Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
unknownaussie

So over 12 months ago Wargaming .......added world of warplanes and called it carrier gameplay so whats peoples opinion after 12 months?

59 comments in this topic

[TF44]
Beta Tester
195 posts
4,663 battles

honestly i really dont like the new system as a DD player its so irritating at the start of games carriers can just harass you and take 3 quarters of your health with one rocketplane squadron coming in for 3 or 4 strikes and theres nothing you can do about it its just not fun and DD gameplay as hard enough as it is what are you ment to do camp at the back with the BB's and aa Wargaming Really should just remove carriers from the game completely it will make the game more enjoyable and balanced  i mean hey who likes loosing 20+K Health in a tier 10 bb from german dive bombers and you cant do anything about it such fun and engaging mechanics 

[CLAY]
3,232 posts
14,200 battles

While it requires a little more skill and though on behalf of a DD player playing against a CV, I find the bigger problem of playing a DD against CV is the spotting potential of the CV.

When spotted, it’s the CV’s allies who all start to shoot you, while you’re trying to dodge, which really kills DDs.

Yes, CVs have always had the ability to hunt and spot DDs for their allies, but since the rework, instead of 1/10 CV games, it’s now 9/10. So now in most games you have fast moving planes which can track down DDs for its allies.

Except in those games when I’m in a BB, being hunted by DD, our DDs are dead, and our and CV is going after BB on other side of map. 😛

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SMOKE]
2,510 posts
18,035 battles

It was broken when launched and still broken as of now .. the core mechanics favored the CV for them to be able to do their part at the cost of sacrificing everyone else, just a casual check at low to mid tier games , 2CV all the time and well ... and high tier is a whole load of chaos , kind of play together with all the other mechanism at play and the mechanism that's lacking , it stall the game play for many and create or at least highly promote the stagnant gameplay we had today

• Cool 2

[OVR50]
37 posts
10,411 battles

When the CV rework was released I thought I'd take a break from WoWS until the CVs were properly balanced.

After 6 months I started playing again because I got tired of waiting.

When Subs are released I'll take another break for the same reason, but this time I many not be back.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
[LBAS]
168 posts
9,089 battles

learn from the failure, learn how to dodge, learn to sail with teammate when necessary. when you got more experience on how to deal with cv you will found out the dd game is really fun. 

right now , dd got so much good advantage on air spot range(2.3km-2.5km) and WG had been nerfing cv almost every patch as to take care of these dd players. 

if you hate cv, play halland or friesland. wg special design dd to hunt planes! it really good for you guys. buy/grind it! you wont regret ! i swear

• Cool 2

[TF44]
Beta Tester
195 posts
4,663 battles
1 minute ago, Reset_kala said:

learn from the failure, learn how to dodge, learn to sail with teammate when necessary. when you got more experience on how to deal with cv you will found out the dd game is really fun. 

right now , dd got so much good advantage on air spot range(2.3km-2.5km) and WG had been nerfing cv almost every patch as to take care of these dd players. 

if you hate cv, play halland or friesland. wg special design dd to hunt planes! it really good for you guys. buy/grind it! you wont regret ! i swear

im trying to grind up the uk dd line for example my last battle the tier 6 jap cv just would not leave me alone lost 3 quarters of my health in 2 minutes of the game and theres nothing i could do about it thats not just fun thats just stupid and its a really broken game mechanic and needs to be removed from the game completely its gonna get worse when subs get added

[4RSE]
403 posts
10,856 battles
2 minutes ago, unknownaussie said:

im trying to grind up the uk dd line for example my last battle the tier 6 jap cv just would not leave me alone lost 3 quarters of my health in 2 minutes of the game and theres nothing i could do about it thats not just fun thats just stupid and its a really broken game mechanic and needs to be removed from the game completely its gonna get worse when subs get added

Everyone knows the DD is the most dangerous ship in the game. Of course a good CV player is going to focus on eliminating the greatest threat first. What bugs me the most is when playing a BB, more often than not, my CV player ignores the DD's all game, which always results in that red DD sinking too many green ships.

When I play the CV, I make finding DD's my top priority. 

• Cool 1

[ANZAC]
Beta Tester
638 posts
4,457 battles
7 minutes ago, Reset_kala said:

and all that does nothing , dodge doesnt work , even for DD .  ive built crusier with AA builds and planes just fly through it and hit you , you might get luck and take out a wave of fighter , but that happen 1 in every 10 times 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[TF44]
Beta Tester
195 posts
4,663 battles
Just now, kongman said:

and all that does nothing , dodge doesnt work , even for DD .  ive built crusier with AA builds and planes just fly through it and hit you , you might get luck and take out a wave of fighter , but that happen 1 in every 10 times 

exactly my point

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,684 posts
5,769 battles

I love the cv gameplay, and the achievement WG made with this addition is rather incredible.

