You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Drakon233

Ghosts of WG's Chrismas past: A summary on past Christmas container events and calling out WG's bullshit

45 comments in this topic

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles

copy past from my reddit post, thought i'd toss it here too- 

Thanks to zylalx1 on the CN NGA forum's wows board for summarizing this in Chinese and finding the links to the original pages in the news portal

As an oldtimer who's been around to see how WG spiraled into this pathetic state with their "festive events", I decided to go back on and take take a closer eye on WG's claim that "this Christmas is just like the others", and "we thought everyone already knew the rules" cuz I sure as hell don't remember this being this way

So let's take a stroll down memory lane shall we, and layout the skeletons in WG's closet bare, showing from the contents, rulesets, and advertising just why this is not a merry Chrismas

2015 :"sekret santa"- Testing the watershttps://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/sales-and-events/secret-santa/

r/WorldOfWarships - Ghosts of WG's Chrismas past: summary on past Christmas container events and calling out WG's bullshit (Data drain warning, contains a shitton of pics)

The rules: "Player A buys a gift, which WG will give to a random player (B), at which point Santa would gift player A the same gift that was given to player B.

This was very likely a test run on the concept of Santa crates There's no record of what was actually in these crates but I assume it's something close to what's in one of the small containers we have today.

To be honest, I don't think there ever was a "Player B", I personally did not get anything, and non of the people who I chatted to at the time said anything about getting anything, feel free to correct me if you were one of the people who actually get something...

2016: "Santas wanted" - So it begins

r/WorldOfWarships - Ghosts of WG's Chrismas past: summary on past Christmas container events and calling out WG's bullshit (Data drain warning, contains a shitton of pics)

The rules- with large crates as an example

1.each large crate contains one of the following items

• a large number of Doubloons

• a large amount of Camouflage

• 180 Days Premium Time

• Ishizuchi

• Atago

• Prinz Eugen

2.If you get an SC drop in the crate opening process, then it will contain one of the ships listed in the red list above (I'm too lazy to retype them, sue me), if you get a ship that you've already got then you'll get full compensation in doubloons of equal value

Basically, the same promotional concept as last year of "gift-giving", but this time you got to pick someone on your friend list (or yourself) to receive the gift and this time the things inside are actually specified. At this point, there are a total of 20 ships in the total ship pool with 3 "rare ships" (Nikolai, grem, MK)

Note. Belfast was already out but not contained in these crates

2017: "Santas wanted" 2 Electric Boogaloo

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/game-updates/secret-santa-2/

small crates

medium crates

big crates

in addition, all crates have the potential to contain one of the following ships: Nikolai, gremyashcy, kamikaze, tirpitz, kutuzoz, atago, belfast, loyang, Prinze Eugen

The rules- with large crates as an example

1.each large crate contains one of the following items

• 180 Days of Premium 

• 2,000 Doubloons

• Premium British Destroyer Gallant

• Premium Pan-Asian DestroyerLoyang

• Premium American Battleship Alabama

• special camos

• special Flags 

2. if you get a repeat ship in the original ship pool(i.e Gallant/Loyang/Alabama) you will receive a random ship from the "special" ship pool

If you are receiving a ship from the "extra" ship pool you will not receive a duplicate ship unless you already have all the ships in the pool

if you already have all the ships in both ship pools then you will only potentially get a duplicate ship from the original ship pool, i.e Gallant/Loyang/Alabama, at which point you will receive the equivalent value in doubloons

note: Missouri was out but not available in the crates, GC was not confirmed to be going off shelves just yet

This year WG toned back the "gift-giving" aspects of the Christmas event and went more for the "gift buying angle, could be for a buddy of your's , could be for yourself *cough cough wink wink*

At this point, the total ship pool increased to 34 potential ships with an additional 2 "rare ships" being belfast and kamikaze, in addition to the original nikolai, grem, MK

2018: "Get ye rare ships here" - Beginning of the spiral into gacha hell

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/sales-and-events/santa-claus-postman/

The year began to see the WG officially advertise Christmas boxes as a way to sell rare ships, and the idea of Christmas gift-giving was nowhere to be found, they straight up tell you that you are buying yourself a gift. The ship pool was increased to 56 ships, and 2 ships (Missouri and Caesar) were added to the rare ship pool, bringing the total number to 7. At this time Musashi and Kronstadt had not yet been confirmed going off shelves

But here's the real kicker, take a close look and you'll clearly see from how WG was deliberately making the ruleset of getting rare ships vague, to how there was a rolling banner showing off all the rare ships, to “A chance to get 1 from 56 premium ships, these were a ploy to mislead the buyer into thinking "All i have to do to get a rare ship is to get lucky", it was absolutely not because as they claimed "we thought everyone knew the rules"

still not seeing it?

then let me make it even more clear

Here are the rules for the Christmas 2018 event as written on the portal, using the large crates as an example.

