage, then good ones go for the win, targeting keyy ships.

Usually this is DDs, but sometimes it's a holed up defensive ship or the key ship on an enemy push.

In all circumstances, allowing your allies to spot the enemy when they are abusing concealment or terrain.

The trick to using the fighter to spot is placing it so it effective spots for a decent duration.

Sometimes that means placing on top of a mountain to provide some sporadic cover but ideally you want to place it just outside the enemies AA range, usually at 6-8km depending on the enemy ships.

I'm not a huge fan of the way which fighters are used now but thems the facts.

WG is trying to change this in the upcoming skills rework but I can't see their attempt working, they don't seem to understand the current situation well enough.

[TLS]
4,368 posts
20,667 battles

As Mongols, I just sack both cities and burn them to the ground, leaving a pile of skulls of men, women, children, cats, and dogs.

• Funny 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,820 posts
21,559 battles
9 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

As Mongols, I just sack both cities and burn them to the ground, leaving a pile of skulls of men, women, children, cats, and dogs.

YOU BRUTAL SAVAGE!

Poor kitties.

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles
11 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

what? why?

keep the bodies to trebuchet into enemy cities, more epidemics are always fun

• Funny 1

[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,817 posts
14,231 battles

you can do it!

r3k66RNs59Usb0y21QFoY5ZuWA-LvRM1ug3kcnqQS2s.thumb.jpg.7182cb4de1f539050144cc235ea52965.jpg

• Funny 4

[KAMI]
5 posts
3,744 battles

Wait, so it's not me who's in the wrong when the friendly bb by his lonesome is screaming for fighter cover in boxes and I ignore him? O.o

[LBAS]
1,936 posts
3,668 battles
4 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

I am a bit busy right now so I am just dropping in to say that this:

Is a myth and does not actually work.

Each squadron takes full damage from any AA aura. There is no AA tanking or spreading out of AA damage.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Anti-Aircraft_Fire

How about the flak? Did ship did fire Twice?

And WG never told us every mechanic like sigma, sometimes bug exist... Or intended.

How about real test video?

[MRI]
3,683 posts
15,985 battles
3 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

How about the flak? Did ship did fire Twice? 

And WG never told us every mechanic like sigma, sometimes bug exist... Or intended.

How about real test video?

It is stated right there in that wows wiki page I linked to. And also in this video:

Yes I know it is old and a lot of things are outdated. But as far as I know that mechanic hasn't changed. AA will deal full damage to a squadron regardless of how many squadrons there are in the ship's AA. But if f you have any evidence to show that the mechanic has changed then please post it.

I am not sure about flak, but from my testing in the training room it doesn't seem to have any effect. Flak will still spawn around your squadron, regardless if you deployed a fighter or not. If there are multiple attacking squadrons (such as in double CV games), flak will spawn for each squadron.

Some screenshots from my Training Room testing (expand the pictures to see the damage numbers clearer). It's very long so I put in in spoilers..

Spoiler

shot-20_12.30_22_57.01-0990.thumb.jpg.d2697f0ed138a45f819262c89441fedc.jpg

I am doing damage to all 3 squadrons at once. Note that the furthest squadron takes 237 damage in that tick.

shot-20_12.30_22_57.40-0333.thumb.jpg.719626461377f3cc1766a6cf9c002e74.jpg

Only 2 squadrons attacking this time, but my long-range AA is still only doing 237 damage per tick, albeit to both of them. The number fluctuates, but 237 damage per tick seems to be the baseline for my Smolensk's long-range AA. Also you can see flak attacking both squadrons.

Those are tests with multiple CVs. But how about a single CV with their fighter squadrons?

shot-20_12.30_22_20.59-0606.thumb.jpg.26d6856191b59b17940e4f59c237984b.jpg

I am attacking 3 squadrons here simultaneously - the CAP fighters, the DB squadron and the landing DBs - doing 80 per tick to all of them. The number fluctuates, but my Grozovoi seems to deal 80-100 damage per tick for its long-range AA.

shot-20_12.30_22_21_21-0509.thumb.jpg.513aec89972c643df0904bf6f530eab9.jpg

Only 1 squadron, but doing 100 damage.

shot-20_12.30_22_23.00-0809.thumb.jpg.52e664a8253ded20a7156dee62f1863b.jpg

One squadron plus CAP fighters, doing 100 damage to both.

Next is from the CV perspective. For this test, I shall attempt to fly down the centre line of the minimap and time how long it takes for the enemy CV to shoot down my squadron. I am using torpedo bombers and will start the clock moment the AA fire icon appears. I will also start an attack run to minimise the interference of flak (since torpedo bombers are not affected by flak once they are at their lowest point).

shot-20_12.31_00_04.43-0367.thumb.jpg.cc346fb56694b3b2bece867d4648f424.jpg)

I take the screenshot the moment the AA fire indicator appears. For this test, there will be no fighters deployed.

shot-20_12.31_00_04.59-0794.thumb.jpg.d60174068949ef9148c77544bdefc147.jpg

Squadron shot down. Took about 16s with no fighters.

shot-20_12.31_00_06.59-0353.thumb.jpg.541452576c8ad4283dfffc2e59875586.jpg

Next test but this time fighters will be deployed.

shot-20_12.31_00_07.13-0429.thumb.jpg.5cbf8f565d5d01a31fdcb952124817f1.jpg

Test ended. With fighters took about 13s.

