You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
DobbyM8

Issues and Concerns DISCUSSION - Community & DobbyM8

63 comments in this topic

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles

Good evening everyone,

Firstly, I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is DobbyM8, I am a CC for World of Warships and a twitch stream - I have been playing the game for around 4 years or so and have been a CC for around 3 months or so. I love this game, I love the community and I enjoy the game. Taking on the role as CC I promised to provide feedback to the development and management team and to inform the community of ongoing changes. It has been raised to me that there are concerns and issues breaking peoples enjoyment of the game and also causing people to turn away and walk away from the game altogether, I personally don't want to see that and want to create a community that enjoys games and has fun - as that is what games are all about right. As such I have put it out to my community to provide feedback on what the current issues are and to assimilate some ideas on how to address these. I ask if anyone else has any issues to please flag them here to help improve the game and as such your enjoyment - the only thing I ask is clearly highlight the issue and please think of any ideas on how to address these, so we can crack on - have some fun - enjoy the games and everyone have a balanced and well structured game.

Please add don't things like - "Delete CV's" but rather use some of the hightlights below to build upon and help me and help the management team guide the Dev team to fixing and addressing any issues or concerns and remember if we don't clearly highlight any issues then they won't get fixed. This isn't about being negative but rather being positive and professional and providing advice and centrally highlighting issues.

Lastly I apologise for anyones name on the below from the exert of discord, I have removed your names and again this is not about being negative nor toxic but rather about making the game better for everyone and finally legends I can't wait to see you all on the high seas soon!

1.       ISSUE Matchmaking issues – T6 / T8 / T10 – Match making when up or down tiered by 2 levels is game breaking the game play ability

i.      FIX

b.       Wait longer and conduct a trail and seek feedback via a server feedback form

2.       ISSUE CV issues with AP bombs and CV Spotting

i.      FIX

b.       CV damage balance vs AA balance

c.       Increase rewards for Friendly CV’s dropping fighters as well as spotting in general

d.       Implement Spotting cool down or spotting ability request – not passive but rather on action – an idea is to have 2 x options within range and then a silhouette for those outside the range that updates via a ping system similar to a real life sonar or radar

3.       ISSUE RADAR ISLAND ISSUE

i.      Contention POINT and many ways to tackle this

b.       The implementation of ("I'm using Surveillance Radar"Radar Activated") and "(I am using Hydroacoustic search)/Sonar Activated" in the Game Chat as well the Player "Ping" have been a useful addition to the game, I would love to see this extended to Ships that Launch Torpedoes, a "Torpedo Launched" pop up in chat could help players a void friendly incoming Torpedoes, the Audio indication is good, every little bit helps in a melee and it is not easy to type long messages to warn nearby players.

c.       f3 key has a 40 second timer, like an expendable. When a Player f3s an enemy ship, timer activates, no other f3s till timer runs down, during that time if at least 2 or more players hit that target. They get a Friendly Fire Token, and 5 or 8 in a match the players get a reward, XP, Flags etc

4.       ISSUES Lack Missions and Training Scenarios to improve gameplay and gameplay style – and in return reward for conducting these skills

Confessions of a Product Manager Lesson 1 — Focus on the problem, not the  solution | by Gino Toro | Medium

COMMENTS from Discord for Issues:

NOTE: All names have been removed and each time stamp is a new comment - over 20 people have commented in this thread topic in my discord with Ideas and concerns,

[8:41 PM]

Spotting delay for surface ships when cv planes spot enemy ships

Yesterday at 8:41 PM

fire chance then buff all HE to 1/5 pen

[8:43 PM]

Change 12km radar to 11km radar

Yesterday at 8:43 PM

Bring back mid range AA flak, instead of confining flak to just the long range

Yesterday at 8:44 PM

make brawling ships fun

Yesterday at 8:44 PM

New AA system, flak can be fired where the player clicks and aims at(edited)

Yesterday at 8:49 PM

The more you fire at the same ship the better the RNG gets (bracketing)(edited)

[8:50 PM]

remove the ridiculous torpedo protection

Yesterday at 8:50 PM

oooo yes

Yesterday at 8:51 PM

NERF! german cvs

[8:51 PM]

fix matchmaking

same tier games should be 80% of the time

remove two tier system and make it only same tier games every game

waiting a few mins for a game is fine

Yesterday at 8:52 PM

move the ship flags from behind smoke stacks to back of ship

Yesterday at 8:52 PM

stop punishing good aim (chalk outlining)(edited)

[8:53 PM]

MAKE A PROPER TRAINING SYSTEM TO TEACH PEOPLE HOW TO PLAY THE GAME

like a single player mode

make them do the training

[8:56 PM]

go back to old system for legendary modules(edited)

