You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DobbyM8

What Mods are you Currently Using? - DobbyM8

17 comments in this topic

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
32 posts
3,204 battles

Gday everyone,

Just wondering what mods you're currently running from mod-station and the Pro's and Con's of each.

Currently I am using:

Ship Icons-
Adjustable Panels
Mods of Combat Interface-
BattleClock
Score Timer
Team HP
Navigator Big
Port-
Stingy By Default
Extended MiniCarousel
All ships in Tree
Session Stats
Other Mods-
Remove Fog, Glare and Calm Sea

Interested to see what the current meta is and if people simply choose to play the game as is.

Cheers,

Dobby

[LYNMA]
Beta Tester
1,870 posts
6,120 battles

I hate mods.

Even some ppl around knows im against it.

• Haha 1

[REPOI]
6,724 posts
27,077 battles

MMR, ship health indicator for sidebar, tech tree expander

that's it

it's a lot of info for free and I don't feel like I'm getting a unfair advantage

Edited by Drakon233

[FORCE]
Modder
2,680 posts
12,931 battles

I don't use Modstation. I used to, but it has been a long while since the last time I used it.

But I used to have:

1. The crosshair mod (I forgot the name)
  2. The ship HP on sidebar (it restricted my field of view significantly since I have small screen).
  3. The camo/ship skin mods (my toaster PC can't run the game without crashing when I used them, so I removed them).
Edited by Reinhard_of_Avercland

[TF44]
199 posts
1,510 battles

Only use,

Session Stats (not that I check it very often)

Female Commanders mod

Score Timer

HP with Nickname for the info markers on the ships

and Secondary Armament so I can see the damage my AAA has taken.

119 posts
430 battles

I use the Alsace skin, and the no splash on water.

Although what annoys me the most is that the Modstation will always do fresh install whenever I update it, which also deletes the standalone voice mods. I know it does that for the sake of keeping it clean, but still....

1 hour ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

I don't use Modstation. I used to, but it has been a long while since the last time I used it.

But, but.... you're a modder!

[151ST]
3,005 posts
11,080 battles

Bold I strongly recommend all players get and I honestly wish that WG would implement in game as it's just good UX.

Otherwise I'm always hungry for data so I have a LOT of mods on by default. Most of them I don't need anymore but found them useful early on. Now most of it I kind of know anyways

1. Gold Premium Ship Icons
  2. Various Side Panels (currently running by AutoSpy, but often run by BADoBEST v1). I always go for HP bars for each ship, invaluable tool.
  3. Clan icons (for Asia obviously) I recommend most clans get on this, it makes it easier to recognise friends. I use it to spot AN-DO and 1AN for example...
  4. Team HP Bars because having a massive ship advantage means nothing if they each have 2k HP.
  5. Dynamic Crosshairs; crosshair by Nomogram - Turquise with spider web. This is the one mod I would recommend all players get, fixes the horrible WG dynamic crosshair and gives you a spider web as well for angling.
  6. Over Target Markers by BADoBEST - HP+Nick. Makes it easy to see ship type, name and HP all as standard.
  7. Minimap by AutoSpy - I prefer the appearance of this over WGs standard one, allows customisation I love. I can also turn on smoke-firing range which is useful.
  8. Tech-Tree by Arnak - displays all ships in the game, rather than hiding any. Useful for looking at armour schemes of ships for comparisons.
  9. Camo Info mxCamo - allows you to see benefits of each camo in the camo icon, useful for those of us with ALL the camos.
  10. Server population, Karma info, session stats - just information I like.
  11. Carousel extended - allows you to see what exterior and upgrades you have on each ship without going into the actual screen. Also allows some basic functionality for it too.
  12. Navigator. Shows the angle of the enemy ship in relation to yours. WoWS engine or maybe it's just an optical illusion but it shows ships angles wrong when looking down the binos, this provides absolute data you can use - their angle.
  13. Smoke Indicator - easy to see smoke timer
  14. Remove unwanted texts from map - removes autopilot control text. I know how to use it and I should just be able to turn this off...
  15. Info Panel (self) and (enemy), gives basic info on yourself and your enemy.
  16. Secondary Armament Status - gives you information on Secondary/AA module status (instead of needing 'H').
  17. Score Timer. This should be on by default, tells you how long left for the cap ticks, etc.
  18. Shot Timer, Radar Timer - saves me counting (which I used to do prior to finding it) I still often post in chat '____ radar ####' where ___ is the ship and #### is the time on the game timer, allows everyone to know when ____ used their radar and when it'll be ready to go.
  19. Improved Chat by BADoBEST. Comes with Chat Censorship Remover basically provides more information when someone says something or uses a radio command, what the player name is, what ship they're in.
  20. Matchmaking Monitor. I use this to quickly glance to see what ships on my team I can probably rely upon and sometimes to see how my own stats are in a particular ship. It's the same as seeing known clans or whatevs. If I see one of the REPOI folks for example I know that they'll know how to play and thus I can count on then playing to their role and doing things like focus fire. This in turn allows me to play more assertively (which is what I enjoy the most). It's also useful in that if someone has 300 battles/40% I know they probably aren't going to land their shells if I need their help.

