Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LordTyphoon

Retirement

16 comments in this topic

[REPOI]
1,104 posts
21,736 battles

Since childhood I have always been into WWII-era warships like the nerd I am, and when I found this game in 2014 I was thrilled. First I played only on weekends, then on some weeknights, and eventually it became a daily ritual. When COVID hit in March, I started streaming the game. I'd play for 8-10 hours on most days of the week - there was nothing else to do. In July, I stopped completely and decided it was time to retire from the game. 

I have always thought of gaming as a very cheap form of entertainment (at least as a function of time). My logic was this (all prices in AUD):

- Night out with friends: ~$60 per round of drinks. Each round goes down after 30 minutes. Probably will pay for 2-3 rounds each night. 
- Scuba diving: ~$150 per dive including airfill, transportation, boat costs, equipment hire, 2 hours of entertainment.
- Movies: ~$25 per movie, not including popcorn and drinks costs. About 3 hours of entertainment. 
- Date: ~Prob $100 per date if you're paying and if you're not doing something too expensive.
- Boat Fishing Trip: ~$220 for 6-hours
- World of Warships: $120 for discounted 365-day premium account, which comes to ~$0.34 per day. Each day I probably played a minimum of 3 hours at my peak, so that's $0.11 per hr. Of course there's the occasional premium ship that I bought, but there weren't too many and at most this would blow up the per-day cost to $1 per day. 

I guess this makes the game look great.

But I've only started to realise the biggest cost - time. Time I'll never get back. When I'm 60 years old, I don't think I'll be happy looking back and finding myself having spent far too many hours in from of a computer screen blowing up pixel ships and getting upset whenever MM dealt me a disappointing team, or when I become a victim to the Fun-&-Engaging detonation mechanic. I've played 14,577 random battles on the Asia server. If the average game is 15 mins long, that's 3,644 hours. A person in Australia works for 1,840 hours in a full time job every year - so in my 5 years of playing World of Warships, that's a whole full time job I could have had for 2 years. This is not even counting Clan Battles, my time on the NA server, Super Test responsibilities, and time in port in the game. 

I've had a blast, met some real cool teammates (and some bad ones too), but it is now time to move on. This game has served its purpose in my life. 

Where to from here?

I won't be gone from the game. These days, I still log in to the Discord of REPOI and we still catch up once a week. 

Soon, I might be joining another clan and play for fun. No more clan battles, no more competitive games. I'll probably play the game once per week, and no more than 2 hrs at a time.

I've recently found joy from (getting reported for) playing Tier 1. 

769317722_WorldofWarships13_11_202010_30_25PM.thumb.png.b0377aa3e9127a854fe2956a138d0930.png

But no more Super Testing, no more Clan Battles, and no more streaming from me. There will never be enough rewards, there will never be enough coal or free XP, and there will always be new ships added to the game. I will never be able to keep up with the grind to make sure I've got every ship. Time to call it a day. 

Maybe I'll see you around from time to time. 

Edited by LordTyphoon
  • Cool 13
  • Thanks 3

[CLAY]
Alpha Tester
1,153 posts
7,963 battles

It is all about balance.

Remembering that this (WOWS) is for entertainment not work.

I play when I have nothing better to do (if the surf is crap).

If you are looking for a clan just to kick back in by the way look us up "Clayton's" the clan you join when you couldn't be bothered with clan battles or training or have to be in divisions, so on and so on.....

Enjoy your retirement :cap_like:

[SALT]
2,122 posts
10,571 battles

More and more people, join the Burnout club.

Willkomen,  here... hast some kookies

[BONED]
780 posts
9,545 battles

Good luck with your other ventures!

I agree it fits into the entertainment category, and as long as it stays there then its fine.

[151ST]
3,520 posts
11,867 battles

Sorry to hear @LordTyphoon but all the best!

Sadly a common story from ANZ folks, I assume the same in many other areas.

I wonder if WG have considered player burnout into their development cycle and content release schedule?

I know I've harped on this a number of times but there is such a thing as too much content.

And World of Warships IMO does it in all the wrong ways.

They just bombard us with event and dockyard one after the other; while having very little quality end-game.

[insert Research Bureau rant about prestige cosmetics]

Anyways... All the best mate, will no doubt see you around.

• Cool 4

[BLESS]
1,439 posts
12,707 battles

WoWs is a hobby. It's important that you think the time spent on it as worthwhile, even if it is not - and most hobbies aren't - productive. Hobbies bring enjoyment, satisfaction, and stress relief.

This game, being f2p, using a lot of psychological traps to make you play longer than you should, and spend more than you should. For me "retirement" (and I'm am retired from this btw) means playing on your own terms, no more progression and no more new ships. Just in to play a few rounds for whatever fun it brings.

• Cool 3

[CLAY]
3,209 posts
14,089 battles
5 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Sorry to hear @LordTyphoon but all the best!

Sadly a common story from ANZ folks, I assume the same in many other areas.

I wonder if WG have considered player burnout into their development cycle and content release schedule?

I know I've harped on this a number of times but there is such a thing as too much content.

