Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

Talk me out of it... ... ...

19 comments in this topic

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles

Ok I need help folks...

Firstly, I have something in the realm of 2.7mil FXP but I like having a chunky reserve...

I will be picking up Alaska at some point, this is a given...

I need to decide whether I want to get Hayate.

I won't get Smaland, no interest in it, I'm not a huge fan of DDs without smoke, particularly at higher tiers...

Why do I need you to talk me out of Hayate? Well because not many people play her, she's IJN and she's not the greatest...

But most of all she's 2 mil FXP which means burning some dubloons and grinding some FXP before 10.0...

It's not a big deal, I have 35k ot something... Indo use these a lot trying different builds for videos and things though...

So...

I really like the idea of IJN 127s on an IJN Hybrid DD and going full gunbote build.

Talk me out of it folks, tell my why I shouldn't get Hayate because at the moment the two reasons are it's concealment (6.1km) and it's price (2mil FXP).

NB: I'm not a DD main but I do ok... (Have Haru, Daring, Z-52).

• Cool 1

[AMPOL]
Beta Tester
1,656 posts
18,437 battles

well first of all go and watch youtube on the ship and im sure you prob have already, that will tell you if she is worth it or not.

or just wait and see what new free xp ships are coming.

i got over 2mil as well and i will be waiting to see if any new FXP ships are going to be added to the game.

if they dont add any new ships for FXP then i will prob spend that FXP on a re-grind instead and get a ship that way.

5,164 posts
9,111 battles
3 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Hayate?

She's like a side grade of Z-46 with an IJN label... No Hydro, can't spam torps, huge torp detection range, etc. Even more sluggish than Kitakaze.

Can easily be a T9 with 10km torps IMO. If she's T9 then being 1mil FXP is justified.

With 2 mil FXP I'd rather skip 2-3 tech tree T10 for those SCs in 0.9.12. I only need to grind credit, which is the easy part.

Also may as well hold off to see how to get Vampire II.

[AN-DO]
347 posts
7,032 battles

Why 0.10.1? Hayate is not going anywhere.

[MRI]
3,683 posts
15,985 battles
1 hour ago, S4pp3R said:

I am not going to talk you out of it because I am quite liking the Hayate. It is basically an upgunned Yuugumo, and I am one of those people who thinks the IJN 127mms are underrated.

I am however going to try and talk you out of getting the Hayate now. Because there is really no need to rush - the Hayate isn't going anywhere.

If anything you should be getting the Smaland since it is going to be removed from the game and who knows if it is ever going to come back. As long as you are very, very sure you won't regret missing the Smaland, then go ahead and get the Hayate.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
29 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

Why 0.10.1? Hayate is not going anywhere.

I thought Hayate AND Smaland are disappearing...

*scrolls to devblog*

Oh wow... I am wrong...

I must be thinking 'why Smaland?' 'why not Hayate?' 'Hayate or Smaland are getting removed'

Thanks guys!

Right so back to Hayate...

53 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

With 2 mil FXP I'd rather skip 2-3 tech tree T10 for those SCs in 0.9.12. I only need to grind credit, which is the easy part.

I don't believe in skipping lines, only time I've done it was to get Moskva before she disappears because I had the FXP... (I don't actually like her though).

18 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

I am not going to talk you out of it because I am quite liking the Hayate. It is basically an upgunned Yuugumo, and I am one of those people who thinks the IJN 127mms are underrated.

Yeah I actually like IJN 127s and wouldn't mind a faster RoF version which is why Hayate has me intrigued...

19 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

As long as you are very, very sure you won't regret missing the Smaland, then go ahead and get the Hayate.

I won't, I only play most T10 DDs for Naval Battles and I don't particularly enjoy them, even then I rely too heavily on Smoke.

No, not interested in Smaland.

59 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Hayate?

She's like a side grade of Z-46 with an IJN label...

Don't say that, I don't like KM DDs much at all, mostly because of their HE... I dislike anaemic HE alpha... ...

But if it's IJN 127s that shouldn't be an issue...

• Cool 1

5,164 posts
9,111 battles
11 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

I don't believe in skipping lines, only time I've done it was to get Moskva before she disappears because I had the FXP... (I don't actually like her though).

Some grinds are insufferable, like Seattle. Because that ship suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

11 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Don't say that, I don't like KM DDs much at all, mostly because of their HE... I dislike anaemic HE alpha... ...

She's like a side grade of Z-46 with an IJN label...

Again, think of Vampire II. Think of her.

Edited by Paladinum

[FORCE]
Modder
2,679 posts
12,931 battles

Well, once Harugumo gets the special treatment against BB AP,  would there be any legit reasons that hold her down?

• Turns like a brick? Makes sense for a DD with most number of guns in the game.
  • Slow? Not as slow as Daring I reckon.
  • Meh concealment? Hayate is only 100m stealthier. But things like Marceau, Kleber, and Khaba are actually worse.
  • AA? Harugumo has the strongest AA in the league of DDs that don't have DefAA.

