Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

An exemplary BB - An exemplary BB experience

19 comments in this topic

5,695 posts
9,510 battles

Disclaimers: Personal experience and opinions alert.

Alsace is, perhaps, the best BB experience I've ever had. An exemplary example of how most BBs potentially should, be in this game.

The entire line is relatively gimmick-free, which I cannot praise enough. Well, relatively, since they do have something that no other BB line has - Speed Boost, but other than that, nothing feels off when playing them, besides the on-brand French BB thing of quad turrets. On top of that, their shells are also gimmick-free... I think. I feel like her shells are neither too fast not too slow, which is amazing. Even trying to shoot at another BB at max range wouldn't require some extreme leading like US BBs, and I enjoy that. This strong vanilla flavor is exemplary thing number one.

The French CRs were also relatively vanilla, until WG nerfed their RoF and added MBRB. Basically, the French CR and BB lines are very vanilla comparing to the Royal Gimmick Navy, being riddled with gimmicks - annoying gimmicks. It's like comparing a tub of chocolate-dotted vanilla ice cream with one that has blueberry, matcha, sea salt and chili pepper flavors all in one. Topped with bacon too.

This gimmick is undoubtedly useful, for I can relocate myself quickly, either to avoid being focused on or getting to a flank.

Quad guns -> wonky dispersion (still, Ludenderp loses to Alsace in this aspect), but when it hurts, it hurts good. "Good" for me because that is damage for my economic boni. 381 mm won't overpen too much, that's good! 

Gun range? Pretty much meh in this rather stupid meta. Shotgunning is a thing in this ships - 12 barrels, even DDs would feel the weight of a full AP salvo. But that short range forces me to stay close with the team mates, and more BBs should do thatThis relatively short main gun range is exemplary thing number two.

Protection, adequate. Nothing is unordinary for this French girl, except a pretty scuffed version of turtleback. 50 mm? Well, I'd take that over a flat vertical belt that gets easily pierced when I go CQC. I angle sharply, I live, I broadside, I die. Simple. A rule of thumbs for basically any BB/CR play too. This decent protection (with the thin turtleback) is exemplary thing number three.

Secondary? Well I did write a thread about secondary power - GK vs Repub. While the German have the turtleback and the pen, the French have the number of barrels and the range. Though I don't build secondary for the ship, I still see that she has strong secondary when I need it. This relatively strong secondary suite is exemplary thing number four.

When I play this ships recently, and with the advent of 150+ BBs in queue, I feel the urge to focus down red BBs instead. That, of course, doesn't always go as planned, because most other BBs have better range, esp. the Yamero, the Musushi, the Conq and the Thund.

Overall, Alsace is a very reliable and well-balanced BB, and as I have stated earlier, is an exemplary BB that more and more future BBs should be more like - less kiting/"sniping", more tanking and brawling.

I want to attach a screenshot, but I know people will mock me no matter what I pick, so screw them.

shot-20_11.17_22_05.38-0232.thumb.jpg.9c0fe81b4e953b2e8557193ef0824bd9.jpg

Citadelled and killed a Small-length (oh yeah) and complimented the Smaland in my team to death (oh yeah). Also me and the Bourgogne were in top 2. We were... doing our jobs.

PS. Seattle. How does one even play that ship? She feels like a sidegrade of Cleve!

Tier 9 has some really good ships, I have some - Roon, Brindisi, Buffalo, Neptune, Fletcher, Z-46, Kitakaze, FdG, Alsace, Donskhoi. Don't have Iowa or Ibuki, but I'm sure they do well enough. Seattle though, holy poly guacamoly.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 2

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,728 battles

I wouldn't call that ship balanced. I ran into a div of 2 of that baguette, and both of them spammed HE throughout the game. Bringing Scharnhorst was a mistake....

Seattle? Skip it or leave it. That's the speed bump on the US CL line imo.

188 posts
638 battles

For some odd reason, BB players other than Thunderer tend to rush towards my Alsace instead of kiting away. This actually makes me wonder if extending the secondary range is worth it. The main gun accuracy is meh even with Aiming System 1.

Otherwise, she's a good bote.

Edited by Admiral_Helena

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,799 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Helena said:

For some odd reason, BB players other than Thunderer tend to rush towards my Alsace instead of kiting away. This actually makes me wonder if extending the secondary range is worth it. The main gun accuracy is meh even with Aiming System 1.

French secondaries on Alsace Richelieu and JB have really really low pen so I don't think it is worth it. Republic has bigger secondaries guns so she's a maybe.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,077 posts

An Alsace secondary build works wonders in Co-op.

She can actually brawl pretty well if played right.....

[NCOTS]
503 posts
12,665 battles

Imo French 15 inch guns are the overall best 15 inchers, good pen +alpha and high velocity (too poor to have a taste at Roma).

Grinding Alsace(I got her post nerf) was very comfortable, I can punish cruisers reliably and switch to the trusty HE whenever I saw a bow in sniper.

I even abandoned my Iowa grind and switch to Alsace because of the pure fun 12 guns bring. But the Repub was a bit disappointing.

3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Seattle. How does one even play that ship

Not sure which evil genius design her, the firing angles are so bad that I think the ship was there to make people use free XP

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
188 posts
18,840 battles

Seattle: (-)

• Guns don't fire fast enough
  • Bad firing angles on the rear turrets
  • What armor? Then again she's a CL but amongst CL's that's still on the low end not bad as the Neptune though but that thing has smoke and torps
  • Guns are not small enough to benefit from Captain skills BFT and AFT
  • She's a long ship.

(+)

• can lob shells behind islands
  • usable AA + defensive AA consumable
  • radar / sonar
  • good concealment

-------------------------------------

I love the Alsace, she's a good BB ... can also be built for 2ndary.

