Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Verytis

I think Marksman is ok

4 comments in this topic

[KAMI]
486 posts
6,174 battles

Note: Yes I know its slightly old news now, but I just didn't bother previously, and I had more time to think over it.

Note: This doesn't mean I think the rest of the rework is anywhere near ready. It isn't. Also there is Russian bias showing in the last revision.

Yes, BBs will be more accurate at long range. This lets them better project firepower and do more dmg on average at range.

Some might think this will push BBs to keeping at long ranges, but I doubt this is the case.

• Most proper players already know to keep their enemy out of concealment range, or otherwise have cover access. If they don't, they're ideal HE spam targets, but thats another topic for another day.
  • If you want to be useful, you want to be closer, assuming it isn't too hot.
  • Your accuracy will still be better when close-up. The exception area is about 1km range, where your accuracy is actually a bit worse. You're too close to get the marksman buff, but too far for the innate accuracy of being closer. Thats not too bad, you're either commited, or not commiting.

It just means:

• bad players can do slightly better. Assuming they got a good aim.
  • Good players will get better use out of their range, like shooting across to an opposite flank. Which is currently unreliable, even if the target was a BB. (Unless you're a Slava maybe?)
  • Cruisers players should already know not to rely heavily on their armour, and focus more on speed and rudder shift. Tier X has always been the exception where armour was effective, until the introduction of 457mm came. Lower tier cruisers have always been overmatched. Its not fun being in a T9 CA getting matched with a Montana, its brutal. That said, I'm not opposed to rudder/acceleration buffs.
Edited by Verytis
  • Thanks 1

[SMOKE]
2,185 posts
17,087 battles

On the other hand , there foster the range out issue, many Cruisers simply can no longer even hit anything since their gun do not shoot that far out, and even less for CL, DD. There is good reason why Super Cruiser reign high on the roster count ... its of course fine for the big guns player, what's not fine is how the game cannot allow the other player to had their play when the game simply range far and range out. They are not to go forth ( cause as you've stated, you got over matched ). IMHO the Marksman and the HE spamming goes hand in hand, when brawls and closing in signal almost certain death , players will keep their distance and when that happen , they will choose to find that one method that work. That in turn become a self fulfilling spiral of ever ranging out and yet larger more powerful guns asked for , and for cruiser even more HE spamming , and well CL and DD , they kind of not even care any more , most of them simply quits

• Thanks 1

[CLAY]
2,970 posts
13,330 battles

HERETIC!

I actually see your point, but I don't have that much faith in random players.

In my experience, most players, if given the option, will keep long range... Or at least the ones on my flank.

17 hours ago, Verytis said:

Cruisers players should already know not to rely heavily on their armour, and focus more on speed and rudder shift. Tier X has always been the exception where armour was effective, until the introduction of 457mm came. Lower tier cruisers have always been overmatched. Its not fun being in a T9 CA getting matched with a Montana, its brutal. That said, I'm not opposed to rudder/acceleration buffs

Now, I'm probably just a bad player, but the problem I have is trying to get close enough, within say... 19km in a cruiser in order to fire at enemies. My allied BBs, with much better armor, are sitting about 4-5 kms behind me and can comfortably fire at enemy.

I'm either the only cruiser on the flank, or the only one with sub 20km range. I fire, get spotted.

I'm now the closest ship to the enemies, so they ALL start firing at me, 4 or more BBs and super heavy cruisers, I turn and kite. Despite maneuvering like mad, the sustained fire from 4 ships still hits me. Citadel from 45 degree angle, and I lose half my HP..

I go undetected and survive, and debate about trying to actually try to fight back, or just wait and hope the long range players either close in or thin out the herd. Or just flee to another flank, maybe one with some island cover I can use.

Then Aircraft spot me.

Problem is, when you're the closest ship to the enemy, they focus fire, and throw enough S... and something will stick.

Edited by Grygus_Triss
  • Thanks 3

[KAMI]
486 posts
6,174 battles
54 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Now, I'm probably just a bad player, but the problem I have is trying to get close enough, within say... 19km in a cruiser in order to fire at enemies. My allied BBs, with much better armor, are sitting about 4-5 kms behind me and can comfortably fire at enemy.

Chances are that they're not actually getting any reliable dmg at all. If they're that far away, just chill and wait. Get a snackbowl. Not much you can do if they want to be 20km+ away.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this