Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

How I feel about Marceau

6 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
344 posts
6,963 battles

Played 6 games since getting her yesterday, 5 losses and 1 win. I'm still learning but here's what I think:

- somehow Marceau has a magnet for attracting unfavorable MM: I saw 2 times starlinggrad and 2 times FDR on the enemy team in my 6 matches. 4 of the losses were one-sided

- this links to another issue that Marceau's performance relies on the team quite heavily. You can't easily cap so someone has to cap. Your do more damage over the long run so the team needs to survive longer

- in DD duel I think her gun performance is less than expect but still acceptable

- Torps seem useless. Haven't hit a single one yet

- I'm a bit split over her role, whether should be DD hunter or long range gun boat.

- skill wise I am currently CE+AFT but wonder if RL+AFT works better

- AFT is almost a must which means she should have a different captain than my Mogador

Do you agree? Keen to know your thoughts/advices 

Edited by sfcgx3

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,718 posts
42,506 battles
1 hour ago, sfcgx3 said:

Do you agree? Keen to know your thoughts/advices 

There is none,

DD without smoke, not for normal players

Torp can hit but not from normal players

6 posts
5,209 battles

You shouldn't use Marceau to cap. That's not how this DD is plays. You should play it purely as a hunter, which means avoiding caps early and most importantly DO NOT engage DDs with back up. 

Even when I am playing kitakaze, I dread clashing Marceau, because he can outdodge and outdamage me. 

[REPOI]
6,719 posts
27,077 battles
41 minutes ago, DarthPuppyTheWise said:

You shouldn't use Marceau to cap. That's not how this DD is plays. You should play it purely as a hunter, which means avoiding caps early and most importantly DO NOT engage DDs with back up. 

eh? The heart and soal of Marceau is cap control, while by extension that includes a role as DD hunters you can also just as well sit behind a rock and spam shells at the enemy team to zone them away from caps or use your speed to ass into caps before some DDs get into the cap bow in

image.thumb.png.3ccccb4a5911575e037ff4a77d0e0c9d.png

you can easily cap if the enemy DD isn't in your cap and if there's so many DDs in the match that you cant just zip over to another cap without it being contested, then you should be able to abuse terrain to get the drop on any DDs as soon as they start getting into a cap and you know for sure where they are

you can see the captain build above is a hybrid cap bully and HE spammer, for upgrades it's the standard DD build but with the speed boost and gun range mod

for this build I use it as a hybrid to bully away enemy DDs and getting maybe one or two caps for the extra fire chance then I find a favorable position and provide fire support to teammates as long as the enemy DD isn't wreaking havoc on my team somewhere in a map, I didn't drop PT and DE to take RPF because if you did you lose a lot of potential to make late game plays when you already have/lost a lot of cap control and need to actually start doing effective damage on capital ship

and if a CV decides to come ruin you day, start insulting him in chat and jebait his planes into your teammate's AA, don't be pigheaded and try to cap alone will only result will be you dying alone in a CV match

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder
2,642 posts
12,839 battles

Tried AFT, it's totally useless because hitting anything other than the stationary targets with the extra range is next to impossible due to the floaty shell ballistic. And of course things like Stalingrad can still nail you from the extra range. The extra range also makes it more difficult to disengage because the gun bloom radius will be bigger than it should be.

Torps are kind of okay imo. With full concealment, you have 2km window to drop them safely. Although it has to be noted that you only use them as area denial, forcing the smoke campers out, and to YOLO rush BBs in the later part of the game.

AA is okay. Not overly OP like Halland, but still good enough to almost wipe the whole squad of IJN & German CVs alone.

I find the ship to be a good replacement of Kitakaze. The concealment nerf really neutered Kitakaze's ability to control the engagement. Marceau has the speed needed to close the gap swiftly, and the saturation gimmick to make her more tanky in a gun duel.

[SMOKE]
2,183 posts
17,073 battles

My feeling towards the boat is that its to be played as a fast scout light cruiser, not to be a DD , you only go cap when situation absolutely favors you since you had no smoke, and not much of stealth. On the other hand, supporting Area control in this boat is quite doable using both gun and torp ( torp only used to deter advancing and enemy DD ). The best use of this boat actually is to pair up with another smokeless DD , the much slower Europeans, but will work fine other nations' too. Or you can stay with the Cruisers and be support platform ( AA , guns , occassional torp )

IMHO the AA is overrated , but then all AA in this game are , and that is not this boat's fault, just a faulted mechanism

Sign in to follow this