[8:59 PM]

Increase division sizes(edited)

DobbyM8Yesterday at 9:02 PM

Issue- Uptier or Bottom Tier games Fix- Increase wait time to allow consistent same level matchmaking

Yesterday at 9:08 PM

i also agree with the fixing uptier should be same or max 1 tier

Yesterday at 9:36 PM

Bring back the old operations

Yesterday at 9:38 PM

Make the rewards in operations every 6 months

Yesterday at 10:40 PM

Getting up tiered is not fair to all of us that use our signals to help our ship and get blasted early in the game or score little hit points due to playing up tiered

Yesterday at 10:42 PM

To be honest, I don't mind being up tiered, it just changes how I play a bit. What I don't like is steam rolls where you can't make any difference whatever you do.

November 2, 2020

Today at 2:25 AM

Uptiers and frustration caused by them made me leave the game. That s all I have to say, and that s all a dev should hear to fix this game

Today at 6:58 AM

there should always be ONLY one tier difference

Today at 8:38 AM

It's not about German CVs needing to be nerfed - ALONE. There are a few issues that can assist in making CV gameplay positive, but also less tiresome for non-CV players. 1 - Reduction in accuracy of things like AP bombers and rockets. Simply increasing dispersion will assist in reducing the terrible amount of OP damage they do. 2 - DDs need a VIABLE AA system. DDs are risking being cancelled from the game (unless Halland) by CVs. They have very little defense against CVs on spot/damage. 3 - why the thing does radar and particularly hydro work through land masses? Unrelated to CVs but this is a major accuracy flaw.

Today at 8:48 AM

As a poor-average player the only cv I have issue with (as a non-cv player) is tier 8, particularly if it’s top tier. Waaay op. Any other tier of cv and I pretty much ignore them, doesn’t matter what I’m playing. A good cv player will always be annoying, but I don’t come across too many of them.

Today at 8:53 AM

As may have said MM needs to be looked at. Also CVs need a way to meaningfully engage each other. Certainly not a return to the old rts strafe days, but fighters need to be a damn sight more useful than their current iteration.

Today at 9:54 AM

I’m okay with odd tier cvs if the T4 cvs move up to T5 and a few balance changes to cvs

[9:55 AM]

The main thing is that there needs to be viable counterplay

DobbyM8Today at 9:56 AM

I think CVs are great in the game and I honestly think they open up gameplay more then they close it. The issue from a gameplay and teamplay point of view is that for me it is about inconsistency of player skill for CV. Unsure how we can fix it but it does need addressing.
Today at 10:05 AM

I have a few things: 1. Your base XP in a win or lose should be more based on the team winning or losing than individual performance so be more like Clan Battles. 2. Training in general but particularly for cv's before they can be used in randoms 3. fix op of German cv's and the aa on other ships. Planes shouldn't be able to get near a group of ships with aa, there aa bubble should stop any chance of getting shots off. 4. Increase div sizes to minimum of 5 and max of 6

Today at 10:11 AM

Other than the MM (which is a joke more than its not), the biggest concern I have that drives me crazy is how radar works. Radar should NOT work through Islands. It also seems that the majority of Cruisers T7 and above now have radar....its bloody everywhere. You can't tell I'm a DD player eh? lol

Today at 10:24 AM

I also agree on match making, should either be at level or 1 level up or down. Should not be a 2 tier difference in any games

Today at 11:00 AM

How can a Halland Have 6x1 40mm , 1x2 57mm & 2x2 120mm & have more chance of survival than a Iowa class BB which has 49 x 1 20mm, 18 x 4 40mm and 10 x 2 127mm(edited)

Today at 11:07 AM

Smaller target?

Today at 11:13 AM

as strong as the Halland AA is, you can still get smacked by CV too

[11:14 AM]

cant take them all down if you get charged unless they fly through flak

Today at 11:17 AM

What i mean is you go out in a Halland and you will more offen then not shoot down every aircraft that comes for you anything else may as well get up go make a coffee and play a youtube video because you will be lucky if you can shoot stuff down. US AA used to be good now it couldn't hit a barn from inside as can be said for most of the ships. sorry to say but there is only a few options to counter this 1. start playing as a team and stick together SEA server like that stuff is going to happen 2. stop playing 3. make more noise then the CV players that got there way to start with 4. don't recommend it until you have explained every thing about the game to new players

Today at 11:21 AM

5. Play cvs

Today at 11:26 AM

yeh like the French DDs, i could have a squadron of planes do circles around me for 10 minutes

Today at 5:12 PM

I Think CV's Destroy Game Play for DD's and AP Rockets (German CV) for CA.. What's this Bouncing Bomb stuff coming to game? I want WG to - Nerf Rocket Damage and -Drop that Bouncing bomb crap none of those were use as roll out main armaments against Ships. this is why I Don't play much anyone.(edited)

Today at 5:17 PM

Top three on the Losing team should still get winning team benefits.

