You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

I'm not convinced smaland is the best use of 2m fxp

17 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
391 posts
9,166 battles

Is she really a not buying you will regret for life bote?

2m price tag is just too much.

Edited by sfcgx3

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,353 battles

Need I remind you what you put in the first place? 😛

What you are asking now is exactly what I am considering: Is the 2 million worth it? From the input so far, it is a very, very, very specialized boat that performs in certain modes but suffers from issues in other modes. 

Edited by dejiko_nyo

6,137 posts
10,597 battles

Sure she is better than Halland, or at least, a good sidegrade to Halland. But no ship in the game is worth 2 mil xp. 1,5 mil is already pushing it. 1,7 mil top.

Speaking of 2 mil FXP ship...

Hayate: sweating profusely

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,590 posts
12,964 battles

She is definitely a bit too strong, and deserves to be removed, however she is still a DD, and being successful in her is very dependent on the ability of the captain to get the performance out of her.  She also has to pick her moments to open fire wisely, as she wants to farm for extended periods, but those situations to do this can be challenging to find, especially when you are trying to play her in a counter-DD fashion, which means you have to set aside farming for that time.  The inability to just smoke up when the opportunity presents and farm, then go straight back to counter-DD work, does provide a few challenges in randoms in particular.  She is more flexible in competitive modes with their lower team numbers.

If you aren't a confident or competent DD player, she isn't worth getting.  If you don't like open water gunboats that use positioning and speed juking rather than dodge tanking for mitigation, or if you don't like counter-DD work around caps, then you won't like Smaland.

Also, 2m free XP means different things to different players.  I try to maximise my free XP returns by being smart about when I use which modifiers on which ships, and because of this I tend to have oodles of free XP.  I have over 3m now, I usually only play about 80-120 battles a month, and I have every free XP ship except Ägir (so that means I have both Smaland and Hayate).  I tend to be pretty successful in terms of average XP returns and wins, so that helps of course.  For me it's a no-brainer, even if I am not sure if I will play the ship much.  For others that may be a massive investment of their game time and focus, so it has to be really worth it for them. 

Really only you know how much effort would be required for you personally to get Smaland, and if her playstyle suits the way you like to play DD's.  Balance those factors in your head, and make the best decision for you personally.  Don't forget though, there will always be other ships in the game you love playing, that you already have, or that may be easier to get, so try not to be too much of a victim to FOMO.

[KAMI]
568 posts
6,776 battles

Its a Halland with 2 less tubes, and lower range torps. But you get radar and good guns for rolling over DDs.

Not many DDs have radar.

Torps also can't do much if you keep getting zoned by the other DD.

There is certainly an uncommon playstyle on offer, if it fits your taste. And I'll probs end up spending the FXP on it.

[LNA]
2,224 posts
17,133 battles
49 minutes ago, sfcgx3 said:

I mean if you are going to play CW , Smaland can be a good choice to counter Halland spam that infest it. It is also hella fun when you face DD that have the ???? on their face when you radar them.
Radar DD are rare, people will not see it coming. Not many people have Black, Pan asian DD or Smaland. On that note, remember that you will soon no longer have access to Smaland. While other ships can be played later. It is a matter of priority. I'm saving up to Smaland myself, simply because i won't get to play her later if i so regret.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,817 posts
29,639 battles
5 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

it depends on your POV tbh

it's the strongest DD overall in the game right now in T10, and a lot of comp teams might use it, not to mention it's not half bad in randoms

but if you don't have all the other strong ships out there or have a strong urge to collect everything

.... eh, maybe not 

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
5 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

4mtzug.jpg

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,182 posts
7,408 battles

Buyer beware:

being a removed ship that is NON RUSSIAN, and already widely considered OP, it will likely be shelved by the WG rebalancing/buffing/nerfing dept, and fall further and further behind in power creep.

Never to see a dev look over it again as that is considered a waste of WG money.

40 posts
17,460 battles

Just grab Smaland because she will be removed soon.