If you get a ship that you already own, it will automatically be swapped for a different ship from the list. In this situation, a Santa container dropped onto the transport ship in the Port will be changed for a supercontainer, and you will get a ship that comes with a Port slot and Commander with 10 skill points.

If you get a ship that is already anchored in your Port and have collected all the ships that have a chance of being dropped in Santa's containers, the transport ship will be displayed with a Santa container placed on its deck. Once you open the container, you will see the ship it initially carried. That ship, however, will not steer into your Port. Instead, you will receive the ship's price in doubloons, a Port slot, and a Commander with 10 skill points.

and here we get to the crux of the matter

Starting from this year WG stopped telling us that there was a shortlist of ships to get through before you would start getting into the "rare" ship pool, so anyone who even either weren't around the last few years or just forgot (it's been a while and who TF remembers stuff like this anyways) wouldn't even know about the mechanics of how these ships drop.

WG wants you to think you get dropped a random ship from the 56 ships in the pool with an equal chance at the start. so the "we though everyone knew" excuse holds as much water as paper ships like stalingrad or MVR ever did: 0

2019:"A time of gifts" -Further down the rabbit hole we go

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/sales-and-events/time-of-gifts/]

I need to go soon so no pics, I'll leave the links so you can see for yourselves

Everything this year down to the portal page style and misleading statements were basically the same as in 2018. The ship pool increased to 86 ships and 5 rare ships were added Musashi, Kronstadt, Benham, Enterprise, and fujin, bringing the total number rare ships to 12

The difference between the rules and the 2018 rules is that if you already have all the ships on the ship pool, when you get a ship drop, instead of getting the full amount of doubloons compensated you will get the drop changed to one that's not a ship (this is supposed to prevent people with all the prems in game from using this to farm dubbs), the only time you get the full doubloon compensation is when you got this ship from a method that's not opening crates and you then opened a duplicate

2020:"sekret santa 2"- When hell broke loose

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/sales-and-events/a-time-of-gifts/

Everything this year down to the portal page style and misleading statements were basically the same as in 2018 and 2019. The ship pool increased to 107 ships, 2 seemingly "rare" ships were added (newtrashshitme and Flint), which can also now be traded for coal, but the portal announcement lumped them with the "rare" ships, and their in-game status is SPECIALUNSELLABLE), bring the total pool of rare ships is 12+2.

In addition, WG actually made a notice that a few ships were going to be "the rarest of the rare" by taking them out of the crate drops next year(grem, nikolai, GC, kamikaze and fujin). wow, so cool, such artificial scarcity, very nice.

According to the previous announcement for ships going off shelves, Georgia, Massachusetts, and Alaska should be added to the 2021 Christmas Crates (although they were were all in the crates already, the probability of winning may be lowered when the status of the ship becomes out-of-print).

The rules for this year are the same as for 2019, except that the detailed rules have been placed in an even more obscure location and can only be read by going through an external link

so, in conclusion, what have we seen by going through the bone graveyards of mass whale beachings?

I actually don't even know anymore, on WG's end the ruleset hasn't changed all that much on paper, and while the mechanics "haven't changed" drop rates for each item that the whales have been getting this year was horrendous, might even warrant a closer look to see if they are actually rigged.tm?

But what I do know, is that drop rates non-withstanding the way that WG has been advertising these crates haven't been honest for years and it's about damn time that people sat up and took notice on the predatory monetization and false advertisement.

Have a good Christmas ya'all, and remember to not buy crates

(anyone else morbidly curious on what kind of BS WG is gonna pull for 2021?)

Edited by Drakon233
  • Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[SALT]
2,089 posts
10,571 battles

Well.....

WG have been steadily, being pittiful grinch Reducing "free" stuff, for the last 2-3 years ?!?