[5:19 PM]

If Div's could be bigger to counter language Barrier and just plain botting.

[5:22 PM]

Are they still going to Nerf burst AA from instant to a "Ramp Up" when you have had AA off to avoid plane spotting? because Halland's AA will mean nothing if they do that.

[5:22 PM]

Oh MM is Broken

Today at 5:23 PM

they’ve said that the air concealment changes and ramp up AA won’t make it into the live server

Today at 5:29 PM

Right now there is only ‘O’ to reinforce AA sector, ‘P’ to turn off AA, n Fighters that shoot down n Planes and DFAA. There is nothing else to counter planes apart from ‘just dodge’

Today at 5:31 PM

yeh fighters are useless

Today at 5:31 PM

Carriers have excellent capabilities to detect enemy ships and can be overly effective in this regard, especially in competitive modes. We are actively engaged in this issue. However, recent tests of changes in the spotting mechanics have not yielded the desired results: the mechanics in the game should be simple and clear to everyone, and testing has shown that our latest ideas did not cope with this task and made the gameplay unnecessarily complicated. Therefore, we are in search of new possible solutions.
Today at 5:34 P

Ok I just have a General Disappointment in the Game while the issues may or may not get resolved.

[5:35 PM]

which is a shame I have spent A LOT of real money but it drives me bat stuff right now.

Today at 5:36 PM

I think they’re pushing to get as many new people playing the game as possible before they introduce subs with the recruiting station offering more rewards

[5:37 PM]

If they have an extra few thousand of players playing the game when the subs come out and they lose a bunch of players who will leave because of the new class it'll just go back to what it was before the push, so they don't lose any groun

at 5:43 PM

I've offered this a feedback before: return the ability to swap control between cv and plane. Won't really make cv more broken. Make the fighters a separate squad that cv can 'autopilot' to an area. Because i have experienced a lot of times where cv Won't go to your location Because they're busy farming the opposite side of the map. This way, they lose an excuse not to send fighters to assist when u ask.

Today at 5:44 PM

I enjoyed playing with you guys at Wook6,and ANZAC most of the SEA Server Aus/NZ clans except JACOB_548 or whatever it is "clan hopper"

I Think CV's Destroy Game Play for DD's and AP Rockets (German CV) for CA.. What's this Bouncing Bomb stuff coming to game? I want WG to - Nerf Rocket Damage and -Drop that Bouncing bomb crap none of those were use as roll out main armaments against Ships. this is why I Don't play much anyone.

no, but they were developed in the time period and planned to be used against ships like the tirpitz. Unfortunately with WG running out of existing material they are having to turn to concepts to keep new ideas flowing into the game eg. the new US BB line

[6:14 PM]

I believe cv's have a place in the game, the time period they ships are from cv's were coming into there own and the top dogs in the seas. In saying that, in the game the balance just isn't right at the moment

(twitch) Finding a way to give people credit for something other than dmg would be great. If you hold your flank but don’t do a lot of dmg you’re at the bottom of the team score

Today at 6:35 PM

Thanks, I also think possibly adding the odd tier CVs could help out. Rather than trying to balance a CV for -2 tiers all the way to +2 tiers is hard.

From  (twitch) f3 key has a 40 second timer, like an expendable. When a Player f3s an enemy ship, timer activates, no other f3s till timer runs down, during that time if at least 2 or more players hit that target. They get a Friendly Fire Token, and 5 or 8 in a match the players get a reward, XP, Flags etc

Today at 6:39 PM

Top three on the Losing team should still get winning team benefits.

I disagree and for the same reason as I disagree with the top person in the losing side of ranked keeping there star in that it only encourages people to do enough not to lose a star rather than working in the team for the win
Today at 6:41 PM

I seriously liked the 3 v 3 battles
Today at 7:35 PM

everything you need to know here, 1 team pushing together, the other running and working as individuals... plus Herby called UTG and I died

-DobbyM8

Edited by DobbyM8
  • Cool 3

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles

Now it is my chance to address the issue regarding Vittorio Veneto Model 3d.

• Cool 2

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles
10 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Now it is my chance to address the issue regarding Vittorio Veneto Model 3d.

Thanks mate for adding this and raising your issue / concern.

