Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
toxicsalt

The Purpose of Blacklisting - A General Guide on how to not.

3 comments in this topic

293 posts
6,481 battles

I've seen this pop up several times, including very recently where players fail to understand the point of the Blacklisting otherwise known as a Message Filtering system in the game.

The filtering system is NOT designed to stop players from playing with or playing against other players.

The system is designed to stop a player reciveving messges from players they have filtered (Blacklisted). It doesn't stop messages being sent, it just stops the reception.

It works the same as any form of filter, be it physical or digital. A fishing net for example, water goes through, large fish do not. Think of the balcklisted players messages as the fish. They will depart from somewhere but not make it to their destination because of the net.

Now the feature is useful when used appropriately. I myself have used it in the past to block messages from players who were either too salty, or too immature. One example was during a Co-op game, a player who lost their ship in the first few minutes exclaimed in chat that I was, to put it less crudely, 'Taking a Hipper up the Stern without consent'. Granted I was a little peoccupied dealing with a very angry Montana in my Zao that I failed to notice the Hipper coming up behind me. However not wanting to be distracted by their poor attempts at humour, I blacklisted the player that said it.

That is a perfectly good reason to filter someone.

However, blacklisting players in droves can be detrimental when they are trying to contact you about specific things, for example the entire right flank has disitergrated and they need your help to fill the gap. Even if they send a message, you won't be able to read it.

The same issue appears if a player wants to invite you to a Division or a Clan, they can send the invite but you can't read it.

In Co-op, this doesn't really matter as the chances of being overrun by the AI is negated by having an overall understanding of their attack pattern. However, in Random, Ranked, Clan or any special event where you are not facing AI enemies, blocking off communication with the team can be a terrible tactical move and will increase the chances of your team either losing or you being sunk early.

Edited by toxicsalt
  • Cool 3

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
4,818 posts
21,504 battles
33 minutes ago, toxicsalt said:

'Taking a Hipper up the Stern without consent'.

"Surprise Sternal"

Sign in to follow this