Supercontainer, Snowflakes, and their anniversary goodies were noticably reduced too

I quess, why they can get away for doing it for this long

is because everyone disctracted grinding quest, farming shit and such. (which require steadily increased effort each year too)

Edited by humusz
  • Cool 2

[FISH]
438 posts
35,023 battles

Wargamings behavior doesn't disturb me because of my low expectations of the company. 

What does is the level of victim blaming coming from obtuse members of the player base that this is somehow the moral responsibility of whoever bought the containers and not nefarious marketing by WG. 

I don't even understand the motivation anyone would have to side with the people ripping them off.

• Thanks 1

5,155 posts
9,109 battles

I'm an English major in uni, so language and words are kinda my things. I wanted to be an art student, but that's not the point.

The fact that the event was labeled as "A Time for Gift", but the one who gets the gifts is the buyer, and the buyer has to buy the gifts to gift themselves...

Yeah, something feels off about this whole thing, doesn't it? The wording alone makes me roll my eyes.

The boxes are rigged. If they make it so that certain things have higher chance than the others, and force it (shortlist ships >>> SC list ships), they're rigged. It's neither a good thing nor a bad thing. I just say, this lottery is rigged.

I'm not into gambling and hate games of chance (unless I'm playing a good old RPG like Diablo 2, where the only "gambling" involved is the loots) and couldn't care less about some "rArE sHIpS". I am the last of the last people who would be affected by this "chance to get things" shenanigan. Rather shell out ~$80 for the Alaska than $200 for only a chance of anything. I already don't like the Early Access boxes some Updates ago.

Thank you, EA, for making me hate games of chance even more. Now I thank you too, WG.

PS. I wonder what gacha addicts think about this lmao

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
5 minutes ago, Pervis117 said:

Wargamings behavior doesn't disturb me because of my low expectations of the company. 

What does is the level of victim blaming coming from obtuse members of the player base that this is somehow the moral responsibility of whoever bought the containers and not nefarious marketing by WG. 

I don't even understand the motivation anyone would have to side with the people ripping them off.

because frankly, they should have known better, and the fact that they keep tossing money at WG when they pull crap like this hurts the rest of the community because it sends a loud and clear signal to WG that they can get away with it.

I'm not saying that WG isn't blameless, they have as much blood on their hands as the guy who print gulag tickets, but the whales who recklessly spend with no regard for the consequences are the ones who are empowering them

• Cool 3

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

at least in gacha, to keep the player base coming back they are more transparent with the drop rates ironically 

I still dolphin a bit on FGO but I stopped whaleing for WG long ago

• Cool 2

[FISH]
438 posts
35,023 battles
41 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

because frankly, they should have known better, and the fact that they keep tossing money at WG when they pull crap like this hurts the rest of the community because it sends a loud and clear signal to WG that they can get away with it.

I'm not saying that WG isn't blameless, they have as much blood on their hands as the guy who print gulag tickets, but the whales who recklessly spend with no regard for the consequences are the ones who are empowering them

To repeat what I said on Discord, the whales are the least effected by this. 

And its the non whales that are the most screwed over. 

We all hate whales.

• Cool 2

[-CAT-]
2,778 posts
12,310 battles

And WG keeps asks why the customers are leaving the game [either temporarily or for good], or why the customers don't recommend the game, or why the customers are angry, when the problem is the company [probably company leadership] istelf is the one squandering the customer's trust. And refuses to believe or is in a state-of-denial that it is a self-inflicted wound.

-_-

• Cool 2

[FISH]
438 posts
35,023 battles
Just now, S0und_Theif said:

And WG keeps asks why the customers are leaving the game [either temporarily or for good], or why the customers don't recommend the game, or why the customers are angry, when the problem is the company [probably company leadership] istelf is the one squandering the customer's trust. And refuses to believe or is in a state-of-denial that it is a self-inflicted wound.

-_-

The implication of their own language:

After 2018 it was not present in the description anymore, as it was deemed excessive to the already detailed description.

is that there haven't been new players since 2018.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,569 posts
5,513 battles
1 hour ago, Pervis117 said:

Its a form of tall poppy syndrome.

they take glee in seeing those who spend money and getting more annoyed and angry than actually enjoying or having a good time with their money.