[LYNMF]
Beta Tester
1,982 posts
6,591 battles
Just now, DobbyM8 said:

Thanks mate for adding this and raising your issue / concern.

No problem. By the way, is it okay if i can requisition your opinion regarding that post please?

[-CAT-]
3,415 posts
13,601 battles

Would like to add the Naval Training Center (NTC) / Research Bureau (RB) in the concerns list.

Note: Please start at post number 16 onwards.

The playerbase / community has a more serious feedback from there onwards.

Edited by S0und_Theif

5,696 posts
9,513 battles

1. Fairer distribution of ships between 2 teams in a battle. 

Far too often one team would have all of the same ships and the other team would have none, especially radar ships and super cruisers (Alaska, Agir, etc.).

2. Test more and bring back Arms Race as a permanent mode.

Suggestion: only ships in a certain range get the buffs (CVs would always get the buffs regardless of distance), to discourage ships that don't actively engage in combat and stay far away from their own team mates. Do NOT bring back Concealment buff.

3. Please test more of respawning mechanic for core modes (Co-op and Random).

4. Research Bureau is hated by many players, as shown in the latest RB video on YouTube. Suggestion: remove the requirement to sell ships when resetting lines. Let the players KEEP their tech tree ships.

• Cool 1

[PRASS]
1 post
4,903 battles

Just wanted to add onto bringing mid range AA Flak back. This would at least give those ships, mainly Destroyers, that don't have long range AA flak to at least fight back and would also make cruisers that have a good amount of mid range AA an actual threat along with their long range AA and possibly making them a deterrence seeing as how CVs can get through grouped up ships and at least get a strike off.

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles
5 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

1. Fairer distribution of ships between 2 teams in a battle. 

Far too often one team would have all of the same ships and the other team would have none, especially radar ships and super cruisers (Alaska, Agir, etc.).

2. Test more and bring back Arms Race as a permanent mode.

Suggestion: only ships in a certain range get the buffs (CVs would always get the buffs regardless of distance), to discourage ships that don't actively engage in combat and stay far away from their own team mates. Do NOT bring back Concealment buff.

3. Please test more of respawning mechanic for core modes (Co-op and Random).

4. Research Bureau is hated by many players, as shown in the latest RB video on YouTube. Suggestion: remove the requirement to sell ships when resetting lines. Let the players KEEP their tech tree ships.

A fix for point 1 I would say is a queue point system - each ship has points for Offense - Defense - AA - Spotting and Aircraft and subs once introduced a separate subset. - MM teams to a balance or near point equivalent per team. So that way even if the teams are stacked for one ship the attribution and points re equal or it might split the repetition of ships between between both teams.

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles

Another fix would be to make random battles more structured to RANKs - You vs members of the equal skill level and the more you improve the better people you play. Think CS:GO - Valorant etc

Edited by DobbyM8

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,158 posts
23,954 battles

@DobbyM8 have you been tasked with gathering, assessing, compiling and presenting community concerns to someone official in WG or are you just having a chat?

Cuz some of the stuff in this thread has been kicking aorund the community for ages, most notably a skill based MM but no liklihood of that eventuating has ever manifested.

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles

@Max_Battle Not tasked mate but I have raised this within the CC member community and have highlighted this thread to WG so they can assist and improve the game.

As a CC I want to promote the best game possible and provide both a conduit on how to make the game more enjoyable to WG and to the wider community.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,158 posts
23,954 battles
Just now, DobbyM8 said:

@Max_Battle Not tasked mate but I have raised this within the CC member community and have highlighted this thread to WG so they can assist and improve the game.

As a CC I want to promote the best game possible and provide both a conduit on how to make the game more enjoyable to WG and to the wider community.

Good luck.

But everything in this thread so far has been kicking around for years.

Not sure what your weight can bring to it but I will buy you a beer if you can get +/- 1 Tier or Skill Based MM in the game.

Hell, I'll buy you a slab.

I reckon I'll be drinking all my beer but.

[-FUN-]
524 posts
8,425 battles
25 minutes ago, DobbyM8 said:

Another fix would be to make random battles more structured to RANKs - You vs members of the equal skill level and the move you improve the better people you play. This CS:GO - Valorant etc

This is the Holy Grail.. it will eliminate bots issue by excluding them from normal ppl plays, as bots often have low stats/"Ranks"

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles
1 minute ago, zergling_ said:

This is the Holy Grail.. it will eliminate bots issue by excluding them from normal ppl plays, as bots often have low stats/"Ranks"

All but my horrible English- sigh auto correct.

