You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SparkyOreo

NEW MAC WITH M1 Chip

8 comments in this topic

[WYHK]
4 posts
753 battles

will World of Warships consider to work on an update version that will take advantage of  the new Mac M1 Chip with Rosetta 2 or universal app?   

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles

Unfortunately, WG and WoWs team has announced that they are discontinuing macOS support.

Link:

I think that:

1. It's because the game is made for Intel / AMD (CISC), while WG team did not invest / try to make the game work in ARM (RISC). Only WoWs blitz (mobile version) works for ARM (RISC).

2. There is a possibility that WG had planned to include Vulkan API (possibly even Metal API for mac users) to run the game for other OS such as Linux and Mac natively, but either it was dropped or scrapped.

Edited by S0und_Theif

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,795 battles
9 hours ago, S0und_Theif said:

Unfortunately, WG and WoWs team has announced that they are discontinuing macOS support.

Link:

I think that:

1. It's because the game is made for Intel / AMD (CISC), while WG team did not invest / try to make the game work in ARM (RISC). Only WoWs blitz (mobile version) works for ARM (RISC).

2. There is a possibility that WG had planned to include Vulkan API (possibly even Metal API for mac users) to run the game for other OS such as Linux and Mac natively, but either it was dropped or scrapped.

But I assume you can still run it through Bootcamp (windows on Mac) for the new gen MAC?

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
12 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

But I assume you can still run it through Bootcamp (windows on Mac) for the new gen MAC?

WG did mention that you can try boot camp.

But, WG also stated that there is no guarantee that the game will work properly in boot camp.

From the official WG statement:

•    World of Warships is available via GeForce NOW. For more info, go to https://www.nvidia.com/geforce-now/
•    Players with macOS can try using Boot Camp to launch the Windows operating system on their device and play World of Warships. For more info, navigate to https://support.apple.com/HT201468.

Please note: Boot Camp is not officially supported by Wargaming, and we do not guarantee that World of Warships will run correctly when using it.

[WYHK]
4 posts
753 battles

I did try parallel and installed WoW on the virtue window.  It worked couple times and crashed.  Can't play it on virtue window anymore.  Sad.  My WoW days are numbered....

21 posts
6,856 battles

I've just picked up the M1 MBP and it's not great. Was using a 2018 15" MBP before that with external gpu which worked great using bootcamp, but couldn't play the mac version well. 

The M1 currently don't support bootcamp or egpu as far as I'm aware, although hopefully bootcamp/parallels comes in time. 

On the mac side, the M1 is pretty great so hopefully even using parallels WOWS will be playable. Kind of a bummer - I've spent thousands of dollars over many years playing WOWS, but I'm going to check out war thunder I guess. 

[GS]
Video Contributor, Beta Tester, Clantest Coordinator
2,879 posts
14,444 battles
On 11/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Skarhabek said:

81013349.jpg

AMD_wins_i3