Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
sfcgx3

What do you think about Marceau?

19 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,695 battles

For my next coal ship I'm now more leaning towards Marceau. Initially I was considering Georgia. Can anyone who already has it provide some feedback on the ship?

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,328 battles

if you dont have a T9 prem, get georgia.

if you don't have thunderer yet, get thunderer first

as for how marceau plays...

shot-20_10.27_09_41.28-0789.thumb.jpg.7b2b309735c37349c57ce30f2de83dd3.jpg

this match just in from a bit minutes ago, might not have won but it sure was funinfuriating 

• Cool 1

[FORCE]
Modder, Member
3,004 posts
13,619 battles

Marceau is fun for trolling CVs. If you know how to wiggle your ship through everything thrown at you of course (shells bombs, rockets, etc.).

However unlike the other high tier French DDs (Le Fantasque to Kleber), Marceau's shell arc is floaty at long range.

To put it simply, Marceau is literally half Colbert. Trades half of DPM & 14k HP for the saturation gimmick & high speed. And unlike Harugumo & Khaba; Marceau doesn't take full damage from BB AP. Which makes her a real pain in the aft to kill if she goes YOLO against a lone BB.

[BONED]
776 posts
9,514 battles

Timely topic, I'll have the coal for the Thunderer tonight, and have been eyeing off the Marceau while getting the last bit of coal. 

Currently grinding the Fantastic and lordy has it been fun.

Appreciate any insights

Reinhard, when you say floaty at long range is that with AFT or just towards the base range limit?

Edited by Puggsley

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,674 posts
5,737 battles

I too am looking at coal ship, I'm not a fan of BBs and would play dds more often, I imagine Marceau enjoys non cv battles much more as it has nowhere to hide and poor AA.

I have Yamato, JB etc yet my damage rng trolling from WG is just TOO punishing, I feel any game skills translate more in a dd.

I might continue to sit on my coal, as surely there will be a russian god ship soon.

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,695 battles
2 hours ago, Puggsley said:

Timely topic, I'll have the coal for the Thunderer tonight, and have been eyeing off the Marceau while getting the last bit of coal. 

Currently grinding the Fantastic and lordy has it been fun.

Appreciate any insights

Reinhard, when you say floaty at long range is that with AFT or just towards the base range limit?

Thunderer is a great ship and I would get that first unless you have too many BBs already.

[SMOKE]
2,467 posts
17,849 battles

The question is if you can made it enjoyable to play , it's T10 and we all know how unfriendly and unforgiving playing DD these days .. not like BB CB CA you really are having all your core ship advantage countered hard and your offensive side not buffed to compensate. 

I had her she ; can be good fun provided you do not try to do the typical DD thing , she is simply not good at it. 

In the end it's opportunity cost on hand ; BB , Super Cruisers had the hp,the armor, the utility - well DD had none , you are looking at a boat that allow no error. So it's either intense fight on a DD or relative ease and OP ' rush on the Thunderer / Georgia

Edited by Mechfori

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,130 posts
23,608 battles
12 hours ago, Drakon233 said:

if you dont have a T9 prem, get georgia.

if you don't have thunderer yet, get thunderer first

as for how marceau plays...

this match just in from a bit minutes ago, might not have won but it sure was funinfuriating 

Funfuriating?

[BONED]
776 posts
9,514 battles
19 hours ago, sfcgx3 said:

Thunderer is a great ship and I would get that first unless you have too many BBs already.

Coal balanz 439.

I'm waiting for a storm.......

My fleet of BBs is growing. Probably at a faster rate than my ability to use them though.

Edited by Puggsley

[_BOB_]
24 posts
6,177 battles

Marceau is great. Initially I regretted my decision to use my resource coupon to get it but I'm glad I did now. It is a beast in clan battles too, as you can take caps quick, bait a lot of damage and waste the enemies time. Once you've taken a reasonable amount of damage, cosy up to an island and use your high shell arcs to lob over the top. 

And the Yolo ability with 12 torps is just too much fun some times.

