Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

A rant

15 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
1,461 posts
12,809 battles

It's official. CV and BB numbers are up, DD and cruiser numbers are down. And SEA has the smallest percentage of DD and cruisers than any other regional server.

Darwin waits for no one, and evolution has taken its toll.

The few DD players playing high tiers today are generally pretty good, and most cruisers, too, that are still braving the meta know how to play. Both DD and cruisers know what they need to do, they just have trouble knowing when they can do it.

Battleship players, on the other hand, well ... are what you play when you suck at the game but hate getting killed at the 5 minute mark.

In most high tier matches now there are 1-2 BBs per side who are literally clueless about what battleships are supposed to do. This is most obvious late game. Recently I've lost an stunning large number of games on points after being in lead initially, simply from BB drivers not wanting to push in an hold objectives.

Now, ok, I get it when there is an Asashio protecting a cap, or when we still have a viable path to victory, but when the clock and points are running out, any BB who is not in a cap by that point has misplayed, there is no excuse. Yet you'll see full health friendly Amagi and FdG, ships ideally suited for late game brawling, just kiting off lazily on in spawn waiting out the clock. What is even the point of being there? 

I don't often play BB, but I've noticed that when I do I play completely differently than 70% of the other BB players. I'll mix in with my cruisers, I'll push up the middle, I'll cap or drive out enemy ships from around islands, Ill abuse my concealment to do sneak attacks. 

The point is, BBs form an integral part of the front lines in WoWS. You have a leadership position, deciding when to hold and when to push. You are the pressure on the enemy team opening space for the cruisers to operate, which in turn protects the DDs, who in turn protect you. Being further back than you should be compromises the entire team.

I would say, the problem with the majority of the playerbase is that cruiser players play like battleships and battleship players play like cruisers. At high tiers though the cruisers have mostly pulled themselves together. It's time for the battleships to shape up.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles

Surprising considering this is sniping server? No.

Surprising considering that players are kiasee? No.

And please, cv numbers are just up fractions only. Higher than other servers? Yes. Surprising considering the first two points I mentioned? No.

[CLAY]
3,230 posts
14,185 battles

I’ve was playing a lot of GK last week.

Getting close in a BB and pushing is hard (for a mediocre player) When dealing with large gun ships such as Yamato, and especially Thunderer. You can still only take so much damage, and unless you are very skilled, or in one of those ships, it’s hard to return fire, especially in a GK.

Especially when there are aircraft spotting you in the game and little chance to hide.

Am I defending BB players? Not really.

To be honest, I’m more annoyed at the people who made the meta this way.

Although if problems like this are magnified on the SEA service, then it’s no wonder why developers keep making changes which Reenforce this meta, rather than reduce it.

[TLS]
4,857 posts
21,287 battles
4 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Although if problems like this are magnified on the SEA service, then it’s no wonder why developers keep making changes which Reenforce this meta, rather than reduce it.

Because on other servers, they are suicidal potatoes. When they skew the statistics 3:1 in their favour and then we have people who don't know how to read spreadshits analysing them, it's not going to be pretty.

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 1

[LBAS]
2,062 posts
3,738 battles

CV number going up is INTENDED, its the main purpose of CV rework. to make the CV more popular.

BB number going up is UNINTENDED, this is because IJN AP Bomb CV damage is reduced.....

the best way to decrease BB and HC population is to bring back Hakuryu old self...... also make AP bomb always overpen light cruiser......

IF CV attack is so weak, why the hell i am playing CA or DD? BB deal the highest damage now according to Spreadsheet!

CV is no longer terror for BB player, DD is no longer terror for BB player..... of course i am picking BB

also WG is planning to add BB with smoke..... and SAP.... the most Broken BB

5,692 posts
9,504 battles

That is what it is in a game that promotes staying alive and dealing as much damage as possible. And many BBs don't have bad dispersion to penalize shooting way too far, at 20km+ range. The BB with the best sigma in the game ALSO gets the longest gun range in the game!

Who dares win? Nope! Who has more range wins!

Admittedly, when I play BBs, I also have the mindset of kiting most of the times. But when the enemies are few and victory is very close, I always go in for the caps or the kills. However, being shot at by HE CRs and DDs is one thing, but being shot at by JB, Conq or Thund who uses HE is as annoying as it gets. Have some bloody dignity, use AP and end me quickly, goddammit.

May as well change the name of the game BACK to World of Battleships to make it true.

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-

Edited by Paladinum

[NCOTS]
503 posts
12,665 battles

Maybe they are 100% potatoes.

Or maybe they would like to preserve more HP for late game. But currently early game initiative is way too important, if one team has the better coordination between all 4 classes (which in BB's case, stay in mid range near the cap and provide a fear factor + accurate shooting), managed to kill/crippled the enemy DD in the early stage, there's little chance for the enemy to regain that flank. Due to the low DD count, sometimes losing the only DD in less than 5 minutes automatically decides the match outcome.

There will be no late game comeback if the BBs decided to position too far away to influence the cap contesting. 

• Cool 1

[151ST]
3,555 posts
11,945 battles

I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd genuinely love to see the datasets to back up your theory.

