You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
URAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Does the normalization check repeat after penetrating the first layer?

18 comments in this topic

2 posts
3,097 battles

Ok so the wows Armor Penetration model goes like this
First there is the overmatch check if shell overmatches it doesn't go through the autobounce check
Second there's the autobounce check which calculates the chance of bouncing a shell if the angle is within the boundaries of the ricochet angles
Finally there's the normalization which reduces the shell's angle of contact after the autobounce.

I know the first two repeats but idk if the normalization check repeats.

[151ST]
3,537 posts
11,918 battles

The step after normalisation is a penetration check.

Once the shell has penetrated, that means the shell has armed and detonated, thus no further checks will be applied.

Generally if you get an Overpen ribbon, she shell has gone through the whole ship.

I hope that answers your question.

(This is my understanding)

There are some odd results around citadel hits, it appears you can get pen AND a citadel ribbon from one shell, I haven't tested or looked into it though.

Edited by S4pp3R

[-CAT-]
3,392 posts
13,561 battles
2 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

There are some odd results around citadel hits, it appears you can get pen AND a citadel ribbon from one shell, I haven't tested or looked into it though.

You get both penetration and citadel ribbon with 1 shell.

It was only updated this year. I'll look for the patch notes. Give me some time t look.

Edit:

I found it. It was implemented 2 years ago.

image.thumb.png.89ef0fb328486ba18a5aaf2eff264bac.png

https://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/

Edited by S0und_Theif
  • Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,682 posts
5,758 battles

How come in 6 salvos of my Yamato AP into a Slava broadside I only got 12k dmg?.

Some of the shots over penned.

Its extremely frustrating when you play supposedly a big gun battleship, yet you can't damage other ships, including supposedly other big gun battleships.

Yet it only took him 3 salvos to completely wipe out my Yamato?.

[151ST]
3,537 posts
11,918 battles
39 minutes ago, Mudpheart said:

How come in 6 salvos of my Yamato AP into a Slava broadside I only got 12k dmg?.

Some of the shots over penned.

Its extremely frustrating when you play supposedly a big gun battleship, yet you can't damage other ships, including supposedly other big gun battleships.

Yet it only took him 3 salvos to completely wipe out my Yamato?.

I'm assuming not trolling...

Basically Yama shells are so big that their pen is huge and so will overpen more often than not because most ships have 25-32mm sections and 16mm superstructure.

Slava has 406s so will overpen less, Slava is also soviet and soviet AP is unrealistically reliable a lot of the time compared to other nations.

5,672 posts
9,487 battles
1 hour ago, Mudpheart said:

Such a crock of BS!. Why did I bother getting Yamato, when I can;t damage dds, cruisers, BBs?.

Aim better? 

That's literally how the mechanic works, and out of the many, many things WoWS does wrongly/badly, I say the AP mechanics are really realistic yet reasonable. I don't think the captain of an Iowa-class back then would tell his gunners to load AP to shoot at a DD and expect good result. Surely the shells would cause massive damage due to their sheer size, but the real destructive power of an AP shell comes from the explosion when the shell is inside of the target ship, not the penetration part.

Why I said reasonable: it's a skill check thing. Bigger is not always better, so players have to pick better targets and aim at that target better. Bigger AP shells are harder to deal damage, and smaller AP shells deal less damage. Though it gets annoying when short-fused 152 enters the game.

WG don't even want to touch Yamato for so, so long because she's just good and has never fallen out of meta - 20km+ backline "sniping".

Yeah, good, but either in WoWS or IRL, Yamato is seriously overrated.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,532 battles
55 minutes ago, Mudpheart said:

Such a crock of BS!. Why did I bother getting Yamato, when I can;t damage dds, cruisers, BBs?.

you're just trolling at this point arent you, you cant seriously be thinking that.... right?

• Cool 1

[5DN1L]
152 posts
3 hours ago, Mudpheart said:

Completely wrong.You can delete any dd,ca,bb in yamato but cannot land a single shell against cv.Try yourself.

Edited by PATHAK12345

[SMOKE]
2,483 posts
17,999 battles
3 hours ago, Paladinum said:

WG don't even want to touch Yamato for so, so long because she's just good and has never fallen out of meta - 20km+ backline "sniping".

Yet they would nerf / buff others and made them trash when the ship actually working good .. hmm .. do I see a prejudice here

[NCOTS]
501 posts
12,641 battles
3 hours ago, PATHAK12345 said:

You can delete any dd,ca,bb in yamato but cannot land a single shell against cv.Try yourself.

If someone is able to hit things as small as a DD with his Yamato but can't hit things as big as a CV, I wonder what's wrong with this world

• Funny 1

[5DN1L]
152 posts
16 minutes ago, rookieFTW said:

If someone is able to hit things as small as a DD with his Yamato but can't hit things as big as a CV, I wonder what's wrong with this world

You can land shells only on those targets which are VISIBLE.CVs mostly remains last man standing.I think you got my point.

Played 30 cv matches on SEA server with 80% w/r and got killed in only 2 of them.(tier 6 cv tier 8 AA mostly)

Lets stop discussing cv in this thread.

Edited by PATHAK12345

[NCOTS]
501 posts
12,641 battles
20 minutes ago, PATHAK12345 said:

I think you got my point.

Sure, but stop writing things like an author. I am not reading a literature so there's no need for me to "guess" the meaning behind sentences 

[5DN1L]
152 posts
2 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

Sure, but stop writing things like an author. I am not reading a literature so there's no need for me to "guess" the meaning behind sentences 

sure.Will be better next time.

5,672 posts
9,487 battles
4 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

WW2 1940-1945 flashback intensifies

Edited by Paladinum
  • Funny 1

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
10 hours ago, Mudpheart said:

Lol, I wonder if this what some esteemed members of the IJN thought in 1945?