Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Reinhard_of_Avercland

Graf Spee

6 comments in this topic

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,018 posts
13,735 battles

How to make this floating pile of confusion work?

• Fat, but crappy citadel protection. At least Devonshire's slimmer hull allows her to wiggle through some BB salvo.
  • Slow.
  • 283mm AP behaves like 203mm. I mean while Scharnhorst can still deal normal pen on angled cruisers, Spee can't.
  • Gets burned very easily.
  • Guns are inaccurate for any but close range combat.

This ship is more or less a low budget Scharnhorst. I have read LWM's review, and she couldn't even sugarcoat this ship apart from stating that the HSF version is economically superior. But what would the experts here say? I mean although LWM's review is mostly on point, she plays on different waters (pun intended).

No I didn't buy this ship, I got her from Odin's dockyard.

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,804 battles

It's a good ship for coop. I haven't played her in random but just want to point out some good things:

- Torps quite good. They are Odin / tirpits Torps with extra range

- guns more accurate than Sharnny and more AP damage

- got a heal!

- German hydro which is better than same tier

- great shortranged secondaries

[HVC]
128 posts
13,901 battles

Thomsen's excellent point may not be covered in LWM's review as competitive play allows for different tactics (note: I haven't read her review). 

I enjoy playing her (relatively successfully) and I'm also one of those who played her in the recent T6 clan battles where she was definitely a very popular choice. Hydro plus large calibre guns plus torps in a zero-CV format made her a versatile CB option.

Upgrades I've got Damage Control (to help with the burns), Aiming Systems (-dispersion) and Steering Gears (if I can dodge something I'm happy). 

My first line was the RN CLs, so maybe it helps that I'm used to playing vulnerable cruisers, but those guns are fun when they work and the torps are hilarious when the situation presents itself. She's master of nothing but kind of flexible/different.

I remember feeling similarly well-underwhelmed when she first entered my port. But give her a chance and you may yet enjoy her. Good luck.

• Cool 1

[SMOKE]
2,511 posts
18,035 battles

She is a beautiful port queen , that's all I can get for a praise .. 

• Funny 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,018 posts
13,735 battles

Well sorry, but any ship can work in Co-Op even without the upgrades & sufficiently-trained captain.

It actually worked well in Newport, but that's it. Although PEF is still better in that Ops.

Sign in to follow this