Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
S4pp3R

Oklahoma - PSA

11 comments in this topic

[151ST]
3,538 posts
11,931 battles

G'day Folks,

So I just managed to complete the courageous collection and thus picked up Oklahoma...

I will not be making a BLUF video on her anytime soon but I thought everyone should know:

PSA - play almost any other Tier 5 BB instead of Oklahoma.

Let me explain why and what's going on with references to New York and Texas to understand, I'll link my BLUFs at the bottom if you need to know about them.

Oklahoma is like the child of an A-hull New York and an A-hull New Mexico.

No on looking at her, I thought 'ok so she's an A-hull New Mexico with less guns and poor reload at T5.'

Nope... She's worse.

So one of the biggest issues with A-hull New York is that she has the old-school USN shells and these seriously lack penetration and reliability (both in HE and AP). When you upgrade to B-hull New York you also get upgraded AP and HE shells. The AP in particular starts maintaining good penetration values at most ranges.

A-hull New Mexico has these improved shells as standard, because plainly the old-school shells are so bad they perform REALLY poorly even at T5, imagine trying to hit a Bismarck with them?

To top this off, Oklahoma has an abysmal 40s reload. If her shells were actually good, this is less of an issue. The reason for this is while her DPM is low, her alpha-strike is pretty good and most of playing a BB is hitting with alpha-strike.

But when you combine this poor DPM with really bad shell characteristics, it makes the low DPM exponentially worse. This is because you are more likely to shatter/bounce more of the shells, reducing the potential damage per salvo.

I haven't done a direct comparison to other nations BBs but it's basically redundant. Apart from a minor upper belt increase to 25mm and an impressive turtleback, she still has the 19mm everywhere that New York suffers from.

And this 19mm is the crucial point, every BB shell in the game overmatches it, meaning citadels through the bow and stern and full pens in all sorts of other places.

Oklahoma tries to trade everything else for being 'tanky' and having respectable AA, she fails at this and is basically a walking XP pinata with unreliable guns.

Don't get me wrong, as with any Tier 5 BB, anyone with decent skills will still get results but I would rate every other BB at Tier 5 ahead of her.

Having extra 'citadel protection' does not make you tanky when you are still covered in 19mm plating. Almost all gun HE will pen 19mm (120s+) and every BB sized gun in the game will overmatch you with AP (272 mm +)

Whereas Texas trades some gun power (in DPM and range) for better turret angles on 3rd turret and better AA; she still has the modern shells which means her guns will still perform.

I'm really sorry, I wanted to like Oklahoma, hell if I can make Kansas work, surely I can make Oklahoma work? Yes but she doesn't have an overwhelming broadside weight at tier to compensate for her poor shell characteristics (whereas Kansas does).

New York and Texas for reference...

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[TF44]
207 posts
1,944 battles

Well it is a freemium, and a 6 point Captain as well I believe which will be useful for me in the 2 cruiser lines.

[151ST]
3,538 posts
11,931 battles
2 hours ago, EnochIsHere said:

Look how they massacred my boy :cap_fainting:

Yep, literally all that would be needed to fix her would be normalised shells...

3 minutes ago, CarvinMarvin said:

Well it is a freemium, and a 6 point Captain as well I believe which will be useful for me in the 2 cruiser lines.

You miss my point mate, literally every other T5 BB is better...

Most of them have better armour, at least having HE resistant sections.

All have better DPM and better shells

Some even have comparable citadel protection. I'm struggling to think of a worse T5 BB...

[TF44]
207 posts
1,944 battles
18 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

You miss my point mate, literally every other T5 BB is better...

Most of them have better armour, at least having HE resistant sections.

All have better DPM and better shells

Some even have comparable citadel protection. I'm struggling to think of a worse T5 BB...

Oh I get it. She's a steaming pile of, well you know what. It's just that she is also free for completing the collection, and it isn't like it is going to take up a port slot because she comes with one of those, and she does come with a free captain as well, who might not be great at 6 point, but that does make them my equal 2nd best USN Captain. If nothing else at least at tier 5 it will be earn a bit more XP than the Charleston at tier 3, and she will at least be there to clear daily missions.

Besides, I have both the Cheshire and Belfast '43. Not great premiums is sort of my thing now. :cap_cool:

• Funny 3

[151ST]
3,538 posts
11,931 battles
1 hour ago, CarvinMarvin said:

Oh I get it. She's a steaming pile of, well you know what. It's just that she is also free for completing the collection, and it isn't like it is going to take up a port slot because she comes with one of those, and she does come with a free captain as well, who might not be great at 6 point, but that does make them my equal 2nd best USN Captain. If nothing else at least at tier 5 it will be earn a bit more XP than the Charleston at tier 3, and she will at least be there to clear daily missions.