I think a move like this would make random battles more focused towards missions and lower tier rewards and ranked or lets call it 'competitive' could focus on making the gaming competitive and can service people who enjoy the competition nature vs those who play it as a relax and YOLO type game.

Which is totally fine by the way but either gameplay types doesn't work well together.

[CLAY]
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,158 posts
23,954 battles
9 minutes ago, Earl_of_Arland said:

Here's my recent thread on a rather very specific issues

Looks like Judge Dredd validates your concerns lol!

[LBAS]
2,063 posts
3,738 battles

After the CC saying AP Bomb need nerf, i would say 2/3 of its idea is well biased and never think long term

Just remember when WG doing CV rework everyone is so hyped about CV no longer be able to control the entire map. 

In the end both CV player and surface pheasant got screwed.

Nerfing AP Bomb mean BIG NERF for DD. CV player will pick HE Bomb all the time. 

Its also buff BB and Heavy CA... A bullshit for CL and normal CA. 

F3 getting timer is the most stupid idea ever..... What if you wrong targeting F3? 

I am spamming F3 everyday and not always people realize until i hit more.

_----------------------------------

Nerfing the German CV? Seriously? More like buff IJN CV. 

I CAN write essay long enough...... But people wont care.

WG biggest mistake is always listening. 

You cannt Grant everyone wish, everyone have their own agenda.

I want T8 Yamashiro

Unicum player want exclusive OP ship

BB player demand nerf or delete CV

CV player want the return of RTS cancer

WG should only listen to DD player

- if radar being stupid its stupid

- if Rocket deal to much damage it did

- if AP Bomb didnt harm DD, its true

- if DD complaining Ally stay in the back its true

- Its so damn true 

Buffing BB will cause BB sniper meta

Buffing CA will cause BB coward meta

Buffing CV will cause profit 

Buffing DD will increase DD player, more knife fight, more exciting, more adrenalin

The most fun you can get....

The Thrill of battle!

CV is used to thrilling and heart beating. But CV rework ruining that aspect. Its basically low risk high reward class compared to RTS High risk high reward.

DD? High risk low reward class....

The one who happily playing DD is Weeb or Khorne worshipper. Or maybe an idiot, knowing the class is disastrous to play.... Yet play it.

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles
3 hours ago, Skarhabek said:

After the CC saying AP Bomb need nerf, i would say 2/3 of its idea is well biased and never think long term

Just remember when WG doing CV rework everyone is so hyped about CV no longer be able to control the entire map. 

In the end both CV player and surface pheasant got screwed.

Nerfing AP Bomb mean BIG NERF for DD. CV player will pick HE Bomb all the time. 

Its also buff BB and Heavy CA... A bullshit for CL and normal CA. 

F3 getting timer is the most stupid idea ever..... What if you wrong targeting F3? 

I am spamming F3 everyday and not always people realize until i hit more.

_----------------------------------

Nerfing the German CV? Seriously? More like buff IJN CV. 

I CAN write essay long enough...... But people wont care.

WG biggest mistake is always listening. 

You cannt Grant everyone wish, everyone have their own agenda.

I want T8 Yamashiro

Unicum player want exclusive OP ship

BB player demand nerf or delete CV

CV player want the return of RTS cancer

WG should only listen to DD player

- if radar being stupid its stupid

- if Rocket deal to much damage it did

- if AP Bomb didnt harm DD, its true

- if DD complaining Ally stay in the back its true

- Its so damn true 

Buffing BB will cause BB sniper meta

Buffing CA will cause BB coward meta

Buffing CV will cause profit 

Buffing DD will increase DD player, more knife fight, more exciting, more adrenalin

The most fun you can get....

The Thrill of battle!

CV is used to thrilling and heart beating. But CV rework ruining that aspect. Its basically low risk high reward class compared to RTS High risk high reward.

DD? High risk low reward class....

The one who happily playing DD is Weeb or Khorne worshipper. Or maybe an idiot, knowing the class is disastrous to play.... Yet play it.

All valid points and thanks for raising your issues and concerns. 

I think the F3 timer point (not raised by me but rather others who play the game) is to reward people more for spotting, taking charge and targeting ships together and as such but a timer on it as people wpuld abuse this purely for points.

Agree that before lowering any attack on a CV or ship in general first make all other ships in the class comparable.

And lastly i know that all these points can't be fixed and certainly adjusting any area makes issues pop up and inturn they will need adjusting.

I think if we find a way to balance MM a touch to the point the ships yoi face a re in a closer level proximity then the issues aren't as apparent and nerfs and buffs can be slowly added and removed to find a better balance or lile recommended maybe the addition of a competitive mode is a good idea.