I was thinking the other night if they added subs and pt/ e boats, that they could also add a machine gun or cannon strafe to the rocket planes, for attacking those boats.

[ANZAC]
Beta Tester
638 posts
4,457 battles
13 minutes ago, unknownaussie said:

exactly my point

its garbage , AA used to work now its junk and CV just hit what they want ............

[LBAS]
[LBAS]
168 posts
9,089 battles

cj09rpjwe0v51.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

dd life except  IJN Harugumo, HSwMS Halland and HSwMS Småland are the most scary little bastards!

• Funny 2

[151ST]
3,561 posts
11,951 battles

I can't even...

CVs are targeting you because you are the strongest class (DD).

If you are having issues with them then plainly put you need to work on your positioning and basic skills because if you play carefully the issue isn't the rockets, it's the spotting.

Basically CVs punish poor positioning.

• Cool 6

5,696 posts
9,513 battles

Besides AP bombs and spotting and punishing lone ships, reworked CVs are even more pathetic than DDs, that is to say "very pathetic".

TLDR, CVs in general are no more than a nuisance besides spotting.

Edited by Paladinum

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,887 battles

Overall the game is in a really fun spot right now.  Balance is pretty good, and I personally really enjoy it.

I'm a DD main, playing about 60% DD, 30% CV, 10% BB, 0% cruiser.  I have absolutely no issues with CV's, they aren't any more difficult to play against than any other class.  You do need to do different things though.  Every class, and really every individual ship on the enemy team, requires you to adapt your play for that battle to the individual strengths and weaknesses of those ships.

3 hours ago, kongman said:

3 hours ago, unknownaussie said:

and theres nothing i could do about it

This simply isn't true.  A well played DD has no issue with CV's.  Don't think that AA is there to protect you, it isn't - AA is a mechanic for the CV, not for the surface ship.  The purpose of AA is to provide a time limit to a CV to surface ship interaction, to provide a decision making process for CV players to pick the targets they will most effectively be able to influence the game by targeting, and to provide consequences for poor CV decision making and execution.

The way you play against CV's is, at its most basic level, the way you play against every other ship - positioning and maneuvering well.  You position in such a way that any attack on you has a low chance of damage, and so that the ingress/egress routes for the CV make it costly for them, or time consuming, or both.  Experience playing CV's definitely helps here.  You combine that with maneuvering correctly when under attack, and you are setup for success.

I play my DD's every day against CV's, and am consistently successful.  I find the cat and mouse of DD vs CV play extremely fun and satisfying, and it is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game for me.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1

5,696 posts
9,513 battles
3 hours ago, unknownaussie said:

1. What did you do that allowed a CV to take 3/4 of your ship's HP in 2 mins? By a Ryujo even? Sitting in place waiting for smoke seems to be the only thing that can make that happen. Which, if true, sounds like you let that happen just to point the blaming finger at something you don't like.

2. A lot of people seem to be psyching themselves into thinking that subs are even worse than, or as bad as, CVs. Hilarious. Subs don't even bring anything new. Still surface-to-surface spotting. Still surface-to-surface attacks. They are no more than very stealthy DDs with little HP and little manueverability.

• Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,785 posts
28,575 battles
4 hours ago, kongman said:

4 hours ago, unknownaussie said:

exactly my point

3 hours ago, kongman said:

its garbage , AA used to work now its junk and CV just hit what they want ............

"MuH Aa"

people here, on Reddit and god, knows where else they've been complaining about this have said probably hundreds of times.

AA isn't designed to lock out planes, they are fundamentally designed to act as a deterrent and a delayed measure to make sure the CV cant come back for repeated strikes. what's happening now is that WG wants the CV to get at least one strike in before the squad get wiped since singular strikes do terrible damage for the amount of time it takes to actually initiate one, and if AA I strong to the point where a single ship can stop a full squad then CVs might as well be useless since ships travel in groups and the AA stack up

in layman's terms:

WG hard-capped the damage per strike and made it so CVs need to come back for repeated strikes to get their damage, the AA mechanic has been changed to prevent repeated strikes as opposed to prevent getting damaged

at the end of the day, it's still all about map awareness and damage mitigation. are certain CVs OP? sure some of them are, like how belfast, musashi and GC are OP. but people don't complain about them as a class anymore then they are whining how Albemarle, GK and NY are UP

tho to be fair, it's not even the AA isn't doing what it's supposed to, it's just that captain skills/modules that boost AA don't generally do much and MAA is literally a debuff to AA... so WG did screw up there, I've honestly like to see AA lowered a bit across the board and make the AA skills more effective so there are actual incentives and bonus to taking them 