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,677 posts
15,937 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

The difference is gatcha players know that certain items or characters have different drop rates, plus most gatcha game devs have always been very upfront and transparent about their rates. So gatcha players expect rigged drops to an extent.

WG however isn't upfront. And while gatcha players may have suspicions about WG's lootboxes, WG has not been transparent about it, leading people (especially non-gatcha players) to assume that everything has equal chance of dropping. So obviously those people feel cheated when they find that this is not the case.

Seriously this just goes to show why gambling on lootboxes, especially if you don't know the rates or the lootbox mechanics in general, is a bad idea of you are aiming for a particular prize. The entire system is just rife for abuse.

Edited by Thyaliad
  • Cool 1

553 posts
6,735 battles

To add to and/or amend what Drakon said, the whales that recklessly spend on lootboxes every Christmas like I spend on Azur Lane (tee hee) is why WG gets away with offering lootboxes everytime. If they were a bit more careful about spending money on lootboxes WG might have designed something else for Christmas or whatnot.

3 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

The implication of their own language:

is that there haven't been new players since 2018.

Unfortunately, I think you're being a bit naive here. I see new players all the time both in and out of game. The WoWS Official Discord seems to keep getting new players, and so does the various fan groups on FB.

Sure they may be older players who finally made an account and joined in, but I see a lot of new people too. Let's face it, our numbers are quite unimpressive compared to those who do not voice themselves over these communities, and sometimes those who do voice themselves do not air grievances, but are merely engaging in convos with, say, their clanmates, their friends, or simply with other fellow players ("mabar yuk gan", which is roughly "let's play together mate" in Indonesian is a rather common phrase in the Indonesian Facebook group.

I have also noticed that WG has never bothered much with community grievances and such unless the entire community is united in their disapproval over something, but as Puerto Rico shows even then they can still say "screw you" and get away with it . That should tell something about the portion of the userbase we take up tbh.

4 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

at least in gacha, to keep the player base coming back they are more transparent with the drop rates ironically 

I still dolphin a bit on FGO but I stopped whaleing for WG long ago

Azur Lane also does this and I'm more willing to whale on that game than I am on WG right now (though that might be my temporarily curtailed interest lol). I whaled so hard there that despite being in the game for less than  a year (I joined at the Russian ships event) I am only missing three major event ships- Akagi Muse, Sovetskaya Rossiya and Chitose.

I remember those horror stories of FGO players spending like $800 and not getting anything they want though:Smile_teethhappy:.

[SALT]
2,089 posts
10,571 battles
1 hour ago, TD1 said:

Azur Lane also does this and I'm more willing to whale on that game than I am on WG right now (though that might be my temporarily curtailed interest lol). I whaled so hard there that despite being in the game for less than  a year (I joined at the Russian ships event) I am only missing three major event ships- Akagi Muse, Sovetskaya Rossiya and Chitose.

I remember those horror stories of FGO players spending like $800 and not getting anything they want though:Smile_teethhappy:.

Azurlane Gacha is very insignificant. 

AL whales is those Swimsuit, Sexy costume buyer. and P2W weebs that buy Rings to marry all waifus

Edited by humusz

553 posts
6,735 battles
19 minutes ago, humusz said:

Azurlane Gacha is very insignificant. 

AL whales is those Swimsuit, Sexy costume buyer. and P2W weebs that buy Rings to marry all waifus

Ye

I may not be able to own Enterprise in WoWS....

..but I'll take having a ring around her finger and getting her dressed up in a nice, elegant qipao as a great subsitute to that:Smile_trollface:

[SALT]
2,089 posts
10,571 battles
1 hour ago, TD1 said:

Ye

I may not be able to own Enterprise in WoWS....

..but I'll take having a ring around her finger and getting her dressed up in a nice, elegant qipao as a great subsitute to that:Smile_trollface:

2b8c2639e2.png

qipao and yukata FTW

[151ST]
2,962 posts
11,051 battles

I'm 90% sure from what I've seen that the droprates for the shortlist have been overtuned...

And anyone who blames the whales... Get %#%!ed...

Every game has whales, there's nothing wrong with that and many people would whale in a heartbeat if they had the money, I did when I had the money...

'Oh but they're the ones who feed this business model'... What the actual ______...

Don't try and excuse WG of sole responsibility for this. They artificially created 'OP' and 'rare' ships to begin with, they are in effect operating a monopoly within their microcosm.