Granted, I have yet to take my Harugumo into Random on this server. But I will give her a try once the buff happens. And although Hayate's 127mm hits hard, the French will still maul her in 1v1 situation due to their higher RoF (Kleber's MBRB lasts long enough), better maneuverability, and saturation gimmick.

[NCOTS]
473 posts
11,427 battles

If you like it and thinks that Hayate will fit your playstyle, go for it 😄 Since her weakness aren't that glaring as some others 

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,402 posts
11,335 battles

I have both Hayate and Smaland.  Smaland is the better ship by a good margin, however she's a bit OP, so that's to be expected.  Hayate is a balanced ship.  I haven't played her a huge amount, but I did find her a solid and satisfying ship to play.

Before I bought her, I went to the fitting tool and tried out all the possible specs I can think of.  In the end, I went with a standard gunboat build (1-PT, 2-AR/LS, 3-SE/BFT, 4-AFT/CE).  As a gunboat she is quite a good ship - IJN 127's are really nice guns, and only let down by slow reload and turret traverse, both of which are issues that Hayate does not suffer from, and she gets an impressive 244k HE dpm with a 10% fire chance when specced.  I found her quite nice to play in this config.

Although she's advertised as a ship able to be built as either a gunboat or torp boat, she's a sub-par torp boat.  Firstly, torp boats are sub-par overall anyway, being significantly more dependent on the enemy making a mistake rather than you outplaying them.  Secondly, if you go full torp boat you still only get a 117s reload on two quintuple launchers, which is very poor, and if you take TRB on top of that you are playing a T10 IJN TRB DD with 12km torps and underwhelming concealment with no smoke, which is not going to make for an enjoyable experience.

Overall, I don't feel she's worth 2m free XP, especially when she's sold alongside an OP gunboat DD in Smaland.  She's not awful though, and a competent DD player will do just fine in her, and the play style is reasonably enjoyable if a bit vanilla.

She's an extremely good looking ship though, if that helps!

• Cool 1

[KAMI]
491 posts
6,189 battles
4 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Imagine a Yugumo that got Kitakaze's HE DPM, but then also got all the downsides with no other significant upside.

• You don't get the 30mm pen.
  • You don't get the separate TRB.
  • You do get worse concealment and turning.
  • Speed is better than Yugumo, but still worse than Shima.

Kitakaze can spilt out 12 torps by using TRB, while Hayate only splits out 10.

So your only advantage is....

• Sending 2 sets of torps at once, instead of sending with a 5 second gap.

There is a significant difference because the 2nd torp set loses the element of surprise. Hayate compensates for this in exchange for being a T10, thats all you get.

Unless, you want to do TRB Hayate, in which case...no other DDs will want to fight you fairly, but have fun being out-spotted, and then dealing with the CV.

But even then its still not great because TRB is a consumable and can't benefit from torp reload skill/upgrade.

And you'd suddenly miss out on gunning opportunities without the smoke.

This is like the Z-44, intended by WG to milk "a certain group of" players. I literally ask you not to buy it.

Edited by Verytis

[IJN]
310 posts
5,152 battles

Maybe save the FXP to later insta-grind multiple lines for a Research Bureau ship?

To be completely frank the only REALLY worthwhile FXP ship is the Alaska. The others all pale in comparison. Plus I did devstrike you the other day grinding so....

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
1 hour ago, Verytis said:

This is like the Z-44, intended by WG to milk "a certain group of" players. I literally ask you not to buy it.

Haha, we'll see - thankfully I have time so I can decide later!

1 hour ago, hurricaneflyer said:

Maybe save the FXP to later insta-grind multiple lines for a Research Bureau ship?

To be completely frank the only REALLY worthwhile FXP ship is the Alaska. The others all pale in comparison. Plus I did devstrike you the other day grinding so....

Yeah no thanks.

I don't care about any RB ships enough to need to, and if I want one badly enough I could do 2 regrinds in about 3 weeks if I set my mind to it.

(Given I almost have enough for any of the ships anyways, why would I though?)

I don't like using FXP for RB, particularly given I enjoy grinding lines.

[SMOKE]
2,216 posts
17,119 battles
5 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I have both Hayate and Smaland.  Smaland is the better ship by a good margin, however she's a bit OP, so that's to be expected.  Hayate is a balanced ship.  ....

And tha last sentence quoted is where it stand for why and why not , Hayate is sort of like Salem, both properly balanced, both actually able to perform , but then WG are asking plenty for them and there is good example to measure against, Georgia, Alaska, Thunderer, and others ; you name it ....  are they really up with all the names ... 

[-FUN-]
470 posts
7,704 battles

I like DD play and was considering Hayate and Smalland.

In the end FOMO wins, got the Smalland.

Can alwalys grind more FXP for Hayate. 

• Cool 1

[151ST]
2,996 posts
11,069 battles
13 hours ago, Manacetamol said:

I would say, save/wait for Vampire :cap_popcorn:

I will get Vampire II regardless 😉

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this