You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
fishbed70

How to improve IJN CAs DPM

14 comments in this topic

[JPX]
34 posts
4,240 battles

Currently still grinding for IJN Zao, still short of 6 million credits.

So far only playing IJN ships, pratically mostly the Myoko, Mogami, Ibuki. Sometimes will play Nagato and Amagi.

These few days I have a bad streak of losses playing the Ibuki, pulling down the WR to 44%. Otherwise, I am quite average playing the Myoko, Mogami, and Ibuki, which I enjoy playing them very much.

However, besides my very average skills, what I feel is that from the random battles experience I have, my ususal total damages inflicted by my IJN CAs are not too satisfying.

Occassionally yes, I may have games where I inflict 60K to 90K damages (includes fire damages) on enemy ships, but generally in every game the damages I inflicted are a mere 20K to 40K averagely, including fire damages (mostly 95% of time I use HE ammo).

Starting fire is strength of IJN CAs, but sometimes certain enemy ships are very resistant to it. Especially Russian ships seems to be quite "immune" to my HE damages and starting a fire.

Overall of course, I understand due to the 13.7s to 15s reload speed of my T7-T9 CAs, DPM is relatively on the low side compared to cruisers from other lines.

I wanted to inflict more damages, but usually after firing my 1st salvo, I have to immediately try to turn away and goes dark, else enemy ships will target and shoot me. IJN CAs armour is relatively weak and I don't want to risk too much.

As a consequence of constant manuvoeuring, DPM is low. I don't like camping behind islands (not my play-style), although I found sometimes doing that with my Ibuki I can "farm" more damages on enemy BBs which are static or moving slowly.

I also find enemy BBs like to target my IJN CAs more than other teammates ships which are in fact closer to the enemy. Perhaps IJN CAs are more easy to "finish off" due to weaker armour, so everyone will target IJN CAs first.

Are there any ways I can improve my DPM playing with IJN CAs? 

Edited by fishbed70

[TF44]
529 posts
22,472 battles

I usually zig zag gunboat them. The usual downside is the turrets need wd40 which is counterproductive during gun boating. Pump everything to improve this so your turrets can keep up and you get better dpm.

[JPX]
34 posts
4,240 battles
19 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

I usually zig zag gunboat them. The usual downside is the turrets need wd40 which is counterproductive during gun boating. Pump everything to improve this so your turrets can keep up and you get better dpm.

👍

Yeah, slow turret rotation also a problem with IJN CAs. Although compensated somewhat with good turning radius.

[LNA]
2,093 posts
15,377 battles

You don't need to shoot that often anyway, try setting fire and stack them instead of stacking HE damage.

Though admittedly , Zao really need a survivability buff.

• Cool 3

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

Best advice I heard for cruiser gameplay is to "always keep your guns warm".

Don't put your ship in a position where you can't shoot for fear of getting detected.

Or, to put it inversely, do keep your ship in a position where you can shoot freely.

Spending half the game creeping around trying to find the ideal ambush is a waste of time. The trick is to position yourself so only one or two enemy ships can shoot at you, and ideally where those one or two enemy ships would be unwilling to shoot at you even if they could, because they have their hands full already with more pressing concerns. Mogami and Ibuki spend most of the game kiting. Zao and Atago are more aggressive, shooting over island cover and generally phasing in and out of the enemy view, always just out of easy reach.

Never rely on torps for damage, it's just a nice extra. Bread and butter is HE and fires.

• Cool 2

[IJN]
312 posts
5,152 battles

In IJN cruisers, you do one of two things:

1. Burn down anything you can see at range.

2. Bully DDs who forget what IJN railguns look like.

The best part of the IJN cruiser guns are the velocity, damage and fire chance.

You have some of the best guns velocity wise for cruisers, so farming at range is not a problem. This also makes it easier to blap DDs within 0-9 km away from you.

You also have excellent HE damage and fire chance, so use those to kill BBs using fire and cruisers with damage. Remember, the RN cruisers are bootleg IJN cruisers.

If you're looking to increase your damage, always, ALWAYS prioritise setting fires on BBs except for the Soviet ones. This is the most reliable way to farm damage and will usually result with 60-100k damage if done right. If you want a example of that, I did make a thread about a Zao game I had (although it devolved quickly) here.

• Cool 1

[JPX]
34 posts
4,240 battles

Thanks to all the good advice 😊

Yeah, sometimes I think I manoeuvr too much, wasting valuable time.

Also, I am not too good at choosing targets, just attack any targets that are the nearest. Have many occasions attacking Soviet BBs or cruisers but found very little success for the effort put in.

Also I think I need to refrain from firing long-range when playing my Ibuki (has long-range firing build with spotting plane), as shells are often too floaty, thus low accuracy. Best is still shooting when targets are within 15km.

As for blapping DDs, it's true I find myself good at that. Often within 12 km, enemy DDs showing broadside will be at risk loosing 3K to 4K to my HE salvos. Unless that DD player are good at kiting away with excellent rudder shifting.

Yeah, think I also need to try to remain calm and not kite away immediately after every salvos fired, and to choose non-Soviet ships, if possible.

Edited by fishbed70

[SMOKE]
2,502 posts
18,035 battles
8 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

You don't need to shoot that often anyway, try setting fire and stack them instead of stacking HE damage.

Though admittedly , Zao really need a survivability buff.