'Oh but they have running costs' - stop it, you sound like an idiot.

The founder guy/whoever is one of the richest folks in gaming, if Lesta is struggling to keep the lights on, that's 100% on management/corporate.

Even then it still doesn't excuse predatory business practices.

Don't excuse this behaviour.

• Cool 5

86 posts

TLDR; You have to spend $360 a year to make it work. Stop reading if you can't afford $1 a day for entertainment or not willing to spend some $$$$ to get some bonus from the crate. 

Let me start out by saying that the Christmas crates are misunderstood. 80-90% of the time you will only get camouflages, flags, free xp, coal, and premium time. You are still getting something of very very good value.

If you stack dragon flags in clan battles, you can easily make 20,000 xp/fxp per win. This gets you fast progress, free xp, and the freexp ships. People who are saying they got "nothing" are ignoring the obvious mathematical chances for blind hope of a miracle.

MIRACLES DON'T HAPPEN IN A CASINO. It's all pre-ordained, mathematically.

90% of the time the contents are the EXPECTED reward. The ship chance is a very nice bonus. If you use the math, you can benefit immensely.

Some history:

Since 2016, it has always been known that there is a wall of trash ships you get before you get a re-roll and a premium containers. In fact, in 2016, you could get multiple copies of the same ship. I got three SIMS in a row in 2016. People were getting 3-5 EMDENS. The trade off was in 2016, you got the

full doubloon value of the ships. People made enough to just buy ships outright, so the outrage was minimal.

Here we are in 2020, and people are mostly new players who don't know how the previous years worked, and wargaming, forgetting that it's NOT the same player base anymore, assumed people knew about the trash ship wall, and forgot to mention it this year.

This is the hole they dug for themselves. This is not what this post is about, however.

It is time to decide: Are you willing to spend money on the 1 in 10 chance of a ship? If your answer is no, go to the store and just buy your ship of choice. If you are a person of chance, who is willing to climb the wall of trash to the promised land, then read on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's take a chance while still getting good stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Christmas crates have 12-18% chance of a ship. This is PER crate, and not a guarantee! 

Approximately 88% of the time you will not get a ship. The normal rewards need to be enough for you to be happy. Stop if it's not.  

Appreciating the normal rewards:

This year I used all the dragon flags and camouflages from xmas to make millions of xp and free xp. I reset research bureau enough to get Ohio, get my Smaland, push directly to Petropavlovsk from T8, push multiple captains to 19 points, and be one line reset from getting Slava. This alone was worth what I spent.

Every win goes from 5000xp to 20,000xp, and I progress four times faster at everything but coal and steel, which are pretty much set by skill in ranked and clan battles.

The math of the gamble: 

1 in 10 is amazingly good odds, better than any casino in the world. A slot machine generally has 1% chance. If you lose at a casino you get nothing. In warships, you still get very good items. It's a win/win situation.

How do you benefit from the trash ship list?

You should realize that when you own all the ships on that list, you will get amazing ships in supercontainers.

You should realize the trash list is pretty short.

You should realize most of the "trash" ships aren't really trash. They are just low tier, and usually the best of their tier.

You should realize that all premium ships have better economics and can take captains without retraining them. Almost every premium you get will be worth playing. Don't fixate on one ship!

You should stick to big presents and not mega, what you are buying is more chances at ships. The appx 5% chance difference between mega and big presents is not worth 50% more cost. It's better to get more chances, by getting more big presents. 

How to maximize your gamble for the best return:

I set a limit of $1 per day for warships, this is money I spend only at Christmas. That's roughly $360. Yikes! That's too much! It's time to head to the premium store to buy your one ship for the year. 

Still here? $1 a day will get you a plain hamburger at McDonalds with no drink. It won't even get you a cup of coffee. $1 a day in nothing, and you know it. 

Climbing the list to glory:

Buying single presents one at a time seems to have worse odds. We know they do things behind the scenes. I can tell you from experiments that the big bundles will get you at least 1-2 ships, while 20 single purchases get you nothing.

My personal take is they have a minimum number they bake into the big bundles so people won't get angry and stop buying. That said, we're going to act like we're using the stated odds of 12% per crate.

The trash pile:

If the trash list is 4-5 ships, we need at the minimum, 80 crates to satisfy that. That's $200. You're going to get more camos, flags, and coal than most players get in a year. This amount of crates should get you past the wall.

