Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Helena

How to grind through Langley?

14 comments in this topic

188 posts
638 battles

I have tried Co-Op, but every single ship with torps always secure the kills. Co-Op matches are also too short to let me earn XP normally. In Random, I got uptiered against the T5 ships. I saw Nicholas spewing red flaks, and that was bad for my planes.

And the worst problem is that the XP I earned from Langley won't count for the daily missions. The economy is also bad.

[SEARN]
1,077 posts
17,509 battles

Wouldn't you try to find something out about these ships before you decide to grind the line?

188 posts
638 battles
3 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Wouldn't you try to find something out about these ships before you decide to grind the line?

I have looked for several sources (mostly the gameplay on Youtube), and most say the US line is the best to start from.  I have learned the basic controls, and tactics, but it turns out to be quite complicated to do sufficient damage before the matches end. In Co-Op, my top damage is 11k. And in Random, it's 20k. (the matches were complete steamroll)

My original question is how to grind through the ship at a more normal pace? Surface ships can earn at least 1.5k XP from winning in Random, but my Langley barely made 1.1k.

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
9 minutes ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Ok then but how is Ranger?

Ranger is more or less the same as Langley, but with 3 additional benefits.

You now have the additional option to play Scenario other than Random and Co-op battles.
You now can "summon" fighters to soften or deny enemy aircraft in certain location. You can also use those "summoned" fighters as spotters.
You can now participate in Daily Combat Mission.

The only thing missing is, you do not have the option to use HVAR attack aircraft. That will be available at T8 Lexington.
And you may be uptiered (+2 MM) time to time. Either ±1 MM (T5 - T7) or +2 MM (T6 - T8).

But I also want to encourage you to play 10, 20, or 30 battles in T4 before FXP-ing to T6. Just to get an idea how CV works.
Especially how to lead aim.

• Cool 1

[NCOTS]
502 posts
12,665 battles
24 minutes ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Ok then but how is Ranger

From my perspective as a surface ship Ranger seems to be the most stable/versatile tech tree CV in dealing damage, planes aren't made of paper and doesn't heavily rely on RNG when dive-bombing compare to Weser and Ryujo, as they need the bombs to hit the right spot

188 posts
638 battles
6 minutes ago, S0und_Theif said:

Ranger is more or less the same as Langley, but with 3 additional benefits.

You now have the additional option to play Scenario other than Random and Co-op battles.
You now can "summon" fighters to soften or deny enemy aircraft in certain location. You can also use those "summoned" fighters as spotters.
You can now participate in Daily Combat Mission.

The only thing missing is, you do not have the option to use HVAR attack aircraft. That will be available at T8 Lexington.
And you may be uptiered (+2 MM) time to time. Either ±1 MM (T5 - T7) or +2 MM (T6 - T8).

But I also want to encourage you to play 10, 20, or 30 battles in T4 before FXP-ing to T6. Just to get an idea how CV works.
Especially how to lead aim.

I don't have enough FXP, so skipping is not an option.

I'm still learning how to lead the torps now. That's the only squadron I still have trouble with.

And to be honest, I only become curious of how easy CV game actually is as what some folks here say

6 minutes ago, rookieFTW said:

From my perspective as a surface ship Ranger seems to be the most stable/versatile tech tree CV in dealing damage, planes aren't made of paper and doesn't heavily rely on RNG when dive-bombing compare to Weser and Ryujo, as they need the bombs to hit the right spot

.Ah ok so I made the right choice then.

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,714 battles
39 minutes ago, Admiral_Helena said:

Ok then but how is Ranger?

Better than the chopping board & Furious. Although if you only try to learn how CV works, you don't really have to grind to Lexington.

But yes the American torps are ridiculously slow. Take Torpedo Acceleration.

[-CAT-]
3,409 posts
13,592 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Helena said:

I don't have enough FXP, so skipping is not an option.

I see. :Smile_sad:

Take is slow. Think of it as training you to play CV better when you get to T6.

I'm still learning how to lead the torps now. That's the only squadron I still have trouble with.

I also struggle torpedo in my early days.

As well as attack aircraft. :Smile_hiding:

And to be honest, I only become curious of how easy CV game actually is as what some folks here say

It's the same curiosity as you that got me into playing CV.

I did try RTS CV, but the higher tier you go, the more you will have to micro manage.

[TF44]
529 posts
22,472 battles

Don't rush the grind. later you'll join the 500 battle clueless majority in TX, creating pointless dunning-Kruger threads recycling debunked arguments all over again.

6 hours ago, Reinhard_of_Avercland said:

Better than the chopping board & Furious.

Apparently i am seeing a lot more RN CV plays lately in randoms and they are not potatoes.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,779 posts
28,559 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Helena said:

I have tried Co-Op, but every single ship with torps always secure the kills. Co-Op matches are also too short to let me earn XP normally. In Random, I got uptiered against the T5 ships. I saw Nicholas spewing red flaks, and that was bad for my planes.

And the worst problem is that the XP I earned from Langley won't count for the daily missions. The economy is also bad.

actually legit advice for langly? 

skip it

it serves no purpose at T4 and apart from the very basics of dropping you don't learn anything, real CV gameplay where you actually get FTs and need to face AA starts at T6

if you cant skip it play PVP, PVE is terrible for CVs because you are so dependent on the game dragging on for a long time to do your damage, if you play PVE where you win(or lose) in 10m you wont have anywhere enough time to farm

• Cool 1

[4RSE]
403 posts
10,835 battles

Co-op in a  T4 CV works well if you play at very odd hours. Like after midnight and before 8 am.  Teams are mostly bots, so the chances of a 20 minute game increase a lot.

40 posts
15,684 battles

As T4 CV you will only face T5 ships at maximum, but at T6 or T8 CV you might be thrown to +2 MM and the AA is even more frustrating for you.

In my opinion, you should not skip, you can use camos and flags to increase incoming XP and speed up the progress. Try to learn the basic CV gameplay  gradually from lower tier, especially dodging flak and how to priority target. Focus isolated ships and stay away from heavy AA ships (US, UK cruisers). Try to focus down enemy DDs first with your rocket, HE bomb, and then move to enemy BBs. Cruisers have good AA and manueverability so it's not adviced to focus them early.

If you see red flaks, it's mean enemy's activating Defensive AA Fire. Turn around or press F to call off your squad to save your precious planes.

Edited by Jack_Sparrow_95
  • Cool 2

Sign in to follow this