Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Earl_of_Arland

Discussion Time! Dunning-Kruger Effect 2.0 - Electric Boogaloo

15 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles

Hello everyone,

It's time. Earl's back to promote awareness of a rarely understood yet worrying thing, named Dunning-Kruger effect.

What's that?

Quoting Wikipedia:

Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from people's inability to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.

Quoting Dr. Gordon Freeman, a renowned scientist at Black Mesa Research facility:

While relatively common, studies shown that the effect (also known as Neufertian or Oshiri syndrome) has intangible presence on an online arcade game World of Warships which has the highest report, recording 1 out of 100 people to be diagnosed as showing signs of infection. The symptoms included impairment of physical and cognitive ability, overconfidence, dyslexia, and similar signs to alcohol intoxication or drug usage. This led to mumbled speech or stammer, increased agressiveness, and other indirect problems like societal shame or even exile. Not only that, study shown that this effect also seems related to performance in the Navy of World of Warships, where those diagnosed with the effect usually tends to be defeated and dying during course of battle. Not only this cost the life of the commander, it also taken the lives of the crew abroad and ship, which directly hampered combat capability of the navy and economic power of the nation.

With that out of the way, i hope this raise some insights on this serious matter.

Thoughts?

Edited by Earl_of_Arland
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[LBAS]
1,936 posts
3,668 battles

why i am feel dejavu

:cap_hmm:

9 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Hello everyone,

It's time. Earl's back to promote awareness of a rarely understood yet worrying thing, named Dunning-Kruger effect.

What's that?

Quoting Wikipedia:

Dunning-Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people with low ability at a task overestimate their ability. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from people's inability to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.

Quoting Dr. Gordon Freeman, a renowned scientist at Black Mesa Research facility:

While relatively common, studies shown that the effect (also known as Neufertian or Oshiri syndrome) has intangible presence on an online arcade game World of Warships which has the highest report, recording 1 out of 100 people to be diagnosed as showing signs of infection. The symptoms included impairment of physical and cognitive ability, overconfidence, dyslexia, and similar signs to alcohol intoxication or drug usage. This led to mumbled speech or stammer, increased agressiveness, and other indirect problems like societal shame or even exile. Not only that, study shown that this effect also seems related to performance in the Navy of World of Warships, where those diagnosed with the effect usually tends to be defeated and dying during course of battle. Not only this cost the life of the commander, it also taken the lives of the crew abroad and ship, which directly hampered combat capability of the navy and economic power of the nation.

With that out of the way, i hope this raise some insights on this serious matter.

Thoughts?

you forget to add graph

now its called Doughnut krieg effect, when you eat too much sweet  and cannt move....

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Is it.... contagious?

Or certain individuals are born with it?:cap_old:

My main source, Dr. Freeman, haven't responded yet, but i theorized that it is contagious. I have linked that there's an alarming correlation as it report highest shown in Reddit, with WoWs Forums the next. It is no coincidence that these place has the least precautionary against this effect, like improper fact checking and overall access.

Though some areas like the Social Wolves and Discord is perfectly accessible, yet very much safer. I think it's because people in this places has better immunity due to their average cognitive ability is better than a peanut.

[CLAY]
3,006 posts
13,334 battles

Bump.

Listen to the man, he knows what’s he’s talking about.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles
6 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Earl... I am your Father!

But my father is at the graveyard...

5,164 posts
9,111 battles

This isn't D-K E. This is attention-seeking, self-important, ego-stroking, grandeur-delusional behaviors.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
139 posts
17,135 battles
39 minutes ago, Tagnbag said:

this the guy?

Freddy Kruger.jpg

He must be one of the guys at least.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
692 posts
3,519 battles
19 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

This isn't D-K E. This is attention-seeking, self-important, ego-stroking, grandeur-delusional behaviors.

Which is part of the effect too.

Lack of self-competence lead to lack of self awareness, which resulted in ego and delusion

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
7 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

My main source, Dr. Freeman, haven't responded yet, but i theorized that it is contagious. I have linked that there's an alarming correlation as it report highest shown in Reddit, with WoWs Forums the next. It is no coincidence that these place has the least precautionary against this effect, like improper fact checking and overall access.

Though some areas like the Social Wolves and Discord is perfectly accessible, yet very much safer. I think it's because people in this places has better immunity due to their average cognitive ability is better than a peanut.

Big fan of his work... Although never really had the time to go past the introduction on his first work, not really my type of thing, I appreciate it from a quality stand point... I think I made it about half way through his second piece...

Was there any work on migratory patterns? I was seeing some interesting data that indicated that there was a random, one-off non-seasonal migration to the Americas in 2019 I think it was (or was it 2018? I get my years mixed up)...

Also I anecdotally have seen some some links to the rise in cases since the pandemic outbreak; do you think this is due to a link to the pandemic virus or more due to the environmental factors around it?

Edited by S4pp3R

[151ST]
Alpha Tester
52 posts
7,189 battles
11 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Which is part of the effect too.

Lack of self-competence lead to lack of self awareness, which resulted in ego and delusion

Lack of self-competence lead to lack of self awareness,

lack of self awareness leads to ego and delusion

Ego and Delusion leads to the Dark side..........

(bet you can't read that as a whole without at least thinking it in Yoda's voice...........anyhow proof that Earl is a Sith lord (or Earl??))

Edited by H_87A_2CU

[FISH]
166 posts
31,941 battles

What is this WG's dev recruitment circular? Looking for completely incompetent morons who think they are doing an amazing job? 

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,820 posts
21,559 battles
14 hours ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their level of competence.

71895707553fe449f4e5d1ededa22519.gif

• Cool 3

Sign in to follow this