Pretty much from mid tier up all IJN cruiser need that ... 

[151ST]
3,555 posts
11,945 battles

Ok... A few things happening here...

First, 60k on Myoko is what you want ro be aiming for but it can be hard to get it regularly thanks to MM and the long range nature of play at higher tiers.

Mogami is more reliable, usually but I play her with IFHE 155s so bit of a different style there.

Ibuki and Zao run range mod in slot 6, basically you are a long range fire starter.

The biggest trick to good damage totals is three-fold.

1. Aim, aim, aim, aim, aim. With HE hit the chunky bits (superstructure) on BBs after that's on fire either keep farming or if you can hit it reliably, Bow/Stern deck armour areas for bow/stern fires and because almost all BBs have max 32mm plating there.

2. Positioning, positioning, positioning. I'm not sure if you have this issue but everyone can always get better. It is common for players to position poorly in IJN CAs and get blapped. If not, it is common for them to position poorly to do damage. You basically want to be able to free farm someone without anyone being able to shoot you. It takes practice but islands are best, or intermittent shooting and going dark in open water. Shoot while they aren't looking at you, go dark when the turn to face you.

3. Perma fires. When an enemy BB or ship uses DCP to put out fires alarm bells should start screeching in your brain, 'FIRE EVERYTHING!!!!' You want to start fires ASAP, as these will burn until the ships next DCP. This is where your bigger damage totals will come from.

Fire damage is trash damage until the ship runs out of heals or dies... But it's good for damage numbers. The reason it's trash damage is it's 100% healable.

You aren't going to always be able to get good numbers, for example; Giulio Cesare is an OP T5 BB, I average around 70k damage and 70% WR with her.

Sometimes we win so fast or a few salvos go wonky and I struggle to get 30k...

IJN CAs run into this issue even more at higher tiers, particularly if the entire enemy line-up is playing 'snipey snipey, hidey hidey'...

Most other CA lines have better range, which is the dominant factor in getting damage in these sorts of games.

IJN CAs are also the ships you want on a defending flank, they are good at kiting and harassing. Some games, the enemy simply never pushes.

Either way, goodluck and I hope this advice has helped you somewhat.

Personally IJN CAs were my first tech line, I still have trash tier stats on most of them because of that but I still love them and I want to go back and regrind them at some point (but then I have LOTS of ship lines I want to do that with).

• Cool 1

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles

Not sure if it actually makes much difference but it feels like I have been more effective at starting fires by staggering salvos by spacing out each turret firing. If you get a fire with the first turret and it burns great. If they fix it then let loose with other turrets to get another fire.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

This new vid from Flamu might be, ah, relevant to your interests.

Keep in mind that's a "golden game" example. If you sit inactive for the first third of the game as he did there, the game can already be lost beyond repair. You won't always luck out with the torps mid game like he did.

Still, fundamentally that's the essence of the IJN CA line: you trade early game influence for late game influence. Sometimes you can make that work, sometimes you can't.

• Cool 1

40 posts
15,684 battles

Some advice for you from my experience:

1. Aiming: IJN CA has good alpha, fire chance but slow reload, so any shells missed will hurt your damage output alot. Precise aiming is vital. If the enemy is maneuvering, you should fire one by one (press and hold mouse button) while dragging the mouse to lead your target according to their move.

2. Take Expert Loader: Dont over hyped about HE and forget your AP. All of my cruisers has this skill. There is no cruisers that can rely only on one shell type (except RN CL) so using the right ammunition type at the right moment is the key. Many times you will face an enemy cruiser turning around, trying to evade and showing their boardside to you but your HE is ready. You cant shoot them and change to AP or immediately switch to AP due to 15s reload and then missed then chance.

3. Know when to switch target: This is mostly for damage farming on BBs. If you already set fire on a BB, switch to another ship in your firing range. If that BB use DCP or the fire is out, switch back to him to get another fire or even some perma-fire.

4. Positioning: IJN CA excels at holding-defending a flank and kiting away so you will find mostly you should at the edge of the map. Always try to making crossfire, force the enemy turning their ship or moving their slow turret in order to shoot you instead of shooting your teammates.

5. Know how to properly kiting: dont try to use all your guns when kiting away, doing so will leave you ship vulnerable to get full AP pen to your citadel (especially Zao, the different between using 4 or 3 turrets to shoot at the enemy is noticeable, you r vulnerable when steering Zao to use all 4 turrets). Max speed when opening fire and when you see incoming shells, hit your brake and turning away.

6. Learn about DCP mechanics, fire/flood duration and know if your target's DCP is on use or on cooldown (Example: USN BB has 20s duration of DCP, when you see him extinguish a fire/flood, you better choose another target to shoot at for the next 20s).

Goodluck :cat_cool:

• Cool 1

[JPX]
34 posts
4,240 battles

Thank you so much guys, for the many valuable tips and tactic suggestions for playing IJN CAs 😊

Will definitely apply and adapt onto my play-style, to improve on total damages.

[IJN]
312 posts
5,152 battles
13 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Personally IJN CAs were my first tech line, I still have trash tier stats on most of them because of that.

Hmm, same here.

In fact I've played Ibuki more than any other non tier 10 tech tree ship, and my inexperience shows if you take a look at the stats.

I still feel bad whenever I blap a Ibuki because of all the memories associated with her.

• Cool 1