The silver mine: 

If you have pushed past the trash, you'll know because you will get supercontainers instead of ships in presents. A supercontainer means the crate looks to the list, and either lands on the ship you have on an incomplete list, or lands on your full list, and hands you

a supercontainer instead. In general, that means you will have roughly a 1 in 100 chance of getting that special single ship off the list. In reality, it guards certain ships and only gives them last. I have found that it will march up the tiers within a 

bracket and won't give the ultra special ships until you deplete that pool of normal premiums. That sounds depressing, right? Not really, because the ships you will be getting are good ships like Tirpitz, Alabama, West Virginia, and more.

Realize that once you get past the trash list, every ship you get represents a $30-80 value per ship. 

The gold mine, or when to whale:

So we used $200 to get a stupendous pile of camos and other goodies, and we got 4-5 nice low tier "trash" premiums in the "trash list". We will now use our remaining $160 to get 60 more crates. We will go to the armory and use the doubloons we earned to buy 10-20 more crates.

If the 1 in 10 holds true, our 70-80 crates will get us 6-8 premiums from the list. Worst case scenario you might get only 4 or 5.  At $30-80 a ship that can be anywhere from $240 to $640 worth of ships. Remember each ship comes with a ten point captain!

We are now at the point where spending money will generate more "value" than we spend. The only limit at that point is how much money you want to spend. SET A BUDGET, it's too easy to just click and buy, the reality is this is real money. 

The list shrinks, the rewards get better:

The more ships you have, the less room it has to avoid the legendary ships like Missouri, kamikaze, enterprise, and more. As it depletes the ranks of normal premiums, it will begrudgingly give up the best ships. At the end, it will give out the freexp and coal ships.

We hit our set limit, it's time to stop.

We spent our $360, and got probably 10 premiums for it, a massive heap of camos, dragon flags, coal, and premium time. You can buy premium time with the doubloons that dropped, or use the doubloons for more crates.

It gets better every year:

The list carries over to next year, so when we have more money, we can pick up where we stopped. As long as you earn all the free event ships (like Oklahoma, etc), you won't have to climb over them. It will be almost pure great premium ships after that.

It's not for those who won't spend at least $300 every single year.

You're not going to get past the wall and up the list of premiums to the legendary ships on anything less than $300 a year. Over five years I've given wargaming $2000. Sounds crazy, right? But that's still $1 a day. Have a phone? At $40 a month that's $2500 with taxes in the same amount of time.

Shove $1 a day in a jar. You're worth it.

It's harder for new players:

I have the advantage that I've been doing this since 2016 when the list of trash to climb was breathtakingly short. Every year after the other was easier and easier, as the list gets shorter. 

A sure thing, something a gambler loves:

Imagine if every hand of blackjack or pull of a slot gave you a nice coffee mug, or some K-cups. That's what the Christmas crates do, it's good stuff even when you "lose".

This is maximizing return for your money. If you buy 3 premiums a year, you're already at $240. $365 isn't really that much of a stretch.

Good luck whaling, the proper way, and see you in game.

The above was copy and paste from NA forum. It was a bit relevant when it come to expectation from the Mega Santa Crates.

Personal experience:

Last year Mega Santa Crates, after spend 40 Mega Crates, and got most of the prem ships, and the rare ship is still not popping for me. (Imperator Nikolai/Kami/Fujin/Grem/Belfast/Kut), calculated my chances by checking the list of possible drop ships, I decided to get another 20 Mega. At this point, it because I really desired a rare ship drop. I got kami. I am happy.

This year, comparing the prem ships list, there are some that I don't want but need to get it so the chances to move on to the next ship is greater. so 20 Mega Crate is enough for me. Maybe possibly another 20, but that it.

In conclusion, if you spend, you should be happy with whatever in those crates, and if it drop a prem ship, GREAT, a BONUS. If you want to spend, do your research and expect less, so when the return is greater then your expectation you will be happy. I am not defending WG or encouraging, just simply address the Santa crate mechanic learning from own experiences for personally doing it from 2016. Take it with salt if you not agreed, even if you are not happy. But anything with WG, do research and be patient, don't rush. I had enough coal to buy z44 and the neu if I wanted to, but I am still holding on the coal just to observe what happening next. I will eventually get them. Man, I had enough Research points to get the Slava, but I am still holding on not to purchase her as well (Snow Flake event, I am eyeing you).

regards,   

• Thanks 2

[LBAS]
1,934 posts
3,664 battles
21 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

TLDR; You have to spend $360 a year to make it work. Stop reading if you can't afford $1 a day for entertainment or not willing to spend some $$$$ to get some bonus from the crate. 

