Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Quick and dirty Shimakaze review

3 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,309 posts
11,704 battles

I unlocked the UU this evening. That means all my T10 ships have their upgrades, and I have no reason to worry about their upcoming move to the RB.

So, Shimakaze. Straight up: if you have this ship, load up the 20 km Type F3 torps. Become a Super-Asashio. There's a simple reason Asashio is one of the most powerful DDs in the current BB/CV/radar meta: you can demolish enemy capitol ships from complete safety. With Shima, you can do the same but damage anything. 20 km torps are used rather differently than 10 km or even 12 km. It's almost entirely predictive. You know the areas of the map where ships tend to cluster, you find a firing solution that intersects that, launch the fish, then boost out across the map so when the torps land you are nowhere near where the enemy traces the incoming torps back to when the torps finally land. Yes, these torps are very easily spotted, but high tier ships are large and often camp. You'd be surprised how easy they are to land. Just having to deal with them demoralizes the enemy fleet. Their BBs are stuck being ineffective on the B line and still having to dodge waves of incoming torps.

Can't emphasize the "get out of there" part strongly enough. Key to Shima gameplay is not being where they think you are, and the ships blistering speed means you can be literally at A cap by the time your torps sweep into C cap. The second wave of torps should never come from the same direction as first wave. Contrary to popular belief BB players are not so dumb that they'll fall for the same trick twice.

It's usually better not to go for the cap initially. You want to concentrate on helping your team dismantle the flanking BBs first, before you tackle the DDs and cruisers at the caps. Of course spotting is a big part of your job, and with your speed and concealment you can do it easily.

The Unique Upgrade is an extra -15% reduction in torp reload time in return for a -70% (!) loss of launcher turn time. Means they become useless in any kind of situation where you are under fire and dodging. It's an interesting option, but I'm not convinced the returns are worth the risk.

Screenshot (190).png

The sneakiest of the sneakiest - Shimakaze.

Do I like this ship? Yes. Do I love it? No. Too much of it plays out like drone warfare, it's neither especially difficult, nor risky, nor even challenging. Yes, there's some satisfaction when everything breaks your way and you can get around the enemy to torp their broadsides, but it's more about patience and luck than actual skill. Obviously, you have the option to mount the other torps and play much more aggressively, but there are simply not enough opportunities to use them in a typical game to validate the choice. That's my view of things at present, at any rate. Of my three T10 DDs (Halland and Gearing being the other two) Shima gets more damage more consistently, and gets more wins, but is the least interesting to play for me.

Edited by Rina_Pon

61 posts
3,415 battles

Good review! I got Shima recently, so I'll have to try this method out. I noticed as well that despite the flak people give the 20km torpedoes, they're often the most effective for her to use since the MM has been flooded with Russian 12km radar and classic 10km radar as well. And people still have the audacity to be mad at the Shima who isn't suiciding into Petropavlovsks and Stalingrads...

[AN-DO]
347 posts
7,036 battles

Do you use Torp acceleration that cuts 20% range?

Sign in to follow this