[NAU]
ST Coordinator
51 posts
6,537 battles
23 minutes ago, DobbyM8 said:

I think the F3 timer point (not raised by me but rather others who play the game) is to reward people more for spotting, taking charge and targeting ships together and as such but a timer on it as people wpuld abuse this purely for points.

The biggest issue is that changing F3 to operate like you suggested, is that it assumes that your it relies on your teammates playing as a team which rarely happens as it is.

27 minutes ago, DobbyM8 said:

I think if we find a way to balance MM a touch to the point the ships yoi face a re in a closer level proximity then the issues aren't as apparent and nerfs and buffs can be slowly added and removed to find a better balance or lile recommended maybe the addition of a competitive mode is a good idea.

Skill based MM and +1/-1 MM have being floating around the community for years, and has been consistently being shot down by WG I don't think this is going to change anytime soon. The best I suspect the community can hope for would be better mirroring of ship capabilities between the teams (equal number of radar ships on each team).

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,560 posts
11,951 battles

Really could improve the formatting in that copy-paste @DobbyM8... If you are running into issues removing certain 'styles' try copying into notepad, it removes them. I mean it's not a deal breaker but trust me, good formatting leads to your message being taken seriously and digested more easily, poor formatting is more likely to be ignored.

But to your topic...

ISSUE - Not enough low-mid cost content (upto 40k RP).

ISSUE - Only niche incentive to engage in Research Bureau.

SOLUTION - [to both] Implement a cosmetic system in the RB. Cost should be between 1-2 regrinds (so no more than a x2) for 1 level of cosmetic. Multiple levels, at least 5 are suggested, more are possible.

First level - Perma Camo. A Simple, one-colour one, a good example is something like the 'Black' camo (obvs not that one though). Perma camo can be applied to any one ship in a line that has been regrinded.

Second Level - Accent colour [players choice, limited colour palette options]

Third Level - First Decal 'type'. Have things like camo pattern, chevrons, spots, basic decent looking stuff. Colour players choice.

Fourth Level - Second Decal

Fifth Level - Final Decal, added options, things like accented first two decals, etc.

Sixth and subsequents - If you go this far, then go for smaller accents like barrel stripes (think WoT Marks).

At a specific level you could even add the function that the ship now functions like a premium for Captain purposes, adding further incentive to unlock. Each level is only accessed once the line has been regrinded that number of times.

ISSUE - XP Rewards are skewed towards Damage and a couple of other things (Caps/Decaps), incentivising farming and play in those areas.

SOLUTION - Rework the XP rewards to favour teamplay aspects like focusing on a target or forcing DCP/perma fires.

Examples:

Enemy DCP used, ally who has set fires or destroyed modules that are repaired gets a small bonus. Same ally then gets minor XP rewards for any Perma fires set.

Shooting an enemy another ally is shooting provides slightly more rewards than one that is not.

Spotting torpedoes that end up near your allies provides XP rewards.

Spotting damage rewarded properly

Potential damage rewards increased

There are plenty of other areas and means to improve the system, so I'll leave this with an etc.

XP rewards should be provided for the sort of teamplay that's healthy for the game. Reward play we want to see, not the selfish play we don't.

The biggest thing will be feedback with the new system, players need to know that doing good team-stuff gives better rewards.

ISSUE - Not enough Scenario content due to 'unpopular game mode'

SOLUTION - Release regular content. Deapite what WG says, I know large sections of the playerbase clamouring for even just the return of scenarios that were lost. We want more, there is no reason why we shouldn't at least get one new one every 6 months.

Build it and they will come, without a nice variety of content of course people won't play it... Even when it was more 'popular' how many tier options for scenarios were there? 3, Tiers 6-7-8...

It is the perfect game mode for beginners as a stepping stone between Coop and Randoms and is great for introducing those players to clan-based teamwork.

Not to mention that 'new' and more inexperienced players are the backbone of this game. Get to 20 different, good scenarios with mission chains and events that support them and then tell me that the mode isn't popular.

Honestly, such a dumb response 'Operations aren't popular enough'...

ISSUE - Concealment is a must pick for every ship in the game and advantages those who have played longer.

SOLUTION - Remove all concealment buffs and apply them to every ship. If you must, keep the Camo-related ones (understandable as it's tied to purchase).

This will actually benefit build options as it will free up an upgrade slot and captain points.

At the moment large chunks of the build-meta are autopicks for every ship and something as core to the game as concealment disproportionately advantages those who play more, giving a blatant combat advantage to those who need it least.

I know Captain skills are being reworked, why not slap the change in with this so all changes are happening at once.

Only major struggle will be to balance all the slot 5 legendaries the easiest way would be to ad concealment nerfs to most of them.