Republique on the other hand is like a T10 Gascogne with bigger guns

Still saving steel for the Bourgogne or Shikishima.

[MRI]
3,794 posts
16,860 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

The 100mm secondaries have very poor pen, so they are little more than firestarters. They can't even pen the hulls of high tier DDs even. You can take IFHE but that costs 4 points and halves the fire chance.

I used to run a Secondary build with IFHE on my JB and Alsace and it was hella fun, but after the IFHE nerf I am not sure if I can recommend it, even to other Secondary-build enthusiasts.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,158 posts
23,929 battles

I like threads about the finest of the flavours.

alsace.png

[SMOKE]
2,509 posts
18,035 battles

Cannot blame anyone doing HE Spam these days when the game range out, player angle, and simply AP won't work. BB included.

Other than German 150 , really very few high tier secondaries can hope to consistently pen, you really just aiming for it to be defensive against cruiser and DD and more for fire starting in a brawl.

Alsace is a good ship overall , I like it and it's a beautiful hull overall .. got to look good right !

[151ST]
3,556 posts
11,949 battles

I'm not sure how I missed this thread over a month ago... 😕

My only issue with Alsace is the range; not that I'm opposed to 20km at T9 but after Richelieu it's a bit odd.

These types of range inconsistencies in various lines really annoy me.

Mogami having less range than Myoko for example...

A little variation is ok, but going backwards when going up tiers is something I dislike.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, Paladinum said:

Tier 9 has some really good ships, I have some - Roon, Brindisi, Buffalo, Neptune, Fletcher, Z-46, Kitakaze, FdG, Alsace, Donskhoi. Don't have Iowa or Ibuki, but I'm sure they do well enough. Seattle though, holy poly guacamoly.

Agreed! T9 is filled with a lot of decent ships...

Iowa is definitely up there but I've found her to be one of the least tanky funnily enough.

Really enjoy playing Iowa though.

Ibuki is a rough one though. She is just fragile enough while being an open water HE spammer that she can do well or horribly entirely dependent on how well enemy BBs can aim combined with how tight their shell groupings are...

[LBAS]
2,062 posts
3,738 battles
On 11/18/2020 at 12:09 PM, sfcgx3 said:

French secondaries on Alsace Richelieu and JB have really really low pen so I don't think it is worth it. Republic has bigger secondaries guns so she's a maybe.

they burn alot.... and accurate, the burn damage sometimes is higher than raw damage itself. Richi is actually bad because the secondary postition, Alsace and Repu is the real one. combined with turtle back, they are strong againts any AP ship.... yet stupidly vulnerable to HE spammer.

the things is when German BB feel like Doppelsoldner with hard hitting big blade, the French BB feel like Fencer, agile and sharp. both are vulnerable to HE but strong againts AP.

French BB is actually a bit OP, DD and CV is supposedly BB weakness yet, they have no problem againts it due to Speed and AA. back in the day Republiqe AA is making Montana AA build joke....

Republique is need one thing, ITS CALLED anti sub Helicopter.... is that H stand for Heli or Hentai or HOHOHOHO?

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,799 battles
13 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

they burn alot.... and accurate, the burn damage sometimes is higher than raw damage itself. Richi is actually bad because the secondary postition, Alsace and Repu is the real one. combined with turtle back, they are strong againts any AP ship.... yet stupidly vulnerable to HE spammer.

the things is when German BB feel like Doppelsoldner with hard hitting big blade, the French BB feel like Fencer, agile and sharp. both are vulnerable to HE but strong againts AP.

French BB is actually a bit OP, DD and CV is supposedly BB weakness yet, they have no problem againts it due to Speed and AA. back in the day Republiqe AA is making Montana AA build joke....

Republique is need one thing, ITS CALLED anti sub Helicopter.... is that H stand for Heli or Hentai or HOHOHOHO?

The issue is french AA being very fragile against damage. I once was in JB with 5% AA left and CV had absolutely no fear of me. This got worse when there are more Thunderers 

188 posts
638 battles

I think the AP is ok. Just need the right range to make it work.

shot-20_12.25_11_33.49-0250.thumb.jpg.49209f7bb5d2f2156fe7484f79597086.jpg

The gun range is only a real issue when I encounter Thunderer. Thunderer should never have both accuracy & long range (I know Slava also has both things, but literally every T10 has at least 1 Thunderer).

[BLESS]
1,462 posts
12,809 battles
On 12/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, S4pp3R said:

Mogami having less range than Myoko for example.

Last time I checked Mogami, Atago, and Myoko were all 15.6 km.

[SMOKE]
2,509 posts
18,035 battles

Myoko got 15.6, Mogami got 15.7, and Atago got 15.8 ... Myoko and Atago need no module to get to the range, Mogami need a Type8Mod.2 module to get to that , else it stay 14.2 with stock module, none of them enough in todays high tier game and none can mount range upgrade, those famed IJN torp had long been laughing matter ( even those on their DD )

[151ST]
3,556 posts
11,949 battles
11 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Last time I checked Mogami, Atago, and Myoko were all 15.6 km.

8 hours ago, Mechfori said:

Myoko got 15.6, Mogami got 15.7, and Atago got 15.8 ... Myoko and Atago need no module to get to the range, Mogami need a Type8Mod.2 module to get to that , else it stay 14.2 with stock module, none of them enough in todays high tier game and none can mount range upgrade, those famed IJN torp had long been laughing matter ( even those on their DD )

Yes you guys are right, I forgot that had changed...

It used to be:

Myoko 16

Mogami 15.1ish

Ibuki 16.5

Sign in to follow this