You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FatFluffyPenguin

Need Tips for Harugumo

13 comments in this topic

[WGPLS]
197 posts
4,469 battles

I just don't really know what to make of this ship.

I have a bet with a clan mate that if I get the max DD emblem before the end of the year, he can't bully me for being a CV main anymore. As Harugumo is my only T10 DD, I'm betting on this ship.

But the problem is I just don't know what to do with it. I've tried to cap contest with a sneak build, but it eats torps too easily. I've tried supporting friendly DDs, but this method is pretty inconsistent and its hard to disengage with radar everywhere. I've tried a BB farming build, but its penetration is lackluster and I fail to really do much damage not to even mention the shell ballistics. I've tried running IFHE, but I just end up really missing the fire damage that a non-IFHE build provides. 

So I need some help- what exactly do I do with this ship? Side note that I'm broke on doubloons, so I might not be able to make changes to captain skills at the moment.

Please. My Max DD Emblem relies on it. :3

image.thumb.png.d10c7840d1ee475dc5321c6bc4fa8398.png

image.thumb.png.1e3eaf7ca1d2e75d5f0d19f2c194eefe.png

[KAMI]
1,567 posts
13,108 battles

Harugumo is a poor cap contestant ,Its large hull makes it hard and slow turning radius makes it pretty much harder to dodge efficiently and it is 1 of 2 destroyer that takes battleship full penetration value, so best to be just stay out of cap but within your gun range, else risking taking penetration from BBs shell

As for radar, is inevitable, you just have to try and stay out of the radius zone or hope they are behind island that their shell cant lob through

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
7 minutes ago, Manacetamol said:

you do realize this was posted in 2018?

[151ST]
3,555 posts
11,945 battles

She's a monster but a niche one. She can only contest with support (radar) and when this happens she wins.

Otherwise she's a BB farmer but you need IFHE.

If you want more range go range mod, not AFT. She has WAY too many skills she needs to be effective.

I'd suggest:

PM (1)

LS (3), AR or EM (19)

SE (6), DE (17)

CE (10), IFHE (14)

But it's up to you, to get good scores generally you need IFHE to pen BB 32mm.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,566 battles
54 minutes ago, FatFluffyPenguin said:

I just don't really know what to make of this ship.

I have a bet with a clan mate that if I get the max DD emblem before the end of the year, he can't bully me for being a CV main anymore. As Harugumo is my only T10 DD, I'm betting on this ship.

But the problem is I just don't know what to do with it. I've tried to cap contest with a sneak build, but it eats torps too easily. I've tried supporting friendly DDs, but this method is pretty inconsistent and its hard to disengage with radar everywhere. I've tried a BB farming build, but its penetration is lackluster and I fail to really do much damage not to even mention the shell ballistics. I've tried running IFHE, but I just end up really missing the fire damage that a non-IFHE build provides. 

So I need some help- what exactly do I do with this ship? Side note that I'm broke on doubloons, so I might not be able to make changes to captain skills at the moment.

Please. My Max DD Emblem relies on it. :3

you see, the thing with the DD emblem is...

you don't have to win, all you need to do is to farm damage, which makes harugumo the perfect ship to farm damage. you can play like a asshat and not cap, spot or hunt DDs for the whole game and still get the emblem easily. Just take IFHE/A/BFT and SI plus the rang mod for extreme range smoke farm so those pesky 12km ruskie radars cant spot you and forget you have a team.

so basically, play like a dick and farm damage, you'll get your DD badge in no time straight

Edited by Drakon233
  • Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,717 battles

This trash still sits in my port for those reasons. And when I saw one being one-shot by Vermont, I have fewer reasons to actually play the ship. It's just there for the occasional snowflake/anniversary event.

Kitakaze is far more superior.

[WGPLS]
197 posts
4,469 battles

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try to switch out AFT in favour range mod.

I'm still doubtful on IFHE though. I've tried it, and the difference isn't super noticeable. It seems to be a niche for farming French BBs especially. I miss fire damage a lot when I run IFHE, as I get maybe 1-2 fires every 100 hits.