Obi Wan, i am expect you are not defending that corrupt republican and the jedi order. this is the reason why i am joining dark side.

A. some people just too poor

we know ITS SEA COUNTRY, dont compare it to Aus and NZ with their good income. $1 a day can mean a lot. also remember not every WoWs player is working adult. there is some teenager that also barely making any money. and where do you think they get money? robbing their parent?

hohoho and also debt.... WoWs need to run on high spec PC right?

B. WoWs is not only our intertainment

yep, watch movies, go travel, feed on the feast. and maybe another game to play.... SOMETHING WRONG IF COMPANY TRYING TO STEAL OUR LIFE

31 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

It is time to decide: Are you willing to spend money on the 1 in 10 chance of a ship? If your answer is no, go to the store and just buy your ship of choice. If you are a person of chance, who is willing to climb the wall of trash to the promised land, then read on.

are you joking Obi Wan? 99% PLAYER THAT BOUGHT CRATE WANT "RARE" SHIP, THEY DONT SELL IT.

WG artificially create OP SHIP and then MAKE IT RARE

not everyone have instant cash, they buy when they have the monies. 

36 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

If you want to spend, do your research and expect less, so when the return is greater then your expectation you will be happy. 

what research? how?

at least in other Gacha games we know the rates, we can expect less....

but if the marketing said, the chance are same.... ITS BLATANT LIE

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

its not about the money we spend obi wan, ITS ABOUT OUR RAGE

WE FEEL STUPID, ROBBED, AND ANGERY

WE TRUST WG SO MUCH, WE LOVE WORLD OF WARSHIP

yet WG Betray us, OVER AND OVEERRRR

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

dear WG, BE GREEDY, not stupid.....

the trick is MAKING PEOPLE SPEND MORE AND HAPPY, 

DONT MAKE PEOPLE SPEND LESS AND ANGRY

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
58 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

Snip

Cool, but the point on my very long winded post wasn't that crates are terrible for getting rare  ships, or even ships in general if you dont whale AND have a very large ship pool already, I'm pretty sure everyone already knew that(and if they didn't then they don't get to complain)

The issue i have was with how wg deliberatelyhid the shortlist mechanic to falsely advertise that the drop will be "random" when there's a whole separate process that goes into the drop mechanic before a rare ship is even considered. And then had the gall to say "it's because we thought everyone knew"

As for research

This post is literally the culmination of the "research" required to sort through WG's BS, and look at the effort it took, it's a literal wall of text spanning the history of 5 years. How the hell is the average consumer supposed to " research" that on his own with no guidance?

Tldr, I'm not saying that crates need to be changed so there are equal droprates or anything like that, if you bet then you'll lose and anyone who thinks otherwise is just dumb. What i AM saying is that we need more transparency on HOW the crates drop so consumers can make a educated decision without doing... "Research"

Edited by Drakon233
  • Cool 5

5,155 posts
9,109 battles
1 hour ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

snipped

And did WG ever tell anyone about the shortlist and the mechanic revolved around that list?

If it's not on the game's main website, then it's a thumb down in terms of communication.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Snip

No one is excuseing WG's behavior, but  reskless spending is what made corporate go "yeah they'll buy anyways"

It's not as simple as "WG is totally at fault"(tho they totally are), even the most dickish of corporate pencil pushers wouldn't dare to keep implementing predictory practices if it actually hurts profits would they?

Not one specific whale is guilty here, it's the collective ignorance and reckless of the community and whales just happen to be the worst offenders

• Cool 3

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
7 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

And did WG ever tell anyone about the shortlist and the mechanic revolved around that list?

Yes, in 2017 

5,155 posts
9,109 battles
4 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

Yes, in 2017 

And who remembers that now?

Is that present in this year's Santa boxes article?

Edited by Paladinum

[REPOI]
6,722 posts
27,077 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

And who remembers that now?

Exactly why i made this post