Will do another test with fighters to confirm the results.

shot-20_12.31_00_08.11-0268.thumb.jpg.a67779db6cdc7748eff6735f9b248fc2.jpg

Screwed up a bit here. Actually took the screenshot too late. I had already started my attack run.

shot-20_12.31_00_08.25-0631.thumb.jpg.979c2cbe2ce71aa1daf70fe240ceb505.jpg

I screwed up again and actually deployed my fighters late. Despite this, my squadron travelled the furthest before getting shot down and reached the map border. If anything it should have been shot down earlier since I deployed the fighters late.

From what I can see, the fighters had negligible effect. What mattered the most was whether flak RNG was able to clip my torpedo bombers on the way down to the lowest level.

So based on what I have tested, deploying fighters to tank AA does not work.

Also apologies for derailing this thread a bit.

[MRI]
3,683 posts
15,985 battles
13 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Summary: I have finally got Ranger. But my experience with her so far is how tedious & frustrating it is to play the supposedly "easy to play" class.

The first problem I encountered was the multiple requests for AA support. I have only played Ranger twice so far, both as the only CV in the team, and both as bottom tier. The main problem is that I can never support everyone simultaneously.

Example (this actually happened in one of the battles), I dropped my fighter on the Shiratsuyu because the enemy squadron was heading to her position. But then the enemy squadron decided to ignore the Shiratsuyu, and headed to the Gaede on the other flank instead. And because my current squadron could not drop another fighter to support the Gaede due to the cooldown on the fighter, I had to withdraw the squadron, and deploy a different one. But I failed to reach the Gaede in time, and the Gaede began to blame me for not supporting him. Eventually my team won by a slight margin in points, but I got notification in the port that said "You were reported 1 time". Like why?

Well after the CV rework, it is no longer the primary function of the CV to provide air cover. CV fighters can plug weak points in your team's AA defence net, but the onus of AA defence still falls primarily on the surface ships. If your team doesn't want to cooperate and share AA, there is really not much you as a CV can do.

Rather than try to protect everybody, protect those who deserve the fighter cover. An AA blob doesn't need fighter cover. Neither does the overextending DD who is going to get radar'ed and killed, or the yolo'ing BB who is getting focused down. Instead protect key allies, like the DD who is trying to cap but being harassed by planes, the radar cruiser who is preventing the enemy DDs from capping, or the BB who is trying to retreat and heal up.

But even so, don't get too caught up trying to defend allies.

Fighters have 3 main functions.

1) Spotting

2) Deterrence

3) Limiting the strikes the enemy CV can do (whether by shooting down planes or forcing them to pre-drop).

Spotting is the most useful function out of the 3. The other 2 only works if the enemy CV is coming in with full or nearly full squadrons. And even then it may not be able to shoot the enemy planes down, depending on the CVs involved and if the enemy CV is smart about it.

For instance, German (especially) and UK fighters are pretty slow, so fast planes like the Japanese or German bombers can easily outrun them with speed boost. With Japanese of German torpedo bombers, It is possible to speed boost into an attack run, attack, and speed boost out while dumping the excess torps into the water. Fighters will give chase, but they will not attack planes that have already dropped their ordnance. So if you can dump all the excess ordnance before the fighters can catch you, you can end up losing 0 planes to the fighters.

14 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

The second problem was the extremely limited number of fighters I could use. With only 9 charges in total (3 charges per squadron), and active for 1 minute each; it is just impossible to support the team throughout the battle should it be a long one. Superintendent skill does not help on that problem, either.

So how to use the fighters? I looked for the guide on Youtube, but they only work on paper. I mean they do if my teammates are smart enough to know the limits of my ability to support. 

There are actually more problems that I would ask for the solutions, but save it on another thread. 

Ranger is Tier 6, so there is good news and bad news.

The bad news is fighters are really lousy at that tier. There are too few fighter planes to make a big dent in an attacking squadron, and plane regeneration is fast enough to compensate for those losses. Fighters get a bit more useful at defending in the higher tiers since you get more of them and the plane regeneration of the high tier CVs is a bit slower, plus  AA in general is more lethal so the combination of all those means plane losses tend to stick.

The good news is you can focus on attacking and dealing damage, since bad fighter usage isn't very punishing at this tier.

So don't sweat it. The core of CV gameplay is to strike key enemies or targets of opportunity, as well as some spotting support.. AA defence is secondary, and if your team plays well they wouldn't need it often. If you do need to defend your team, only defend those really deserve defending. Don't go out of your way to protect a useless teammate, you are far more useful to the team by doing damage and spotting.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
1,936 posts
3,668 battles
7 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

It is stated right there in that wows wiki page I linked to. And also in this video:

Yes I know it is old and a lot of things are outdated. But as far as I know that mechanic hasn't changed. AA will deal full damage to a squadron regardless of how many squadrons there are in the ship's AA. But if f you have any evidence to show that the mechanic has changed then please post it.

