You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Stupid Halloween rubbish again

21 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,146 posts
23,730 battles

I could say something concilliatory like, "oh I bet the art department had fun" or "different people like different things" or "maybe people can farm Elite Capt XP" in an attempt to sound even handed, fair and as if I give a damn about such things.

But.

I'm not gonna.

It's just %#@& pure and simple.

It's not just that's it's a ridiculous, pathetic and just plain terrible event (which it is), it's what we COULD have had in a World War II Naval Battle game instead of this utter garbage.

The time spent creating this %#@&ed up %#@& could have been used to make higher difficulty versions of current operations, bring back our lost operations or even create some actual relevant content such as The Battle of Jutland, Attack at Midway or any number of other scenarios that make actual sense and in keeping with the theme of this game.

Utterly dissappointed that this trash has rolled around again.

Woeful.

• Cool 9

[CLAY]
3,213 posts
14,114 battles

I get the feeling that WG sometimes don’t want to make a “Historically Inspired” naval game.

They just want to make a naval battle game, and used the WWI and WW2 ships to attract players.

And they now wonder why they’re losing those players who are not interested in the content they create.

• Cool 4

5,655 posts
9,443 battles
2 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I get the feeling that WG sometimes don’t want to make a “Historically Inspired” naval game.

Oh the game is still inspired by the naval warfare theme. The theme is still there. But it's only a theme.

You can make a savory dish inspired by a sweet dessert. Many technologies are inspired by seemingly unrelated things in Nature. Inspiration works like that.

Though, a Space-themed mode for Halloween - which has always been about magic and monsters, is a scary thing. 3spoopy5me.

I will give them a slip because of Halloween (and April's Fools for the same reason), but any other time, it's always a "no". Like the Savage Battle out of nowhere and a horrible grind for a T9 prem that should have been a T8.

Edited by Paladinum

Administrator, WG Staff
298 posts

Hey y'all. 

I'm super interested in what you have to say here, but I want to point out that the Halloween event is meant to be fun and thematic to the holiday! This doesn't rule out historically themed events and content. 

That being said, I'm sorry this event isn't quite your thing. Should I put in the request for more anime ships? :cap_tea:

-Sail

• Cool 4

5,655 posts
9,443 battles
1 minute ago, mademoisail said:

I'm super interested in what you have to say here, but I want to point out that the Halloween event is meant to be fun and thematic to the holiday! This doesn't rule out historically themed events and content. 

Sorry but even the theme is wrong. Key Battle is Space-themed, not fantasy (steampunk and monsters) like all the previous Halloween modes :fish_glass:

1 minute ago, mademoisail said:

That being said, I'm sorry this event isn't quite your thing. Should I put in the request for more anime ships? :cap_tea:

I'd rather have WoWS x Starcraft/Warcraft tho :fish_book:

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,213 posts
14,114 battles
50 minutes ago, mademoisail said:

It’s more the fact that historical operations such as Dynamo, Hermes and Cherry Blossom have been gone for a year and a half, no new operations have been added since, and instead, It seems lot of work has been put into this new Halloween mode.

From what I’ve seen, WG seems to prefer to add PvP content over the PvE content of the operations, but even so, it should be possible to stage a history based battle with players on both sides, in appropriate ships.

Although maybe we’re just in the minority. Maybe the majority of players prefer the sci-fi/spooky stuff over the historical operations.

• Cool 6

[-CAT-]
3,369 posts
13,513 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

I'd rather have WoWS x Starcraft/Warcraft tho :fish_book:

Yes please.

93630284_voidelf.thumb.jpg.b3caf9104c662a746eebf6eba7b86be2.jpgalarak.thumb.jpg.d6aaeef04f7d0dabaff1b2d8e89a17f2.jpg

35 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

It’s more the fact that historical operations such as Dynamo, Hermes and Cherry Blossom have been gone for a year and a half, no new operations have been added since, and instead, It seems lot of work has been put into this new Halloween mode.

From what I’ve seen, WG seems to prefer to add PvP content over the PvE content of the operations, but even so, it should be possible to stage a history based battle with players on both sides, in appropriate ships.

WG not catering to both PvP and PvE is foolish.

WG is only generating half (possibly even less) of the revenue. :Smile_facepalm:

WG being a money grab since PR PR fiasco shows WG's desperation.

39 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Although maybe we’re just in the minority. Maybe the majority of players prefer the sci-fi/spooky stuff over the historical operations.

As well a different game mode time to time.

Apart from weekly operations, WG could add weekly game mode (A weekly rotating game mode such as arms race, 1v1, asymmetric, respawn, attack & defend, twilight, etc).

I ran out of up votes again. I owe the lot of you for a while.

• Cool 1

[LBAS]
Modder, Member
6,751 posts
43,389 battles

The tradition has been ignored and forgotten.

You lost your soul.

Doom is about to begin.