No further concealment buffs should be provided without a serious drawback, there needs to actually be a cost to gaining an advantage in such a fundamental area of the game.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there are other issues, I just don't have enough of a solution to go through them properly just now, e.g. HE/fire spam, Improved AP pen angles, etc. (Yes improved AP Pen angles are bad for the game as they break core concepts that should always work - e.g. angling).

Inconsistent laws are a bad thing for game longevity as it directly impacts the new player experience... There's always one more exception and one more rule with exceptions for new players to remember. They either don't learn them and don't understand what happens or can't remember them and hate it all the same...

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 3

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles
22 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Really could improve the formatting in that copy-paste @DobbyM8... If you are running into issues removing certain 'styles' try copying into notepad, it removes them. I mean it's not a deal breaker but trust me, good formatting leads to your message being taken seriously and digested more easily, poor formatting is more likely to be ignored.

But to your topic...

ISSUE - Not enough low-mid cost content (upto 40k RP).

ISSUE - Only niche incentive to engage in Research Bureau.

SOLUTION - [to both] Implement a cosmetic system in the RB. Cost should be between 1-2 regrinds (so no more than a x2) for 1 level of cosmetic. Multiple levels, at least 5 are suggested, more are possible.

First level - Perma Camo. A Simple, one-colour one, a good example is something like the 'Black' camo (obvs not that one though). Perma camo can be applied to any one ship in a line that has been regrinded.

Second Level - Accent colour [players choice, limited colour palette options]

Third Level - First Decal 'type'. Have things like camo pattern, chevrons, spots, basic decent looking stuff. Colour players choice.

Fourth Level - Second Decal

Fifth Level - Final Decal, added options, things like accented first two decals, etc.

Sixth and subsequents - If you go this far, then go for smaller accents like barrel stripes (think WoT Marks).

At a specific level you could even add the function that the ship now functions like a premium for Captain purposes, adding further incentive to unlock. Each level is only accessed once the line has been regrinded that number of times.

ISSUE - XP Rewards are skewed towards Damage and a couple of other things (Caps/Decaps), incentivising farming and play in those areas.

SOLUTION - Rework the XP rewards to favour teamplay aspects like focusing on a target or forcing DCP/perma fires.

Examples:

Enemy DCP used, ally who has set fires or destroyed modules that are repaired gets a small bonus. Same ally then gets minor XP rewards for any Perma fires set.

Shooting an enemy another ally is shooting provides slightly more rewards than one that is not.

Spotting torpedoes that end up near your allies provides XP rewards.

Spotting damage rewarded properly

Potential damage rewards increased

There are plenty of other areas and means to improve the system, so I'll leave this with an etc.

XP rewards should be provided for the sort of teamplay that's healthy for the game. Reward play we want to see, not the selfish play we don't.

The biggest thing will be feedback with the new system, players need to know that doing good team-stuff gives better rewards.

ISSUE - Not enough Scenario content due to 'unpopular game mode'

SOLUTION - Release regular content. Deapite what WG says, I know large sections of the playerbase clamouring for even just the return of scenarios that were lost. We want more, there is no reason why we shouldn't at least get one new one every 6 months.

Build it and they will come, without a nice variety of content of course people won't play it... Even when it was more 'popular' how many tier options for scenarios were there? 3, Tiers 6-7-8...

It is the perfect game mode for beginners as a stepping stone between Coop and Randoms and is great for introducing those players to clan-based teamwork.

Not to mention that 'new' and more inexperienced players are the backbone of this game. Get to 20 different, good scenarios with mission chains and events that support them and then tell me that the mode isn't popular.

Honestly, such a dumb response 'Operations aren't popular enough'...

ISSUE - Concealment is a must pick for every ship in the game and advantages those who have played longer.

SOLUTION - Remove all concealment buffs and apply them to every ship. If you must, keep the Camo-related ones (understandable as it's tied to purchase).

This will actually benefit build options as it will free up an upgrade slot and captain points.

At the moment large chunks of the build-meta are autopicks for every ship and something as core to the game as concealment disproportionately advantages those who play more, giving a blatant combat advantage to those who need it least.

I know Captain skills are being reworked, why not slap the change in with this so all changes are happening at once.

Only major struggle will be to balance all the slot 5 legendaries the easiest way would be to ad concealment nerfs to most of them.

No further concealment buffs should be provided without a serious drawback, there needs to actually be a cost to gaining an advantage in such a fundamental area of the game.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, there are other issues, I just don't have enough of a solution to go through them properly just now, e.g. HE/fire spam, Improved AP pen angles, etc. (Yes improved AP Pen angles are bad for the game as they break core concepts that should always work - e.g. angling).