[TWR]
Alpha Tester
1,674 posts
5,737 battles
1 hour ago, BeardyBandit said:

Marceau is great. Initially I regretted my decision to use my resource coupon to get it but I'm glad I did now. It is a beast in clan battles too, as you can take caps quick, bait a lot of damage and waste the enemies time. Once you've taken a reasonable amount of damage, cosy up to an island and use your high shell arcs to lob over the top. 

And the Yolo ability with 12 torps is just too much fun some times.

I'm this close to getting it, as I like (but then complain) about playing challenging ships.

And what of its non existent AA, and lack of smoke?.

I have Halland, and it also has no smoke so I'm getting good with that, but Hallands AA makes cv players keep away.

And Hallands fast torp reload, and 15km range is brilliant.

Halland is probably one of the best dd to use in current game, is Marceau the same?. One of the best?.

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,328 battles
1 hour ago, Mudpheart said:

I'm this close to getting it, as I like (but then complain) about playing challenging ships.

I have Halland, and it also has no smoke so I'm getting good with that, but Hallands AA makes cv players keep away.

Halland is probably one of the best dd to use in current game, is Marceau the same?. One of the best?.

it's a pretty overspecialized DD that's very strong in certain situations, but those situations are either rare or hard to force

you are the strongest dogfighting DD, but with more than 1.5km gap between you and the typical torp boat it's not easy to catch up to them and run them down without eating massive amounts of damage from his teammates 

you have the highest DPM of any DD and you can spam BB/stationary tanking CAs very hard, but your arcs are so bad that if you do it without cover even with engine boost on you risk getting whacked by returning fire

you have the best AA for a french DD, but your air concealment is still ass and while you can take chunks out of an incoming squadron's planes if the enemy CV isn't an MVR or a Haku he can still make you very dead very fast

I would say that it's a ship that's very unfriendly for newer players of this type of ship, when played in the right hands it can be terrifying

• Cool 1

[_BOB_]
24 posts
6,177 battles
5 hours ago, Mudpheart said:

The AA is okay, but certainly not Halland levels. The DefAA is good in certain situations. It won't stop a CV intent on hammering you if you're alone, but it quite effective when helping another ship defend against a strike.

The torps are very effective if you know how to bait well and can get enemies to reliably chase you. You do get 12 as well with great firing arcs so you can flood an area quickly. The range and reload is poor though, so they are more situational than Halland.

As Drakon said, a well played Marceau if terrifying to go up against.

A poor one is a free kill.

[BLESS]
1,438 posts
12,693 battles

On 10/27/2020 at 10:59 AM, Drakon233 said:

3 caps, 505 hits, 180k dmg, loss.

I can't even imagine how.

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,695 battles
6 hours ago, Puggsley said:

First game.

I need a shower.....

shot-20.10.31_01.28.58-0314.jpg

Nice game.

Thunderer is OP as it's the only BB who can do both bug damage HE and AP and does it accurately.

The side present is she also destroys you AA very quickly. One game my JB was totally AA less at end game due to a Thunderers continuously throwing me HE.

[BONED]
776 posts
9,514 battles

Yep most of the damage was between 21 and 15km against bow in targets. Gave a Haragumo a real touch up at 16km. Only got a 12 point capt at the moment, I have not really progressed the UK BBs, just got the KGV.

[AN-DO]
368 posts
7,695 battles
58 minutes ago, Puggsley said:

Yep most of the damage was between 21 and 15km against bow in targets. Gave a Haragumo a real touch up at 16km. Only got a 12 point capt at the moment, I have not really progressed the UK BBs, just got the KGV.

Expert loader is highly recommended. the line itself is a bit meh - I am stuck at Monarch. Main issue is gun accuracy - worse than German imo. But Thunderer is like Yamato accuracy or better. Only downside is very slow shells.

Edited by sfcgx3

[REPOI]
[REPOI]
6,778 posts
28,328 battles
19 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

3 caps, 505 hits, 180k dmg, loss.

I can't even imagine how.

terrible teams, that's how

Sign in to follow this