Maybe at this moment, you found it boring/doesn't fit your playstyle (despite the fact that many players found it OP) but years later, you may regret not buying her.

My rule of grinding FE/coal ships: get the one that has been released sooner/or likely to be removed soon. You can use coupon but i'd rather save it for steel ships.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,182 posts
7,408 battles
1 minute ago, Jack_Sparrow_95 said:

Just grab Smaland because she will be removed soon.

Maybe at this moment, you found it boring/doesn't fit your playstyle (despite the fact that many players found it OP) but years later, you may regret not buying her.

My rule of grinding FE/coal ships: get the one that has been released sooner/or likely to be removed soon. You can use coupon but i'd rather save it for steel ships.

Years later you will browse past it in your carousel of many many ships and remember you even have it, because some time after you got it, several patches and updates went by, new lines came out, new prem ships, and poor 2m free xp smaland never got any buffs.

40 posts
17,460 battles
4 minutes ago, Mudpheart said:

Years later you will browse past it in your carousel of many many ships and remember you even have it, because some time after you got it, several patches and updates went by, new lines came out, new prem ships, and poor 2m free xp smaland never got any buffs.

And luckily not any nerfs on Smaland also? Think positive dude!

From my knowledge, there has been no major buff/nerf on high tier pre/spec ships since they were released (except plating neft on Smolensk due to how broken she was), beside gameplay changes like CV rework, IFHE rework (which you can't assume as a nerf or buff on any ships). All T9/10 pre/spec ships are still doing solid on their own (even some ships considered as OP), nothing is fall short behind.

13 minutes ago, Mudpheart said:

Years later you will browse past it in your carousel of many many ships and

...realize that you missed the chance to get her. Why I didn't try to get her while I still can? Why..?"

The feeling when you regret for not doing sth is the worst feeling.

[TLS]
5,518 posts
22,353 battles
25 minutes ago, Mudpheart said:

Years later I will not remember anything on the carousel and be playing DOOM CROSSING ETERNAL with Isabelle instead.

[LBAS]
Super Tester_
2,148 posts

tenor.gif?itemid=15168167

Let it sit in your port and rust if you don't enjoy playing it.....

I know all of my FXP ships are...

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
910 posts
22,572 battles

2M FreeXp is a steep price for a ship.

Better be sure that you want it and need it.

Ask yourself this: is it really essential for you? is it really needed for CW or ranked? does it conform to game traits? And finally, can you handle it?

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
2,182 posts
7,408 battles
1 hour ago, Jack_Sparrow_95 said:

And luckily not any nerfs on Smaland also? Think positive dude!

From my knowledge, there has been no major buff/nerf on high tier pre/spec ships since they were released (except plating neft on Smolensk due to how broken she was), beside gameplay changes like CV rework, IFHE rework (which you can't assume as a nerf or buff on any ships). All T9/10 pre/spec ships are still doing solid on their own (even some ships considered as OP), nothing is fall short behind.

...realize that you missed the chance to get her. Why I didn't try to get her while I still can? Why..?"

The feeling when you regret for not doing sth is the worst feeling.

ah yes the infamous reworks.

captains skills reworks, how many more of those in your crystal ball, maybe some new skills make smaland weaker?.

how many new equipment reworks, with things like subs coming in your crystal ball, make smaland equipment less powerful?.

who knows, except that smaland WILL be left behind in any reworks/ rebalances/ buffs etc.

The isu130 in WoT is a classic for this. It was so far left behind, they didn't even code hit boxes on 3/4 of the newer tanks that came for years afterwards into the game.

And when the damn thing DID hit, it couldn't penetrate ANYTHING AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Many many tanks like this.

WoWS is following the same business model, perhaps even worse, selling tier 10s, WoT has never sold a tier 10 premium, from memory.

How many tier 10s to be sold in future crystal ball will out power the Smaland who will not be changed from current coding?.

Heck they might even forget to code it to combat subs. Like they did to ISU130.