Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Strasbourg

13 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles

It's a mini Jean Bart.

It is similar to, but not quite as good as - or as fun as - Sharnhorst. But still good, and still fun.

Same kind of battlecruiser attributes: lightish, slightly wonky guns with fast reload, modest armor. You get the reload booster gimmick instead of the torp gimmick.

The main difference is the turret arrangement, being able to send 8 shells over the bow has it's advantages and tends to dictate the playstyle, as anyone familiar with Dunkerque, Richelieu, or JB will know well. Personally I find the more common 6+3 arrangement to be more generally useful.

As reward ships go, and given its a historical ship (though just a Dunkerque really), it's pretty good I think. Visually attractive, with a nice camo especially the alternate color.

[I bought the ship to get through the missions, and get doubloon compensation later]

Screenshot (213).png

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-CAT-]
2,788 posts
12,360 battles

Also notice the trend.
Regular ship -> MBRB ship (+1 tier)

Richelieu -> Jean Bart

Alsace -> Burgogne

Dunkerque -> Strasbourg

Imagine

De Grasse -> Chateaurenault

Gascogne -> ???

Champaign -> ???

Flandre -> ???

Lyon class with ABXY configuration

Tourville -> Lille

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,004 posts
11,069 battles

Completely concur with you @Rina_Pon...

She's like a mini JB.

I thoroughly enjoy playing her but there are many better T7 BBs as best I can tell after a few games, time will tell.

IDK, I just love being able to punish broadsides and 1 salvo can always troll you, 2-3 is another story though.

[FORCE]
Modder
2,680 posts
12,931 battles
2 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Richelieu -> Jean Bart

Jean Bart gets a heck lot more AA too. I mean if I were in CV, attacking Jean Bart is the worse option unless it's on the late game where her AA should have been neutered enough. Richelieu on the other hand, is easier to bully even with T6 CVs.

Jean Bart also has the spaced armor, but vertically. Which makes her much harder to nuke with AP bombs. Richelieu doesn't have that.

And of course Jean Bart's base reload is also faster at 26 s, Richelieu has to suck it up with 30 s.

That's why Jean Bart got popular, too many upgrades over Richelieu. And also my reason to never actually grind past Normandie, the exactly same why I never grind past Fuso.

16 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Alsace -> Burgogne

Alsace ended up being nerfed though, sigma & reload. Just like Jean Bart, Bourgogne enjoys faster reload.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder
2,680 posts
12,931 battles

Back to the topic, I think turret arrangement is a death trap. Just because all turrets are on the front, you are not supposed to bow tank. I mean all T7 BBs' bow can get overmatched by the 406 mm & higher. Jean Bart seems to work because her bow is 32 mm thick, which makes her immune of being overmatched against anything other than Musashi, Yamato, and Shikishima.

Nelson also has all-front turret arrangement, but most experts suggest to not bow tank with her.

• Cool 2

[SMOKE]
2,218 posts
17,119 battles

well bow tanking is OK provided you know when to just bow tank , when to angle ,and when to avoid .  Playing these French BB is like playing a big big Cruiser more than playing a BB , you should not expect its 380 to be matching the peers 406+ and neither should you expect it to tank like the other BB , but provide you keep the distance or use the geography its perfectly fine, they are however very bad at kitting when situation demand or when you need to reel back , retreat or plain just needing the maneuvering , the limitation of the all fore turrets arrangement do shows and that is why Alsace do had its own fan club .

I like the French BB, they are fun to play

[-CAT-]
2,788 posts
12,360 battles
46 minutes ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

Jean Bart gets a heck lot more AA too. I mean if I were in CV, attacking Jean Bart is the worse option unless it's on the late game where her AA should have been neutered enough. Richelieu on the other hand, is easier to bully even with T6 CVs.

Jean Bart also has the spaced armor, but vertically. Which makes her much harder to nuke with AP bombs. Richelieu doesn't have that.

And of course Jean Bart's base reload is also faster at 26 s, Richelieu has to suck it up with 30 s.

That's why Jean Bart got popular, too many upgrades over Richelieu. And also my reason to never actually grind past Normandie, the exactly same why I never grind past Fuso.

Alsace ended up being nerfed though, sigma & reload. Just like Jean Bart, Bourgogne enjoys faster reload.

I forgot about those.

JB unusual features and if the BB gets uptiered, they also get uptiered AA.

100 mm / 45 on T8
100 mm / 55 on T9
127 mm / 55 on T10

37 mm or 40 mm on T8
57 mm on T9 and T10

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles
13 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

Back to the topic, I think turret arrangement is a death trap. Just because all turrets are on the front, you are not supposed to bow tank.

It encourages a degree of aggressiveness, I agree. Remember though, you can kite with this arrangement, leaning in to unmask your guns just as you would with any BB. It's just you can't fire directly backwards.

The turret arrangement is ideal for protecting key choke points, you just have to do it from a spot that the enemy will have trouble firing on. I find I do a lot of creeping around islands in these French battleships.

In any event, it's very different playstyle from broadside battleships like Nagato and Amagi, where it's much more about open water and using distance for defense.

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,402 posts
11,339 battles

Having all the guns at the front doesn't force you to bow tank - players choose to bow tank. If you make that choice in a French BB you are generally playing somewhere between sub-optimally and terribly. 

This ship should be played like any French BB. You keep mobile, manoeuvre to avoid damage, work the angles to get flanking shots, and play generally from mid-range. 

• Cool 2

5,169 posts
9,121 battles

I lack experience in Richie, but because of my recent foray into Narai, I can say that Strasbourg is good for Narai :Smile_trollface: The new Scharny.

Little Trouble? No Trouble!

[FORCE]
Modder
2,680 posts
12,931 battles
5 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

Having all the guns at the front doesn't force you to bow tank - players choose to bow tank. If you make that choice in a French BB you are generally playing somewhere between sub-optimally and terribly. 

Jean Bart B players in a nutshell.... (not all, but a lot of them)

I expect to see a lot of bow tanking Strasbourg soon.

44 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

It encourages a degree of aggressiveness, I agree. Remember though, you can kite with this arrangement, leaning in to unmask your guns just as you would with any BB. It's just you can't fire directly backwards.

The turret arrangement is ideal for protecting key choke points, you just have to do it from a spot that the enemy will have trouble firing on. I find I do a lot of creeping around islands in these French battleships.

In any event, it's very different playstyle from broadside battleships like Nagato and Amagi, where it's much more about open water and using distance for defense.

Yup. Strasbourg and any other BBs with this turret arrangement are not designed to bow tank like the Soviet BBs. While they can't fire directly backwards, the experienced players will now how to minimize the impact of this weakness.

I'm not saying Strasbourg is bad. She is another ship with fancy gimmicks that don't make her to be OP, much like Jean Bart is.

[LBAS]
5,100 posts
11,359 battles
On 12/27/2020 at 6:09 PM, S0und_Theif said:

Also notice the trend.
Regular ship -> MBRB ship (+1 tier)

Richelieu -> Jean Bart

Alsace -> Burgogne

Dunkerque -> Strasbourg

Imagine

De Grasse -> Chateaurenault

Gascogne -> ???

Champaign -> ???

Flandre -> ???

Lyon class with ABXY configuration

Tourville -> Lille

Republic,Gascogne > Sppe with out aft torps

[CLAY]
3,009 posts
13,344 battles

I’ll be happy to get her, and then use her almost exclusively in Narai. With my other 4 T7 premium BBs.

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this