Edited by Manacetamol
  • Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,146 posts
23,730 battles
2 hours ago, mademoisail said:

But it does, doesn't it? The time spent on halloween things is time not spent on doing historically themed events and content right?

2 hours ago, mademoisail said:

I see what you did there 😛

Yes, fickle and hypocritical humans sometimes complain and focus about one inconsistancy while ignoring other inconsistancies in the same system - especially if the aesthethics of said inconsistancy appeal to them!

But a copy paste of Takao to make a Maya hardly warrants a "damn you WG, you spent too much time making Maya and not something good!"

And sure, I run Montana with Optimus Prime camo. And Hipper screams at me in Japanese Schoolgirl while helming a German ship.

But these things "don't get in the way" or prevent other cool things from happening - and can just be turned off or ignored.

There are many places to get your Halloween fix, it just doen't need to be here.

My frustration, loathing and disgust with it won't change it, all I can do is have my say.

I mean, there are people whose opinion I seek,  I respect and play with who absolutely hate Research Bureau (as many do). I listen, they have their say (as many do) and I nod uncommittally... and then quietly go and buy Siegfried... and reset something from time to time and hope to get Ohio one day.

So yeah. It's not a World War II Naval Sim and it's not "pure" in any way.

I just hate the Halloween rubbish.

And I'm going to say so.

Enjoy what you will.

I don't want to argue with WG staff, especially someone who is helping and supporting us in SEA but neither can I remain silent when something gets on my goat like this.

• Cool 2

23 posts
17,652 battles
7 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

They just want to make a naval battle game, and used the WWI and WW2 ships to attract players.

And they now wonder why they’re losing those players who are not interested in the content they create.

Would love to have historically fought battles, regardless of who won historically, BUT HEY,  how would they be able to put OP Russian paper ships into battles that they were not involved in or left the drawing board, there lay's your answer. 

• Funny 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,146 posts
23,730 battles
1 hour ago, Lowyat said:

I see max_rage has returned

40555030._SY475_.jpg

• Funny 3

Alpha Tester
2,289 posts
8,802 battles
5 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

You're on to something here.

Do modern pop-culture fans outnumber naval history buffs?

Especially where it matters??      i.e  the Devs?

I think the answer will determine why I have a cat called Isoruku who Skippers one of my WWII ships, but I can never refight the Battle of the Coral Sea.  In a game whose core is all about Naval Battles.

ofc, it's all about the $$$

• Cool 4

[MRI]
3,782 posts
16,783 battles

Eh I don't know.

I mean WG could make historical operations instead of Halloween stuff, but they could just as likely not make anything at all. Then we would get neither Halloween nor historical stuff.

Personally I don't really care about the Halloween PvP events - I only liked the PvE ones like Saving Transylvania and Sunray in the Darkness. But if WG wants to make Halloween themed stuff and people want to play the event or buy the camos, then that's good for them. I may not indulge in them, but I won't complain about them either. It is just not something for me and that is perfectly fine.

And Mademoisail does bring up a good point. If you look at it that way, all these anime collabs or the recent WH40K or Transformers collabs could certainly be seen getting in the way of historical stuff. Yet I certainly don't see a big uproar when it is big tiddy anime girls being offered instead. Maybe because all the anti-anime "muh historical" folk left the game a long time ago I dunno. Point is I don't see why people should complain about Halloween stuff but not anime stuff.

In any case, I think the point has been made clear to WG that players would want to see some historical themed Ops like Dynamo and Cherry Blossom.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,146 posts
23,730 battles
5 minutes ago, Thyaliad said:

In any case, I think the point has been made clear to WG that players would want to see some historical themed Ops like Dynamo and Cherry Blossom.

This.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
3,213 posts
14,114 battles
1 hour ago, Thyaliad said:

And Mademoisail does bring up a good point. If you look at it that way, all these anime collabs or the recent WH40K or Transformers collabs could certainly be seen getting in the way of historical stuff. Yet I certainly don't see a big uproar when it is big tiddy anime girls being offered instead. Maybe because all the anti-anime "muh historical" folk left the game a long time ago I dunno. Point is I don't see why people should complain about Halloween stuff but not anime stuff.

Yeah. To be honest, It’s no so much historical for me. I don’t mind the collabs, but I’ve gotten the impression that art design team and gameplay design team are separate. You can’t say that WG wastes time on camos instead of operations or game balance because different skills and different department.

But here, with the halloween/space/savage game modes? Yeah, I feel that the game design department could spend this time on operations instead. Especially considering that there are 4 operations that are not active for the past year and a half.

To be honest, don’t even care if they want to make it different theme, just want to use my existing ships rather than specific ‘even only’ ships.

• Cool 2

[PRINZ]
81 posts

I feel this mode is :etc_swear: after all,  Because not everyone like "Battle Royote"-like game mode (And this is more like "Hunger game" rather then battle royote),  You always cannot win (How was that entertaining when a game that you cannot win)

The real problem is everyone can always bullying a lonely  player,  Or "Team up at first, Betrayed at last"...