As I said, I like information and I love mods.

Unfortunately some of these interfere with recording replays so I record most of my replays with the mods stripped out. This is a tad annoying as it means I play without mods when I'm on my Laptop.

If there was one mod that I wish I could just always have on, it's #5. Nomograms reticule.

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
32 posts
3,204 battles
2 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Bold I strongly recommend all players get and I honestly wish that WG would implement in game as it's just good UX.

Otherwise I'm always hungry for data so I have a LOT of mods on by default. Most of them I don't need anymore but found them useful early on. Now most of it I kind of know anyways

1. Navigator. Shows the angle of the enemy ship in relation to yours. WoWS engine or maybe it's just an optical illusion but it shows ships angles wrong when looking down the binos, this provides absolute data you can use - their angle.
  2. Improved Chat by BADoBEST. Comes with Chat Censorship Remover basically provides more information when someone says something or uses a radio command, what the player name is, what ship they're in.

If there was one mod that I wish I could just always have on, it's #5. Nomograms reticule.

Biggest three I would also recommend are the nomogram classic Dynamic Cross-hair, the score timer for Situational Awareness and Navigator big for angles of ships etc.

Big props!

• Cool 2

[FORCE]
Modder
2,680 posts
12,931 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

But, but.... you're a modder!

Well.... that doesn't necessarily mean I have to use it.

Moreover, I have yet to receive any invitation to work on it. I'm not saying I would accept the invitation, either. I only work on the mods during my spare time. And for most of the time, I only make sure that they work with the current patch.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles

The fairly helpful Tech Tree Expanded mod, Nomogram crosshair because the in-game dynamic sucks, and some nice ribbons

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,402 posts
11,339 battles

Mods are all about presenting the information that the game gives you in a way that you can absorb it as efficiently as possible. 

Situational awareness is the key to success in gaming, and your brain can only hold about 5-7 things in your working memory at one time.  Any more than this and you become task saturated, and that means you start dropping data from your working memory, and sometimes that data can be important.  Have you ever been in a situation where you thought "how did I not notice that?"  This is often due to that particular item being dropped from your working memory due to task saturation.

You can think of working memory a bit like RAM in a computer, because it works in a very similar way.

Mods help reduce the chance of becoming task saturated, by either removing unimportant or less important info, or presenting important info in a form that your brain is better able to process.  You also want to present the more important info closer to the centre of your screen - your eyes and brain should have a regular scan path where they continually update your brain on info, and you want that eye path to be as short as possible.  If you have to check all over your screen for different info that you need regularly, then that will take much longer than a more efficient eye path, and that will reduce your awareness.  Your regularly checked info should be the centre area of your screen for your target, the details of your ship like armament status, health bar, rudder and engine position, ship indicator, and of course the most important thing on your screen, the minimap.  I'll generally do this scan every few seconds, and the less time it takes the more awareness you will have.

So in this vein, here are the mods I like to use in battle, in no particular order:

• Side panels (badobest v2) - these are far better than the standard side panels, as they give all the important info while removing all the unimportant info.
  • Score timer - extremely important for those late game decisions as to what your actions need to be to win the game.  No more guessing which team is going to be ahead if nothing changes.
  • Detection icons (coloured icons) - the standard detection icons are crap, they are too small and all look pretty similar.  The amount of time it takes your brain to ascertain the required information from the modded detection icons is far less than the amount of time it takes for the standard icons.
  • Custom shell and tracer colours (blackskull) - this makes it much easier to instantly ascertain the shell type being used, while also not being hideous to look at.  Once again, this will reduce the working memory required for this task.
  • Move GUI elements #2 - this moves your ship health bar, compass rose, and rudder/engine indicators to the bottom centre of the screen - an absolutely essential mod to make your scan more efficient!
  • Secondary armament status - tells you how much of your AA is remaining.
  • Radar timer - combine this with the radar duration of each radar ship (that you've already memorised - you have memorised this haven't you?!) to work out the exact duration remaining of any radar you're currently being detected by.
  • Regen Assistant - tells me exactly when I hit heal capacity so I can use the heals most efficiently.
  • Mermaid's Wrath - female crew voice - this is obviously not an essential mod to your awareness, but it is an essential mod to your enjoyment of the game!  Well it is to me anyway.  The best mod in the game, hands down, I love this thing.  Thanks Chobittsu, you make my warships experience better every single day!

I also use some port mods, like all ships in tech tree, camo info, ship win rate, carousel extended, and the port zoom out mod.  Just use the port zoom out mod, you won't regret it.

I think everyone should use mods, they add so much to the game, it would feel like I was only playing half the game without mods.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,029 posts
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I think everyone should use mods, they add so much to the game, it would feel like I was only playing half the game without mods.

Actually, I think the game is fine without them.

It looks like I'm not alone in thinking that either.......

• Cool 1

[-CAT-]
2,788 posts
12,360 battles

None.

But, if there is one mod that I want to be implemented in the game by WG, its Nomogram Crosshair.

Edited by S0und_Theif