And World of Warships IMO does it in all the wrong ways.

They just bombard us with event and dockyard one after the other; while having very little quality end-game.

[insert Research Bureau rant about prestige cosmetics]

Anyways... All the best mate, will no doubt see you around.

I think WG suffers due to limited time events.

If they had more permanent events, people could complete them at their own pace, and WG would not have to continually release so much.

Yeah, the hard core player who has done everything might miss the constant flow, but my betting is that they’ll take a break, then come back with the next content patch, refreshed and ready to go. And newer players wouldn’t feel so daunted.

But, of course, the problem there is that short term events which drive FOMO is where most of the money is made. Give people time to complete stuff, and they won’t buy stuff.

Which is why I wish WoWS would adapt the game game into some sort of subscription based around premium time.

But then WG would need a completely different marketing approach.

• Cool 3

[LBAS]
1,561 posts

rather than retirement, I simply just move on to other better game.

but man... 60!?

I thought I'm old but you on other level...

Edited by PGM991

[-CAT-]
3,368 posts
13,471 battles

Indeed, time is something that we can not turn back. Once time is lost, it's gone for good.

Time teaches us 2 lessons though.
The most painful lesson is regret. Once done, its done. All we can do is look back and remember what can be / could be done better.
The most rewarding lesson that no one can teach is experience. You can make better decitions moving forward.

All the best and the best of luck @LordTyphoon. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[MRI]
3,780 posts
16,731 battles

You sound like you are getting burnt out. Play to have fun and take a break if you need to.

For me, I have long made peace with myself that I am not going to get every "free" ship in the game whether it be via Steel or Research Points or whatever. I have already completed my goal of completing all my Unique Upgrade missions so now I am just chilling and taking things slow. Spend less time on WoWs and more on other stuff.

I know it is hard to go a bit more casual due to FOMO. I don't like it either that WoWs has almost back-to-back time-gated events to compel people to spent their time playing WoWs and only WoWs, but I have long come to terms with that fact and let go of the game.

14 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

WoWs is a hobby. It's important that you think the time spent on it as worthwhile, even if it is not - and most hobbies aren't - productive. Hobbies bring enjoyment, satisfaction, and stress relief.

Indeed. WoWs is a hobby and as stated most hobbies aren't very productive. So it is pretty incomparable to compare hobbies to working hours, because hobbies are for relaxation and enjoyment. I certainly wouldn't want to spend my free time working a second job if I can avoid it, even though that is on paper a way more productive use of my time.

The point is WoWs is first and foremost a game. If one has gotten to the point that you are comparing WoWs to working hours, I think it is safe to say you are no longer enjoying the game. Take a break from WoWs and do other things.

• Cool 4

[AN-DO]
732 posts
10,748 battles

Your constant presence will be missed mate. As you know there is a retirement slot reserved for you at AN-DO if you want it. I feel a bit the same in that I'm a bit burnt out. I certainly play a lot less than I used to. I still enjoy the game, for me the best part in hanging out in discord with clan mates and the odd hanger on like @S4pp3R :Smile_trollface: I have way less interest in any stats and really just like to have a few games here and there to relax. You're right to want to enjoy things in the realwork more though, it might cost me $250 per flight hour in operational costs which is way more than WoWS could ever come close to, but as fun as WoWS can be it also wont come close to the level of joy I get from flying. I'm sure it's the same for you and diving. I don't have time to fly every day though, so easily accessed hobbies like WoWS serve a good purpose in that regard. I think you probably just need to take a bit of time away from the game and come back as a casual player like me know. I think @Thyaliad summed it up nicely saying its best to make peace with the fact you wont get all the ships etc. Basically just play the ships you have fun in, or do things like when you deliberately take the worst ships into ranked. The pressure is off, you're just there to have fun and see what you can manage to pull off. I'm glad you played plenty of WoWS in lockdown though, TyphoonTube gave me something to watch then too when there was nothing else to do :Smile_teethhappy:
All the best with whatever you do though mate

[REPOI]
1,104 posts
21,736 battles

@Thyaliad I used money and time to show how I feel that this game can be wasteful, it was not meant to compare the game with working hours at all. I can see how you got the idea though. 

Point is, a lot of time has been spent on this game, and unless I am 95%-100% enjoying my time in this game in the future, I will not be playing. And there arent many things that I 95%-100% enjoy every time. 

Edited by LordTyphoon

[151ST]
3,520 posts
11,867 battles
37 minutes ago, LordTyphoon said:

@Thyaliad I used money and time to show how I feel that this game can be wasteful, it was not meant to compare the game with working hours at all. I can see how you got the idea though. 

Point is, a lot of time has been spent on this game, and unless I am 95%-100% enjoying my time in this game in the future, I will not be playing. And there arent many things that I 95%-100% enjoy every time. 

Sunday Roast

Karaage Chicken

Cheese

G+T on a hot summer's day...

[REPOI]
1,104 posts
21,736 battles
33 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

G+T on a hot summer's day...

No no, Canadian Club & Dry is the first choice

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this