By the way,  Where's the event's from the halloween last year and post years ?      I rather playing that game mode then this :etc_swear:

Edited by V_Wyvern

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
1,495 posts
11,841 battles
22 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

But it does, doesn't it? The time spent on halloween things is time not spent on doing historically themed events and content right?

That's not quite how it works.  Halloween has always been a test bed for possible future content (actual historical content, of the type you are requesting), covered in a Halloween style facade.  It's supposed to be fun and silly, while giving the devs good data and feedback as to whether their concept for a potential future addition to the game will be viable.

Think submarines - this started in game as a Halloween event.  This gave them good data to be able to make a decision on whether they would go forward with the class, and a starting point for the design of that class.  If this isn't new historical content, I don't know what is.  Who cares if they dressed it up in Halloween costume for a couple of weeks?

If you want new operations based on historical battles, then continue to argue for it and hope they'll implement it, but taking away the devs primary large player number test bed because you don't like the theme or feel offended because it took away dev time from something else is counter-productive to the game's future.

The devs no doubt realise that a portion of the population want more operations.  If they aren't doing them, it's because they consider their energies are best spent elsewhere, likely because the popularity of operations is too low.  I personally wouldn't mind in the slightest if they bring in new operations, but at the same time I know that I only ever do an operation once, and then never play it again.  I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who do the same, and the devs likely feel their time isn't being most efficiently spent if a significant portion of the player base simply don't play that part of the game.  I have no doubt if the numbers showed operations (or PVE in general) was wildly popular, we'd have a whole lot of it.  It seems they don't show that, because ops have been put thoroughly on the back burner.

• Cool 1

5,655 posts
9,443 battles
18 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I don’t mind the collabs, but I’ve gotten the impression that art design team and gameplay design team are separate.

It should be obvious because WG are a big company and thus, should have multiple departments within them. Even the Art Dept. would have many different groups within - 3D modelers, ship skin artists, camo artists, map makers, etc.

Making an Operation requires more programmers than artists, and making a new themed PvP game mode requires more artists than programmers. And only WG know how many different groups of programmers there are - script writers, mechanics coders, etc.? As there are very few Operations in the game, historical -and- otherwise, I don't really think that WG have many script/scenario writers to begin with, and that group doesn't seem to have more members over the years.

This game isn't Starcraft 2 where the PvP mode is based off the PvE (aka the Story mode/Campaigns), this game only had its "true" PvE mode (Scenario) added 2 years after its official launch, and PvP has always been the core focus since the beginning. You can say the Scenario and Co-op modes are side concerns to the devs and WG will agree with that.

In short, saying that "WG should make A, B, C instead of wasting time and effort to make X, Y, Z" is a sentiment I can't agree with, especially when everyone knows that it's the established time for WG to implement something unrealistic/fantasy/arcady just for one Update. A.k.a. April's Fools and Halloween.

Considering that WG said several times during 2019 and 2020 that they are focusing on PvP, so I have zero expectation that they are making more "historical" Operations, or adding the removed ones back. They don't even add certain PvP modes back for testing, like Respawn mode or Bering Sea racing-like mode.

While I do like Key Battles, I have no idea what they are (potentially) testing with it, or this is just a mode that they collectively wanted to make for a long time.

19 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

And Rubbish Burnheap is rubbish. The players are awfully vocal against it, but WG are still pushing it, so apparently they don't care.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
5,146 posts
23,730 battles
13 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

That's not quite how it works.  Halloween has always been a test bed for possible future content (actual historical content, of the type you are requesting), covered in a Halloween style facade.  It's supposed to be fun and silly, while giving the devs good data and feedback as to whether their concept for a potential future addition to the game will be viable.

Think submarines - this started in game as a Halloween event.  This gave them good data to be able to make a decision on whether they would go forward with the class, and a starting point for the design of that class.  If this isn't new historical content, I don't know what is.  Who cares if they dressed it up in Halloween costume for a couple of weeks?

If you want new operations based on historical battles, then continue to argue for it and hope they'll implement it, but taking away the devs primary large player number test bed because you don't like the theme or feel offended because it took away dev time from something else is counter-productive to the game's future.

The devs no doubt realise that a portion of the population want more operations.  If they aren't doing them, it's because they consider their energies are best spent elsewhere, likely because the popularity of operations is too low.  I personally wouldn't mind in the slightest if they bring in new operations, but at the same time I know that I only ever do an operation once, and then never play it again.  I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who do the same, and the devs likely feel their time isn't being most efficiently spent if a significant portion of the player base simply don't play that part of the game.  I have no doubt if the numbers showed operations (or PVE in general) was wildly popular, we'd have a whole lot of it.  It seems they don't show that, because ops have been put thoroughly on the back burner.

I'm not going to argue with you or say you are wrong.

I stand by my OP though.

• Cool 2