You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Manic_Wombat

PSA - re buying the Black Massachusetts

13 comments in this topic

[KAMI]
11 posts
11,227 battles

If you buy the Black Massachusetts ( I got mine through the Armory) it comes with a combat mission that gives you 2500 gold on completion.

However, you can only complete the mission in the non-black, or standard Massa!   you know - the one you didn't buy.

I thought this must be a mistake and lodged a support ticket only to be told this correct.

Another great example of customer relations!    Buy a ship and get a mission you cannot  complete!

[LBAS]
110 posts
7,393 battles
1 minute ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

The mission is supposed to be a small compensation if you already have the standard ship.

You would have to be a very “special” type of person to buy the black Mass when you have normal mass already in port.  The same type of person that would respond to random emails from Nigeria i suppose.

• Funny 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,011 posts
13,704 battles
5 minutes ago, Griefmaker said:

You would have to be a very “special” type of person to buy the black Mass when you have normal mass already in port.  The same type of person that would respond to random emails from Nigeria i suppose.

You are right. But if you get the black version of what you already have from the containers, this is what the mission is meant to be.

That's the only positive thing from this weird marketing practice.

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,539 posts
11,934 battles
1 hour ago, AmbushPredator said:

I copped it with the Atlanta too. If I had known I wouldn't have bothered buying it! Bait and Switch marketing, typical WG

I would argue it isn't but that it's just WG being horrible at communication and expectation management.

• Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
35 posts
6,259 battles

Was thinking experiencing the same thing when I bought the JB Black. I was thinking wow free coals also ... Alas it was not to be. Well the word read the fine print applies but in real life those people who didn't read the fine print will still feel cheated. 

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,870 battles

I've seen a lot of people complain about this.  I'm not sure how WG could have done it better.  Maybe write it bigger, or closer to the top? 

On one hand they're at least doing a decent thing and providing something to compensate players who are effectively getting the same ship twice, and thus not really earning a lot from their apparently good container roll.  On the other hand for some reason it seems to confuse people a lot.

They do state it very clearly on every possible option you have to buy the crates or ships, but given the number of people misunderstanding, clearly not clearly enough.  I think they have to keep the sentences small, and put it in large bold writing so it stands out.  Currently it says, somewhere in the middle of the info:

"Along with each black ship, you will receive a special combat mission for her standard version. Five victories with Cossack, Kaga, or Atlanta will bring you 2,500 doubloons. If you win in five battles playing Jean Bart, in addition to 2,500 doubloons you will also receive 25,000 Coal. You can obtain the special combat mission for each ship only once per account during this Black Friday. This mission will be available until January 31, 2021."

Pretty clear if you actually read it, but maybe putting it like this would be better:

Along with each black ship, you will receive a special combat mission for the original, non-black version. Five victories with Cossack, Kaga, or Atlanta will bring you 2,500 doubloons. If you win in five battles playing Jean Bart, in addition to 2,500 doubloons you will also receive 25,000 Coal. You can obtain the special combat mission for each ship only once per account during this Black Friday. This mission will be available until January 31, 2021.

People would probably still miss it though, so I don't know.

• Cool 3

[TF44]
[TF44]
35 posts
6,259 battles

IMO the word original should appear here. Then it's very clear

image.png.fe8b656c259fa7672f0d278af68d3e44.png

Again no foul by WG here. Just leave a bad aftertaste in your mouth.

[KAMI]
530 posts
6,381 battles

Actually the in-game description is much more likely to confuse people. Check out the description for the container in-game.

If you failed to note the lack of "B" behind each ship name listed, or maybe thought they're just shortcutting. It can create the confusion.

[AN-DO]
5 posts
7,129 battles

When I transferred my WoT account from NA to SEA they told us to set up an account on SEA and try t out. We were told the accounts would be merged. Needless to say they never did the merge and we all got stuck with hundreds of dollars of premium tanks on alt accounts that we never use. WG kept promising to try but 3 years and nothing. They did admit to the Department of Fair Trading that their communications were "misleading" but that basically anyone who transferred from an unplayable merged NA server to the SEA server could suck it. They did transfer for some but most got nothing except excuses of "we can't" or "We don't know how/why they did it". I really don't know how much of this type of thing is "Poor communication" and how much is "Predatory Practices". Judge for yourself but they will be waiting a very long time before they see anymore of my money.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,459 posts
12,783 battles

A lot of people got caught on that. You had to know about the compensation, otherwise it's too easy to miss the absence of the "B" in the description of the combat mission.

That said, the price is already 30% off. If you don't have a coupon, it's a nice way to pick up some cool looking premium ships.

The mission is there because people complained that the black option should be a camo, not a new ship. From the viewpoint of the owners of Atago, Cossack, etc, this is reasonable, but the point of the event from WG perspective is to sell ships not camo, so...