You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Moggytwo

Choosing the ships that are right for you

9 comments in this topic

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,590 posts
12,964 battles

I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, so I thought I'd post a thread on a subject that very much effects how I play the game every day.

We all have different strengths and weaknesses in the game.  Some of us are more aware than others, some are better at aiming, some are better at abusing concealment mechanics to their advantage, some are good at reading the minimap and calculating the best place to position to make the enemy team vulnerable well ahead of time.  We also all have ship types, and more importantly sub-types, that really suit our strengths.

I think it's important for all of us to work out what we are genuinely good at as players, and what we are not so good at.  This then enables us to pick the ships that are suited to us and that will be most enjoyable and successful when we play them.  Conversely, it allows us to avoid those ships we simply won't be able to maximise the strengths of, and likely won't enjoy.

I know for me, I tend to be very good at abuse of concealment mechanics and analysis of positioning.  I'm pretty decent at aiming, but not the best.  I'm okay with torps, but feel they are a secondary rather than primary weapon.  What this means for me is I tend to be best at DD's with their complete reliance on concealment tactics, and in particular gunboats rather than torp boats.  I am pretty decent at BB's, but only mobile BB's that rely on outpositioning the enemy (using my strength of decent positioning analysis on the fly), rather than BB's that sit in a more static position and rely more on very high level aiming skills for success.  I tend to be pretty terrible at cruisers (as my win rate will attest - DD's/CV's/BB's are all within a percent, while cruisers are 7% below the other three classes for me), and this is because of my play style that leads to success in DD's does not transfer well to cruisers, and leads to me putting myself in positions that would be perfectly fine in DD's, but are far too aggressive for cruisers.  My positioning analysis also leads me to be pretty good at CV's, but once again only specific types of CV's due to my own particular strengths and weaknesses in the class.

What this all means is that I know in advance, just by looking at the stats of a ship (and then usually confirmed by watching others play a ship), which ships I will enjoy and be successful in.  This enables me to be quite restrained in which ships I look to work towards, and which I can just ignore completely.  I personally find this to hugely increase my enjoyment of the game.  As a few examples, I know that ships like DM, GK, and Yamato all are completely counter to my skill set, so I have never worked towards any of these ships.  Other lines like the Russian and RN DD lines, the gunboat focused premium EU DD's, mobile BB's with small calibre guns for their tier like Odin and Borg, US CV's like Saipan and Midway, all maximise my strengths while minimising my weaknesses, so are great ships for me to play, and I love them all.

So for all of you, I think reflecting on what you are good at in the game, and what particular ship characteristics really enhance your own skills, will help you make the right decisions on which ships to work towards or purchase, to maximise your enjoyment of the game.  Having said all that, perhaps you just don't care about any of that, and you just want to try every ship and are not so fussed on whether you are any good at a particular ship or not (which is fine of course, we're all playing to enjoy the game).

Could you analyse your own abilities a bit more thoroughly, to better work out the ships that are right for you?  Or do you feel pretty comfortable with your choices in the game?

• Thanks 4

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,990 posts
29,362 battles

Haven't done a lot of PvP lately and had a run of bad luck last time I did... but...

For me the ship I do best in is the one I get most frustrated with when someone else is playing it and they DON'T do well.

DDs.

The current meta actually favours DD play! OUTRAGE! CONTROVERSY!

If people want to sit back and snipe, you have fewer ships engaging at close range - fewer radar botes at close range and normally only other DDs to deal with - this is especially true on domination maps. If you have some means of dealing with the enemy DDs, or, shock and horror, actually get some support in doing so... you get to spot control a lot of the map - which can include cap zones.

Anyone can zoom around in planes, anyone can BB snipe from the back of the map and anyone can drive in circles in a cruiser waiting for either the DDs or BBs to push...

But not everyone can stay alive long enough in a DD to have an impact - or smoke up your allies and spot for them while holding your fire - or hold your nerve and leave your AA off when planes are hunting you - or bait the enemy radar botes into popping radar so you can monitor their cooldowns...

Not saying I don't enjoy cruiser and BB play... just when the chips are down, you'll find me in a DD.

• Cool 1

[ARRR]
982 posts
14,467 battles

I'm a bit the same way Max. 

I'm crap in cruisers and cv so I'm rarely found there. Enjoy BBs and getting better in them but the fall-back is always out front!

• Cool 1

[MRI]
4,140 posts
18,658 battles

I think I kinda fall in between the two. I have a good feeling for what I am good or bad at, but I still want to try different ships for different playstyles because variety is the spice of life.

In terms of Premium purchases I think I am pretty happy with most of my choices. The only real regret I have was getting the Yuudachi lol. 

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
910 posts
22,572 battles

I prefer

• armor and angling
  • high alpha and citadels
  • great range
  • slow burn / lazy play (hence Sloth) but having the new US BB line is just too much. (I could handle the slow speed but the slow reload coupled with next to crap accuracy)
  • usable secondaries
  • with torpedoes if applicable

From all that you could say I'm at home with BB's ... large cruisers or battle cruisers do also apply.

[HVC]
128 posts
14,257 battles

I was building confidence with CVs before The Rework; but I struggle to stay awake with the present system. I am having another dabble of late though, just in case...

I first leveled up in the RN CL line, since when I've discovered I have little idea how to play a CA?! Though strangely the Graf Spee and I like each other (anomaly). 

I thought I was decent at BBs. I found out I'm not (though I can create some havoc with a secondary build if that suits the particular game). 

I initially thought DDs were a suicide pact. They were my worst class. Then I got frustrated with that and applied myself and I'd now call myself a DD main. I'm far less comfortable in gun DDs (though I thoroughly respect & admire what that guy in an Okhotnik did to my Acasta this morning), so torp DDs seem to be my natural home. I've recently added the Somers and the Gearing to my fleet and it's hilarious fun keeping reds cowering at the back of the map. 

@Moggytwo, where you've got the BB/positional awareness that I can recognise in others but don't possess enough of myself, I seem to be doing well (and improving) at predictive torp firing. Enough that it's sometimes embarassing when torps I've fired on a hunch so long ago that I've just about forgotten them suddenly devastate some poor red sod. lt seems weird that I can't transfer the thinking between classes, but it is what it is I guess.

So there's one proviso I have re the idea of recognizing and playing to your strengths: strengths can be situation and time limited. At the time when I shifted my focus to DDs, DDs were by FAR my worst class. If I hadn't decided to fix that, I'd never have found out how much fun I can have in a DD. 

[LNA]
2,224 posts
17,133 battles

I can play any ship, but i prefer CV. People call me jack of all trades , master of detona:Smile_trollface:tion 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

40 posts
17,460 battles

About me, I am good at gunnery but still struggle with positioning. That's why I mostly play BigBoobs, dpm CAs, super cruisers. Not yet mastered the art of island hugging :Smile_sad:

[SMOKE]
3,385 posts
19,985 battles

From a efficiency pov , yes , but from a gaming enjoyment pov no. I do not come to play just so I had the figure and numbers. I want good fun and the ship that is right might not be the ship that is right !