Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Bottom tiered Fiji game

7 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles

Finally a good PvP game. It's been a while.

@S4pp3R might call this a "One off", I call it an example of profiting at bottom tier :Smile_glasses:

Right from the start I hoped to play the stealth/spotting game. With the enemy Baltimore and single DD going to the other side of the map, I was free to use Fiji's somewhat useable concealment. You will see me pushing the envelope a couple of times. The Soyuz came within a couple of hundred meters of spotting me - upon which he could have one shot me!

I offer this game up as a bit of an example of teamplay. By this I mean I could have stopped and fired more often but I wanted to cap and spot for my team rather than pad up my damage.

I think I could actually have fired a bit more often upon reviewing the replay but as we got caps early and there was no real pressure on my team as a result of this, I decided to keep playing the stealth/spotting game. The CV did a great job of spotting and pressuring the flank until he saw we held the flank and went off to do other things.

I wonder how many new players know about their smoke firing conceal distance and firing only when there are islands to block being spotted?

This would be a good tutorial if such a thing were ever to happen.

I don't think it was necassarily a perfect game on my part (I don't think I needed to smoke up in cap - mostly an reflex action I think! - but would that Neptune have had a look at me if I didn't) but it was just a relief to feel I played a game suited to the ship I was in and as I intended. I also think I could have helped my allied Pommern a bit more at the end.

• Cool 6

[151ST]
4,125 posts
13,669 battles

Will watch when I get the chance!

Fiji is a great ship

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
1 minute ago, S4pp3R said:

Will watch when I get the chance!

Fiji is a great ship

I find Fiji and Edinburgh often perform above what I expect - which probably means I should adjust my expectations!

I kind of skipped Neptune and Minotaur "the first time" as I was in a rush to get as many TX ships as I could during the recent "Snowflake" event so I don't know how I actually feel about the TIX and TX in the line. (I'm up to Fiji on my regrind - don't hate me, I just want Ohio...)

I am often pleasantly surprised by how often their AP bites in and does damage, even against BBs two tiers higher.

[CLAY]
3,684 posts
15,723 battles

I find it annoying how often my light cruisers have to become fat DDs...

Usually when there is only one or no DDs and I have the best concealment...

Which is annoying, especially if there are CVs in the game, because you are a big fat slow target compared to a DD....

[151ST]
4,125 posts
13,669 battles

Nice game mate!

So probably the one major thing I noticed that is worth mentioning and it's something we all do wrong...

With Short-fuse AP/SAP - yes aim higher like HE, BUT...

At nose in targets with BIG front turrets (like the Georgia at the end), aim above the turrets, not at them.

Your damage will come from the Superstructure behind the turrets, every bounce you get will be from the turrets themselves.

By doing this you can go from 10% pens per salvo to 50-70% depending on range/RNG.

I find I make the mistake because in my brain my aim for SF AP and SAP is the same as HE, and with HE this aim is 'ok' (for nose fires) and will get slightly 'ok' pen results much of the time thanks to how HE works.

I've been slowly rewiring my brain to shoot 'above turrets' for a while now, particularly with SF AP and SAP.

If you are unsure of what I mean, my suggestion would be to take Fiji or an RM CA into a training room vs an afk Kremlin and test what I mean.

• Cool 2

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,997 posts
29,466 battles
7 hours ago, S4pp3R said:

Nice game mate!

So probably the one major thing I noticed that is worth mentioning and it's something we all do wrong...

With Short-fuse AP/SAP - yes aim higher like HE, BUT...

At nose in targets with BIG front turrets (like the Georgia at the end), aim above the turrets, not at them.

Your damage will come from the Superstructure behind the turrets, every bounce you get will be from the turrets themselves.

By doing this you can go from 10% pens per salvo to 50-70% depending on range/RNG.

I find I make the mistake because in my brain my aim for SF AP and SAP is the same as HE, and with HE this aim is 'ok' (for nose fires) and will get slightly 'ok' pen results much of the time thanks to how HE works.

I've been slowly rewiring my brain to shoot 'above turrets' for a while now, particularly with SF AP and SAP.

If you are unsure of what I mean, my suggestion would be to take Fiji or an RM CA into a training room vs an afk Kremlin and test what I mean.

Oh yeah, when i watched the replay and watched myself aim right at the turrets on the Soyuz.... (Was a Soyuz not Georgia).

*cringe* 

😄

[151ST]
4,125 posts
13,669 battles
6 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Oh yeah, when i watched the replay and watched myself aim right at the turrets on the Soyuz.... (Was a Soyuz not Georgia).

*cringe* 

😄

Shows how bloody tired I was when I wrote that... Perks of having a missus who's preggo AF and wakes up 100 times per night (thus waking me up to).

Not complaining, too busy being excited AF while falling asleep standing up.

I had picked up Georgia early this morning... 😕

Soz!

But yeah, otherwise pretty clinical mate.

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this