Kempf

IJN Ensign - it's happening

18 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

o7

It's me again. Sorry to create multiple threads in such a short time period, but I think I found something important:

AwZ8yCE.png

Rising Sun flag textures have actually been added to the game. Just updated, no mods. What could it possibly mean? *suspicious*

P.S. Please keep the replies civil, I don't want this thread locked.

thread locked at op request

~dead_man_walking

Edited by dead_man_walking

[LLBC]
Super Tester
750 posts
3,309 battles

Just checked mine, nothing there??

Flags seem to get pulled from res\content\gameplay\common\flags\flags.dds now - atleast that's what I had to edit to get the RSF mod working again

JYC3PlG.jpg

edit: just checked my 2nd 'vanilla' install - not there either

Edited by Gunduck

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

Strange. Either way, the "flags" folder doesn't seem to be complete - "RM057_Flag_a" (St. Andrews flag from Aurora) isn't there.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

o7

It's me again. Sorry to create multiple threads in such a short time period, but I think I found something important:

AwZ8yCE.png

Rising Sun flag textures have actually been added to the game. Just updated, no mods. What could it possibly mean? *suspicious*

P.S. Please keep the replies civil, I don't want this thread locked.

Thats most certainly a remnant from using the old mod. Those flags are not used for display on ships anymore.

[SGC]
Super Tester
1,459 posts
6,798 battles

What was the cause of the flag getting banned anyway?

I'll let AALG explain that to you. Because if I were to explain it I would probably get RO'd.

To put it simply. A certain group of people seem to have feelings towards a certain flag because it meant a certain something to them.

And WG needs the money for SerB's Space Program.

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

Thats most certainly a remnant from using the old mod. Those flags are not used for display on ships anymore.

Wait a second, why the new name then? Fairly sure the flag was called "[...]flag_a.dds", not "[...]flag_d.dds".

Oh well, if no one else can confirm this, I guess it was a false alarm.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Wait a second, why the new name then? Fairly sure the flag was called "[...]flag_a.dds", not "[...]flag_d.dds".

Oh well, if no one else can confirm this, I guess it was a false alarm.

At one point in time, there was two files used. See the original thread in the old deprecated Alpha section : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/189-testing-japanese-rising-sun-flag-%e8%88%8a%e6%97%a5%e6%9c%ac%e6%b5%b7%e8%bb%8d%e6%97%ad%e6%97%a5%e6%97%97-mods-on-wows/

(cant recall if beta testers can read the deprecated Alpha section, if you cant, holler, and I'll copy the post over.)

Edited by AALG

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

What was the cause of the flag getting banned anyway?

Its globally across all the servers, and across all WG games. Has been like that for ages.

The reason for it is stated here : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/1286-japanese-ships-naval-flag/page__pid__12145#entry12145

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

At one point in time, there was two files used. See the original thread in the old deprecated Alpha section : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/189-testing-japanese-rising-sun-flag-%e8%88%8a%e6%97%a5%e6%9c%ac%e6%b5%b7%e8%bb%8d%e6%97%ad%e6%97%a5%e6%97%97-mods-on-wows/

(cant recall if beta testers can read the deprecated Alpha section, if you cant, holler, and I'll copy the post over.)

Ah, okay then. Either way, please do copy it over, I can't access it. 

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

here's the gist of what AALG did:

As Nagato said, there is some controversy involved with the Rising Sun flag, so just as WG haven't included the swastika or other nazi related logos in World Of Tanks, the Rising Sun pennant will not feature in WoT nor WoWS.

I reckon there will be plenty of modders and skinners who will provide a mod when the game is released, and the mod file struture is implemented in the client. Currently it is not implemented, so adding the flag might break future updates.

But here is the procedure and file, if you want to change it in the Alpha client. Just be sure to follow the procedure, so you can revert back to the stock alpha client, before updates.

A) close the client

B) browse to the textures folder for japanese warships in the WoWS alpha client installation folder (typically C:\Games\World_of_Warships\assets\textures\content\gameplay\japan\misc\textures)

C) find and rename the original flag file JM001_flag_d.dds to JM001_flag_d.org, so you have it for safekeeping.

D) download and unpack the new JM001_flag_d.dds file from the attached zipfile, ( Attached File   JM001_flag_d.zip   16.48K and place it into the folder, replacing the flag with the rising sun version.

E) Donate at least 50 USD to the WG ASIA Moderators Summer Ball And Picnic foundation, or promise to buy at least 5 USD worth of gold upon release of WoWS

F) Start the client

After the latest patch, the JM001_flag.d.dds file in the above zip file, needs to be to to JM001_flag.a.dds, and substitute the JM001_flag_a.dds file in the above folder as well.

EDIT 30/12/2014 : With the new patch, textures and ressources has changed locations, probably in preparation to be compressed into .pkg files and introduction of res_mods, replays etc..

So the new location for the modification to get the rising sun flag in 0.2.3 is typically : C:\Games\World_of_Warships\res\content\gameplay\japan\misc\textures\

And two files need to be replaced : JM001_flag_a.dds & JM001_flag_d.dds. 

Just move those two files to a another location on your system for safekeeping, then copy the dds file in the original postto JM001_flag_a.dds & JM001_flag_d.dds in the above folder.

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

Rising sun threads bring all the mods to the yard o/

Thanks for the clarification, dead_man_walking. You can lock the thread now as nothing's "happening".

Edited by Kempf

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Rising sun threads bring all the mods to the yard o/

Thanks for the clarification, dead_man_walking. You can lock the thread now as nothing's "happening".

In our position would you

Beta Tester
172 posts
58 battles

In our position would you

Nah, I would totally join the fun, too (I'm going to pretend I didn't notice the link).

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Nah, I would totally join the fun, too (I'm going to pretend I didn't notice the link).

i wouldn't call it fun ..... 

(little secret the less we have to do the better we feel about the job)

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Smaller print please. Don't want the bosses to see it. And they all use spectacles, so....

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Smaller print please. Don't want the bosses to see it. And they all use spectacles, so....

make that most of us.....