Inconsistent laws are a bad thing for game longevity as it directly impacts the new player experience... There's always one more exception and one more rule with exceptions for new players to remember. They either don't learn them and don't understand what happens or can't remember them and hate it all the same...

Thanks for the tips mate - Adjusted slightly to reflect your points. Hahaha I was a touch tired last night and wanted to send these out ASAP. Amended now.

-Dobby

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,560 posts
11,951 battles
33 minutes ago, DobbyM8 said:

Thanks for the tips mate - Adjusted slightly to reflect your points. Hahaha I was a touch tired last night and wanted to send these out ASAP. Amended now.

-Dobby

That's so much better... I completely understand being tired, was merely trying to help!

Meant to say - great thread!! :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,560 posts
11,951 battles
10 hours ago, DobbyM8 said:

The main thing is that there needs to be viable counterplay

Completely disagree with this.

The whole game is designed around no counterplay... BB has nothing vs DD, DD has very little against a radar CA.

The core concept of the game is no counterplay, being rock-paper-scissors. People just bought into that logical fallacy because it sounds like a good argument and it was spouted by flamu.

WG haven't helped this, not explaining CV rework mechanics (AA is there to minimise successive passes not prevent them entirely) and by implemented ships that have fewer class weaknesses (soviet deck armour v HE, Petro's absurd tankiness, etc)

Honestly, the 'no counterplay' argument REALLY grinds my gears.

Teamwork you muppets, teamwork is the counterplay, protect your flipping allies, it's a bleeding flipping TEAM game... Then your allies 'counterplay' the enemy... $!^#^%,!%

ERGH

We wouldn't have this issue as much if WG could communicate better.

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 4

[LGNDS]
Community Contributor
33 posts
3,785 battles

I think rewarding teamplay as much as a kill will certainly help and training people / focusing missions towards this will only increase this attribute.

Imagine someone who spots a ship and subsequently F3's a target - and the ship gets destroyed by a BB and you get a bonus or multiplier equal to a kill.

I completely understand this can have an adverse effect but I think its worth a try non the less

• Cool 1

[TWR]
1,325 posts
5,173 battles

After being around and playing constantly since a week into OBT,I stopped playing regularly a year ago,mainly due to constant nerfing of Scenario's ,and copy/paste dumbing down of maps to where they are all the same.

Scenario's:

S4pp3R already brought them up,but I would also like to add that WG needs to stop nerfing them,especially Narai.WG seems to have a policy that if players are having to much fun,they have to nerf it.

With Narai we had the first version which was a blast,and players were having a great time with it.The second version was played a lot slower,but still a lot of fun.But even that eventually got dumbed down where they took the random spawns of some of the ships away which varied things a bit.I haven't played it I think since early last year due to getting boring,and the extra changes that keep bugging it out from other players reports.

Part of it is also that WG apparently didn't like the farming of XP and credits going on,in which case they should have just left the mission alone,and reduced the awards.Also I seen remarks ( I don't know how accuarate they are ) that WG is trying to get players out of Scenarios and PvE and into PvP with the changes they have been making to stuff like Scenario's.

It would also be good if they brought back the first two versions of Narai alternately ( with the changes needed due to the CV rework ).

The Scenario's are a good feature,and a break from the usual PvE/PvP and keep people playing,and unless you hit off peak for a region there are always players in them ready to go.

I started playing Star Trek Online earlier in the year,which has quite a few featues like Scenario's,but none of the ones I have played in it so far really have the replayability the WoWs Scenario's have.Considering Warships has been around only half the time of STO,it shows how WG was able to get things right where you could play the same missions repeatdely and not get bored with them.

Maps:

WG has also been dumbing the maps for a few years now.New maps are usually cookie cutter jobs,and old ones are being slowly changed in the name of 'balance' into the cookie cutter fromat,instead of gameplay challenges.

What has happened to Islands of Ice is a prime example,this is a thread posted a couple of years ago on the NA forum showing its changes of the years:

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/167793-the-evolution-of-islands-of-ice/

The first 2 were fun to play on,and even the third was still unique enough to provide some challenge,now we have the fourth one which is one of the most boring maps in the game ( I prefer Ocean over it!).

Since that fourth map has come out,the newer maps seem to follow the same style,and other older maps have been dumbed down to a similar look with different colour pallete's.

Would also add that Ocean I would like to see added back to a more regular appearance.Its a controversial map ( last topic I seen on the NA forum was a lot of for/against ),but I find it a good challenge.

Edited by BanditSE1977
  • Cool 3