Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

The Mogador Way?

8 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles

I'm only a few games in on Mogador. My first impression is that she is a very different ship to LeFantasque. The T8 ship, while fast, still feels like a DD to me. Mogador is more of a light cruiser with rockets engines.

I recall the Mogador and Kleber got heavily nerfed shortly after release. Concealment is way worse, and there may have been a reduction in base reload. 7.5 km for Mogador is just crazy, it really limits what you can do.

Anyway, I've seen two very different ways to play Mogador effectively ... I was wondering which one people here endorse.

Mogador 1: A French Tashkent, you run down flanks or behind the enemy team, gunning down any isolated and vulnerable ships you can find. Most of the time, you are detected but too far away to be hit consistently.

Mogador 2: You yolo a front line which the enemy has left too thin to properly defend, torping ships at point blank range. Abuse island cover on the way in and out, so the enemy can't react in time. I saw this done to my team yesterday, took 4 ships down before he got killed. In my view, a team has to be a bit braindead to allow this to happen, but it did happen, so ....

[BONED]
600 posts
7,777 battles

Well the Moggie was certainly fun in Brawls last night. Anticipating that it will be again tonight.

I used the mode to get the upgraded hull and guns in a few battles.

It does feel more cumbersome that the Fantasque. Torp angles are much, much improved.

Suspect it will be style 1 for the early part of the game, then move into type 2 as the game progresses. Managing caps in low DD games might force you to be a little more aggressive earlier in the game. 

Edit: Nope no RPF SF, I'm training a new capn and he is only 11 points thus far. 

Edited by Puggsley

[AN-DO]
348 posts
7,036 battles

Do you guys put on radio location?

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles
21 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

It does feel more cumbersome that the Fantasque. Torp angles are much, much improved.

That it has such insane angles on the torp launchers says to me the ship was intended for point blank drive bys.

But, the AP penetration on the guns is optimal for flanking attacks on cruisers.

It's a duality of purpose I struggle to tie together. 

@sfcgx3 No, I don't run rpf.

Edited by Rina_Pon

[AN-DO]
706 posts
10,392 battles

basically with the high tier French you play them like a better version of the Russian gun boats - running around spamming HE on everybody and being annoying and near impossible to hit. Later in the game depending on how it is going you can look to use your speed for some aggressive rushes. you also have the ability to rapidly chase down any remaining DDs almost all of whom you will outgun. At your speed even if they have a 1.5km detection advantage over you, you will come up on them so fast it will be too late. You should only look at aggressive plays late game though or if you get lucky situations where you know for sure you can rush an enemy behind an island and finish them before they know what's going on. I've only seen two instances where Mog or Kleber was effective being super aggressive at the start, and both times they were DD unicums. For everybody else I wouldn't recommend that. 

[BONED]
600 posts
7,777 battles

At the end of the day they are DDs first and foremost, and are increasingly powerful against depleted teams. No point in throwing it away early on a mad yolo rush.

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,720 posts
42,644 battles
1 hour ago, sfcgx3 said:

Do you guys put on radio location?

Yes, to counter steathy sheeps

[LBAS]
1,939 posts
3,672 battles

as long as i am playing french DD, only CV is the real counter to it.... 

that is why CV removal is benefit me a lot since i will be unstoppable......

Sign in to follow this