Edited by Drakon233
  • Cool 2

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,785 posts
28,575 battles
6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

1. What did you do that allowed a CV to take 3/4 of your ship's HP in 2 mins? By a Ryujo even? Sitting in place waiting for smoke seems to be the only thing that can make that happen. Which, if true, sounds like you let that happen just to point the blaming finger at something you don't like.

it's a RJ, which means that he had to have been eating torps. the rockets are crap on that thing and 2 minutes isn't enough for him to rotate a 2nd squad in to whack him again

I mean he could have been broadsideing the rockets and waiting for them to drop him but if that's the case then getting whacked is on him

Edited by Drakon233

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles

I mostly play high tier dds, and very very often Halland, the combination of long range torps and the ability to make CVs think twice is well suited to the current meta if you want to play dds.

Learning how to deal with CVs is a vital part of your armoury.

However I recently played some low tier dds for the 5 Epoch missions and its a whole different story. Many games with 2 CVs, AA which is so weak you have almost no deterrent value. It was not pleasant having a couple of CVs hunt you down. Having a much lower detection distance meant that you could pretty much be evasive so there was no attack run as soon as you were spotted, but the moment both CVs decided to get you it was simply a matter of time.  

Maybe it would be a lot easier to tolerate if CV spotting only gave vague targeting info for surface ships. Maybe dispersion on firing at at target spotted by a CV is increased by 5% so that you are not exposing all your hip points as easily once a CV, who has no skin (ship hp) in the spotting game, locates you.  

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,860 battles

What's my opinion on CVs? Barring some small issues they are generally in a good spot and are a great addition to the game. 

I find the extra gameplay elements CVs to be very refreshing since a CV game plays a lot different (and better imo) than a game without CVs.

Also it has been nearly 2 years since the CV rework, and WG has said repeatedly that CVs are here to stay, so best learn how to deal with it.

As a sidenote when are the forum downvote buttons coming back?

5,696 posts
9,513 battles
Just now, Thyaliad said:

As a sidenote when are the forum downvote buttons coming back?

When are all the negative reactions coming back? Also the "wtf" one that NA has?

• Cool 1

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,785 posts
28,575 battles
6 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

Maybe it would be a lot easier to tolerate if CV spotting only gave vague targeting info for surface ships. Maybe dispersion on firing at at target spotted by a CV is increased by 5% so that you are not exposing all your hip points as easily once a CV, who has no skin (ship hp) in the spotting game, locates you.  

yeah honestly that's a good idea, most of the time what kills you in a DD isn't even the CV's drops anyways. it's more getting spotted when getting to close to the enemies trying to reposition and getting monged down by their fleet

as for lower tiered CVs... the only one I would consider to be overpowered (and it's extremely overpowered) is hosho and maybe the pair of prems at T6, the rest of them have pretty shitty damage output in even the most skilled player's hands that's hard-capped by the low speed and low damage on the strike packages, it doesn't really matter how suriveable the planes are if they arnt doing damage...

5,696 posts
9,513 battles
Just now, Drakon233 said:

yeah honestly that's a good idea, most of the time what kills you in a DD isn't even the CV's drops anyways. it's more getting spotted when getting to close to the enemies trying to reposition and getting monged down by their fleet

Well WG have been testing that sh*t for Clan battles (I thinkit was added for Clan Battles), but yeah, if a CV spots me in a DD (or any ship in that matter), it's the surface ships that end me, rarely ever a CV could kill me, unless when I'm already too low on HP.

[MRI]
3,795 posts
16,860 battles
29 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

What did you do that allowed a CV to take 3/4 of your ship's HP in 2 mins? By a Ryujo even? Sitting in place waiting for smoke seems to be the only thing that can make that happen. Which, if true, sounds like you let that happen just to point the blaming finger at something you don't like.

Most likely did nothing, if one is able to lose 3/4 of a DD's HP to an RJ in 2 mins.

Probably threw up their hands in the air screaming "CVs OP!" when seeing planes approach, not attempting any evasive moves...

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,497 posts
11,887 battles
11 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Well WG have been testing that sh*t for Clan battles (I thinkit was added for Clan Battles), but yeah, if a CV spots me in a DD (or any ship in that matter), it's the surface ships that end me, rarely ever a CV could kill me, unless when I'm already too low on HP.

They were testing it, but have decided not to go forward with any spotting changes. 

From the latest Q&A last week: Carriers have excellent capabilities to detect enemy ships and can be overly effective in this regard, especially in competitive modes. We are actively engaged in this issue. However, recent tests of changes in the spotting mechanics have not yielded the desired results: the mechanics in the game should be simple and clear to everyone, and testing has shown that our latest ideas did not cope with this task and made the gameplay unnecessarily complicated. Therefore, we are in search of new possible solutions.

Sign in to follow this