Another problem I have is that I really like getting close. In Harugumo especially, the shell arcs need to make a full rotation of every one of Jupiter's moons before it hits a target at 13km and over. The closer I am the target, I get more shell hits. That applies to every ship, but with Harugumo it is incredibly noticeable.

But getting up close also means death.

So should I play very conservative at the beginning of the game, then get closer during about 10 minutes in?

Thanks for the tips everyone.

[SMOKE]
2,502 posts
18,035 battles

One question , did you Fxp through to Haryugumo or did you grind through Akizuki and Kitakaze. I mean if you had the grind you would know how these 100mm perform and how this branch of the tech tree plays.

Akizuki in particular train the player due to its agonizing top speed of 33knits

Khana and Haryugumo are simply left out regarding the AP pen change and this leave them basically in a bad position. Not to mention CV + excessive quantity of Radar today pretty much mean closing in warrant almost death always.

This boat simply is not fit for current game meta and artificially handicapped on spec

[WGPLS]
197 posts
4,469 battles

I did play Aki and Kita, but Haru isn't able to get up close and contest caps like Aki and Kita can. And getting up close constitutes a massive damage increase for the ballistics of 100mm guns.

[SMOKE]
2,502 posts
18,035 battles

Well , sure they are similar but yet they are different Aki and Kita basically had the same hull with Kita improving on the maneuvering ability.

Haryugumo is taking that another step more extreme , more guns but a more juicy target herself. It's a different hull so you need to learn that you no longer pilot a DD There, it's a Super Light CL. You need to get used to abuse the range both guns and Torp and learn to use that TRB. You want to play it more like Akizuki than Kitakaze it's almost just as sluggish and without the protection of AP overpen.

With those 100mm, you need to be real close to made the AP work and in any case it's still only good for broadside DD / Cruisers. You had to accept this limitation. With so many guns blazing you would want to exploit their prowess in HE. And they are not excessive like the 15/16 guns CL and you got a bit of leeway being a DD 

With its lack of protection you really want to position close but not in the open where you can take streams of fire. Keep moving , yes it's harder to score hits when keep moving and maneuvering but a dead Haryugumo do nothing and a living one at least still contribute.

Don't even bother to contest a cap , this boat just not for it , only dive in if and only if team actually group up, push, and support you on that. And unfortunately this is how the whole DD meta today are. It's only those with the leisure of margin of error who can made choice and that mean BB, Super Cruiser, some CA. Definitely not DD, not CL not even some CA. Simply put it's not possible to push forth if the team themselves refuse to do so. And yes CV very much part of the cause both the factor that discourage players even in their BB to force the front , and also the hard countering against DD /CL both stealth and engagement . Even AA spec and suppose to be AA cruiser and DD simply cannot counter aerial threat. And it's by spec nothing any player can do.

And let's not count how Radar ruin the whole

In a DD your core play advantage is stealth but it's excluded beyond the Radar range and aerial spotting, your other core play is speed so keep moving but Haryugumo is at best sub par here , further reason why you do not want to get close up. Then, Maneuvering but Haryugumo is definitely not good at that and yet one more reason to stay at range ... This apply to all DD but then of course most DD guns and Torps are then out ranged and then at these stay safe range a DD, any DD simply unable to contribute.

This is how it is and will not change. 

Learn to ignore your teammates call for doing all the so call DD tactical duty. So long they stay at range and will not force forth to give the needed fire cover, close support and AA. Then for certain no sense going out to commit suicide.. Do remember you are in a DD you just do not had the liberty to choose. Your only option is stay alive and fight it as best you can and accept that at times, most of the time, you are just cruising and unable to do any. The game made it so and the Big Guns players made it so. Not the boats nor the DD Players.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
5,308 posts
11,978 battles

Just yourself-defense 

You maybe not take torp reload but focus AA fight instead 

However you will be scanned by CA/CL radar at 10-12 km or be founded by 5.8km concealment DD if no CV on MM

shot-20.11.15_02.04.37-0159.jpg

shot-20.11.15_02.05.05-0863.jpg