Besides, I have both the Cheshire and Belfast '43. Not great premiums is sort of my thing now. :cap_cool:

Yeah see they both are 'average' IMO (I say this based off assessment of specs, I own neither).

This one is fighting for weakest in tier and honestly I think if I did a ranking for T5 BBs, I'd probably put her at the bottom, lol.

I even approached her from the perspective of 'protected citadel' but even that is just average as most BBs at T5 have good citadel armour leading to a degree of protection from black ribbons...

I suppose what I'm saying is she may be free but I'd put her back if it made any sense. (It doesn't, by having her in my port it means I can't roll her in xmas crates).

I don't mind average ships, some of my fave ships are perceived as 'bad' by others. I mean if you watch my T7 ranked video Nagato is up near the top... lol. But yeah, *shudder* Oklahoma is so painful, and no amount of T5 BBs being easy to club with can save her.

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
Beta Tester
183 posts
18,818 battles

Well at least she's in line with most of the newly added USN chunky BB's.

In gun performance/characteristics/accuracy, shell ballistics or lack thereof, ship speed, armor scheme ... and tepid community reception.

[MRI]
3,786 posts
16,841 battles

Wow that is super fast. I have a long way to go to complete the collection. Got unlucky with drops and have lots of duplicates.

I will probably fool around in her with a  Secondary build captain for a few games before putting her to one side. Sail slowly to a cap and just sit there until I am sunk. She has ridiculously long Secondary range for a Tier 5 BB at 8.3km fully upgraded.

But at the end of the day she is a Tier 5 ship, so most likely she will end up as a Port queen anyway. Unless WG introduces Ops for Tier 5s or something. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles
5 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

But at the end of the day she is a Tier 5 ship, so most likely she will end up as a Port queen anyway. Unless WG introduces Ops for Tier 5s or something. :Smile_hiding:

Press X to Doubt if there's Tier 5 Ops. Last time we can play our old Ops using T5 Botes but ppl be complaining about T5 is weak.

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles

Bump for Oklahoma,

Also Oklahoma is supposed to be successor to New York and Texas in real life btw.

[151ST]
3,538 posts
11,931 battles
9 hours ago, iDd_Sloth said:

Well at least she's in line with most of the newly added USN chunky BB's.

In gun performance/characteristics/accuracy, shell ballistics or lack thereof, ship speed, armor scheme ... and tepid community reception.

Not really...

Oklahoma trades everything for good at tier citadel protection...

Kansas trades speed for unrivalled broadside weight and impressive AA.

Oklahoma's shells are ineffective at penning BBs at 10km+

Kansas can still get a few pens on most BBs at 23km...

Kansas has Montana broadside weight at T8 but with worse shells.

Oklahoma has comparable broadside weight to her peers in a better turret config with completely horrible shells.

Oklahoma shatters on flat armour sections 19+mm (she's supposed to overmatch 19mm so not sure what's happening there)... Kansas shatters on belts and high-armoured sections and does fine vs flat 32mm sections, which she doesn't come close to overmatching...

Kansas isn't a bad ship if you can position and aim well, but yes she can be painful to play if you are inexperienced.

Oklahoma is bad regardless of your skill, if you are skilled you are doing well because it's T5...

Does that make sense?

8 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

Wow that is super fast. I have a long way to go to complete the collection. Got unlucky with drops and have lots of duplicates.

I will probably fool around in her with a  Secondary build captain for a few games before putting her to one side. Sail slowly to a cap and just sit there until I am sunk. She has ridiculously long Secondary range for a Tier 5 BB at 8.3km fully upgraded.

I may have picked up 5 containers early on to see what their rewards were like, if not I've had a lucky run, lol.

Any new operations would be amazing, T5 would be top of my fave list!!!

I have so many T5s I love to play!

3 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Press X to Doubt if there's Tier 5 Ops. Last time we can play our old Ops using T5 Botes but ppl be complaining about T5 is weak.

In defence, that was because T6s were allowed in said ops... So yes, T5s would be sub-optimal in that situation.

3 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Bump for Oklahoma,

Also Oklahoma is supposed to be successor to New York and Texas in real life btw.

Yeah however it has a lot to do with refits. In Warships, generally B-hulls will upgrade shells (if there is a shell upgrade) and Oklahoma is effectively an A-hull... Shame it isn't like New Mexico; her A-hull has modern shells...

Edited by S4pp3R

Sign in to follow this