Anecdotally I've been seeing more DDs lately, like a lot more...

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,014 posts
13,728 battles

Well the thing is; even if you try to push in your BB, you really cannot always expect anyone to follow you. In fact I get reported more often for not heeding the F9 spam, than being campy as most do, even if that push actually win the game.

In the end, I do things arbitrarily while at the same time I don't care of what the other 11 players do. If they somehow read my mind, and do things properly; they would get my compliment. I know this is supposed to be a team game. But because WG makes it unappealing to do so, it's only natural if most players are selfish.

• Cool 2

[MRI]
3,791 posts
16,857 battles

Eh I dunno DD numbers going down. From my own anecdotal experience (for the high tiers at least), there are more matches with 0 DDs, but there are also more matches with 4 DDs per side. I certainly disagree about the remaining DD players being good. Maybe it depends on the tier and time you are playing?

As for BBs, well there will always be bad BB players who like camping at the back, due to a multitude of reasons.

My beef though, is that these bad players tend to play Thunderers for some reason. And there have been a lot of Thunderers as of late. Like half to 3/4 of my team's BBs are Thunderers. And more often then not they always are in the back sniping. Even if most of the team is dead, the remaining friendly cruisers and BBs are low on HP, they will still be at the back with relatively full health.

Gosh I just hate most Thunderer players on this server. I know there are some good Thunderer players, but most I have seen are just plain bad and selfish.

5 hours ago, rookieFTW said:

There will be no late game comeback if the BBs decided to position too far away to influence the cap contesting. 

Indeed. It is far better to sacrifice a bit of health to get a good  early game initiative or position, than it is to preserve your HP for a late-game comeback that never happens. The IJN tried to do something similar in WW2, preserving their mightiest assets for a grand decisive battle that never came. By the time they did try to do that at Leyte, it was far too late and the enemy advantage was just too great. (oh hey that rhymes lol)

• Cool 1

Administrator, WG Staff
298 posts

I am learning there are BBs that you can push in, and there are BBs you are meant to stay at max range (otherwise you will be blapped then ded 💀). 

From when I first started playing this game, I have always seen BBs as tanky boys. By choosing your targets strategically, you are making space for your teammates to do their job. I understand everyone's frustrations, but coordination and teamwork are two really big elements of the game. 

Try to work together and support each other. 

:fish_cute_2:

[SMOKE]
2,504 posts
18,035 battles

Too many camping BB can be a issue but even more so its the lack of support and grouping and that goes both way , without the heavy guns at the front there is literally no close support, no fire cover and certainly no tanking, on the other hand the abundance of BB ( and then thrown in a couple or a trio of Super Cruisers who equally camp most of the time ) and we are left with few slot for any light force or support ( the normal Cruisers ) , its not the number of DD its the numbers of BB and Super Cruisers per team ... in sort most of the time 2/3 of the team are BB, Super Cruiser , CV altogether sometime even more , and the few remaining slots are to be filled with DD and CA /CL . There is just not enough support fleet around which further discourage big guns and Super Cruiser to force forward and group , team, and push ... and that further hammer the up front light force , DD in particular .. and of course only those with the leisure of margin of error had the liberty to choose, and so many just choose to mid and back lane camping, sniping .. and for those who do not had the luxury , the DD and CL and even some CA , the choice is simple, just refuse to play. Nobody like to be simply at the mercy of enemy's Radar, Planes, long range secondaries, long range sniping fire doing all the so call up front tactical thing when your teammates , those with the HP, the Armor, and the guns to deal with enemy , all who would only back lane ... its not hard to see why DD / CL / CA players are simple refusing to play or if they do, they play it safe, they play it selfish , and for good reason too ... if the big guns and the super cruiser decide even with all their HP, Armor, and fire power they need to back off , then its not hard to tell those who don't just as well NEED to ...

The meta on this serve somehow is always let the others do the real fighting and me , well, sorry ,NO;  and this is exhibited by all class of ships but significantly by BB and Super Cruisers, who can abuse their range, armor, and HP for it ... and those who do not had this , they just stop playing or go play their own BB and Super Cruiser instead ... which of course further the problem ..

I've said it in prior discussions I feel that for now at mid to high tier there is a distinct disconnection between the 2 groups, the big guns and Super Cruisers ( and some CA , say Zao, Henri ) and those who simply cannot range it .. in all sort of manners

• Cool 1

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,684 posts
5,767 battles

Its brilliant fun playing dds atm, but really tough at the same time.

I can't push in to caps with no support at all, the enemy team ALWAYS brings their radar cruisers, planes aggressively to contest any caps I'm taking.

It was like this before, it is like this now, it will be like this after.

So, I got a Halland....

[BONED]
790 posts
9,757 battles

Good choice. 

If you also have Jerzy then keep an eye out for enemy fighters, they are a really easy 5 planes or so in a few seconds which lets you get the +20% AA damage bonus pretty much in every game. Helps increase the deterrent!

I'm almost finished the Jutland grind and that freaking ship has me breaking out in a sweat when I play it now. Slow, shortish range torps, I am a young Skywalker on Dagoba with it.

Sign in to follow this