Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Drakon233

"Tanking" - a thought experiment

70 comments in this topic

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles

yes i know i fucked up the formatting for the first grid

I don't care

(tanking).thumb.png.a9ab25cfd131087fbee4b41a741823a2.png

• Cool 2

5,688 posts
9,498 battles

If it isn't taking advantage of the ship's armor scheme, Repair Party and penetration mechanics, it ain't tanking. Which part of "bobbing and weaving" is tanking? Sure, it helps because the enemy wastes time attacking a ship that is hard to hit, but not tanking is not tanking. That is literally the definition of "tank" in video games - being able to endure a lot of hits and survive.

Effing liberals, more like blasphemers and infidels. They think long-established definitions in video games are just a game?

Edited by Paladinum

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
7 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

If it isn't taking advantage of the ship's armor scheme, Repair Party and penetration mechanics, it ain't tanking. Which part of "bobbing and weaving" is tanking? Sure, it helps because the enemy wastes time attacking a ship that is hard to hit, but not tanking is not tanking. That is literally the definition of "tank" in video games - being able to endure a lot of hits and survive.

Effing liberals, more like blasphemers and infidels. They think long-established definitions in video games are just a game?

as a bottom right, i take offence to that

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
3 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

as a bottom right, i take offence to that

Inquisition it is, then.

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles

Red Baron armour scheme allows it to classic tank. "bobbing and weaving" isn't tanking per say, rather it is drawing fire and "being a delicious decoy". It is more bait and decoy. The feigned retreat.

The very basis of tanking is to absorb damage/be the sacrifical target while giving your team freedom to concentrate on causing damage.

Edited by dejiko_nyo

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
5 minutes ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Red Baron armour scheme allows it to classic tank. "bobbing and weaving" isn't tanking per say, rather it is drawing fire and "being a delicious decoy". It is more bait and decoy. The feigned retreat.

The very basis of tanking is to absorb damage/be the sacrifical target while giving your team freedom to concentrate on causing damage.

Preach, brother.

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

Preach, brother.

Slams down an illustrated copy of "The Art of War - Sun Tzu"

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
1 minute ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Slams down an illustrated copy of "The Art of War - Sun Tzu"

does it come with popups too?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
11 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Inquisition it is, then.

yes, send a few battlesisters to purge me of my sins, succc the heresy out of me 

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
Just now, Drakon233 said:

does it come with popups too?

Free thanatonium torpedo with every copy.

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
1 minute ago, Drakon233 said:

yes, send a few battlesisters to purge me of my sins, succc the heresy out of me 

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
3 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

No, just 406 mm cannons up your aft.

Edited by Paladinum

[TF44]
529 posts
22,472 battles
14 minutes ago, Drakon233 said:

you need to be mechanized like admiral spire

[SALT]
2,123 posts
10,571 battles

The Great thing about Tanking, is even if you fail. you are also success in diffrent way

c00a14a029.png

1ab56e94a1.png

Edited by humusz
  • Funny 2

[SMOKE]
2,496 posts
18,035 battles

People forget it's not just the ship itself, tanking mean putting oneself out to lure and absorb damage so teammate can be free of the ordeal , that is what tanking need to do for the team , dealing massive damage from outside of the conflict and engagement area , at best , can be summed up as fire cover and fire support but no those are not tanking.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
3 minutes ago, Mechfori said:

People forget it's not just the ship itself, tanking mean putting oneself out to lure and absorb damage so teammate can be free of the ordeal , that is what tanking need to do for the team , dealing massive damage from outside of the conflict and engagement area , at best , can be summed up as fire cover and fire support but no those are not tanking.

if you can understand that when why tf did you spend 4 pages arguing with everyone about it and never practice it in game????

my head feels like implodeing

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
5 minutes ago, Mechfori said:

Try to lure enemy's fire and take damage in a bloody CL.

Try it.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
14 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Try to lure enemy's fire and take damage in a bloody CL.

Try it.

*looks at kahb&kleb

errrrrrrrrr

also i've seen him playing CLs, he didnt try 

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,881 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I disagree completely.  Tanking is drawing the attention of the enemy and being attacked by them, while being able to survive for long periods doing so.  In no way do they have to be hitting you, they just have to be attacking you.  Dodge tanking is a completely viable form of tanking, and in every other game I've played that has a classic tank/damage/healer setup, a big part of the damage reduction of the tanks is avoiding hits entirely.

DD's are most definitely able to tank because of this.  I love the classic dodge tanking in ships like Tashkent and Kleber, but even more than that some of the most fun I have in the game is no respect gunboating in general purpose DD's, and stop/start tanking most of their shots.  Last CB season I 1v1'd a Stalingrad in my Smaland, I did over 90k to him for the kill, he did 2.7k to me - there were quite a few similar encounters as well, it's a very fun way of playing the game.

[SMOKE]
2,496 posts
18,035 battles

And that is why BB are usually the one asked to go tanking 

Edited by Mechfori

5,688 posts
9,498 battles
5 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I disagree completely.

My definition comes from a heavy RPG background, so there is that.

If you don't endure damage (how much you actually take doesn't matter), but still drawing attacks, it still isn't tanking. That is simply being a distraction.

*shrug*

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[TLS]
4,851 posts
21,287 battles
3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

My definition comes from a heavy RPG background, so there is that.

If you don't endure damage, but still drawing attacks, it still isn't tanking. That is simply being a distraction.

*shrug*

Correct. The bait and decoy tactic. Why it is called tanking is it is supposed to absorb small arms fire like.... a tank.... so that your more fragile infantry can advance towards the objective whatever it may be. By right one lucky shot on a paper dd from a large shell should obliterate it, kharba/kleber or not. 

If your support doesn't materialise while you absorb the fire, it's called a suicide.

[MALD]
[MALD]
711 posts
3,937 battles

I indentify myself as a coward who snipe from 24 km and burn everyone down, yet also charged like an idiot madlad.

Where do i sit?

[SMOKE]
2,496 posts
18,035 battles

Well so long a player play to force / lure , made an enemy or enemies direct the attack away from teammate and instead onto the oneself . It's Tanking alright.

Sign in to follow this