I am not sure about flak, but from my testing in the training room it doesn't seem to have any effect. Flak will still spawn around your squadron, regardless if you deployed a fighter or not. If there are multiple attacking squadrons (such as in double CV games), flak will spawn for each squadron.

Some screenshots from my Training Room testing (expand the pictures to see the damage numbers clearer). It's very long so I put in in spoilers..

Reveal hidden contents

shot-20_12.30_22_57.01-0990.thumb.jpg.d2697f0ed138a45f819262c89441fedc.jpg

I am doing damage to all 3 squadrons at once. Note that the furthest squadron takes 237 damage in that tick.

shot-20_12.30_22_57.40-0333.thumb.jpg.719626461377f3cc1766a6cf9c002e74.jpg

Only 2 squadrons attacking this time, but my long-range AA is still only doing 237 damage per tick, albeit to both of them. The number fluctuates, but 237 damage per tick seems to be the baseline for my Smolensk's long-range AA. Also you can see flak attacking both squadrons.

Those are tests with multiple CVs. But how about a single CV with their fighter squadrons?

shot-20_12.30_22_20.59-0606.thumb.jpg.26d6856191b59b17940e4f59c237984b.jpg

I am attacking 3 squadrons here simultaneously - the CAP fighters, the DB squadron and the landing DBs - doing 80 per tick to all of them. The number fluctuates, but my Grozovoi seems to deal 80-100 damage per tick for its long-range AA.

shot-20_12.30_22_21_21-0509.thumb.jpg.513aec89972c643df0904bf6f530eab9.jpg

Only 1 squadron, but doing 100 damage.

shot-20_12.30_22_23.00-0809.thumb.jpg.52e664a8253ded20a7156dee62f1863b.jpg

One squadron plus CAP fighters, doing 100 damage to both.

Next is from the CV perspective. For this test, I shall attempt to fly down the centre line of the minimap and time how long it takes for the enemy CV to shoot down my squadron. I am using torpedo bombers and will start the clock moment the AA fire icon appears. I will also start an attack run to minimise the interference of flak (since torpedo bombers are not affected by flak once they are at their lowest point).

shot-20_12.31_00_04.43-0367.thumb.jpg.cc346fb56694b3b2bece867d4648f424.jpg)

I take the screenshot the moment the AA fire indicator appears. For this test, there will be no fighters deployed.

shot-20_12.31_00_04.59-0794.thumb.jpg.d60174068949ef9148c77544bdefc147.jpg

Squadron shot down. Took about 16s with no fighters.

shot-20_12.31_00_06.59-0353.thumb.jpg.541452576c8ad4283dfffc2e59875586.jpg

Next test but this time fighters will be deployed.

shot-20_12.31_00_07.13-0429.thumb.jpg.5cbf8f565d5d01a31fdcb952124817f1.jpg

Test ended. With fighters took about 13s.

Will do another test with fighters to confirm the results.

shot-20_12.31_00_08.11-0268.thumb.jpg.a67779db6cdc7748eff6735f9b248fc2.jpg

Screwed up a bit here. Actually took the screenshot too late. I had already started my attack run.

shot-20_12.31_00_08.25-0631.thumb.jpg.979c2cbe2ce71aa1daf70fe240ceb505.jpg

I screwed up again and actually deployed my fighters late. Despite this, my squadron travelled the furthest before getting shot down and reached the map border. If anything it should have been shot down earlier since I deployed the fighters late.

From what I can see, the fighters had negligible effect. What mattered the most was whether flak RNG was able to clip my torpedo bombers on the way down to the lowest level.

So based on what I have tested, deploying fighters to tank AA does not work.

Also apologies for derailing this thread a bit.

no it wasnt derailing, its good info anyway

here is a thread Derailer :

i am spend 30K Orundum and not getting W on this anniversary banner. damn sheeeeeet, why the heck i am got 3x Weedy -_-

learn from Nian banner, not gonna gambling this time

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles

Well the main problem is that a lot of players still have the same old mentality from 2018 regarding to AA support(or everything about CV in particular). And of course, the majority of these players have yet to play the current CV. There is literally nothing you can do about them, aside from telling them how it works now.

As for the report after the battle, that's actually nothing. Recently I've got  muted from the game chat for 2 days because a dummy managed to bait me into calling him out for his "tier 2 idiocy" in Ranked. I was indeed very harsh at him, but that didn't paint his idiocy any better. How could a flipping Kitakaze get nuked by perfect drop of torp bombers from Midway? It was during qualification, and I only needed 1 more win to reach the Silver League. So yeah the salt accumulated throughout the year were poured onto him on that day.

So no, going up the tiers won't make your CV experience any better. Take your time with Ranger (or any other lower tier CVs).

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this